Trust In Me (Triplets book 2)

Por Sarahbeth552002

#1 in Chicklit One day, in the elevator at work, Shayne Richards saw him. He was handsome and quiet, and he d... Mais

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 (The End)
Next to Me (Triplets book 3)

Chapter 4

8.8K 793 49
Por Sarahbeth552002

Shay had brought in Elevator Man's jacket but, to her disappointment, he wasn't on the elevator that morning, so she carried it to her desk and placed it on the back of her chair. It was at about half-past ten when The Dragon came to her cubicle and told her, with a smug look, that she was wanted in Mr. Wright's office at two o'clock sharp. It was evident that The Dragon thought she was about to be fired.

Ellen joined her at lunch and told Shay more about the job. There would be travel involved as well as a few late nights every week, but it all sounded wonderfully challenging, and Shay was almost eager to win the job.

Half an hour before her interview, she visited the lady's room and took a few minutes to freshen herself up. She made sure her hair was still wrapped on a neat coil, and she brushed out a few wrinkles in her skirt. She had chosen flats to wear instead of heels because she didn't want to tower above Mr. Wright. Shay had learned that some men were intimidated by taller women.

It was a quick walk from the lady's room down the corridor to Ellen's office, and she took a deep breath before she entered the quiet oasis. The room was almost vintage, with dark wood floors and walls with gold lettering that spelled out Wright Financial. Ellen's desk was simple with a computer, telephone, and not much else. There were two plush chairs in cream with a small table on one side of the room.

"Oh good, you're here." Ellen smiled at her. "He's with someone and will only be a minute."

Shay nodded as she stood awkwardly in the middle of the room. It was different seeing Ellen in this environment, and she felt as if the less said, the better.

"Relax," Ellen said as she came around her desk and placed her hands on her arms, giving them a supportive squeeze. "He's not an ogre. I promise."

"Your bare desk suggests otherwise," Shay said as she wondered where all her personal items were. "You don't have any photos or a coffee cup."

"Come with me." Ellen linked her arm through Shay's and led her to a door behind her desk. "This is all for show. I have a camera in here that shows me when people enter for an appointment, this is my real office." Ellen opened the door onto a bright and sunny room with lots of plants and photos. "This is where I get all my work done. I only sit out there if I need to greet an appointment."

Shay felt the uneasy feeling in her stomach subside. "I thought Mr. Wright might be worse than The Dragon."

"Not at all," Ellen disagreed as she led the way back out of her office and into the main entry area. As she did, the door to Mr. Wright's office opened, and a beautiful redhead exited. She stopped and looked at Shay with narrowed eyes.

"I know you, don't I?" She asked in an accusing voice.

The woman did look familiar, which meant that she could only be part of New York's upper crust, but so far, Shay's connection to the famous Richards had gone unnoticed, and she wanted to keep it that way.

"I don't think so," Shay said. "I'm in accounting."

The redhead gave her one more glance before she breezed out of the office.

"Nate, your two o'clock interview is here." Ellen smiled over at Shay once more as she spoke into the phone. He must have agreed to see her because Ellen set the phone down and told her to come to her real office when the interview was over.

Shay walked toward the door with a nod and a deep breath as she turned the knob with a trembling hand. She couldn't believe she was so nervous. As she entered, she noticed that the desk was empty, and she did a quick scan of the room to see where Mr. Wright might be. Her eyes grew wide as Elevator Man stepped out of a room on the left.

There was a long silence as they looked at one another. His expression was hard to read, but she got the impression that he was as surprised to see her as she was to see him.

"Shayne Richards?" he asked in his deep, measured voice.

"Yes, Nathan Wright?" she asked in turn, and he nodded as he motioned for a chair.

"I brought your suit jacket back, but you weren't on the elevator," she said in a nervous rush as she took a seat.

Calm down. It's only an interview, Shay reminded herself as she swallowed nervously.

Nathan Wright held his tie to his chest as he sat in the chair across from her. It was to his credit that he didn't sit behind his desk. His choice of seat made everything a little less formal.

His green eyes met Shay's brown ones before he reached over to the table between them and picked up a tablet.

"Ms. Richards-"

"Everyone calls me Shay," she insisted.

He nodded as he opened something on the tablet and scanned it.

"Your resume is impressive. You have quite a few degrees." He set the tablet back down and picked up a pen.

Shay nodded. "Yes, my family was sure I would be a professional student for a while." Shay bit her bottom lip. It was probably the wrong thing to say. It made her look like she was directionless.

"But you landed in accounting?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

Shay nodded. "Numbers make sense when not a lot does. They don't lie."

"No, they don't," he agreed. "Are you happy where you are?" he leaned back in his seat and watched her.

"Not really. I want something more challenging, and I don't particularly like my current boss."

"Yes, The Dragon," he nodded. Shay noticed that he was clenching a pen in his left hand. "I worked in her department when I first started. My," he cleared his throat, "my father felt it necessary for me to work my way up through all departments."

"My time there might be useful in this position. I already know many of the accounts." Shay thought it was a good point. "Ellen explained some of what the job might entail, and I know I can manage it. Traveling isn't a problem, nor are late nights." In fact, now that she knew who she would be working with on those late nights, it would most definitely not be a problem.

"You know Ellen well?" Nathan Wright asked as he leaned forward.

"We have lunch every day."  As she said the words, it struck her. Ellen knew! She had known all along who Elevator Man was and set her up.

Shay didn't know if she should be mad at her friend or pleased for pushing the issue.

"Thank you, Ms. Richards. I will let you know by the end of the day tomorrow." Nathan Wright stood and moved back to his desk, effectively dismissing her while neither his voice nor face gave anything away.

Shay stood. "I'll get your suit jacket back to Ellen." It was an attempt for him to interact with her once more, but he wasn't biting.

He nodded but didn't look at her.

Shay quickly exited his office and entered Ellen's. Ellen looked shocked to see her.

"That was quick," Ellen said as she looked at Shay.

"You knew! This entire time you knew who Elevator Man was!" she hissed.

Ellen sighed. "I knew, but that's not why I put your name in Shay. I really do need someone I can trust, and I'm running out of time. Nate is a kind man, and he is great to work for, and I know you would love the job. I truly believe that it would be a good fit for both of you."

"I doubt I got the job, Ellen. It was the shortest interview in history. He seemed to be settling in to have a nice chat, but then he just stood up and dismissed me."

"What happened?" Ellen frowned.

"I told him I knew you." Shay shook her head, not really understanding why that would matter.

"Look, now that you know who he is, do you want the job if he offers it?" Ellen came to the point as she looked down at a blinking light on her desk.

"Yes," Shay said before she could think better of it.

"I'll see what I can do, but I have to go now." She picked up a notepad and went through the side door in her office.

Shay took a shaky breath as she thought about Nathan Wright. She finally had a name to go with the face, and it suited him. What did Ellen call him, Nate? Shay rolled it around in her head as she exited the office. Nate, she liked the sound of it.

*******

"Ellen?" Nate asked as she entered his office.

"Nate," Ellen said as she sat across from him.

"What are you up to?" He threw his pen down on the table.

"It's simple, Nate. I trust her. We need someone we can trust. We're running out of time!" Ellen insisted with a strategic wobble to her voice.

"But not her!" he shook his head.

"Why, because you're attracted to her? There are worse things in the world than working with someone you find attractive." Ellen threw out.

"Not many!" Nate rubbed his face as he thought about the previous night in the elevator. He had purposely taken the stairs that morning in an effort to avoid her, and now Ellen was pushing them together.

"Please, Nate." Ellen let a few tears fall and watched as the muscle in Nate's jaw jumped. He knew he was being played, and he was letting her do it. "It'll make everything easier."

"Fine! But if it goes south, I'm blaming you." Nate picked up his pen again, letting her know the conversation was through.

Ellen made a quick exit with a smile on her face. A lot could happen in twelve weeks.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

2.5M 93.8K 30
"Dammit woman, talk to me," Zach pulls at his hair in frustration; his eyes never leave my face. There is a hint of sadness in his voice but other th...
2.3M 74K 48
《 Highest Ranking: #1 Teen Fiction 》 《 Highest Ranking: #2 Young Adult 》 《 Highest Ranking: #2 Love 》 "You want to know my secret, love?" He asked, h...
155K 6.2K 80
#6 in BOOKS and #33 in CHICKLIT(highest ranking )---- Jessie is hopeless about finding love, after asking out the fourteenth guy she had a crush on...
5.2K 421 21
Savannah goes on holiday with her boyfriend, Theo, and her friends. She thinks she loves Theo more than anything and Theo gives her the world. They'r...