𝕿𝐇𝐄 𝕯𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋'𝐒 𝕸𝐈𝐒𝐓...

By Thelonewolf9101112

❝ 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕. 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒆𝒆, 𝑰 𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒎𝒐... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven

Chapter Seven

770 35 1
By Thelonewolf9101112

≿━━━━༺ ♱ ༻━━━━≾
𝕿𝐇𝐄 𝕯𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋'𝐒 𝕸𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒
≿━━━━༺ ♱ ༻━━━━≾

At first, Ji Eun couldn't process what was happening. She froze, completely taken by surprise. By the time her mind had caught up, Yo Han had moved away.

"I had to do that. At least once," he muttered before walking back out, leaving Ji Eun staring at where he had stood like a deer in headlights.

A slow smile stretched her lips, the resemblance of an old twinkle lighting up her eyes. "That definitely wasn't a rejection."

She gently got up from her bed and hobbled over to the bathroom. Her eyes widened as she looked down to see her sprained foot wrapped neatly in bandages. She leant against the wall, staring at her foot, remembering the gentleness of the kiss that hadn't yet lost its taste on her lips.

   "The reason why I haven't left," she murmured, eyes still sparkling, "is because no matter how bad I'm hurt, no matter how broken I am, or how inhuman I become...you have never once abandoned me, or left me alone to deal with it. The least I can do is return the favour."

   Her gaze shifted to her bedside drawer. Six pictures stood on it: a picture of Isaac, his wife and little Elijah, another similar one with Yo Han in it, and yet another one with Ji Eun joining them, placed in the centre. One picture on the right showed Yo Han and Ji Eun from when they were younger, about a year after Yo Han's father died. Yo Han leant against her casually with an arm around her small frame as she rolled her eyes with an amused smile on her face.

   Another picture on the left showed the same Ji Eun and Yo Han, but Isaac had joined them, throwing arm around Ji Eun from her other side. The three of them were smiling, perfectly content and happy to have finally found some freedom at last. The last picture, was one of Yo Han and Ji Eun, with Ji Eun holding little Elijah against her waist, between them. It was the happiest she had been since the kidnapping and it showed, her smile glowing despite her thin and drawn face.

   "This is my family. Where you are, is my home. I would give my life to keep you both safe, just as I know you would for me."

̶̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶   ♱    ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶

   Ji Eun was making her way down to the living room when she heard Ga On's voice.

   "Have I done something to offend you?" He demanded.

   "Your face." She heard Elijah's voice snap after a moment's pause.

   "Say what?"

   "Your face annoys me." Ji Eun winced, her heart aching as she imagined how Elijah must feel, looking at someone who looked exactly like her father. "The nerve..." the girl trailed off.

   "The nerve? What's wrong with my face?" Ga On demanded but Elijah ignored him and rolled away on her wheelchair.

   "Why did Yo Han pick up trash like this? A total knockoff."

   "Wait. Wait." He called, limping after her.

   Ji Eun's hand grabbing his arm stopped him from moving forward. He looked up at her in surprise.

   "Don't strain yourself," she muttered, not looking at him, but staring sadly at Elijah's receding back. "And leave Elijah be, she isn't very welcoming of strangers."

   "I thought this was Judge Kang's house," he said, even as he breathed heavily from the strain of exploring the house.

"It is," she assured him, a small smile on her face as she guided him back up to his room. "I just happen to live here as well," she answered his question before he could ask it.

"Are you two in a relationship or something? Like, are you secretly married?"

Ji Eun laughed at that, shaking her head. "No, we're not secretly married, and we're not in a relationship." She paused, then frowned. "Actually, I'm not quite sure about the latter part, it's sort of a question mark for now."

She didn't know who was more surprised at this admission, Ga On or herself. She had gotten carried away, forgetting that though she had never imagined she would see this face within this house again, this was not Isaac. She shook her head and relapsed into a tense silence. Ga On didn't question her further.

   She left him in his room, slowly went over to her room, closing her door behind her. Tears slid down her cheeks. He looked too much like Isaac, too much like the person she had grown to call her brother, her family. Seeing that face in those halls, speaking with that same voice... it was too much.

   "He is not Isaac." She told herself firmly, though her voice trembled. "He is someone different, someone younger than me. Get a hold of yourself, Song Ji Eun!"

   Then she began to sob, feeling too alone, too much like she was being suffocated. She got up shakily, moving across the room to the tiny closet that held some of her most precious items. She pulled out her violin case, placing it on her bed and opening it. A sad smile came over her face as she gazed down at it.

   "Even this was your gift to me." She murmured, taking it out and placing on her shoulder and against her jaw. Her expert hands moved the bow across the strings deftly, pouring her heart and soul into the music that sprang from the instrument. She didn't realise that Ga On could hear her from down the hall, and though he was curious and almost certain that she was the one playing, he was too tired and let the soft melody lull him to sleep.

   She hadn't realised she had fallen asleep until she woke up to Yo Han's worried face hovering over her own as he placed his hand over her forehead. Their eyes met and he temporarily froze. After a pause he took his hand away and looked away as she propped herself up hastily.

   "I was just checking to see if you had a fever," he explained calmly, though his ears were bright red.

   "I guessed as much." Now that her initial panic and surprise had passed, amusement flickered in her eyes as Yo Han tried to seem casual. He never could hide his true emotions from her.

   "I was worried," he blurted, still refusing to meet her eyes.

   "Oh?"

   "I'm sorry. About that kiss."

   The smile vanished from her eyes. "Oh."

   His head snapped up, his eyes widening as he rushed to correct himself. "I mean, I'm sorry I did it so suddenly, without your permission- I was worried I might have triggered something and maybe that was why you seem so tired and-" he cut himself off as he finally looked at Ji Eun's face. "You're laughing at me!" He accused.

   "No, I'm not," she protested even as her voice shook with laughter.

   Yo Han huffed and turned away, but gave in when he felt Ji Eun's hand slip into his. He looked back at her to see her smiling at him.

   "I meant what I said this morning," she told him, her eyes looking into his in earnest. "And I also meant it when I said I don't expect you to give me an answer right away or even feel obliged to return my feelings. I just needed you to know that I love you, despite all the trouble you drag me into."

   "I never drag you into trouble, you're the one who insists on following me everywhere." He pointed out.

   She laughed at that, nodding in acknowledgment. But Yo Han wasn't done yet.

   "I-I can't give you a clear answer." He told her haltingly, as if he were choosing his words carefully. "I can't repeat your words to you right now." Something akin to disappointment flickered in her face, her gazing moving down to her bedsheets as she made to pull her hand away.

   "But." He grasped her hand, preventing her hand from leaving his, his other hand coming up to grasp her chin in his fingers and gently forcing her to look up once more. "I do know that I have feelings for you. I know that I like as more than just a friend, I have for ages. But I am not sure it is quite love yet, and I am not confident that I will be the man you deserve. Hush, darling, let me speak." He told her gently when she made to interject. She obediently fell silent.

   "But I want to try. I want to know if what I feel is good enough, is strong enough to be called love. I want to keep you by my side, to protect you and to provide for you. If you are willing to wait for me to decide, if you are willing to wait for me to be confident enough to say those words, and if you're willing to take things slow, I will try to be everything you need, if not what you want."

   The smile that graced her lips was the most beautiful he had ever seen. It was every bit the smile she had worn in their childhood days and more. Her eyes sparkled with pure now and her cheeks were red under his intent gaze.

   "I hadn't quite realised you had a speech prepared." She chuckled. "Well, then, here's mine: Kang Yo Han, I am more than willing to wait for you to make up your mind, and I will always stay by your side even if you decide you don't return my feelings. I'm not sure what you think is a man I deserve, but no matter what you imagine him to be, I would choose you a thousand times over. I love you for you, because you are you. You are everything I need and want. You have never once abandoned me not even when I was a burden and not even when you saw my dark side, and you have never once treated me like I'm fragile because of what I've endured. Loving you was a choice, Yo Han, and it was a one that I made knowingly and one that I never have and never will, regret."

   Yo Han, for the first time in his life, seemed to be at a loss for words. He could only nod.

   "So what does this make us?" Ji Eun asked, after a few moments of awkward silence.

   "I believe the term 'dating' would fit rather well, darling." He had regained his footing and pulled away Ji Eun's. He gave a smug smile and left, leaving Ji Eun staring at his back once more.

   She let out a breathy laugh, half amused and half relieved. Her eyes twinkled and her heart felt like it would burst with happiness. She shook her head fondly, "That man will be the death of me yet."

   Determined not to let him have the last say, she marched through their connecting door, catching a glimpse of Yo Han, completely naked save for his boxers. She yelped and whipped around, turning her back to him.

   "This is why you should knock." Yo Han's amused voice muttered into her ear, a couple of minutes later.

   She turned back, relieved to see him wearing his dressing gown over a dress shirt and pants. She glared at him half heartedly. "The door was open."

   Yo Han shrugged, a small smile pulling up at his lips. "You weren't embarrassed to look at my bare chest, but you don't want to see me in my boxers?"

   She slapped his chest, though she was struggling to hide a bashful smile.

   "What did you come here for anyway?" He asked, crossing his arms.

   Ji Eun raised an eyebrow at his smug expression. "Did you really think you just tell me we're dating and walk out immediately?" She demanded.

   "Well, yes?"

   "Asshole." She grabbed his dressing gown with both hands and pulled him down, pressing her lips to his. His eyes widened with shock, but before he could process what was happening, she pulled away.

   "That's payback for this morning." And she ran back to her room, slamming the door behind her.

   Yo Han stared at the door for five whole seconds then began chuckling. "Still so childish."

̶̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶   ♱    ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶

   Ji Eun came down to the living room the same moment as Yo Han did from Ga On's room. Both smiled momentarily before walking in under Elijah's sharp gaze.

   "However Judge Kang Yo Han and Judge Song Ji Eun will never yield to such intimidation." Jin Joo was saying on the TV screen.

   "As you are all aware, our Judge Kang and Judge Song are very strong people." Jin Joo sniffed. "So I hope everyone will show lots of support. To Judge Kang Yo Han, Judge Song Ji Eun and Judge Kim Ga On-"

   "What's with this woman?" Elijah complained, catching both the adult's attention.

   "Judge Oh. She's a judge we work with." Yo Han shrugged.

   "Are you dating her?"

   Ji Eun smiled amusedly as Yo Han replied immediately with "What are you talking about? They're our associate judges so-"

   "So are you dating her?"

   "I said no." Yo Han insisted. "She's just overreacting. To the point of tears." Even Ji Eun was inclined to agree with him on this point, as much she liked the younger girl.

   "You're not dating?"

   "No!"

   "Are you really not dating?"

   "No!" Yo Han stomped a foot on the ground, fed up.

   Elijah slammed down the TV remote just as loudly. "So boring."

   Ji Eun raised an eyebrow at Yo Han in silent enquiry. He gave her the smallest shake of his head, the meaning clear in his eyes: later.

   Yo Han frowned as Elijah stopped. "Why did you bring that thing in the bedroom?"

   "Who, Ga On?"

   "Even his name sounds terrible." She scoffed. "Get rid of him quickly."

   Yo Han smirked a little as he leaned over the arm of the sofa, asking tauntingly, "Why? Does he bother you?"

   The teenager whipped her head around to glare at her uncle. "If you don't get rid of him soon, I'll kill him."

   "That would be a pity. I quite like him, though he is quite nosy," Ji Eun said pleasantly. Uncle and niece both ignored her, as they often tended to do when they were busy going at each other's throats. Ji Eun was used to it.

   "With those legs? You said that once you could walk, you'd kill me first." Elijah's face grew darker, but Ji Eun didn't stop Yo Han, like she would have. She knew why he did this, why he made her hate him on purpose. She was simply the weight on the other scale, balancing things out to make sure the younger girl could stay as stable as was possible... given her uncle's nature and the circumstances they were in.

   "Do one thing at a time, step by step, hmmm?" He mocked her.

   Elijah rolled away, face twisted with rage. After she went upstairs on the lift, he turned to the white cat that sat between him and Ji Eun.

   "Aren't you going to follow her?"

The cat promptly jumped off and tottered away, making Yo Han sigh. Ji Eun let out a breath and moved over to him, letting him wrap an arm around her shoulders as she leant against his shoulder.

"We'll be fine," she told him. "Everything will work out in the end."

Yo Han nodded wordlessly. Noticing his silence, she reached out and forced him to face her.

"You are not alone," she said firmly. "I'm here. I'll always be here."

He smiled a little at that, nodding to show her he understood. She pulled her hand away, satisfied and laid back against his shoulder once more, the two of them falling into comfortable silence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 574 13
After an argument with his best friend, Kim Ga On was driving in an annoyed state and had an accident in a hills area. Falling unconscious and injur...
81.7K 6.2K 31
We are all connected, even though our paths have never crossed before. "Let's play a game, shall we? I will count to 20 and you can run away from me...
21.3K 670 53
In this book within a book, plunge into the escapades of Satine Fontaine, who's on the run from her tumultuous past. The vibrant streets of New York...
60.2K 2K 24
**𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗜𝗦 𝗕𝗢𝗢𝗞 𝟮 𝗢𝗙 "𝗕𝗘 𝗛𝗢𝗡𝗘𝗦𝗧" 𝗜 𝗔𝗗𝗩𝗜𝗦𝗘 𝗧𝗢 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗 𝗧𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗦𝗧 𝗧𝗢 𝗕𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗘𝗥𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗧𝗛𝗜�...