Love Again ✔

By fanoshkaflippo

Official Wattpad Creator, and super proud of it! Maddox has been in love with Rose for a few months now. Just... More

Introduction
Prologue
1. Blinded By Love
2. One Year Later
3. Being Safe
4. Tell Me What To Do
6. Friends
7. Disappointment
8. An Angel
9. Unexplainable
10. Not Good Enough
11. Scared
12. Effort
13. You Always Come First
14. Rose
15. Overcoming Fears
16. Two Secrets
17. Safe With You
18. Tell Me Why
19. Only You
20. All That Matters
21. All Along
22. Too Good
23. Overestimated
24. Panic
25. Guilt
26. My Miracle
27. New Memories
28. Last Forever
29. One Day
30. This Is Forever
31. Excited
32. Love Again
Colton's Miracle

5. One Secret

3.7K 175 41
By fanoshkaflippo

Rose (Ella):

He stares at me for a minute, his eyes reflecting the inner conflict he seems to be going through. I hope I didn't ask too much of him, because he seems really uncomfortable, conflicted, and a little worried.

After another minute of me impatiently waiting for an answer, he finally nods his agreement. I'm about to beam at him when he speaks. "But."

"There's a b-but?" I frown, my heart skipping a beat. My alarm bells are going off in my mind, warning me that this looks like the beginning of another mind game. One I don't have anything left in me to play.

"I promise to do everything you just said. I'll be as honest as humanly possible. I'll always be open with you for as long as we're acquainted with each other and I'll keep the assumptions to a minimum. However, there's one secret that I can't share just yet." My heart drops. "One secret that I can't confess now, but I promise you when the time comes I'll tell you all about it."

"A-are you a secret assassin or s-something?" I'm only half joking as I wipe my sweaty palms over my jeans.

Chuckling, he shakes his head, the midnight black locks of hair above his head reminding me of a raven. "Certainly not. I'll put your mind at ease. It's about the girl I'm in love with. I wanna keep her identity a secret."

That's it?

"That's the secret you w-want to keep from me?" I ask skeptically, because this seems a little too easy. I mean, why would someone agree to be utterly honest and transparent with a complete stranger just because she has trust issues. I thought he'd run for the hills, honestly.

He doesn't even know that it's not him I don't trust. It's me. I don't trust myself with people anymore. I don't trust my judgment. I don't trust myself to understand what they mean correctly if they're not talking completely clearly. I don't trust to have a hold over my stupid emotions and know when to come back from fairytale land and live in reality.

"Yes. I can't tell you who she is. One day I will, I promise. But not now. Not before I make sure she's ready for me first. I'll be as honest with you as you are with me regarding everything else. But please don't ask me who she is, because I can't tell you that just yet. Is that okay?" He asks nervously and I want to laugh at how ridiculous he sounds.

"Of course it's o-okay." I beam at him, a whole hell of a lot more comfortable now.

"Then you have yourself a deal." Theo grins back at me and I almost sigh at how cute he looks. "Oh, and since we're on the topic of being honest, you should know that today wasn't the first time we met."

I tense at that. Searching my brain for any memory of this dashingly handsome man before today, I come up empty. "How c-come?"

"We met around a year ago, right before you started taking your classes online." He admits and my heart beats faster.

"How do y-you know about that?" Biting the inside of my cheek, I try to remain calm.

If Theo notices how nervous I am, he doesn't show it. "We used to take three classes together. One day I came up to talk to you and introduce myself but before we could have a decent conversation my friends and yours pulled us apart. I never saw you again before today. When you suddenly disappeared, I asked our professors about you, and they said that you decided to finish school online. I never thought I'd see you again." He looks at me with so much affection, his soft eyes somehow caressing my fears away and I feel the heat rise to my cheeks as I stare back at his eyes. So I immediately look down to my plate instead.

I don't remember ever seeing him before, to be honest. But if what he's saying is true then it must have been right before Jaxon left for LA. I never thought someone would care enough to ask around about me. Even my so called friends disappeared from my life as soon as I crumbled.

"Thank you." I smile at him, a real smile this time, but he seems to be in a trance of some kind, so I repeat louder. "Thank y-you, for caring enough b-back then. And for being honest with me now."

"You're welcome." He grins before going back to his burger. Silently, we enjoy our food and I find myself getting more comfortable around him than I thought was possible. Maybe I've made the right decision coming back to school after all.

After briefly arguing with him to let me pay my share of the bill, and him refusing, I decide to give him the silent treatment as we walk out of the diner.

"Elle?" Theo frowns when I don't respond. "Ella?"

I keep walking, because I don't even get what's the big deal about sharing a bill. Sure, it's nice when the guy pays and all, but we're not dating. We're barely even friends, so I don't get it. And I'm mad because he made it seem like I was somehow stabbing his manhood with a fork when I offered.

"Ella, come on. Please don't ignore me." He whines and even though he sounds too cute for me to handle I know I have to stand my ground. Especially if I plan on becoming friends with him. Which is now something I'm surprised to admit I'm not totally opposed to. I'm kind of eager to know him better.

"Angel, please." He whispers and I stop walking when the sweet nickname makes my heart skip a beat. "Don't be mad at me."

"I w-wanted to pay for myself." I mumble.

"And I wanted to pay for you." He grins childishly and I feel like punching him, although his jawline looks sharp enough to break my knuckles.

"Why?" I cross my arms and tap my foot.

Standing straighter, he scratches the back of his head nervously. "Can I not answer that? I promised to be honest, so if you want an answer, I'll give you an honest one. But for your sake, I suggest you let me have a pass every once in a while."

Narrowing my eyes at time I make sure I understood him right. "You want to have a pass to some of the questions I ask?"

Theo grins so wide I'm afriad his face might break. What's wrong with him? "Theo?"

"What?" He shakes his head, getting rid of whatever thoughts were swarming in there, and when he remembers my earlier question, he nods his head. "Yes, I'd like to have a pass please. Let's say three passes a day? You ask a lot of questions, you know?"

I stare at him unblinkingly for a moment. If we just made a rule to be honest, then why does he want to not be honest? "Why do you want to have three passes a d-day?"

He chuckles in amusement, probably because I can't stop asking question. Meeting my gray eyes with his ocean blue ones, he gives me a soft smile, one that makes me feel too safe with him that a warm shiver runs down my spine and consumes my veins. "I just don't want to overwhelm you, Ella."

I scowl because I don't know what that means. Huffing in annoyance I almost stomp my foot at his vague answers. "Why did you want to pay my share, Theo?"

He grins again, as wide and bright as the last time. "Because I want to spoil you a little. Not a big deal."

I stupidly blink at him again. Do friends spoil each other? I guess so. Cassandra and I always used to do that, back when we used to be friends.

Shaking my thoughts away, I sigh and resume walking. "You're weird."

Theo chuckles again, following me. "It's honestly not a big deal. You know what? There's an ice cream truck right there. Look." He points to my right and I find one indeed. "How about we grab two cones and I'll let you pay for both? Will you forgive me then?"

I beam, and decide that I would truly love being friends with him. He's sweet, gentle and considerate. He doesn't pry. He accepted my ridiculous rules and his eyes are too beautiful not to look at. And he's in love with someone else, so I shouldn't ever be worried about my stupid heart deciding to fall for someone again. I don't plan on it, but that doesn't always make a difference, because last time it happened it wasn't planned either, and look where that got me. At least this time, I know from the very beginning that his heart already belongs to another.

"Yes please." I grin widely, my feet almost bouncing off the ground as I inch on my toes in excitement and Theo's mouth falls ajar as he stares at me again. He stares probably as much as he frowns. "W-what's wrong?"

"Nothing. Sorry." He laughs awkwardly before turning around and heading to the truck and I follow him with a shrug. "Wanna keep playing?"

"Sure." I nod as we walk side by side. "What's your m-middle name?"

Theo laughs out loud, the sound vibrating some weird energy through me, startling me so much that I stop walking. Of course he has a wonderful laugh too. Swallowing the weird feeling in my tummy, I clear my throat. "What's f-funny?"

"Nothing, I just should've expected that kind of question from you. Curious little thing, you are." He doesn't say it like an insult and I don't deny it. I also don't tell him that he's just as curious. "It's Maddox."

"Oh, that's a hot name." My steps come to a halt once I realize what I just said and I slap my palm over my mouth. My wide eyes meet his surprised ones.

"What did you just say?" He asks with the kind of smirk that lets me know he's not planning on letting me off the hook any time soon.

"N-nothing." I mumble against my palm and he chuckles before crossing his big arms across his chest. His muscles, bulging out from the T shirt he has on, grab my attention for a second before I meet his eyes again.

"You said that Maddox is a hot name, didn't you?" He's teasing me and I don't like it. So what if I did? I'll own my mistakes.

Copying his stance, I poke my hip out for extra effect. "Yes. So?"

Narrowing his eyes at my change of attitude, he drops his arms, looking serious. "You're calling me Maddox from now on."

I laugh out loud at his sudden declaration. "W-what? Why?"

"Because Theo is not hot enough, apparently." He sounds grumpy but the grin on his face lets me know he's only playing around.

"I never said that." I shake my head.

"Doesn't matter. It's Maddox for you now." He's serious and I laugh again.

"But Theo is your name." I state.

"So is Maddox." He confirms with a nod.
"What's your middle name?"

"So you'd call me by it too?" I guess and he nods sheepishly.

"It's Rose." I admit and his eyes soften, his lips falling into the smile I like the most on him.

"Rose." He repeats and my tummy feels weird again. "It fits you perfectly."

"W-why? B-because it's fragile?"

I hate that I asked that. I hate that sometimes I still get so self conscious. I never used to be like that. I used to be confident and powerful. I hate that my love for Jaxon has fucked me up. I hate that it was all my fault.

"No." His voice is gentle again, careful. "Because it's beautiful and delicate and needs to be treated with care."

I stare at him for a moment because I honestly didn't expect that. After a couple more seconds I decide to break the silence. "Which flavor do you want, Maddox?"

His grin is instantly back and it makes him look like a little boy. "I'll take whatever you get me, Rose. You pick."

It feels weird to hear someone call me Rose. And weird to call him Maddox too. But I like it, for some reason. It feels special, and if I dare make a tiny assumption, I'm going to say that this friendship is just as special. But I won't get my hopes up. Not even with something as simple as a friendship. Because those too can break my heart, or whatever that's left of it anyway.

Once we reach the truck Maddox's phone rings and when he sees the caller he groans. "Oh, no."

"Something wrong?" I ask.

"Coach is calling. Probably to let me know that there's another early practice tomorrow morning. I hate those." He sighs. "I have to take this, but I'll be right back, yeah?"

My eyes widen instantly and they move around, scanning the area. I don't like being outside, and tonight was an exception, only because of him. But what if he leaves? What if I'm alone again, in public, where I can't make sure I'm safe?

"Hey. What's wrong?" Maddox asks, his eyes full with worry and I shake my head. "I'll call him back later."

"N-no. It's o-okay. Take it." I nod at him but he shakes his head, his phone still ringing in his hand.

"It's not worth it, Rose."

"R-really. Take it. J-just promise you w-won't leave?" I gulp.

He stares at me for a second before clenching his jaw. "I'd never do that to you. I promise I'm not going anywhere. I'll be right there by this tree. You can see me. You can probably hear me too. Alright?"

My eyes follow the tree he's pointing at and I take a deep breath in relief when I notice it's only a couple of feet away, not even that far. I nod with a smile which he returns before accepting the call and turning around.

I order two scoops of cookie dough for the both of us, my eyes searching for him every couple of seconds, and then wait for him to finish his call once I have the cones in my hands. A couple of minutes later he comes back and I'm glad he didn't take long because I was worried the ice cream might melt.

"Sorry about that." He smiles and grabs his cone. I flinch when his fingers accidentally touch mine and take a step back instantly. I feel his eyes on me, staring, calculating, maybe judging too.

"Early pr-practice?" Clearing my throat, I decide to play dumb and pretend nothing happened.

He seems to have taken the hint because he sighs and nods his head silently. I feel kind of bad now, but I can't help it. Physical contact makes me nervous. It reminds me too much of the feelings Jaxon left me with, and it makes me want to peel off my own skin. In a weak attempt to change the mood, I announce, "It's your turn."

Maddox takes a minute to think about what he wants to ask. "How old are you?"

I wince. This keeps getting worse and worse. It's not his fault. I have too much baggage, too many reminders. "Twenty one. Almost."

"When's your birthday?" He smiles and I swallow back the memories.

"In a few hours." I mumble quietly.

He stumbles over his foot, almost losing his balance and I want to laugh but I don't. "Are you serious?"

I nod. "It's not a b-big deal. I won't celebrate it. I don't enjoy m-my birthday anymore."

"Why not?" He asks the million dollar question with a frown full of worry and I love that seems genuinely concerned. He seems to care, but I won't assume anything if not confirmed by him aloud.

But I promised to be honest and open and truthful. So I take a deep breath and resume walking. "B-because last year I got my h-heart broken on my birthday."

--------

So, they first time they ever talked was exactly a year before. Got that?

Same time last year, our Rose was getting rejected by Jaxon.

Tell me what you think of this chapters? Do you think Maddox did the right thing by asking to keep a secret?

Your comments on the last chapter are so sweet, so compassionate! I loved them and I love you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 305 13
"There's just something about you" he said looking at me, almost like he could see my soul "Something about me?... it's the chase Elliot, you'll g...
3.8M 119K 36
Everly is a werewolf living in a pack where no one wants her. Her mother and father don't treat her the same as her beautiful sister. She has learned...
38.1M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
90.3K 3.1K 42
"I trusted you Xavier. You said you'll never leave. You said you loved me. Like a fool I am I believed you" she said in a broken defeated voice. "Wel...