Return of the 13th Zodiac

By earlfangs

𝐎𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐮𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧. 𝐎𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐮𝐨 𝐄𝐦𝐩... More

𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐬 + 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭
Part One: The Serpent Bearer
1: The Masked Swordsman
2: Calm as the Forest, Fierce as the Fire (1)
3: Calm as the Forest, Fierce as the Fire (2)
4: Forgiveness Comes After Death
5: The Serpent and the Fox (1)
6: The Serpent and the Fox (2)
7: Cursed Horn
9: Each With Their Own Schemes
10: Claw of the Eternal Beast (1)
11: Claw of the Eternal Beast (2)
12: The Serpent Underneath the Flower (1)
13: The Serpent Underneath the Flower (2)
14: The Serpent Underneath the Flower (3)
15: The Serpent Underneath the Flower (4)
16: The Unfit Heir
17: Nightmare
18: Desire for Vengeance
19: Teacher Zhang
20: To Catch a Mouse, To Trap a Cat (1)
𝐀𝐫𝐭𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤

8: Two-Faced

290 13 98
By earlfangs

"Elder Lu?" Shu Yue said with a frown.

Xiao Ran nodded. "Yeah. He said he has something important to discuss with you."

"Oh? Something important?"

Xiao Ran shrugged his shoulders. "That's what he said. But...I don't know. I'm kind of getting a bad vibe from this." His brows knitted into a frown. "This old man is very suspicious."

Since the mysterious man threatened Lu Baiyu to force him to do something, it was possible that Lu Baiyu was still under his command. Thus Shu Yue needed to be cautious. Whatever Lu Baiyu was here for could be part of a scheme.

"All right," Shu Yue said as she rose from her bed, "I'll meet him in a few minutes, then I'll judge the situation myself."

She let out a breath of frustration, her features twisting into a scowl. Since she and Xiao Ran were the only ones present, she didn't mind displaying strong emotions on her face. As someone she completely trusted, she didn't need to maintain her calm and mild demeanor around him all the time. Xiao Ran knew who and what she really was.

Seeing the change in her expression, Xiao Ran's face softened and he sighed. He wasn't the least bit surprised by his master's sudden change in attitude. Instead, he smiled and approached her. He took the fox mask from the bed and placed it on the side of her head. Shu Yue's horn vanished without a trace.

"Don't lose your cool now, Young Mistress; being grumpy in the morning isn't good," Xiao Ran advised, his lips quirking up in a tiny, amused smile.

Shu Yue brushed a strand of hair from her face and turned to face Xiao Ran. He was a foot taller than she was. She had to crane her neck to look up at him.

"I wonder why my fox looked so amused? Do you find my frustration fascinating?" Shu Yue said in a low, silken voice, a faint smile outlining her mouth.

"It's been a while since I've seen you lose your composure, Young Mistress."

"That means your snake master is doing a great job, isn't she?" Shu Yue reached up, pushing his hair behind his shoulder.

"A very incredible job," Xiao Ran admitted in a quiet voice. His gaze softened, as it did every time he looked at her.

Staring at Xiao Ran, Shu Yue couldn't help but count herself lucky to have met this fox-human. Not only did she find a strong and faithful bodyguard, but also a companion in whom she could trust, sometimes even more than herself.

"All right," Shu Yue exclaimed and spun on her heels. "Go fetch our dear guest, then let's see what he wants."

***

Shu Yue looked up as the door opened, revealing Xiao Ran and their guest, Lu Baiyu. After meeting her gaze, Xiao Ran ushered the elderly man into her room.

Shu Yue rose from the tea table and bowed with folded hands, a courteous smile on her face. "This disciple greets Elder Lu."

Lu Baiyu looked at her with narrowed eyes for a moment, trying to recognize her unfamiliar face. He'd never seen Shu Yue's bare face before, so this was an expected reaction from him. Having said that, Shu Yue made no effort to introduce herself in order to dispel his confusion. She simply smiled at him.

Xiao Ran stepped up beside Shu Yue, his hands clasped behind his back. "This is my master, Chen Yue," he told Lu Baiyu indifferently, his face devoid of emotion.

Lu Baiyu's eyes darted back to Shu Yue, studying her features once more. He then smiled in recognition when his gaze fell on the fox mask on the side of her head.

"Ah, it's you," Lu Baiyu confirmed, a wide smile spreading across his lips. "I hadn't seen you without a mask before, so I didn't recognize you right away."

"This disciple apologizes for any confusion. Please take a seat," Shu Yue said politely, motioning to the table.

Once they were seated, Xiao Ran prepared a cup of tea for them and then took a sip of his tea. His casual behavior must have brought confusion to Lu Baiyu, because Shu Yue noticed a slight frown creasing the old man's brow as he looked at the fox-human.

"So, Elder Lu. What brings you here?" Shu Yue said, clasping her hands on the table. "I was really surprised when I heard you were requesting my presence."

Lu Baiyu smiled. "I know that this is an unexpected visit, but I assure you that I will not waste your time. But-" He paused, his eyes flickering to Xiao Ran. "Not to be impolite, but is the" --his mouth twisted faintly with bitter revulsion --"beastman going to stay here?"

Shu Yue felt her jaw clench. Lu Baiyu tried to sound polite, but his words came across as insults to her ears. He pronounced beastman in a curse-like manner. He didn't even bother hiding it. Normally, Shu Yue would not tolerate any insults directed at Xiao Ran, but the man in front of her wasn't just any man. He was someone who could lead her to the mysterious man.

She must maintain her image in order to avoid suspicion until she had gathered enough information to plan her next steps.

Knowing when and when not to strike was extremely important.

Rubbing her thumb and forefinger together, she forced an innocent smile onto her mouth. A face devoid of any malice. However, behind that facade was a poisonous snake preparing to strike. She was itching to slice the mouth of the person in front of her.

You treat us like monsters but you humans are the worst.

"I see no problem having his presence with us," Shu Yue responded in a calm voice, still smiling. "Unless there's a reason you'd like to exclude him from the conversation?" Her smile deepened.

Lu Baiyu picked up his teacup and took a long sip. Shu Yue saw his eyes flickered toward Xiao Ran again. That was when the realization came to her. Lu Baiyu was wary of Xiao Ran, and in order to conceal this, he emphasized his hostility and discomfort toward demihumans, using this as an excuse to send him away.

He didn't want Xiao Ran to know something.

Lu Baiyu then cleared his throat, his mouth twisting into a strained smile. "No offense meant, but I believe it is inappropriate for him to stay. What I'm about to say isn't something a slave should hear. I'd prefer that this brute stay outside."

Shu Yue almost snapped. The smile on her face faded, and a dangerous glint flashed in her eyes. But only for a fraction of a second. She kept up her act and regarded him with professional calm.

"I think there's some misunderstanding here," Shu Yue said. "This demihuman isn't a slave. He's my personal attendant, and he'd appreciate it if you don't use the word brute."

Lu Baiyu blinked with surprise, then after a brief hesitation, he said, "Oh, I see. I... I apologize for my impertinence." His brows knitted into a frown as he glanced at Xiao Ran. He looked surprised and confused, but he didn't question it.

Xiao Ran spared him no glance as he refilled both of their cups. If Lu Baiyu's behavior toward him bothered or offended him, he didn't show it. He remained silent the whole while, a blank expression on his face. Shu Yue resisted the urge to smile. Her bodyguard seemed to be getting better at controlling his temper.

"And if I remember correctly," Shu Yue stated, rubbing her thumb and forefinger together. "Twenty years ago, the clan leader issued a decree abolishing slavery of demihumans in the Ophiuchus Clan, right? As an elder, you should be aware of the clan's rules and regulations."

Lu Baiyu blinked a few times before letting out a short, forced laugh. "This old man's memory is getting faulty. Dear me, how could I have forgotten such a thing?"

You didn't forget, you humans just didn't care about us and continued to treat us the same way.

Shu Yue sighed and gave him a kind smile. "It's not your fault that you mistook this demihuman for a slave; the scenario kinda gave that impression, so don't let this concern you too much, Elder Lu."

That drew a smile from Lu Baiyu. "You're such a kind lady. I don't regret coming here at all."

"Now that you mention it, Elder Lu, what brought you here?" Shu Yue asked, and took a sip of her tea.

They've already squandered far too much time. It was time to get down to business.

Lu Baiyu smiled. "I came here to present you with an opportunity."

It was Shu Yue's turn to look surprised. "An opportunity."

"Yes," Lu Baiyu responded. He paused for a moment, giving Xiao Ran a wary look. "But this is a confidential matter, and I'm not sure I want your attendant to hear it."

Shu Yue stared at Lu Baiyu for a moment. Her eyes were gentle and calm, but they were still calculating, assessing, as if trying to see into his soul. Lu Baiyu shifted uneasily under her scrutiny. After what seemed like an eternity, Shu Yue broke her gaze and drank her tea.

"All right," she said and looked at Xiao Ran. "Leave us alone for a moment, Xiao Ran."

With a nod, Xiao Ran stood up and left without another word.

Silence settled over the room after the door closed.

"All right," Shu Yue began. "Let's hear about this opportunity you speak of."

Lu Baiyu cleared his throat. "First, let me ask you a question: do you intend to participate in the upcoming military recruitment?"

Shu Yue blinked. "I do."

The old man's smile turned into a grin. "Of course you are. You're a talented warrior. I was really surprised by the outcome of the sparring. You broke Dishan's winning streak using a what? A bamboo stick? That in itself was impressive. As one of this town's elders, I cannot let such talent go to waste."

"So you're saying?"

Still grinning, Lu Baiyu said, "I can help you get recruited."

Shu Yue frowned, her eyes narrowing to a slit. "How?"

"Simple. Become my disciple, and I will teach you a martial arts technique that rivals that of the twelve Zodiac Clans."

Shu Yue's frown deepened. After taking another sip of her tea, she leaned forward slightly, eager, and her eyes seemed to gleam. But, of course, it was just an act. She was more intrigued and suspicious of the elderly man in front of her than she was excited about his supposedly good news.

"So you're saying you possess a secret manual? And you're willing to teach me?" Shu Yue asked, feigning interest in her voice.

Lu Baiyu laughed at her reaction. He looked pleased, as if everything was going the way he had expected.

"Of course," he said with a nod. "As long as you're willing to admit under my tutelage."

Shu Yue stood up and bowed, a bright smile on her face that seemed so real. "This disciple is willing."

Lu Baiyu nodded and gestured for her to sit. Then his expression turned serious as he stared at her. "But remember, this must be kept confidential," he warned, his gaze sweeping over them, "not a single piece of information, not even you being my disciple, must be disclosed."

Shu Yue frowned thoughtfully. She hesitated for a moment and then said, "Elder Lu, before I make any promises, I have a request to make. I know this is shameless of me after you just said that this must be kept a secret. But I'd like to let one person know. Since this greatly concerns me, I'm afraid I have to inform my attendant about this."

"The fox demihuman?"

Shu Yue nodded. "Yes. His name is Xiao Ran."

Lu Baiyu furrowed his brow and scratched at his chin. "I'm not sure about this."

"I understand your concern, Lu Baiyu, but I assure you that Xiao Ran is trustworthy. He is my attendant, and he answers only to me, no one else. I've known him since I was a child, so I know I can trust him. Don't worry, I won't let him learn your secret martial arts. Demihumans aren't allowed to cultivate advanced techniques, anyway."

Lu Baiyu stared at her, hesitating. After a long moment, he finally nodded. "All right. Since you trust him, I think it's fine. But I hope you won't disappoint me." He gave her a warning look.

Shu Yue kept herself from smiling as she bowed her head "This disciple won't disappoint you, Elder Lu."

Lu Baiyu nodded. "Very well. Starting this afternoon, I will teach you in secret, so please come to my residence."

"I will," Shu Yue said. Then she paused. "Elder Lu, if I may ask, do you have other disciples?"

A slow smile spread over Lu Baiyu's mouth. "I do."

***

"So, what do you think?" Shu Yue asked Xiao Ran and sipped her tea.

Shu Yue had told Xiao Ran everything without leaving a single detail. Lu Baiyu had left not too long ago. Right after his departure, Shu Yue dropped her act. A mischievous expression had taken over her once gentle face.

"Suspicious," Xiao Ran responded. When his gaze met Shu Yue's, his cold expression melted and he became a tamed beast yet again.

"Indeed," Shu Yue agreed. "I don't trust him, but I'm intrigued by this secret manual he mentioned." Her eyes glinted ominously as her mouth curled upward in an evil smirk.

Xiao Ran frowned. "I'm curious, too." Then his mouth twisted into a wicked smile, a glint of amusement in his eyes. "But I'm afraid the old man just stepped on a mine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.1K 198 28
Two people sit in a dimly lit room playing a deadly game of fate. What led them to this game and who will win? We all have secrets that we d...
385K 13.9K 42
"You're just my tool. Know your place." It's her duty to follow her master's command. Even at the risk of injuring herself or losing her mind. It's...
The Emperor's Phoenix By Y.P.

Historical Fiction

655K 26.2K 44
As Liu Ying Yue returns to her family home after many years, her step-mother secretly agrees to a political marriage with the emperor of the Shadow R...
S.I.D. By jikotakuhaibin

General Fiction

34K 1.4K 28
The SID are back again, only this time they serve justice to the evil in their own way. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *...