The Prince's Brother

By DisasterChild20

Silas Pendragon, Arthur Pendragon's 14 year old brother. More

The Dragon's Call
Valiant
The Mark Of Nimueh
The Poisoned Chalice
Lancelot
A Remedy to Cure All Ills
The Gates of Avalon
The Beginning of the End
Excalibur
The Moment of Truth
The Labyrinth of Gedref
To Kill the King
Le Morte d'Arthur
The Once and Future Queen
The Nightmare Begins
Lancelot and Guinevere
Beauty and the Beast Part One
Beauty and the Beast Part Two
The Witchfinder
The Sins of the Father
The Lady of the Lake

The Curse of Cornelius Sigan

371 8 1
By DisasterChild20

Silas lies in bed and groans as he covers his head with a pillow, trying to block out the sound of the men digging under the castle. Sitting up he glares as he finds his spell book, flicking through to find a silence spell he could cast so he could get some sleep. As he does the noise stops making him frown in confusion at what could have stopped the men from working. Just then there is a knock on the door, he quickly puts his book back under his bed "Enter." he calls. A guard walks in "Prince Arthur requires your prescience in his chambers." he tells him. "Thank you." Silas nods, pulling his boots and long coat on. He stands and walks out of his room, the guard following him to Arthur's room. Silas knocks on the door "Enter." Arthur responds making Silas walk in. "What happened?" the younger brother asks. "The men found a tomb under the castle." Arthur responds. Silas frowns "Let me guess Father wants to see it immediately?" he asks. "Yes and if I have to be up and about at this time of night, then so do you." Arthur responds. "You're a horrible big brother sometimes, you know that?" Silas asks. "Yep, now come on." Arthur laughs.

Silas follows his father and brother through the tunnels, towards the tomb "I want the tomb guarded at all times." Uther tells them. They walk into the tomb and a plate rolls towards Uther's feet, Merlin runs to pick it up "Idiot." Uther mutters. "Were you born clumsy or do you work at it?" Arthur asks Merlin. "It's just one of my many gifts." Merlin responds. "Well this is quite a find. You see, Gaius, I was right. There is treasure to be found under Camelot. Which of my predecessors do I have to thank for all this? Gaius?" Uther asks as he looks round the room. "Uh, I'd have to look into it, Sire." Gaius responds. Just then Uther notices the dead body on the floor "How did he die?" he asks. "He seems to have unwittingly triggered a trap here." Gaius responds. "To deter grave robbers." Arthur realises. "Well there's plenty in here people would want to steal. Have them secure the tomb. Guarding it is your responsibility, Arthur." Uther says, turning to leave. "Yes, Father." Arthur responds as he leaves. Silas frowns as he looks at the large blue gem in the middle of the coffin "Silas?" Arthur asks noticing the concerned look on his brother's face. "There's something not right with the gem." Silas responds. "Come on, we've got to get a gate out in here." Arthur tells him. Silas nods and looks away from the gem, giving Merlin a look to tell him to talk later as he passes.

The next morning Silas stands stroking Clover's snout as he gets ready to head out for a hunt with Arthur and some of the knights "Hurry up, Merlin." Arthur says. "Sorry." Merlin apologises, getting on his hands and knees so Arthur can climb onto his horse. Sitting in the saddle, Arthur suddenly falls to the side as the saddle slides sideways "Merlin!" Arthur exclaims as Silas bites back a laugh. "I don't understand." Merlin says. "Well, there's a surprise." Arthur responds "I did that girth up myself." Merlin says in confusion. "Well, I think that might have been the problem!" Arthur tells him. "It wasn't my fault." Merlin defends. A brown hair man rushes over "Would you like me to fit the girth properly for you, Sire." he says fixing Arthur's saddle in place. "Thank you." Arthur nods. "It's an honour to be of service to the Prince." the man responds making Silas roll his eyes as he joins his brother and friend. "An honour. Do you hear that Merlin?" Arthur asks Merlin. "Allow me the honour of brushing your clothes down." the man says getting a clothes brush out and brushing Arthur's clothes off for him. "The honour." Arthur whispers. Silas bites his tongue and turns his head as he struggles not to laugh, Merlin playfully glares at him "Anything else I can do for you, sir." the man asks. "Well, you can give Merlin here a kick up the backside." Arthur jokes. The man chuckles "I wouldn't wish to deprive you of the pleasure, sir." he tells him. "Ha! What's your name?" Arthur asks. "Cedric. I've come to Camelot in search of work." Cedric responds. "Good. You can be a beater on the hunt. We're short of a man or two." Silas tells him. "You're too kind, Sire." Cedric bows. Merlin grabs a beater  "Here. You'll need a beater. Oh, sorry." he says, hitting Cedric in the stomach with it. Silas shakes his head before mounting his horse and following his brother out of the square.

Silas walks next to Arthur on the hunt, after a minute they hear a loud noise before a boar the size of a house comes charging towards them. Merlin spots a dropped spear "Flíe 'fǽgð." he casts making it fly through the air and kill the giant boar. "Who threw that?" Arthur asks. No one responds making Cedric clear his throat "Was it you? You just saved my life." Arthur tells him. "Honestly, Sire, it was nothing." Cedric responds rolling his shoulder in face discomfort. "I shall be forever indebted to you. You must be rewarded." Arthur smiles. "No, I couldn't possibly." Cedric says bashfully. "Come on. What do you wish for?" Arthur asks. "I desire only one thing, Sire." Cedric tells him. "Anything." Arthur says. "A position in the royal household." Cedric responds. "Good. Consider it done. Ha-ha!" Arthur smiles. "You can have that back. Oh, sorry." Cedric says hitting Merlin in the stomach with the beater. Silas glares, knowing it was Merlin because of the magic he felt "Merlin." he says catching his attention. "Don't worry about it." Merlin tells him. Silas sighs but gives his friend a nod as they start heading back to where they left the horses.

When they get back to Camelot Silas and Merlin head to Gaius' chambers "What's wrong?" Gaius asks noticing the look on Melin's face. "I saved Arthur's life, someone else got the credit. Just the usual. What are you doing?" Merlin responds. "I found this inscription on the sceptre." Gaius tells the sorcerers handing them a piece of paper. "What language is that?" Silas asks. "I don't know. Sigan would have known many languages." Gaius responds. "Sigan?" Merlin asks. "It's his tomb, isn't it?" Silas asks Gaius, familiar with the story of Cornelius Sigan. Gaius nods "Who's he?" Merlin asks. "Merlin, he was the most powerful sorcerer to have lived." Silas explains. "Really?" he asks. "You didn't grow up in Camelot, but for those of us that did, Cornelius Sigan was a figure of nightmare." Gaius begins to explain. "Why?" Merlin asks. "Sigan's powers. He could change day into night, turn the tides, and legend has it, his spells helped build Camelot itself." Silas continues. "What happened?" Merlin questions. "In the end, he grew too powerful and the king at that time ordered his execution." Silas responds. "If he's dead, why are you both so worried?" Merlin asks them. "Sigan couldn't bear the thought that his wealth and power would die with him, so he became obsessed with finding a way to defeat death itself." Silas tells him. "You think he might have succeeded?" Merlin realises. "Let's hope not, for all our sakes." Gaius responds.

The next morning Silas sits with Arthur as Cedric serves them a buffet of breakfast, Merlin walks in holding two plates of food making Silas and Arthur look up "Is that lunch?" Arthur asks. "No, it's breakfas..." Merlin trails off as he sees the food spread out on the table. "This is lovely, Cedric." Arthur tells their new manservant. "Is there anything else that you need doing, Sire?" Merlin asks. "No, I think Cedric's got it all covered." Arthur responds making Silas roll his eyes slightly. "Oh, I regret, Sire, there is one thing I failed to do. Uh, muck out your horses." Cedric pipes up. "Off you go." Arthur tells Merlin who looks astounded slightly. "I'll get the door for you." Cedric tells Merlin going over and opening said door for him. Silas gives Arthur a look who shrugs at him, shaking his head Silas wipes his mouth of a napkin "Thank you for breakfast Cedric. Arthur, I'll catch you later." he says standing up. "Where you going?" Arthur asks. "To see Morgana." Silas responds. "Oh, not a certain handmaiden of hers?" Arthur asks. "Don't know what you mean." Silas blushes as he leaves.

Silas knocks on Morgana's door, Gwen opens it and smiles "Silas." she greets letting him in. "Hello Gwen." Silas smiles walking in. Morgana smiles and stands up from her dressing table "Silas, what she you doing here?" she asks hugging him. "Am I not allowed to come see you?" Silas jokes. "Course you are. Annalise will be back soon, she just went to take my breakfast plate back to the kitchen." Morgana smiles. Silas goes to speak "Don't even try to deny the fact you want to see her." Morgana tells him with a playful glare. Silas blushes slightly "I don't want her to get hurt. If Father were to ever find out..." he trails off. "If anything happens between the two of you, you'll have people covering for you both. I know I will, so will Arthur, Merlin and Gwen, I'm sure Gaius would aswell. Anyone who spends two minutes in the room with the pair of you can see how much you care for each other." Morgana tells him. "Maybe, but I'd be putting you all at risk aswell." Silas responds. "Maybe, for once, you should put your happiness first. Don't worry about the what ifs, worry about missing out on something that could be." Morgana smiles, taking his hand. Silas looks down "Just think about it." Morgana tells him.

Later, that evening, Silas sits reading in his room when Merlin knocks and walks in "I know that face, what's wrong?" Silas asks. "The jewel in Cornelius Sigan's tomb wasn't a jewel." Merlin tells him. "Then what was it?" the teen asks. "Sigan's soul. Gaius translated the inscription 'He who breaks my heart completes my work.' If the stone is removed-" Merlin starts. "Then the heart is broken and Sigan's soul will be freed." Silas finishes. Merlin nods "The tomb is locked, tomorrow we'll try and work out a plan." Silas tells him making Merlin nod again.

The next morning Silas joins Arthur, Merlin and Gaius at the tomb to find that someone had gotten in and stolen the 'jewel' "Sound the warning bell." Arthur tells a guard as he leaves. "Merlin, Silas. Whoever did this got more than they bargained for." Gaius tells them, holding the empty 'jewel' which is now clear. "I don't understand how they got in. The gate's not even damaged." Merlin responds. "They must've used a key." Gaius tells him. "Arthur's got the only key." Silas explains. "Where does he keep it?" Gaius asks. "On his belt with the others." Merlin responds. "Does he ever take it off?" Gaius asks. "Only when he's asleep. He keeps it next to his bed." Merlin tells him. "Who had access to his chambers last night?" Gaius questions. "Just me. And..." Merlin trails off. "Cedric." Silas realises making Merlin run out the tomb. Silas looks at Gaius in worry before walking out and going for a walk to clear his head, as the sun sets he sees Annalise. Looking round he goes over to her and grabs her arm "Come with me." he tells her. Smiling she nods and lets him lead her into his chambers "What are you doing Silas?" she asks. "I went and saw Morgana yesterday, she gave me some advise that I want to use but only if you want me to." Silas explains. "What advise?" Annalise asks with a smile. Silas bites his lip "I-" he starts only to be cut off by a knock on the door. "Prince Silas, the King and Prince Arthur require you in the council chamber. You are required to wear your armour." a guard tells him. "I will be right there." Silas responds. Annalise looks at him "Tell me later." she tells him before leaving.

Silas stands with his brother as Uther addresses them about the creatures round the city "I don't know what this creature is, where it's come from." he tells them. "There's more than one, Father. We've had several reports. There's panic in the lower town. People are fleeing the city." Arthur tells him. "Then you must hunt these creatures down and kill them." Uther tells them. "Yes, Sire." they both say at the same time before leaving. "What's happening with you and Annalise?" Arthur asks. "Is now really the time?" Silas counters. Arthur shrugs "Well?" he asks. "Nothing. We're just friends." Silas tells him. "But you want to be more." Arthur says. Silas shrugs "I don't want her getting hurt because of me. If Father found out-" he starts. "Precisely. If not when. Besides you have people looking out for you both." Arthur cuts him off. Silas sighs "Let's just get rid of these creatures first." he tells his brother, leading him over to the knights who are waiting at the side.

The brother's go out into the city with the knights and start fighting the creatures "Regroup! Low fight!" Arthur shouts. The knights regroup in the citadel, the brothers joining them soon after "Watch out" Silas tells Arthur, pushing him out the way and getting cut down his shoulder. "You alright?" Arthur asks. "Yeah, just a scratch." Silas reassures him. Arthur sees Gwen and runs over to her as Silas spots Annalise by entrance and runs over, pulling her out the way of way "Annalise, what are you doing out here?" he asks. "Gaius ran out of bandages." she explains, holding up the satchel she's carrying. "That thing could've killed you." Silas tells her. "And it still might!" she responds, pushing him down and landing on top of him as a gargoyle swoops down at them. Silas groans slightly "Sorry." she apologises. "No. My pleasure." Silas responds. Annalise sees the cut running down his shoulder "What happened?" she asks as they get up. "It's just a scratch." he tells her. Annalise gives him a look before leading him inside, sitting him on a table "I'll get you something to stop the bleeding." she tells him. "Annalise, you never cease to amaze me." Silas smiles. "Thank you Sire." she responds before walking off to find something to help him.

Arthur walks in and over to Silas "You told me it was just a scratch." Arthur glares. "It is." Silas responds as Annalise wraps his shoulder for him. Just then Uther walks in and looks at Arthur, ignoring Silas "Have we driven the creatures out?" he asks. "They have control of the lower town. The market has been all but destroyed." Arthur responds. "How many dead?" Uther asks. "Too many to number." Arthur tells him. "I'm sealing the citadel." Uther decides. "You can't." Arthur protests. "I have no choice. I have to protect those who have a chance. If I don't, we will all fall. Where are you going?" Uther asks as bothSilas and Arthur head to the door. "There are people trapped on the drawbridge." Silas responds. "I forbid you." Uther tells them. "I'm not leaving them to die." Arthur tells their father. "It's suicide!" Uther exclaims. "It's my duty to Camelot! And to myself!" Arthur responds, leading Silas and the knights out.

They walk out the draw bridge and find people scattered around lying motionless "Check for survivors." Arthur tells the knights who start to do so. As they do one of the gargoyle creatures land "On me!" Arthur shouts making all the knights join him and Silas "Charge!" he shouts. They all run at the creature and trying to attack it "Arthur! Silas! Retreat! Regroup in the square!" Sir Geraint exclaims. Silas grabs Arthur's arm snd pulls him back to the square "Arthur? Silas? Arthur?!" Sir Geraint calls. A gargoyle lands in front of the Princes "Save yourselves! That's an order!" Arthur tells the knights. "Retreat! Retreat!" Sir Geraint shouts, leading the knights back inside. Arthur and Silas get thrown back by the gargoyle creature, Arthur being knocked out. The creature goes to attack them again, Silas trying to think of a spell to use "Astrice!" Merlin shouts making it explode. Merlin runs over and helps Silas up "Are you alright?" he asks. "Yeah, thanks." Silas nods. "Who would've believed it? You, a sorcerer, and a powerful one." Cedric/Sigan says walking towards them. "I won't let you hurt him." Merlin glares. "And you're going to stop me?" Cedric/Sigan asks. "I'll stop you." Merlin tells him. "And I'll help." Silas adds, standing next to his friend.

"He does not deserve your loyalty. He treats you like a slave." Cedric/Sigan tells Merlin, ignoring Silas. "That's not true." Merlin retorts. "He cast you aside without a moment's thought." Cedric/Sigan says. "That doesn't matter." Merlin tells him. "But it must hurt so much to be so put upon, so overlooked, when all the while you have such power." Cedric/Sigan remarks. "That's the way it has to be." Merlin responds. "Does it? You're young, Merlin. Look inside yourself. You have yet to discover your true power. I can help you. Think, Merlin. To have the world appreciate your greatness. To have Arthur know you for what you are." Cedric/Sigan says, trying to appeal to Merlin. "That can never be." Merlin retorts, "It can, if you join me. Together we can rule over this land. Arthur will tremble at your voice, he will kneel at your feet." Cedric/Sigan tells him. "I don't want that." Merlin tells him. "You'd rather be a servant?" Cedric/Sigan asks. "Better to serve a good man that to rule with an evil one." Merlin responds. "So be it. If you will not join me, I will become you and your power will be harnessed to my will." Cedric/Sigan responds. He starts shaking making Silas grip his sword tighter as he falls to the floor, a blue mist comes out of Cedric/Sigan's mouth and floats towards Merlin "Ic þín sáwol hér beléac, abide þæt ic þé álíese!" Merlin chants a the mist goes up his nose. Merlin falls to the floor and starts shaking making Silas kneel next to him "Merlin?" he asks. Merlin's eyes open and flash black before they go back to normal "Merlin?" Silas asks again. Merlin smiles and sits up, showing Silas the once again blue gem. Silas smiles "Let's make sure that never happens again." he tells Merlin. "I'm with you on that." Merlin agrees, also smiling. Silas helps Merlin up "Merlin?" Gaius asks. Merlin walks over and smiles as he holds up the gem "Well done, my boy." Gaius praises, hugging him.

The next morning Silas follows Arthur into Gaius' chambers "I've come to see Merlin. I've not forgotten about your lazy, insolent ways, or the fact that you called me a clotpole, but I do have to admit that there was some truth in your accusations against Cedric." Arthur tells Merlin. "Does this mean you're admitting that in this occasion I was actually right?" Merlin asks. "Not exactly, no. It means that I have a knighthood to bestow first thing tomorrow and no one to clean my armour. Along with Silas'." Arthur responds, emptying a cloth sack full of both his and Silas' armour onto the table in front of Merlin. "All that?" Merlin asks. "Yep." Arthur responds before throwing an arm of Silas' shoulder and walking out with him. "You just love winding him up, don't you?" Silas asks. "Don't know what you mean." Arthur responds with a smirk.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 174 16
Ember Elrod, Arthur Pendragon's best friend since childhood. After a devastating fire burns her family home to the ground, killing both her mother an...
21.1K 756 15
Uther begins to fear Arthur's strength and power he holds over his knights and banishes him. Arthur must then begin to fight to become the king he is...
28K 802 33
Arthur pendragon x reader
32.2K 1.3K 21
When Arthur rises again, 40 000 years later, Merlin is nothing but ecstatic especially when he finds out Arthur feels the same way he has since life...