NATSU NO SAIGO NO HI

By cvhagen

queer shorts #1 - Natsu no Saigo no hi (The Last Expense of Summer) -- Luigi's summer vacation was lame until... More

Natsu no Saigo no hi
One
Two
Three
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen

Four

25 2 1
By cvhagen

⁂⁂⁂

The warm sun with yellow hues was still reining the day, but as time goes by it was slowly transforming into a different color. The free skies were not just blue but also endless, stratus clouds all over, making it a better and refreshing day despite the heat.

"So you're new here?" Pluto asked, walking slowly to match my mine and Klio's pace. Lucky him, the floor is not shiny and smooth, he managed to walk while wearing those wheels. He introduced himself to me earlier so I also did. "I'm always here at the park, practicing almost every day. So I kinda familiarized some faces that come here usually."

"Uh, yeah. My family just moved here recently," I answered.

"Really?" Wide eyes, lips almost smiling. He stopped for a while to confirm what I just said. That's when I nodded. "I thought you're with someone who's living here since you know, it's vacation." He added.

"I was originally from Vancouver." It was a village near the city proper, where our former home was.

"Kayo ba yung bumili ng bahay sa may California street?"

"Yes, the one with a blue gate." I stared at the cemented pavement, too shy to look at him. "How did you know?"

"Small village. We often know what happens in every corner. I also heard that that house was for sale months ago. Though no one bought it until your family did."

We continued walking. He invited me to the skate park when I said I have nothing to do, which is basically just a few meters from the main park. He's still a stranger to me, but I have this difficulty in saying no to someone, that's why I joined him. Mukha naman siyang mapagkakatiwalaan.

The skate park was empty as always. Except that there's a duffle bag with a pair of vans off the wall shoes on the center. I assumed it was Pluto's, since he said earlier that he saw Klio sniffing his shoes while he's practicing. That might be it.

We slide down to the sunken skate park. The aggressive ramps are intended for skateboards and their tricks. I can imagine Reki and Langa will usually hang here, spending their vacant time doing some ollies.

[Reki and Langa are characters from the anime Sk8. Ollie - a maneuver in skateboarding in which the skater kicks the tail of the board down while jumping in order to make the board pop into the air.]

"So, do you skate?" Pluto asked. He sat beside on the duffle bag, putting his vans shoes inside his bag. I'm even impressed that he managed to left that unattended.

"Skateboards?" I asked him back, sitting next to him but a little far.

"Yeah, or roller skates, anything that you can enjoy in this kind of place."

"I have a skateboard at home," I said. "But I don't use it."

"Then why did you bought it?" I shrugged. To be honest, I just bought that when I watched Sk8 Infinity. Langa's kickflip got me and I thought buying one isn't bad. But I didn't really rode it, I'm scared I might fall.

"How about rollers or ice skating?" Pluto asked again.

"No," I said.

"Are you interested?"

"Actually, someone invited me to join a figure skating club yesterday." It was Lora, of course, she's still not responding though.

"Oh, your girlfriend?" He looks intrigued seeing his smug look, I kinda want to wipe that smirk from his face. He's teasing me.

"She's not my girlfriend," I said.

"So, are you interested?" he asked for the second time.

"I don't know how to skate on ice. Never experience it before."

"I didn't ask you if you can, I asked you if you're interested to try skating." Now he sounded like my sister. He played with Klio and she seems enjoying it too.

I get the water bottle from the plastic instead of answering him. I opened it and drink to satisfy my dry throat. The leaves of the trees are slowly dancing to the rhythm of the wind, leaving a soft tingling sound to the ears, as I the water runs to my mouth. The birds are traveling by groups, ngayon ko lang napansin paunti-unti nang nagiging kahel ang ulap.

"So, how do you spend your summer now? Here in uh, you know, new neighborhood." Pluto stopped petting Klio and turned to me. "I bet you don't know where to stroll yet don't you?"

"I don't really go outside always," I said. "Madalas lang akong nasa loob ng bahay, nanonood."

"Halata nga," sabi niya habang natingin sa braso ko. Well, my skin color supports that the sun rarely licks my skin and it seems that I'm going to die because of the pale color of it, looking like a vampire.

Out of the blue, he lay down into the cold cement floor of the park, watching the skies that seems already tired for the day. The sun too slowly lost it shine as it tries to descend from the other side of the world, transitioning the colors from yellow to orange. It's finally sunset.

"Alam mo? I want to see how the sun set, they say it's beautiful." Pluto suddenly said, hands at the back of the head, eyes pierced above. "But you can't watch the sunset here. Not in this area."

"I think it would be beautiful to watch a sunset at the beach," I said to him. I watched many animes, some of them shows that it's best to watch the sunset at the beach... with your lover.

"I would love that." Bumangon siya mula sa pagkakahiga at saka hinubad ang suot niyang roller blades sa paa. "I think we should get going, the sun is already down," he said, removing the laces and putting the rollers inside his duffle bag.

I also stand up, removing the dust from my butt. They turned on the lamps, making the park illuminated. I bet mosquitos are also ready now that it's starting to dark.

We walked together as we exit the park. I don't know if his house is far from here but I bet no since he's not taking a cab or even a tricycle.

"Dito na ang liko ko," Pluto said as he stopped below the street sign of Milan street. "Are you going to the park tomorrow?"

I shrugged, "I don't know."

"You have plans?"

"Well, I'll watch tomorrow's update of Tokyo Revengers." It slipped through my tongue without even realizing it. I should be embarrassed now, knowing that he'll judge me for watching anime. Maybe he'll think that I am weird and, I don't know, pervert?

"Oh, okay." He raised his hand with and okay sign. "Well, see you tomorrow if you'll come to the park." He waved goodbye as he walked further towards the street of Milan. Nagpatuloy na rin ako sa paglalakad, nagdadasal na matandaan ko pa ang daan pabalik ng bahay.

Nang makauwi ako, hindi nagtanong si Astra kung bakit ako ginabi. Mama and papa are going home late, so it's just me and my sister during dinner. When I finished eating, I helped clean the kitchen a bit before heading to my room. Without a delay, I immediately turned my mobile data and let myself immerged in the world full of things that define my own happiness.

»»««

"I am really sorry for not replying to you yesterday," Lora said hysterically. I waked up earlier than usual when my phone rang loudly 5 in the morning. It was just Loradette, panicking that I might be mad at her for not answering any of my messages.

"It's fine," I answered with my bedroom voice, opening just one of my eyes. I barely slept. Sinabi ko sa sarili ko na limang episodes lang ang papanooring ko, but I ended up finishing the whole season. Now my eyes are hurting and my head is spinning a little.

"I was busy yesterday from club activities, I'm really sorry," she said. "And I'm sorry for waking you up." I can sense the guiltiness from her voice, more likely she's more worried that she ruined my sleep knowing that I'm sleep deprived than ignoring me yesterday. But it doesn't matter anymore. I am awake now. Half of my body is.

"Kalimutan mo na iyon," sagot ko sa kaniya.

"Uh, about the club..." She sounds hesitating. "I'm not forcing you to join, but if you change your mind, you can come to the school to register. We're open every day except Sundays."

She hanged up the call, saying that she had to go to school early. Naiwan akong inaantok pa rin ng kaunti. Sinubukan ko ipikit ang mga mata at nagbabakasakaling makabalik sa pagtulog. But it seems like I won't.

Bumangon na lang ako at saka binuksan ang bintana sa aking kwarto. The sun is already awake, the skies are awake, birds already twitting and the morning air gently touched my face. This day will be a productive one only if I'm an early bird, but no, I am a night owl.

I sneaked outside my room, leaving no sound to avoid disturbing the spirit of the house and the guardian of the wind. Just kidding, there's no spirit in this house. I hope so there's none.

Mukhang ako pa lang ang gising nang makitang walang tao sa kusina. I opened the refrigerator to get the milk and bread. Ininit ko ang kawali at saka naglagay ng kaunting butter for the bread. Astra will wake up soon to cook our breakfast, in the meantime, ito muna ng kakainin ko hangga't hindi pa siya gumugising.

When the bread is already toasted, I put the fire away and spread the bread with chicken spread. Now, I can go back to my room to eat this.

I was about to return upstairs when the doorbell startled me. Muntik ko pang mabitawan ang baso na may gatas. Who's on the right mind to rang someone's door at this time of the day?

Napilitan akong ibalik sa lamesa ang pagkain at lumabas ng bahay para tingnan kung sino ang tao sa labas. The gates are closed, car occupying the average space of the front garage, noise of the water tank is disturbing the peace of the morning. I opened the gate, the sound of the clanking metal added to piss me even more.

When I peeked on the gates, I saw a familiar man standing in front of the house, he's wearing a white polo shirt printed with green leaves, with black jeans and a pair of Dr. Martens black shoes. On his right hand is a weaved basket covered with a checkered cloth.

He saw me and smiled, waved his hand as he approached closer. "Good morning!" Pluto greeted. He's looking fresh and groomed on this chill morning while I look like an ancient mangkukulam on his pajamas who's about to curse someone with my nest looking hair. I bet my morning breath can even kill an ancient beast.

"You're early," I said, covering my mouth so I won't embarrass myself. "Going practice?"

"No, I'm here to deliver these." He handed me the basket, it wasn't that heavy. "I told my aunt that there's a new neighbor here. She baked some pies and cookies for a welcome gift."

That's... nice. But is it too early to bake a pie at this time?

"Wanna have some coffee?" I asked.

"Sure."

I opened the gates so that he can enter freely. When we go inside the house, the sizzling sound of oil is occupying the room, atmosphere is colonized by the smell of bacon and eggs. Looks like my sister is already up.

But to my surprise, mama and papa is already occupying the seats beside the dining table. They looked at us with wide eyes, mouth almost open.

"This is Pluto. He sent us this." I raised the basket and bring it to the table.

"Talaga? What's inside?" Mom removed the cloth to check what's inside. Her eyes are almost twinkling when she saw the golden brown crust of the pie and the chocolate covered cookies. "Wow, who baked this? It smells really good."

"It's a welcome gift from my Auntie po, I told him yesterday that there's a new neighbor." Pluto smiled to them.

"Looks like our Augustus meet some friends," papa said. He drank his coffee and accepted the cookie that my mother give to him.

Pluto looks puzzled, he mouthed 'Who's Augustus?' and I pointed myself, letting him know that it's also me. And he was like 'oh'.

"So thoughtful," my mother said, munching the cookies. Pluto only replied with a genuine small laugh.

I almost forgot that I invited him to have some coffee. I reached some clay mug and put some powdered coffee. I don't know if he preferred some creamers on his coffee but judging on his look, I assume he will. After putting warm water, I stirred it gently.

Astra nudge my arm from the side. She's preparing the plates and silverwares for breakfast. "New found friend mo?" tanong niya.

"Met him in the park yesterday," sagot ko.

"So, kaibigan mo nga?"

"I'm not sure, hindi niya sinabi kung friends kami."

"Matik na 'yon, nagdala nga ng pagkain, eh."

I ignored what Astra said and brought the coffee to the guest. My mother invited him to sit on the dining table to join us for breakfast. Hindi naman siya nakatanggi.

"Actually, I also want to invite Luigi to attend a mass today." Pluto stirred his coffee and invited himself to get some bread on the table. "Kung papayagan niyo po siya, of couse. And if he's catholic," he added, looking shy.

"Of course," my mother replied. "Anong oras ba ng misa?"

"7:30 AM po."

I glance at the watch on the kitchen wall, it currently quarter to six. There still enough time to take a bath and prepare. I looked at my mother and father for approval, but they just nodded.

"Ano pang hinihintay mo?" Astra sat across to me with her oolong tea. "Maligo ka na, tapos mangumpisal ka na rin sa simbahan." She teased.

I heard Pluto giggled beside me, when I turned to him, he signaled me to go. I guess I won't be spending the day inside my room watching some goods. I guess my partial summer plan will also change a bit. I didn't expect my perspective about summer vacation will also change as the days passes by.

⁂⁂⁂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.2K 916 43
Ekaanta is a nobody in their school at ang gusto lang niya ay mag-aral ng maayos at tahimik, pero hindi niya inaasahan na sa dinami-rami ng estudyant...
29.2M 1M 68
(Academy Series #1) The Gonzalez heir, Kairon, was sent to Garnet Academy to ensure his safety against the suspected hierarchy war. Appointed as the...
35.6M 1.2M 37
Agatha suffers from a rare disorder that makes her sleep in a long period of time. But what happens when the modern-day sleeping beauty meets an idio...
5.8M 285K 65
(Academy Series #2) Being the son of an acting chairwoman of the academy pushed Jax to keep his identity hidden. Introduced himself as a scholar, he...