Loose Change~ Montgomery De L...

By Starlight724

Ophelia wanted to keep that night a secret. She needed it to be secret. But then she gets a box of tapes, exp... More

Prolouge
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Author's Note
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Part 2 Chapter 1
Part 2 Chapter 2
Part 2 Chapter 3
Part 2 Chapter 4
Part 2 Chapter 5
Part 2 Chapter 6a
Part 2 Chapter 6b
Part 2 Chapter 7
Part 2 Chapter 8a
Part 2 Chapter 8b
Part 2 Chapter 9
Part 2 Chapter 10
Part 2 Chapter 11
Part 2 Chapter 12a
Part 2 Chapter 12b
Part 2 Chapter 13a
Part 2 Chapter 13b
Part 3 Chapter 1a
Part 3 Chapter 1b
Part 3 Chapter 2a
Part 3 Chapter 2b
Part 3 Chapter 3a
Part 3 Chapter 3b
Part 3 Chapter 4a
Part 3 Chapter 4b
Part 3 Chapter 5a
Part 3 Chapter 5b
Part 3 Chapter 6a
Part 3 Chapter 6b
Part 3 Chapter 7a
Part 3 Chapter 7b
Part 3 Chapter 8a
Part 3 Chapter 8b
Part 3 Chapter 9a
Part 3 Chapter 9b
Part 3 Chapter 10a
Part 3 Chapter 10b
Part 3 Chapter 11a
Part 3 Chapter 11b
Part 3 Chapter 12a
Part 3 Chapter 12b
Part 3 Chapter 13a
Part 3 Chapter 13b
Part 4 Chapter 1a
Part 4 Chapter 1b
Part 4 Chapter 2a
Part 4 Chapter 2b
Part 4 Chapter 3a
Part 4 Chapter 3b
Part 4 Chapter 4a
Part 4 Chapter 4b
Part 4 Chapter 5a
Just For Fun
Part 4 Chapter 5b
Part 4 Chapter 6a
Part 4 Chapter 6b
Part 4 Chapter 6c
Part 4 Chapter 7a
Part 4 Chapter 7b
Part 4 Chapter 8a
Part 4 Chapter 8b
Part 4 Chapter 9a
Part 4 Chapter 9b
Part 4 Chapter 10a
Part 4 Chapter 10b
Part 4 Chapter 10c
Part 4 Chapter 11a
Part 4 Chapter 11b
Part 4 Chapter 12a
Part 4 Chapter 12b
Part 4 Chapter 12c
Part 4 Chapter 13a
Part 4 Chapter 13b
Part 5 Chapter 1
Part 5 Chapter 2
6:53
Part 5 Chapter 3
Part 5 Chapter 4
Part 5 Chapter 5
Goodbye and Thank You

Epilogue

3.8K 94 231
By Starlight724

photo cred: SilverRose98 editing in her fc for ophelia :)

a/n: I really want to apologize for how long this epilogue took. I got a lot of anxiety about releasing it because I was so worried about forgetting something or making people dislike the ending. It was hard to edit because I kept getting anxious and needing days of breaks. But you guys didn't deserve it and I'm sorry for that.

I wrote this a little different than most chapters. There's a few cut scene of explanations for where I think some characters would've ended up in the real show. Sorry if the format is confusing, I can change it if it's unliked

Thank you to all my commenters. I'll post one more author's note expressing my full gratitude for you guys. I really love you all.

If I missed anything feel free to ask! I have everything thought out but feel free to comment or message me in case I forgot to write something in. I love getting your messages !!

tw: mentions of past abuse, mentions of past sexual assault

-ten years later-

It wasn't even summer yet, but it already was blazing hot outside. Ophelia had the AC cranked onto full blast, but the sun still shined through the window, hitting her. She groaned. Traffic was horrible today. She glanced at the clock. She was barely going make it in time.

Finally, after nearly thirty minutes of traffic, she got to the elementary school. She practically ran inside. They were outside in the back, playing on the playground. "Hi! Hi! I'm here! I'm sorry I'm late, but I'm here!" The boy she called out to wasn't paying attention. He was playing tetherball. She tried, "JT, come on!"

A school teacher stood by the door. She checked her watch, an annoyed look on her face. "Pickup is at two thirty, Mrs. Reed."

"I know, I know," Ophelia said. "Sorry, I had to stop by a bakery after work, it closed at three."

The excuse didn't seem to satisfy the older woman. She grumbled something under her breath, and then called out, "Justin! Your mom's here!"

JT finally looked over, and spotted her. He smiled. He said a quick goodbye to the boy he was playing with, and grabbed his backpack off the ground, sprinting over to her like he was trying to show the whole playground how fast he was.

He jabbed his thumb behind him. "Mom! That's Ivan! I invited him to the party, is that okay?"

"Oh, sure," she breathed, signing a quick paper provided by the teacher to check JT out of school. She then placed her hand on his shoulder. "Let's go."

"You're late today," JT said to her. They stepped out towards the car. "I was, like, the last kid." He said it like he was amused. Because he was. His mother was such a punctual person, he thought it was funny how frazzled she was when late.

"There were at least fifteen kids on that playground," she defended herself. "You weren't the last kid. Trust me, I've been the last kid. That requires a lot more waiting." She grabbed his backpack, opening the car door for him. "Hop in."

He immediately started talking again once she sat down. "You got my cake?"

"Yes, dear. It's in the back."

He turned fast, and saw it in the backseat. He reached for it.

Ophelia put her hand up, saying, "Ah, ah. It's for Sunday. Not today."

"I'm just taste testing it."

"Mhm," she said, unconvinced. "You can do that Sunday."

"Dad'll let me taste it."

Ophelia let out a laugh. "Yeah, yeah. Go ahead and try it with him."

They arrived home less than fifteen minutes later. JT went running inside. Ophelia picked up the cake, careful with it, bringing it in. The last thing she needed was to drop it and have to start all over with ordering. JT, being a polite boy, held the door open for his mother. She thanked him and smiled, even more so as she spotted her husband just ahead, in the kitchen.

Scott's expression lit up when he saw her too. "Ah, you were actually able to get it. And on time," he teased. He knew she was worried the bakery would close before she got there. She spent all morning muttering about how stressed she was to pick it up on time, yet she denied that Scott had to worry about it. She didn't even let him offer to pick it up. After all, he was the cook, like always. She didn't want to put even more of a burden on him.

"I got the cake on time, not the kid," she sighed.

"I was the last one there," JT said, dramatically.

Ophelia narrowed her eyes, "Not even." Placing the cake box onto the counter, Scott peaked inside. He read allowed, "Happy Birthday Justin." He smiled at his wife, "Did you pick up the '10' candle?"

"I got it yesterday, it's in the drawer."

"Can I taste the cake?" JT asked his father. "Please? To make sure I like it?"

Scott shurgged, internally debating. "Um...I guess a taste wouldn't hurt." Scott panicked as he looked up and saw Ophelia's dispproving stare, and quickly added, "I mean-If you're mom's okay with it."

JT groaned. "I just wanted some frosting."

"There's Mochi in the freezer," Ophelia told him. "Wouldn't you rather have one of those?"

JT shook his head.

She caved. "Fine. One taste."

He celebrated his victory, loudly, as Scott cut a piece of the frosting off for the boy. JT was spoiled. But it wasn't something Ophelia was ashamed of.

Ophelia sat at the kitchen table, taking off her strapped on heels. Her feet were aching. Scott came over, standing behind her and massaging her shoulders slightly.

"You seem tired," he noticed. More tired than usual. "How was work?"

"I should be asking you that," she pointed out. "You're the person who just got promoted. You're the one who went to work, went to the store, and made dinner. You're the one who should be tired." She started to stand. "Why don't you sit and I'll-"

He stopped her. He lightly pushed her back towards the chair, and sat her back down. He kept rubbing her shoudlers. "I'm fine. I work in an office. I'm sitting all day. Trust me, I'm glad I finally get to move around."

Scott worked in a high class office, for a company that was in charge of writing up contracts for athletes who were transitioning from college to professional sports teams. He helped decide what their payout would be, and how many hours of practice was required for each rookie.

Scott Reed had always had the mind of an athlete. Ophelia was beyond grateful he got to turn his hobby into a real profession. Ophelia leaned into her husband's touch. "How's Sofia?"

"She's been asleep for about twenty minutes. She's obsessed with this little pink teddybear Estella found at her old house. It looks kind of familiar, but I don't know where she got it. JT'll probably wake her up in about...five minutes with his loudness."

Ophelia laughed. She finally stood and said, "I'll go get her now. Let her sleep in my arms for a bit."

Scott finished making dinner while Ophelia retreated into the back room. A few moments later, she reappeared. Now, with Sofia in her arms. The three year old girl clung to her mother. She was sleepy, but eyes were wide open. She blinked, droopily.

"Hey, Sofie," Scott greeted, with an even bigger smile. He kissed his daughter's hand. She hid her face, shyly, like she always did when first waking up.

Sofia Reed was definitely her mother's daughter.

She inherited none of her father's blonde genes. Instead, she had dark, dark hair that matched her mother. In fact, all of her face matched her mother's, besides her beautiful blue eyes from dad.

It was odd, because she was only a quarter, but Sofia had a strong Chinese physical appearance. JT didn't.

JT was his father's son.

Montgomery's son.

As JT grew older, his Latino appearance started to become more and more obvious. He was tanner than both Ophelia and Scott, and in the summer he would get as dark as Mr. Tristano, his grandfather. He had Montgomery's hair, and Montgomery's nose, and the voice. Ophelia would hear Montgomery's laugh from him. All the time.

But luckily, Montgomery's physical build, as well as his smile, had been similar to Scott's. To people that didn't know the truth, Scott easily passed as JT's biological father. Not that he explicitly tried to, it was just sometimes easier if people didn't know everything.

When JT first started going to elementry school, Scott had not officially adopted him yet. Him and Ophelia got married just after college, but the adoption took two extra years to be completed.

At JT's school, people were just so...nosy. Mostly the adults. They would notice that JT had a different last name and they would always pull Ophelia to the side and ask if Scott was his real father, or step father. Which was a personal question, one that shouldn't be thrown around so easily, but it still was.

Ophelia would explain that, no, Scott was not the biological father. That father had passed away. Then, of course, they would ask how. And the strangest part was, no matter how many times it'd happen, Ophelia would always start to say, "He was sick..."

When imagining the death of JT's father, Ophelia would think of a hospital. She would think of heart monitors, and IV bags, and respirators. She would think of days and days of sitting next to a hospital bed, restless nights, and holding the hand of the person she thought she had more time with. Ophelia would imagine JT's father as a poor, sick boy, who had less time than he needed.

Ophelia would think of Justin.

Ten years had passed since Justin Foley died, but there was never a second that Ophelia forgot how much the teenager had loved her son. She'd never forget Justin planning a future with her and JT in it. She had loved Justin in such a powerful way that even now, after all these years, her heart would swell at the thought of him.

The only tragedy that hurt worse than Justin dying so young was that JT didn't remember him at all.

Her son would never know him. And neither would any of the teachers at JT's school, despite the past jokes Justin made about showing up at parent teacher conferences. He was gone. And the worst part was, every time someone asked about JT's father, she would start to say Justin, and then remember he had no real guardianship. She had no way to mention him at all.

Then, to make it all hurt worse, Ophelia would be painfully reminded of his real father, Montgomery. He was stabbed to death, and left to bleed out on a prison floor. Montgomery was in prison because he had raped Ophelia. He had left her in the worst physical and emotional condition of her life. He died before the son he always wanted had been born. And each time that stupid 'how did his real father die?' question was asked, Ophelia would have to relive the fact that she loved, and lost both of these boys.

"He was in an accident," is what Ophelia would say. She'd leave it at that. She wished she never had to say anything at all.

Ophelia got lost in her mind for too long.

She snapped back to reality as Scott began humming under his breath, and she realized where she was.

She was in her kitchen with her husband and daughter. She let out a low breath, and let herself relax in her chain.

Gently, Ophelia rocked Sofia in her arms. Her eye caught something on the refrigerator. "Oh, is that the official invitation?" she asked. She stood, careful with her daughter, moving closer for a better view. "Do we need to bring it tomorrow?"

She looked over the small flyer carefully.

'LIBERTY HIGH CLASS OF 2019 TEN YEAR REUNION'

"They're a little early," Ophelia commented. "JT was born months before school ended." The actual ten year graduation anniversary was still weeks away, yet the celebration was that weekend.

Scott lightly shrugged. "Probably something to do with scheduling. It's just in the gym. That's gonna be booked for the new graduates in May. This might be the only opening they have."

"Mmm," she breathed. "Like we needed it in the school gym. Not like we could do a reunion cruise or something nice like that."

Scott snorted. "Too bad your president sucks."

Ophelia rolled her eyes. Scott had his ten year reunion the year earlier. They had all met on a beach, and had an all expenses paid weekend vacation. Their year was kinder to each other, had less bad memories. Jessica Davis was planning this year's anniversary, as 2019 class president. Jessica must've thought the gym was good enough. Ophelia sighed. Oh well, she was interested to see what the school looked like now.

"Can I play on the TV?" JT asked, coming out dressed in his pajamas already. He had a habit of taking naps after school, and Ophelia didn't like him under his covers in his outside clothes, so he'd often change into pajamas once he got home.

"Go ahead," Ophelia told him. She still rocked Sofia in his arms. "You've got an hour before dinner."

They watched him excitedly rush into the living room.

"Honor's gonna be here by tomorrow afternoon so we can get ready?" Scott asked. Honor was the one that would be babysitting while they were at the reunion.

Ophelia smiled, and nodded. "She'll be here in the morning."

Her husband placed a kiss of her head, and she swooned. He was so handsome still, with a head full of blonde hair, sun kissed skin. She hit the jackpot with him.

Ophelia and Scott lived in San Francisco. They had a house further from the main city. It didn't get too cold in their neighborhood, unfortunately that meant the spring and summer got hot. Honor still lived in Vallejo, where they grew up. She drove down every few weekends to see the family. She would be spending a full four days at their house this visit. The reunion was the day before JT's birthday, so Honor would be the main babysitter during the reunion, and the next day while Ophelia and Scott finished setting up for the party.

"I know this is technically your reunion, but I'm really excited. I can't wait to see how people ended up," Scott said, enthusistically. "You know, the people we lost contact with. It'll be fun to see where they're at."

Ophelia was just as excited. She wanted to know where everyone ended up.

*****

Zach Dempsey

Zach's current life wasn't a mystery to Ophelia, because they were still very much involved in each other's lives. It was both surprising and not. They'd grow up as dear friends, so in a way she should've expected to stay close with him. Their harshest days together took place in high school. And for a while, things stayed tense between them. But Zachary was a good man at heart. Time passed, and they felt like family again. He was family to JT.

Zach arrived at the Reed household the day of the high school reunion. He slammed the door open, letting it the wall, holding his arms up. With a huge smile, he announced, "I have arrived!"

JT, who'd been drawing at the dining table with his sister, went running for the door. "Uncle Zach!"

Zach kneeled down, laughing. "Hey, Buddy!" He picked up JT, spinning him so the boy was upside down. 

"Don't do that on the tile," Ophelia complained, passing them to grab her jacket. "Go over to the carpet." Protectiveness came out in her voice. Because Ophelia was always protective of her son, about everything, in every way. How could she not be?

Zach set him down. "Alright, alright."

"Can we play football outside?" JT asked, excitedly.

"Aw, I don't think we have time for that," Zach said, tsking. "Tomorrow though, promise."

Scott stepped outside of the bedroom. He was dressed and ready to head to Liberty high for the reunion. He was rolling up the sleeves on his blue dress shirt when he noticed the company. "Hey, Zach."

Zach greeted him, "Sup, Scotty?" Scott's nickname stuck through the years.

"How's the team doing?" Scott asked him.

"They're amazing this year," Zach beamed. "We're gonna be going to championships for sure."

When Zach graduated from Liberty, Coach Kerba offered him a position as assistant football coach, the same position Scott had during Ophelia's senior year. Zach accepted it. He didn't realize he'd stay there, but he did. Now, nearing the ten year anniversary, he was the head coach. He had been for four years already. He was great at it. He knew the kids well, and he was patient with them in a way most coaches weren't. Zach had grown back into his kindness.

"I'm gonna take them to championships when I go there," JT insisted.

"Of course you will. If you go to Liberty, that is, and your mom doesn't send you to some fancy smancy private school," Zach said, patting him on the back. "You'd be a natural, just like your dad."

Ophelia was in the middle of pulling on her jacket, but she paused. Zach's words caused her to freeze. Until JT turned to Scott and asked, "You were good?"

Scott answered, "Of course I was. I played all four years of high school.

Ophelia relaxed. She glanced into the mirror by the doorway, and began putting on her earrings.

Honor, who'd arrived earlier that day, came into the kitchen. Zach greeted her. "Hey."

Honor only said, "Your mother has been complaing to me about how little you've been visiting her."

He rolled his eyes. "She's so dramatic. I call her everyday. She's the one that moved almost two hours away to Sacramento."

"Yet, you make trips up here almost every weekend," Honor pointed out.

Scott tsked now. "She's got you on that one."

"I've got to visit my godson," Zach tried to say. "And my godaughter-"

"My goddaughter," Honor corrected him. She went up to Sofia, sitting next to her as the girl continued drawing with crayons on her large coloring book. "Your mom also told me that you should get a girlfriend and give her an actual grandchild."

"Yeah, my mom needs to stop talking to you," Zach mumbled, rolling his eyes. "You guys ready to go or what?" Zach was the one giving them a ride to the reunion, while Honor babysat.

Ophelia grabbed her purse, and finished putting on her jewelry. Scott and her then both kissed their kids goodbye, and all three of them headed to Liberty High School.

Jessica Davis

When they arrived at the school, they started towards the gym, where the reunion was being held. Jessica Davis was there to greet them. It made sense that she took her duty of class president so seriously, even now. She stood by the door, a clipboard in hand. She was taking people's names, handing out name tags. She greeted Zach with a smile as he passed through first. The two of them also kept in touch because Jessica came and held assemblies at Liberty High often, warning kids about the dangers of over drinking, roofies, and sexual assault awareness. She gave many speeches to the athletic teams specifically, meaning she visited Zach's football team annually.

Jessica then stood up straighter as she noticed Ophelia, recognizing her immediately.

"Ophelia," Jessica breath, with a smile. "And...Scott. Wow. Hi. It's so great to see you two. I've been wondering how you've been."

Ophelia realized people were probably just as curious about her as she had been about them. Especailly since Ophelia and Scott didn't post much about their lives online. They shared a facebook account to keep track of family members, and update them with photos of the kids, but besides that they didn't use socail media.

After being forced to see the deadly toll cyberbullying had on people, and the pain of rumors and miscommmunication, the couple decided they didn't want to be online.

"I'm so glad you two came," Jessica continued on. "I mean, prom queen. One of our guests of honor. We have your picture up and everything."

"Oh god," Ophelia mumbled wth a laugh, thinking back to that crowning. "I think I remember my face having such a stupid expression in those photos." She'd been so surprised by winning.

"A beautiful expression," Scott corrected.

Jessica smiled a bit at Scott's compliment towards his wife. It was...refreshing to see a high school couple still speak sweetly to each other. "Here's your nametag," Jessica told her. "It has your high school photo on it, and your name. " Ophelia placed it on the side of her blouse. "I heard about the company you opened in SF," Jessica pointed out. "It sounds...amazing."

Ophelia knew that some point in the night people would ask her what she did for work. But she didn't realize people were already caught up. It made sense, in a way. Jessica of all people would know about it. She had a similar field of work. "Thanks," Ophelia replied. "You opened your own place too, right?"

"Not completely my own," Jessica admitted. "It's a new branch of Planned Parenthood. One that's discrete. It focuses on outreach for girls who, um..." She hesitated, and Ophelia knew she was trying to find sensitive words. "It's mostly for sexual assault victims who don't want to have to reach out to the actual Planned Parenthood brand, those who don't want to risk running into protesters."

Ophelia nodded, and explained, "My company has had a few meetings with them, I think it's a really good idea."

The reason Jessica had been unsure of how to explain things was because she had not wanted to outright say that she ran a more discrete wing of Planned Parenthood that dealt with abortions of pregnancies that came from rape. It was a more painful procede that was more emotionally and physically dificult to complete when there was tearing and stitching in the vaginal area. Obviously, Jessica hadn't wanted to bring up this topic to Ophelia, who became pregant from rape.

But again, ten years had passed. Ophelia was less senstive about the topic since she worked with assault victims at her own company, and often shared her experience with them.

"You have a few daughters now, right?" Ophelia asked her, trying to remember what she'd heard from others.

"Yes," Jessica smiled. "Hannah and Natalie."

"How are they? And your husband?" Scott asked.

"All three of them are good. My husband's inside, in charge of the food table. Tell him if we run out of anything."

Ophelia managed a laugh. "Will do."

Jessica got married two years after her college graduation. She had her first child a year after college, then another the next year.  The four of them now lived in Los Angeles.

Marisa Anderson

Marisa was unable to make it to the reunion. Mostly due to the fact she was too busy-or, her husband was. After enrolling in The University of Alabama, her and Paul broke up due to the distance. Months later, she began dating a boy she believed to have 'political ambition'. Maria spent hours on the phone talking to Ophleia about how he was shy, but was good with words. She could 'make him be somebody', as Marisa put it. Nearly ten years later, they were now married. Marisa was successful, and helped make him into one of the youngest councilmen the state of Alabama ever had. Now, he was halfway to becoming an Alabama state senator. The two lived in Washington DC, where Marisa told Ophelia they were going to settle down and have kids.

Ophelia often saw Marisa on the television, looking beautiful as she stood next to her husband at campaign rallys.

Marisa was one of the strongest people Ophelia knew. Because as soon as Marisa's husband ran for city counsel, someone leaked the story of her sex tape, the one her high school boyfriend Andy had released out of spite. Marisa brushed it off like it was nothing, and Ophelia had alwasy admired her for how much she didn't care about what cruel people said about her. She deserved a DC house to settle down in.

Marisa and Ophelia still kept in touch, despite their busy schedules. Though they hadn't seen each other in person in years, they still had hour long phone calls every few weeks where Marisa talked her head off.

Diego Torres

Entering Liberty High, Ophelia and Scott slowly made their ways down the hallway. Before getting to the gym, she paused as they got to the trohpy case, pointing it out. Scott grinned, admiring it. "That's my year," he made sure to tell her, showing the trophy where he was listed as MVP. "Look how impressed they were with me to still have it up. That's my name. See?" He turned her more, smiling with a gloating look. "See it?"

"Wow. Very impressive. Can't believe I'm going to bed with such an award winning athlete tonight," she told him.

He grabbed her hand tigher. "We don't have to wait until tonight. We can go to bed right there in the bathroom, remember the Valentine's day dance-" Ophelia shushed him, laughing. "What, aren't we reliving the good old days?"

Her face grew dark red. She was ten years older than she was at that dance, but her embarrassed expression hadn't changed at all. "Good old days? Didn't Clay go crazy with a knife?"

Scott tsked. "I cut him out of the memory. It's way hotter that way."

She snorted.

"Yo, Reed!" The shout came from down the hall.

Scott's face lit up. "Torres!"

Diego halfway jogged down the hallway, meeting his friend in the middle. He engulfed Scott in a large hug, before doing the same to Ophelia. "Mr. and Mrs. Long time, no see."

"Saw you two weeks ago," she corrected him. Diego had on a nice blazer, and dress pants. He looked expensive, but he always did nowadays. Diego was also a business man. He worked at a company similar to Scott's, one with athletes and marketing. The two men saw each other at contract signings often, and always caught up at a bar afterwards. "I think you were wearing that exact same thing last time I saw you," she mentioned.

Diego shrugged, smirking. "What can I say? I buy quality. I think everyone deserves to see my amazing style." Ophelia only pointed it out because she herself wore a shirt with her company logo on it every time she went to work. Since her and Diego worked in the same city, he'd occasionally pass by her company and say 'hello' to her. He'd tease her about being the head of a company and still wearing a 'uniform'.

"I bet he's wearing that to JT's birthday party too," Scott joked. Diego snorted, "Hey, I gotta teach the kid some style too. Look who he's got as parents, he has a lot to learn." Diego would also be attending JT's birthday party that weekend.

"Yeah, thanks," she said, rolling her eyes.

"Not everyone has class," Diego teased.

"Yeah, keep talking," Scott said. "I've got some very classless photos of you from your frat days."

Diego snorted. "And I've got some classless stories about a certain high school counselor getting a student alone in the woods during a school field trip-"

"Hey!" Ophelia warned. She groaned. "I knew I shouldn't have told Estella what happened."

Diego laughed still. He snapped his fingers. "Oh, I meant to ask. About JT's party, is it okay if I bring drinks?"

Ophelia lit up. "Oh, that'd be great. You don't have to bring anything, but it'd be nice if you could."

"Great, I got a couple cases of Modelo."

Scott laughed, while Ophelia said, "Oh, you meant drinks for us."

Further down the hall, Ophelia spotted Estella making making her way towards them. "Diego, you have to ask before bringing alcohol to a kid's party," Estella called out.

He defended himself. "I just did."

Estella caught up with them, and stood next to her husband. She rolled her eyes, saying to Ophelia, "He's used to his family's parties. They're up until three in the morning drinking for a two year old's birthday."

"That sounds like my dad's side of the family," Ophelia laughed.

"Oh, god," Estella said, with joking sadness. "I just realized I'm considered 'dad's side of the family' to JT."

Ophelia hesitated for a moment. She shot a look at Scott, not sure if Estella's words upset him. But he just laughed with his friends. She relaxed.

Estella De La Cruz

Estella went to Sanderson the year after graduating, moving in with Scott and Ophelia. Scott and Diego remained great friends, their friendship growing closer as they entered the same frats and majors. Diego was at the apartment all the time. Estella's crush on him was obvious, just like in high school. She'd still stumble over her words when he was near, and turn into a blushing mess if he made the smallest compliment.

But even after she turned eighteen, then nineteen, then twenty, Diego never felt comfortable making a move on her. He liked her back, which was obvious to Ophelia and Scott. But she was Montgomery's little sister. He was terrified they might try to make a relationship work, only for them to end up having a hard breakup. The closer Diego and Estella grew in friendship, the more they were scared about losing each other.

So they tried to force their romantic feelings for each other to die.

Even when Diego got engaged to a girl he dated in college, Estella pretended it didn't bother her. When they broke up because his fiancé was unfaithful, Estella comforted him, but only as a friend.

Estella had a few boyfriends in college too, but none of them lasted more than a few months. It was hard being close to people when you were burdened with trauma they wouldn't understand. It was hard to explain why she spoke so highly of her older brother when they find out he was killed in prison.

Until she was twenty one, Estella used to cry over the fact that she wouldn't find a boy who understood her. She thought she'd never have what Scott and Ophelia had.

Then, just before her college graduation, her father died.

He died of consumption. Diego was the one to comfort her, and she realized even more that he already understood her. He was a man who understood her grief, even if she grieved over a bad person. Diego understood Estella in the same way Scott understood Ophelia. He took care of her. He helped set her up in her own apartment when Scott and Ophleia bought a house of their own in San Francisco. They offered to let her move in, but she wanted to stay near her mother. Diego finally asked her out on the Valentine's Day after she graduated. They married less than three years later.

The married Torres couple then also moved to San Francisco for Diego's nice office job. They were across the city from the Reeds, but Estella and Ophelia got coffee together about two times a week ever since.

Estella was mainly sold on moving to the city because of the company Ophelia opened. Part of the company focused on rehabilitation from drugs. Estella was able to enroll her mother in the program. Currently, the woman had been clean for two and a half years.

Estella and Diego did not have any kids yet. They didn't want any for a few more years. But Estella was an aunt, and after marrying her, Diego became an uncle. JT and Sofia kept them satisfied on the topic of children for now.

Luke Holliday

"What about Luke? Is he here?" Ophelia asked Diego and Estella. "I haven't seen him since his wedding. I really wanted to catch up."

Luke joined the military after college, the marines to be specific. He was married a year after graduation. She knew from Diego that he had three sons, and one daughter.

"Nah, I don't think he was able to make it. He moves around a lot," Diego said. "He's living in Florida right now, but I think he's being deployed to Japan for a few months."

"Not even deployed yet and he's missing the reunion," Scott tsked. Ophelia chuckled. Scott put his arm around her, pulling her closer against him. She liked hearing about old friend.

Charlie St. George

The four of them walked down the hallway, to the gym. It was busy in there, crowded. It was filled with their graduationg class, plus everyone's spouses. At first glance, everyone was unrecognizable. Most of their faces had changed, but expressions were still exact and recognizable.

Like Charlie St. George. She spotted him by the door, and he lit up when he saw them. He had the same goofy, childish smile as always. "Oh, shit! Hey guys!" He hurried over. "You all come together?"

"We met in the hallway," Diego said.

"Hi, Charlie," Ophelia breathed. She hugged him, tightly. She hadn't seen him in a few years. "Oh, I've missed you."

Charlie, like Zach, still worked at the school. He was a guidance counselor, and worked for the school's LGBTQ resource center. He wasn't married, but he was engaged to a new teacher that he met a few years prior.

"I wanted to take today to offically hand out my wedding invitations," he said. He had a stack of envelopes in his hands, and handed each couple one. "It's gonna be local. I hope you guys could make it."

"Wouldn't miss it," Diego beamed.

Charlie had been one of the first guests to RSVP for Scott and Ophelia's wedding, there was no way they would miss his.

Alex Standall

Alex and Charlie broke up after high school when Alex transferred to a college in New York. He got a good job in the big city, and Ophelia heard he went back to the blonde hair. She saw a photo of him once, and it hardly even looked like Alex. He never got over Bryce's death, or the guilt that came with it. So they already knew he woudn't be coming to the reunion. He didn't stay in contact with anyone.

Ophelia thought that was for the best. Some people were better off forgetting their high school days. She was glad he made a new life for himself. But she actually missed him too.

Tyler Down

"Hey, can I get you guys to smile for a picture?" Tyler Down appeared with a professional, expressive camera.

"Oh, Tyler!" Ophelia threw her arms around him. "How are you? How are you?"

Tyler was a lot taller. He must have grown at least four inches since graduation, which hadn't seemed possible considering how tall he already was when they were teenagers.

"I've been really good," he told them, smiling widely. He looked between her and Scott. "I'm..." He stopped, and smiled again. "I'm really glad to see that you and Scott are still together. You have two kids now, right? JT and a daughter."

"Yes. Sofia," Ophelia beamed, just thinking of her. "She's two."

"She's just as beautiful as her mom," Scott explained.

Tyler worked for the San Francisco and surrounding area's newspaper as head photographer. He recentally won a large scale photography contest, and she saw articles about it online. He was doing really well for himself. She knew he deserved it.

Tony Padilla

Tony didn't make it to the reunion either. Him and Caleb were married now, and the two of them moved to Vermont. They had six adopted children, as many siblings as Tony had growing up. Ophelia saw him a few times around the holidays. She'd travel to Mexico with Scott and the kids to visit her father's side of the family, and Tony's family would visit the same time. The rest of the Padillas lived in the same town, which was why her and Tony's fathers were such good friends growing up. Caleb fit right in. They seemed happy together.

Winston Williams

Winston went to the Hillcrest reunion, not the Liberty one. He had more friends at the other school anyway. He had transferred to Liberty only to prove Montgomery didn't kill Bryce, and he was able to succeed. Montgomery De La Cruz was not Bryce Walker's murderer, and no one thought he was anymore.

But Winston would've enjoyed the display, Ophelia realized. The display on the wall of the gym that honored the Liberty high athletes that passed away while attending the school. The display that still held the De La Cruz jersey, ten years later, as well as the jersey of Jeff Atkins, and Justin Foley.

Ani Achola

Ani moved back to Europe after college, taking her mother with her. No one knew much of her besides that.

Clay Jensen

Clay was one of the last people Ophelia expected to come to the reunion. She thought that he hated everyone in the end. But he was there, with his wife. She was gorgeous, and smart. She heard from Diego that she was a computer whiz, smarter than Clay.

While Scott reunited with her year's football team, Ophelia found Clay standing by himself near the wall of the gym, in front of the memorial jerseys. He was staring up at his brother's.

"Hey, Clay..." Ophelia greeted, softly.

He turned around, surprised. "Oh...Ophelia. Hi." He stepped back. "It's...good to see you."

Oh, Clay. He hadn't changed. Still awkward. Still not knowing what to say. She hadn't seen him since her and Scott's wedding, years ago.

He scratched the back of his head. "Scott here?"

"Yeah," she smiled.

"Did you guys...?" He paused again. "Did you guys bring JT?"

"No," she told him softly. "My sister's babysitting him."

Clay just nodded. Then he asked, "How's he doing, though? He in school?"

"Yeah. Fifth grade," she explained.

"I heard that, um..." He glanced once at Justin's jersey, and then back to her. "Zach's his godfather now, right?"

Her smile faltered, wondering what Clay might think of that. "Yeah," she told him. She bit her bottom lip, watching him nod. She added, "But...you know, he can't really compare to Justin."

Clay cleared his throat, and put his hands in the pocket of his dress pants. "Justin was real excited to be a godfather."

She blinked, hard. Her eyes stung as she recalled the excitement that was always displayed on the face of that teenager. "I know. He was perfect."

Clay winced. He'd grieved Justin on his own after high school. He'd moved away, didn't really talk to anyone. Not that anyone could help his feelings. Only a brother can help you stop missing a brother. And he didn't have one anymore.

Clay cleared his throat, then pointed across the hall. "I should introduce you to my wife, Heidi." He admitted to Ophelia, "We also have a son. You beat us to the best name, though."

Ophelia risked a sad laugh.

"Jeff Jensen," he finally told her. "That's what we went with."

A pitiful smile graced her face. "That's a nice name." She collapsed her hands together. "I'm glad you came today. I didn't think you would."

He sighed, laughing. "Well, just like in high school, I was dragged here."

"By your wife?"

"My mom," he told her. He pointed more inside the gym. "She signed up to help work the door."

Ophelia's face softened when looked over and saw her.

Mrs. Jensen

Between all these people...Mrs. Jensen was the one she was most nervous about greeting. She must have seen her in the corner of her eye twenty times, but never realized it was her until Clay explicitly told her. The blonde woman was all gray now. She was forty-three when they graduated, now she was fifty-three. She had aged, but her smile was just as bright as ever as she noticed who was walking towards her.

"Oh..." She placed a hand over her chest. "Ophelia," Mrs. Jensen said, her voice just as pitiful as hers was earlier. "Hi, Ophelia." She wrapped her arms around the girl. "Oh, Ophelia."

"Hi, Mrs. Jensen." Ophelia felt like a young girl again.

"Please," the older woman whispered. "You're a grown woman. A mother. Call me Lainie."

She couldn't. It would always be Mrs. Jensen to her.

"I-I saw the photo you posted of JT a few weeks ago," Mrs. Jensen commented. "He's getting to be so handsome."

"He gets so much bigger everyday," Ophelia sighed.

"And that beautiful Sofia," Mrs. Jensen breathed. "She looks so much like you guys."

"She has her father's eyes," Ophelia smiled. "A beautiful blue."

"You guys look so happy together," Mrs. Jensen drawled. "Your big, happy family."

Ophelia had not seen Mrs. Jensen since her and Scott's wedding either.

Mrs. Jensen had been sobbing that day. Not just because she watched two kids become adults and get married, but because it was Ophelia and Scott. The older woman had felt responsible for them, she knew them so well, she'd watched them grow. And...they were the ones Justin wanted to see together. It felt like Justin got what he wanted. He was without a doubt at peace.

"Clay's starting his own happy family," Ophelia brought up. "You've got a grandson now."

"Little Jeff, he's such an angel," Mrs. Jensen gloated. "But he is a crier. Nothing like JT was, if he stayed as quiet as I remember."

"He never cried much, but he's definitely not quiet anymore." Both woman laughed.

Again, it felt so odd to think about. Had Justin not died, Mrs.Jensen would've stayed in JT's life. She would be close to a grandmother. She was a stranger now.

"I heard Mr. Jensen got a promotion," Ophelia said. "He's in charge of all admissions at Sanderson, right?"

"Yes, yes," she beamed. "And, you know, a perk of the job is that he gets to pick three candidates each year that get to be sped up in the process of enrolling. Once JT and Sofia are old enough, if they're interested, we'll get them to the top of the list."

"You guys are so good to me and Scott." Still, after all these years. "I'd love for them to go there."

"Scott's got a big office job according to Clay. And-he said you opened up some type of company?" Mrs. Jensen waved a hand through the air. "I apologize. I tried to keep up but I never figured out what exactly it was. I heard it had to do with rehabilitation but...I'm not good with...that topic anymore."

Ophelia cleared her throat. "Actually, since you brought up my company...I'd love to talk to you about it. I...had wanted to bring this up to you for a long time. I had the idea back before I even graduated, I didn't realize I'd make it to this point."

Mrs. Jensne looked so proud. "You kids are really capable of anything."

Not a kid anymore, Ophelia was almost thirty. But she continued, "It did start as a type of rehabilitation. It actually began as a small support group. One for teenagers. It was to help kids who were, um, living on the street. Kids who got into drugs and wanted to get a fresh start."

"Oh," Mrs. Jensen breathed. Ophelia saw the flicker of sadness in her eye, and she knew the older woman was thinking of her late son. "That's amazing work."

"It got pretty popular in the city," Ophelia explained. "I ended up opening my own rehab clinic. I used most of my money from the school's lawsuit to get a license to open a medical wing. We started taking adults too, people of all ages. It became a live in rehab. Then, we opened a second wing, for girls who wanted housing after being abused or assaulted. It was more of a safe space than anything."

The look of pride stayed in Mrs. Jensen's eyes.

Ophelia got to the part that made her more nervous. "We have a new wing in the works too. I mean...It'll probably take a few years still to be finished and ready. It's focusing on medical needs."

"For addicts?" Mrs. Jensen guessed.

Ophelia bit her lip. "For...teenagers with STDs."

Mrs. Jensen's lips parted in surprise.

"Mostly homeless kids exposed to sexual violence. But we accept any situation. There are rooms for them to stay in while being treated. It's a non profit. They don't pay. We keep them as long as they need treatment." She took another breath. "We're focusing on the AIDs crisis that's rolling through San Francisco again."

"The AIDs crisis." Mrs. Jensen swallowed loudly. Her eyes were distant, and Ophelia knew she was caught up in the past once more. "That's-That's important work."

Again, Ophelia got to the hardest part. "I was going to ask for permission once the building permits went through," Ophelia told her. "To ask if you believed it was appropriate...I wanted to name that wing The Foley Foundation."

"Oh..." Mrs. Jensen's hand fell over her chest. Her eyes glossed over. "Oh, Ophelia..."

"I wouldn't have any of this without Justin," Ophelia breathed. "I wouldn't have stayed in California for college. I wouldn't have let myself talk to Scott again. I wouldn't have sued the school...I don't even know if I would've had JT." Ophelia felt her voice wavered. She stopped and gathered herself. "I owe almost everything to him. I don't want anyone else to lose their Justin."

"He'd be so touched," Mrs. Jensen whispered, with a crack of her voice. "And-And so happy."

He was so happy, Ophelia remembered. Especially in the end. So happy to be so sad about dying.

Later in the night, Ophelia found the photo of her and Justin. Prom King and Prom Queen. She stood in front of it. The glass over the photo held her reflection. Her older face reflected over her young one. There was no reflection over Justin. His beautiful, youthful smile was encapsulated forever.

*****

After the reunion officially ended, Diego talked a bunch of people into going to the local bar.

It was...fun. Really fun. Ophelia had not spoken to these people in so long. And it was drinking that brought out their immaturity. Then, it was their immaturity that brought out the teenager in everyone. They all became how they were all those years ago.

Scott could tell Ophelia was getting tired around one o'clock in the morning, so he called a car, Zach staying longer with his buddies.

Ophelia leaned agaisnt her husband in the back of the Uber.

"That was a lot," Ophelia whispered to Scott. Her head was on his shoulder. She held onto him tight as the car numbed over potholes in the road.

"It was fun," he told her. "We got to see how everyone turned out, right?"

"...Yeah," she whispered. She frowned. "I mean...I liked remembering the kids too, you know? Us as kids."

"Memories still exist," he told her. She slowly nodded.

"...I think..." She bit her lip. "I think seeing everyone so old reminds me that some people never got there," she whispered.

Scott stiffened beside her.

It was hard. People didn't make it.

She felt guilty if those people ever slipped her mind.

Because sometimes Hannah slipped her mind. Except at work, when she did everything she could to make sure she recognized signs of suicide among any of the patients.

Hannah Baker would've made such a big impact of the world. Such a bright girl, with bright ideas. Now, she was a symbol of too much suffering. That was the most tragic thing about her death. There was a memorial for her at school as well, but it mentioned suicide prevention. She would be remembered as a sufferer, not as a poet.

Jeff Atkins was a warning against drunk driving. Hannah Baker was a warning against bullying. Bryce Walker was a warning against rape. Montgomery De La Cruz was a warning against abuse. Justin Foley was a warning against drugs.

But...they weren't supposed to be warnings. They were supposed to be people.

She wished they were all still people.

Justin's death changed something for her. After Jeff, then Hannah, then Monty, she was convinced life would keep getting worse and worse.

Then Justin died. And it stopped.

Because that was the worse it would ever get.

His death was rock bottom. An unbearable pain. A pain that made Hannah's death feel like just a bad day.

Justin Foley always wanted to make Ophelia Tristano an optimist. The painful hole in her heart could not be damaged more than it was by Justin's death, so in a way he had succeeded.

"Justin would've loved catching up with everyone," she whispered.

Scott hesitated. "I don't think Justin would've needed to catch up. He would've kept in touch with everyone anyway."

She let out a small laugh. "He would've been so nosy. He was always the person to know what everyone was up to."

"Thought that was Ani," Scott joked.

Ophelia snorted. She then admitted, "I feel so bad, but I'm glad she didn't come."

"Don't feel bad. I did not like that girl."

"I didn't like her either." Smiling slightly, she closed her eyes. After a moment, she whispered, "But I liked you." She cuddled more into his arm. "I really liked you. I really, really liked you."

Scott sat silently for a moment with a smile on his face. He considered for a moment saying, 'I liked you more', or even 'I loved you more'. But she would try to argue against him. And she was having a good night, no point in starting an argument she was bound to lose.

Scott loved Ophelia.

Oh, how he loved Ophelia.

Oh, how he'd always, always love the girl.

He ended up giving a kind, neutral answer. "I really liked you too, you know."

Eyes closed, she smiled, still cuddled against his shoulder, sleepily speaking, "Yeah, I know."

The ten year old necklace she wore gleamed as it caught the beam of a passing streetlight.

*****

JT's birthday came soon after. Ophelia was overly excited for it.

"Happy birthday, baby." Ophelia kissed JT over and over and over.

"Mom, it's so early," he groaned, trying to pull the covers over his head.

"You were so early," she said. "Oh, you about gave me a heart attack with how early you came." She placed more kisses over his cheeks.

It was about seven in the morning on JT's birthday. Ophelia always started birthday celebrations early. Birthdays had never been that big of a deal in her home while growing up, at least hers hadn't, but she wanted JT and Sofia and Scott to know that she would never forget their special days. She was probably more excited than they were half the time. She got JT up, got him dressed, and got him situated at the table in his 'birthday seat'. Which was just a chair with balloons and streamers tied to it.

While Ophelia finished setting the table for breakfast, Honor came out of the guest room, brushing her hair.

"Looks good," her younger sister commented, taking a seat. "Happy birthday, JT."

The young boy mumbled a 'thank you' from his mouth full of food already.

After Honor, Zach came out of the living room, where he slept on the couch the night before. He shook JT's chair dramatically, telling him happy birthday as well.

Scott was also big on birthdays. He's the one that put balloons all over the house while JT was sleeping, so he'd wake up to it. Ophelia recalled when they first bought their house, and Scott had filled an entire room with balloons just for her.

He was always so kind to Ophelia. Always so loving. The kind of love that Ophelia never had to question whether or not it was real, not even after all these years.

Her husband entered the dining room a few minutes later with Sofia in his arms. He always held her at breakfast. He was so good ith the kids. She wouldn't have wanted another child yet if she hadn't known Scott would be such an amazing father. When JT was a toddler, Scott carried him around everywhere. The stroller stayed empty whenever they'd go uptown, or for walks.

Sometimes, Ophelia felt guilty, because it seemed that Scott had more parental instincts then Ophelia did. He was a better parent, she'd always felt that way. But it was hard knowing how a parent was supposed to show their love when her own hardly ever did.

Just thinking of her parents, Ophelia remembered aloud, "JT, your grandma and grandpa Tristano sent you a birthday card," she said. "Do you want to open it today, or wait for your party?"

"Today!" he insisted. "Now!"

Chuckling, she grabbed it from the fridge. The boy, with syrup still on his hands, grabbed the card before Ophelia could give him a napkin. Watching him open it, Ophelia wasn't impressed by how bland it was. It was a card for an adult, not a kid. It was black and gray, and boring. But luckily, JT didn't notice. He read aloud, "Happy birthday, Justin." They expected him to read more, but he didn't.

Scott asked, "That it?" He bent down, looking at the card. Ophelia saw the disappointment on her husband's face at the blankness of it. That's all Ophelia's parents bothered to write.

JT then held up another paper. A check. "Two hundred dollars!"

Ophlia grabbed it quickly, before he could get syrup on the check. "I'm gonna keep this in your folder." Whenever the kids were given money, she'd keep it in a file for them. She'd take them shopping on their days off, trying to help them learn to make the most of their money. Scott was less lenient with their spending, letting them blow twenty to thirty dollars on candy, while Ophelia preferred they saved up for things that would last longer. But they both agreed that if the item made the kids happy-whatever it was-meant the money was going to good use.

Ophelia wasn't too bothered by her mother's lack of interest in being a grandmother to JT. Scott's parents were crazy about him and Sofia. They were coming to spend four days down here, help throw the party, and take him all over the city to spoil him for his birthday.

Scott's parents were so kind and energetic. She always thought it was funny how they acted like the grandparents in movies and tv shows. Then, she realized most grandparents were that loving, it was just her family that wasn't. Not to her, anyway.

"Ten years old," Scott beamed at his son. "You know, I started playing baseball at ten."

"I started younger," Zach commented.

"I'm the one that got a baseball scholarship," Scott pointed out.

Zach scoffed, but laughed.

Estella, JT's godmother, arrived a little while after breakfast was being served. She brought party supplies, placing them in Ophelia's living room before greeting her nephew and saying, "Happy birthday, little man. Ten years old. Wow. The big double digit birthday. You're getting old, JT."

"Since I'm old, am I going to start going by Justin now?" JT asked.

Ophelia finally took her seat next to her child and husband. "Justin? Do you...want to go by Justin?"

"Everyone at school keeps asking me what JT stands for," her son pointed out. "Justin Tristano. But that doesn't even make sense because that's not even my name. I'm Justin Reed, not Tristano."

Ophelia wasn't sure what to say. But Scott picked it up.

"It'll always be your name," Scott put in. "Not legally, but you've got Tristano blood in you. That's what matters."

Her son's eyes shifted around. Another look that would remind her of Montgomery. Her mind was whirling, and Ophelia knew he was about to say something he thought they didn't want to hear.

"But I don't have any Reed blood in me," JT replied.

This caught them all off guard.

"I'm more De La Cruz, right?" he asked. "Like Tía?"

Estella hesitated. She also shot a look at the parents, like she wasn't sure if she was allowed to answer.

"Yeah..." Scott said, slowly. "She's your aunt, afterall."

Estella smiled, and leaned forward to rustle his hair. "It's where you get your beautiful face from. My side."

"Because I look like my real dad, right?" he asked.

This time, Scott stayed quiet, not knowing what to say.

"I hear you guys say it," JT informed them. "Mom says it. She told daddy that I have my real dad's smile."

Ophelia must have said it a few times, but she never realized he'd heard.

"You said I could learn about my real dad when I'm older," JT pointed out. "If I'm old now, can't I-"

"Never say that again," Ophelia suddenly bursted. Scott was surprised by her abrupt, loud answer. "Never-Never say that. Scott is your real dad. He's the one that's been there. He's the one that took care of you. He-He was the one who looked out for you and-and me. He took care of me more than Monty ever would have-" She shut her mouth, hating herself for having this outburst on her son's birthday. She didn't know where all this came from. She picked herself up, excusing herself from the table.

Ophelia hurried to her bedroom, shutting the door. She covered her face with her hands.

It had always been such a sore subject for her, even now. JT deserved to know about his biological father, she knew that. But she couldn't be the one to do it. Ten years had passed, and it still seemed too soon. Because even if she wanted to tell JT about the good side of Montgomery, how would she explain the rest? How would she keep him from asking questions that would lead to the eventual admittance of him not being a planned child?

The bedroom door creaked open. Scott stepped inside. "...Are you okay, O?"

She looked up at her husband. "I'm sorry," she breathed. "I-I don't want to ruin breakfast. I'll be out in a minute."

"Zach and Estella are keeping JT company. Honor took Sofia back to bed for now. I'll wait for you." He looked her over, and repeated. "Are you okay?"

"You don't deserve this," she whispered. "You're his real dad. He shouldn't have said that."

Scott sighed. He leaned against the doorframe, crossing his arms. "I'm not his real dad. We both know that."

"You've taken care of us more than Monty ever could have."

"But I'm not his real dad.'"

She didn't know how he could say it so easily. "Doesn't that hurt to say?"

"Of course it does, but I can't do anything about it." Scott told her, "I...wish I was his biological dad. But I'm not. And he knows about Monty. He knows he exists, he's seen photos. I think he deserves to know more about him."

"I can't tell him what happened," Ophelia said. "I-I-I talk about my assault at my clinic, but I can't tell JT. Not just because of me, but think of how it'd make him feel. He'd think he was a burden. He'd spend his life thinking I'd be happier if he didn't exist."

"He wouldn't think that," Scott insisted, with a hard frown. "No kid would ever think their mom would be happier without them."

There was a pause.

He saw the look in her eyes, and realized where she got the idea. Ophelia knew her own mother would be happier if Ophelia was never born. That's why the two women hadn't spoken in nearly seven years. Mrs. Tristano finally got to pretend her oldest daughter didn't exist.

"He loves you," her husband consoled. "He knows you love him. Nothing will change that.

"What if learning what Montgomery did...messes him up? What if he starts thinking he's destined to be kind of person?"

"Someone else doing a bad thing doesn't change who you are, or who he is," Scott told her. "Besides, Estella is the same blood. And she's one of the best role models he has."

Ophelia wiped her eyes.

"You don't have to tell him everything," Scott whispered. "At least not yet. One day, when he's much older, maybe he'd understand more. Once he's in high school. But for now...he just wants to know more about who Monty was, besides the fact that he looks like him, and that he existed."

Ophelia bit her lip. "I don't have anything to say."

Oh, how she hated Montgomery at times like these. She had once loved him more than life itself, but she was now left with guilt when becoming emotional for him. She could not think of a single fond memory that took place between them without having her stomach twist and turn when remembering what cruel things he was capable of.

"Tell him...about the first baseball game you went to."

She almost laughed. "The first baseball game? Why?"

"Because, that was the first time you were out and officially dating. I remember that you two had a lot of fun. That's what he wants to hear, you know? And...that's when I first talked to you too," Scott pointed out. "And...you were really happy that day."

"I think that was one of our only perfect days," Ophelia whispered.

"So it'd be perfect."

Ophelia looked at her husband. "But I don't want him to think Montgomery was always how he was that day. I don't want him to think we were good together. Because...I don't want him to take you for granted. You're always giving me perfect days, Scott."

"Perfect's easy with you." Slowly, he grabbed her hand. "Come on, everyone's sitting down still. Let's go join them."

"You're his dad," Ophelia tried to say again. "He doesn't understand. He doesn't know how lucky we are to have you."

"He has two perfect parents," Scott joked. "Those kind of kids never know how lucky they are."

Scott stood behind Ophelia, leading her down towards the table. There was light conversation, but it fell silent when Ophelia got there. She sat next to her son. JT knew he'd said something wrong.

Clearing his throat, Scott began, "I think I want to tell you a story about Montgomery. Your biological dad."

JT perked up. "Really?"

Estella's face softended.

Holding Ophelia's hand, Scott said, "It actually takes place in my sophmore year of high school, your mom's freshmen year. When Monty first saw your mom he, uh..." Scott laughed a bit. "He thought she was cute, so he threw a football at her."

JT risked a smile, looking at his mom. "Monty threw a football at you?"

Ophelia hestiaited. It felt so weird hearing JT say that name. "Yeah." She asked Scott, "How'd you know that? You weren't there."

Scott leaned back in his seat with a smile. "All the guys teased him for, like, a week for that. He had a fat crush on you and messed it up. Why wouldn't we give him a hard time?"

"I didn't know you teased him for it," she breathed. Ophelia paused, and then asked, "So...everyone knew he had a crush on me? Like, before we started dating? I kind of thought we surprised everyone."

"He was running laps for five football practices because he skipped almost an entire halftime meeting because he wanted to go stand with you, Ophelia Tristano, in the food truck line. Of course everyone knew."

This caught Ophelia off guard, and she suddenly felt flooded with past memires. She recalled that game. One of the first she watched him play in. He'd followed her to the food truck line because he thought she was mad at him, which she was. Montgomery and her had been texting before that game almost nonstop, and she thought he ghosted her, only for him to explain his family had limited text messages. It was her favorite football game, even though she barely payed attention to the playing. She'd only payed attention to him. It was so long ago, she never...she never knew he had to be teased and punished for having a crush on her. She wished she had at the time. She didn't think she was good enough to be dating him in the beginning. It would have been nice to know both of them felt just as lucky to have each other.

"Did you like him back?' JT suddenly spoke.

Ophelia looked at her son.

He repeated, "Did you like Montgomery back?"

"...Yeah. I really liked him."

JT then asked Scott, "You've always said he was your friend. Why were you friends?"

Scott answered, "We played a lot of things together. Football, baseball." Scott laughed. "Actually, we tried out for soccer too. They didn't want us."

Ophelia perked up. This was news to her. "When did you guys try out for that?" Montgomery loved watching soccer. She didn't know that he wanted to play it. Not at school anyway.

"Second half of junior year," he explained. "They thought Monty was too rough on the field. They told him to tone it down and try again. But he did end up making the team in his..." Scott stopped himself. His voice fell to a sadder tone. "Um, he made it senior year."

Ophelia blinked. She leaned forward. "What? He made the soccer team?"

"You didn't know that?" Estella asked her, seeming confused. Zach sat at the end of the table, silent.

Ophelia glanced at JT, then back to Scott. "No. I didn't."

"Well...you probably didn't know because he never played," Scott explained to her.

"He was super psyched to make the team," Estella explained. "I think that was the first time my dad was actually proud of him." She looked at JT, "Your grandfather on my side was the biggest soccer fan I've ever met."

JT said, "We don't watch soccer."

"We'll start," Estella smiled. "Us, together. We can even-"

"He was supposed to play at the end of senior year?" Ophelia whispered. She didn't mean to interrupt, but she still wasn't past this.

Soccer. He got on the soccer team. His father was proud of him.

...That was huge. A huge part of Montgomery's life, and she didn't know about it. She didn't know why, but she was struck with heartbreak. It was another realization that he was more than what he'd done.

"He never got to play. The school didn't even have his jersey made since the season hadn't started when, uh..." Scott trailed off. He cleared his throat and repeated, "That's why there was no socccer jersey put up on the memorial wall. He hadn't played."

"I...didn't even know he wanted to play soccer," Ophelia admitted.

Estella leaned towards JT. "You know, Montgomery was the smartest boy on his football team."

The young child's eyes widened. "Really? He got straight A's?"

"Not smart like that," Estella told him. "He was...street smart. Knew how to read people. Knew what move someone was going to make by watching where their eyes went on the field. He used to watch football with me at home and call out every play before it happened. It was amazing."

"I want to do that!" JT said.

"He was an awesome hitter for baseball," Scott threw in. "But the reason he was the best team mate was because he was so funny. Your dad would have me dying laughing everytime we hung out."

Opehlia winced when Scott called Montgoemry JT's dad.

JT turned to Zach, who had been completely quiet the entire conversaion. "Uncle Zach, what did you like about my real dad?"

Tension grew in the room. Zach was silent. So silent.

He hadn't said a word. And he didn't seem like he wanted to.

Zach's gaze was distant.

Then, abruptly, he pushed his chair out, and stood up. "I, um..." He ran a hand through his hair. "I'll be back...in a bit..." Then, without another word, Zach turned, opened the front door, and left.

A stretched silence.

JT stared after him. Then, facing the table, he asked, "Uncle Zach didn't like my dad?"

Scott hesitated. "No. Um...your dad wasn't always the best guy."

"Why? What did he do to make people hate him?"

"Um." Scott looked troubled. "He, um-"

"I can tell you a story about when I went to Uncle Zach's first baseball game," Ophelia suddenly offered. Scott looked relieved. "Montgomery was there, Dad was there, and Uncle Zach was there."

"Really? All of you?"

Ophelia nodded. She glanced at Scott. "It was kind of a perfect day."

*****

Ophelia smiled in the mirror. She brushed her hair, and pulled it into a high ponytail. She put on some earrings, and a necklace. She smiled in the mirror again, admiring her dress. She looked pretty. So pretty she blew herself a kiss in the mirror.

Her phone buzzed, and she checked it immediately.

M⚾️: Just got to the gas station. See you soon?

She quickly sent back, 'Yes!!!'

She smiled again, and grabbed her purse. She hurried downstairs. "Mom! I'm gonna go head to the school for Zach's baseball game!"

"Alone?" he mother called from the living room. "No. You're not going to walk. Just stay here."

"I'm not going to be alone. I'm going to Zach's house, he's gonna walk with me," Ophelia tried to say.

Her mother pondered this. "Send me a photo of you and Zach once you get to the field."

"Will do!" She didn't smile until she got outside, then she grinned excitedly. Her mom actually went for it. Ophelia picked up speed, practically jogging all the way to the gas station by her house. That's where she was meeting up with her boyfriend.

She was expecting to see Montgomery outside waiting for it, but he wasn't there. She went in, and immediately noticed the handsome boy in one of the food aisles. He wore his baseball uniform, and look oh so cute in his jersey and baseball hat. Her grin came back. "Monty!"

He turned, smiling even wider than her. "Hey, O." He admired her, and swooned for her.

Again, she practically skipped up to her. "Oh, I'm so excited! I can't wait to watch you play." She hugged him, and he practically melted in her arms.

"Get used to it. You'll be watching me all the time when I go professional."

She giggled.

He held up a small stuffed teddybear he'd grabbed off a shelf. "Want this? I was looking for something for you, didn't know what you'd like.

She bit her lip, but her grin kept showing through. She nodded, fast. "I'd like it." It was bright pink, with hearts. It was adorable, which is why he thought of her when he saw it.

He sent her another grin. "Perfect."

Montgomery bought it for her for a couple bucks, and she held it delicately in her hand as they walked the rest of the way to the school. Her other hand was in his. She squeezed his hand tighter than she meant to, she was just so excited to be with him. He didn't mind, he liked her hold.

This was their first outing as an official couple. They'd be seen together at the school game as a couple for the first time as well.

"Send me a picture of you with the bear," Montgomery said. Then, he shyly brought up. "Actually...is it okay if you take a few pictures to send me?" He quickly added, "Not dirty ones."

She didn't even think that's what he meant.

He explained, "I want pictures of you. Just so I can, you know, have some. But I only have enough memory for, like, three apps on my phone. If you text them to me I can, you know, keep them forever."

She blushed. "Yeah. Of course I will. Let's take one right now."

They both stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. She held the bear between them, and had the brightest smile she ever had on. He also had a grin way bigger than any 'tough guy' would ever admit to having while posing with a teenage girl and her teddy bear. She snapped a photo, and sent it to him.

"What's that?" he asked, glancing down at her screen.

"What?"

"Why is my contact just M? Look, yours is nice in mine."

She looked over. His contact for her was 'O🌸💮'

"Delete that second flower," she told him. Then, she shrugged. "Just in case my mom sees me texting you. So she doesn't know you're a boy."

"No, no, no," he said. "You'll just have to hide it better. Let me see."

"Monty," she whined. But she didn't really mind.

He messed with her phone, and handed it back. His new contact name was 'Monty⚾️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️'

"Thats way too long," she laughed. "And it's so dramatic."

"Well, that's how you should feel when you see my name pop up."

She giggled.

"Oh, forgot one," he said. He took it back and added a '🏈' emoji.

"My mom's gonna kill me if she sees that," she said. "She'll think I'm in love or soemthing."

"Hm," Montgomery mumbled. They both glanced at each other. They were silent. But their grins gave off loud emotion. She eventually burst out in laughter, and looked away.

"Hide that bear in your bag," he mumbled as they neared the school. She laughed again.

They got to the baseball field, and heard loud whistling.

"Well, look at that!" It was Bryce Walker. Him and a few other boys stood around the homeplate. "Monty showing up late, what a shock! Get your ass over here, we're warming up!"

Justin Foley hit Bryce on the arm, laughing, "You pick someone up off the corner, Monty?"

Justin was on the baseball team the start of his freshmen year. He was kicked off half way through the season after failing a drug test. He never went back to the sport after that.

Jeff Atkins looked at the two. Scott Reed, who was playing catch with him, snorted. "He ain't got enough money to pick anyone off the corner."

Zach's face grew red when he saw the two. Montgomery stepped onto the dirt with his teammates, and Ophelia sat smiling on the bleachers nearby.

"Who's that?" Scott continued, hitting his arm as he neared.

"My girlfriend," Montgomery said, casually.

"What?" Zach's head snapped to Ophelia. "O, what the hell did he call you?"

"Mind you business!" Ophelia told him.

"You bring her here to throw a baseball at her this time?" Bryce joked.

Justin snorted. "Oh yeah, she'd the one you threw the football at."

Montgomery smiled, waving his friends off. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

"Her mom's gonna beat her ass," Zach said, stressed. "She's not allowed to date."

"Oh, well," Montgomery said, not caring.

"What's her name again?" Scott asked.

"Ophelia."

"Ophelia," Bryce drawled. Justin also stretched out the name, "Ophelia." Scott said, "O-phe-li-a." Jeff even added his own, "Like Hamlet." To which Justin replied, "Shut up, nerd."

"Keep the name out your mouth," Montgomery tsked, shrugging off the teasing. "You guys got no business with her."

"Really?" the boys asked.

"Ophelia!" Scott called. "Whatchu doing with Monty's ugly ass?!"

Montgomery shoved his friend. Ophelia turned red, and didn't seem to know what to say.

"Oh!" Scott said, looking closer. "I get it! Look, she's not wearing glasses!"

"Oh, she's not wearing glasses," Justin understood. "Oh. That makes sense. She can't see right."

"Way more sense," Bryce agreed. "She's obviously blind."

Ophelia bit her lip. The bleachers weren't far. She could hear everything they were saying. "I can see fine!" she was bold enough to call out.

"Ohhh!" the boys teased.

Zach shook his head, silently.

"Yo, he paying you?" Justin asked, jogging over to the fence between the field and the bleachers. They looked right at her. Justin gave her that bright smile, the kind of smile that caused trouble when pretty boys made it.

"He's gotta be," Jeff said.

"Monty's broke," Scott teased.

"Nah, he's giving her something," Justin laughed. "You're too pretty for him. Right? He give you a bride? Anything?"

Ophelia was so red, so embarrassed, but so joyful in that moment. She bit her lip. "...He gave me something."

Bryce started to say, "An ST-" Jeff elbowed him.

Ophelia grabbed her purse.

"Aye!" Montgomery called, humored. "Nah, they don't have to see that!"

"Well now we have to," Justin confirmed. Scott snorted.

Ophelia made eye contact with Montgomery. He bit his lip, shaking his head. But she could tell he was laughing. So was she as she pulled out the teddy bear.

As soon as the boys set eyes on the stuffed animal, they immediately turned to their friend, and the teasing began swiftly and brutally. Jeff threw a ball at him, while Justin threw his whole glove. Montgomery took off across the field, and the other boys followed, making fun of him, eventually tackling him at some point, teasing and teasing and teasing.

Zach stayed by the mound, and looked at Ophelia. He shook his head, but finally let out a laugh of his own. It didn't matter that Ophelia forgot to send her mother a photo of her and Zach, and that later that day her mother accused her of lying, went through her phone, and found all the pictures of her and Montgomery. Ophelia was grounded, but she didn't care. Now, her and Montgomery were official with everyone. And she was glad.

*****

"He sounded so nice," JT said. "And he was funny. Do you think he would've liked me?"

Ophelia felt her eyes stinging. She touched her son's shoulder. "JT he loved you before you were even born."

"...How come you didn't name me after him?" he asked. "You named me Justin."

"He wanted the name Enrique," she explained. "A long, long time ago."

"But why Justin?" JT said, "I know you said he was your best friend, and that he helped take care of me, and he was my godfather before Uncle Zach, but why'd you name me after him?"

Ophelia said, "Because...it was Justin. And it's hard to explain who he was. But...hard in a good way. Because there's no real way to explain how much he was there for me."

"More than dad?" he asked, now speaking of Scott.

Ophelia laughed. "Not exactly."

"He was," Scott clarified. "He was there for you more than me. At the time."

Ophelia bit her lip. "He was there for everyone." She said to JT, "He would've done anything for you."

"And he got sick, right?" JT asked. "Really sick? You've always said he was sick in the hospital, that's where the photo you show me is from, but it must have been really bad, right?"

Ophelia never specified Justin dying of AIDS. That was another thing she wanted to wait on. Justin made it clear he wanted her to use his death as a warning to never try drugs, but she didn't want to bring any of that up until he was in high school. Everything in her life was such a dark topic, she didn't want to burden her bright, youthful son with it yet.

And there was guilt.

Horrifying guilt that came with talking about Justin.

Because Ophelia thought of him everyday. Everyday. Every single day. Justin Foley. Her Justin Foley.

The guilt came because she didn't think of anyone she lost as much as she thought of Justin. She didn't think of Hannah as much, or Montgomery as much. No. No one matched the amount she thought of Justin. Which felt so cruel, because she'd been closest to him for such a short amount of time. But she loved him. And she had planned to love him forever.

And that's why her mouth stayed shut about him when she knew it shouldn't. Because talking about Justin just reinforced the idea that he'd only be her Justin, no one else's. No one else had the chance to have him around anymore.

She should talk about him more with JT. That's all Justin ever wanted. She was letting him down by not sharing more. But JT knew Justin Foley was idolized. Scott spoke of him a lot more than her.

But it was hard. Because how could she explain the feeling of losing him? She couldn't. There were no words in any human language to fully capture what he meant to her.

She'd been traumatized by her loss. It took a long time to get over it.

Every time Scott was a few minutes late getting home, she'd panic. For their first few years alone in their house, she'd call the police panicked a little too often, ending up on a list of non emergency callers. But she always thought it was an emergency. She always thought Scott would just die one day, like everyone else did.

After Sofia was born, she got terrible anxiety. JT wasn't a crier, but Sofia was. She'd think her baby was dying because she wasn't used to a normal crying baby. She'd lose sleep, and it'd make her more paranoid. It took years for her to stop being so scared of something bad happening.

Trauma was rough.

"It was bad," she whispered. "But he talked about you a lot. He wanted photos of you every time I saw him. New photos. He wanted...so much of you. God, he loved you so much."

Oh, he'd loved him.

Oh, God Justin had loved him.

"Was my real dad sick? Is that how he died?"

"We shouldn't talk about that," Ophelia whispered.

"He died in prison, was it from an illness?"

Ophelia stiffened. She wasn't aware JT knew his biological father was in prison and all. "Who told you that?"

Estella hesitated. "I did. I'm sorry. It was a long time ago, I didn't realize you hadn't told him."

"She didn't even tell me why he was in prison," JT said. "What did he do?"

Scott saw Ophelia becoming overwhelmed. But both of them knew this was bound to come to light. He was ten years old now. Saying, 'your biological father died before you were born' and 'there were problems between us, we weren't together in the end' wouldn't cut it anymore.

Ophelia had ten years to prepare what she would say to him. Why didn't she have more ready?

Why hadn't she even mentioned prison?

Because he'd ask why he was there, what he did, if he was a mean person, if he was mean to Ophelia.

And Montgomery was very, very mean to Ophelia. He was evil to Ophelia. But the main problem was that JT didn't know evil existed yet. Not real evil. Just evil in the form of supervillians from his favorite movies.

"Because he broke the law," Scott answered, giving the most cautious answer he could.

"But what law?" JT asked.

Ophelia swallowed, "He would always...get in trouble. He did a lot of things. He, um..." What could she even say? "He-"

"He, what?"

She was overwhelmed, and felt backed into a corner. "He-"

Relief hit her as she was cut off, and spared from trying to think of a way to finish her sentence. The front door reopened. Zach stood in the doorway. In his hand, was notecards. He kept him close as he sat back onto the table. There was a silent pause before he said, "I'm sorry. I just...remembered I had to get something."

"During breakfast?" Scott asked, not trying to hide his objective tone. He was clearly angry at Zach for just taking off.

"You wanted to know about your dad," Zach said. "I...wrote something about him." He held the notecards still.

"You wrote something just now?" Estella asked, skeptical.

"No...it was a long time ago." He glanced at Ophelia. "A long, long time ago."

There was a short silence before JT asked, "Can I hear it?"

"Yeah," Zach breathed. "Of course." He looked again at Ophelia, like he was waiting for her approval. Slowly, she nodded. She was curious about what this was about. Zach took another deep breath.

Scott reached under the table, and found Ophelia's hand.

Zach began, "...Montgomery De La Cruz was a teammate that everyone wanted to know on and off the field."

Emotion hit her, fast. Because she recognized the words instantly. The words had been burned into her brain the same way the entire day had been when she first heard them.

Zach continued, "He was the kind of guy that would be the center of attention without realizing. He was the kind of guy who had his friend's back, no matter  what."

Scott didn't recognize it. Then again, he only heard it once. And he only heard the first sentence. Ophelia hadn't heard the full thing aloud, but she read it all. And at the time she read it, it had made her cry.

"He had mine," Zach continued, "Countless times during our sport's seasons. He once stayed an hour after practice with me freshmen year to help me with my swing. At the end of the day, if you needed help, he'd be there."

What Zach was reading was Montgomery's euglogy. It was the one he had written for Montgomery's funeral.

But it was a speech he never read out loud, because he ended up walking out of the funeral barely two sentences in. Zach thought saying this speech was too kind when Montgomery died. He had hated him, and part of Zach was always going to hate him.

But what Zach realized now was that this speech he wrote was not a speech for Montgomery's funeral. It was for Montgomery's son.

And, suddenly, Zach was glad that a weak part of his soul stashed this speech in a corner of his glovebox, untouched for years. Montgomery started as Zach's friend, and then became an enemy. But...he was the best kind of friend one could have, for a while.

Zach wished Montgomery hadn't changed into the man he died as.

Zach had to clear his throat. "I wish Monty was as comfortable asking for help as he was at giving it. I  wish that he wasn't ashamed to need it in the first place."

Ophelia shut her eyes tightly. Emotion hit her again, and she tried hardest not to cry in front of her son.

It was Mr. De La Cruz's anger that was passed onto Montgomery. An anger that the younger boy was too stubborn for any real help to fix. Sometimes, Ophelia wondered if JT was born with that angered. Would he end up being violent like his biological father?

No. Scott told her countless times that he wouldn't. The anger was learned, not bred. Montgomery didn't want to feel the anger, it was forced on him. All his life, Montgomery only knew pain from his family. And that was one thing JT's parents would never show him.

Zach continued, "At the end of  the day, Monty was a man who wanted to be better, but didn't believe he  could be. I wish I could have helped him like he helped me."

Sometimes, Ophelia felt like the real Montgomery only last until fifteen. He must have died somewhere between freshmen and sophmore year. She wasn't sure what exactly killed him. It might have been his sexist friends, or his violent father. But mostly, Ophelia thought that insecuritites killed him. If only he loved himself the way she had loved him.

"In the end, I didn't know Montgomery the way I used to. He became just another teammate to me, only an acquaintance. But I missed who he was when he was my friend."

Estella sniffed, loudly, and wiped her eyes.

Zach finished, "For the rest of my life, I'll always miss my friend." He set the notecard down, and looked at JT. "I know why you want to get to know your biological father, JT. I wanted to know him too." Zach leaned back. "Montgomery would've loved to see how you turned out."

Ophelia stared at Zach, boundless appreciation in her eyes. His speech said exactly what she wanted to say, leaving out everything she didn't.

"There's a football game next Saturday at Liberty High," Zach explained. "Maybe your parents can bring you. And...I can show you your dad's jersey up on the wall."

"And Justin's?"

Zach winced, but nodded. "And Justin's. Your godfather." Zach looked at Ophelia. "If you have fun with me, JT...man, you have no idea how fun things would be if Justy were still around."

"Can I have another story of him too?" JT asked. "Of Justin?"

Ophelia's heart burst with emotion.

"I have one," Estella volunteered, leaning in towards het nephew. "I'll tell you how he asked me to prom."

"Prom? You went out with Justin! I'm telling Uncle Diego!"

"Shh, shh, listen without tattletaling," she laughed.

Estella started with her story, and Scott listened carefully to throw in some details about Justin here and there.

Ten years had been a long time. But...life was longer. She'd made a mistake not being more open about the people she'd lost, but she'd correct it with stories of their past loved ones from now on.

Ophelia looked over at Zach. His eyes were glossed over, but so were hers. Slowly, she reached over, and squeezed his hand. "Thank you," she mouthed.

He gave a tight lipped smile.

They all looked so sad for a while. But they were smiling, and laughing, and reminiscing.

They were happy.

They were all happy.

The End.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.4K 1.7K 51
Y/n L/n was a normal girl living a normal life. She's got a group of amazing friends including Justin Foley, Jessica Davis, and Alex Standall. She's...
52.4K 1.4K 46
'The pain of truth is much better than the bliss of illusion.' || Book 2 in the Bailey Matthews Series || || 13 Reasons Why || || Season 3 - 4 || ||...
10.9K 80 11
"You, Dixie Lavender Miller, my friendly neighbour, my monets buddy, my best friend, my torturer, are evil. You are the main reason I'm ending it ton...
449K 10.7K 57
she was her other half - literally how does hannah baker's twin sister deal with her death? more importantly - how does she deal with the tapes her s...