The Herd's Growing Family (Ic...

By InvaderTrollFalls

Redwood is a small human child who has been surviving on her own for months. While she had the aid of Avery... More

A/N: Information/Character Bio
Lost... and Found
Fighting for Food
Stopping for a Rest
The Traveling Continues
Exploring the Cave
Volcano Trouble
The Truth & First Steps
The Ambush
Reunited & Redwood's Choice
A/N: Coming Up Next...
The Ice is Melting
2 Possums and a Mammoth
Sea Monsters + Bravery = Stupid?
Ellie's Past
Shifting Plates
♫ Food, Glorious Food ♫
The Flood
Possum Enough for This Family
A/N: My Favorite Movie is Next!
Expecting a Baby
The Eggs
Playground Problems
Finding Sid
Meeting Buck
The Jungle of Misery
The Chasm of Death
Buck's Backstory
Late Night Worries
The Plates of Woe
Fight & Flight Response
Rudy
Back Home & Avery's Choice
A/N: I Love the 4th & 5th Sequels
Family Members New & Old
Drifting Apart
Lost at Sea
Pirates?!
The Island

Going Their Separate Ways

1K 25 3
By InvaderTrollFalls

Later, the group is walking up a hill, and Sid continues singing the vultures' song.

Sid: ♫ Food, glorious food~ ♫

"Sid!" Everyone interrupts him.

"What? It's catchy".

"Hey guys, look!" Redwood, who was ahead of them, pointed towards something.

As the others made it to the top of the hill, they looked to see that Redwood was pointing to a giant tree bark on top of a rocky fountain in the distance.

"We made it". Diego said, relieved.

"Yeah, we showed those scary vultures!", Sid cheered.

Everyone else started cheering happily at the fact that they'll all soon be safe.

Manny and Ellie, who were both laughing, leaned against each other and then pulls back, feeling awkward.

Then the distant sound of the dam breaking more makes them look worried as they know that they don't have much time left. Ellie started to move forward but then something burst up in front of her, making her scream and back up.

Crash and Eddie also freak out and ran to hide behind Ellie for protection. Everyone looks at the geysers bursting between them and the boat.

"That must be the geyser fields that the vulture told us about". Redwood says, remembering the warning from a few days ago.

"We'd better watch our step when we go through that", Avery tells the herd.

"Oh, it's just a little hot water and steam. How bad can it be?" Sid says.

A dodo then walks by and gets flung into the air by a geyser, and when it falls back down, it turns into a roasted chicken.

Sid then regrets what he said. "I just did something involuntary and messy".

"OK, come on". Manny disregards the danger and moves forward but a geyser burst up in front of him and he quickly steps back.

"Manny, get back! It's a minefield out there!" Diego calls out to him.

"There's only one way to go! Straight through!" Manny responds.

"What?!" Redwood exclaims in fear.

"Straight through?! We'd like to keep the fur on our bodies, thank you. We'll go back, then we'll go around. That's safer". Ellie suggests.

"No, no!" Manny disagrees. "There's no time, the dam will burst before we make it. We'll drown!"

"If we go through this, we get blown to bits!"

"We go forward!"

"We go back!"

"Forward!"

"Back!"

"Forward!"

"Back!"

Diego interrupts the two mammoths. "Can I say something?"

"NO!" They both yell at him.

Manny then turns back to Ellie. "You are so stubborn and hard-headed!"

"Well, I guess that proves it! I am a mammoth! Come on!" She picks up Crash and Eddie with her trunk and puts them on her back as she leaves the others behind.

"Fine!" Manny walks on into the geyser field, and Sid, Diego, Avery, and Redwood follow him shortly after.

"I don't know. Drowning sounds like a much gentler way to go. To be blown to bits sounds so sudden". Sid worries.

"I think I would still prefer a sudden death than a slow one", Avery comments.

A small geyser erupts beside them and jump-scares Sid. He glares at it before continuing. Meanwhile, Manny carries on while ignoring the geysers erupting all around him.

"Oh, he's gonna get himself killed. Manny, wait! Manny!" Sid calls out to the mammoth.

"Slow down!" Redwood also shouts as she tries to avoid the geysers.

Manny ignored them and carries on. Then steam rose from one part of the ground and as Manny got nearer, the geyser erupted, throwing Manny off his feet and knocking him unconscious. The steam vanished and Manny regains consciousness. He looks around but his hearing is being shortened out from the blast and all he can hear is the geysers booming. Then various voices start to pop up through his head as the rest of the herd run towards him.

'Kids, look! The last mammoth!'

'I just heard you're going extinct!'

'Bravery is just dumb'.

'You can't be two things!'

'She thinks you're a jerk and to go away!'

'Then where's your big happy family?'

'What if I am the last mammoth?'

'What's wrong with you?!'

Manny looks worried as the last line echoes in his head. His hearing then goes back to normal so he can now hear Diego try to speak to him.

"Manny! Come on! We've gotta go! Now!"

Manny snaps out of his trance and saw the geysers beginning to burst up. He gets up and runs off with the others, panicking and trying not to get blasted by the geysers. They kept on running, meanwhile, the dam continued to break even more.

Eventually, Manny, Sid, Diego, Avery, and Redwood finally make it to the boat, all of them feeling exhausted. They look to see lots of animals making their way to the boat with two vultures flying above them.

"Do not leave your children unattended. All unattended children will be eaten". One of the vultures announces, which makes Redwood tense up a bit.

The herd then went into the crowd, looking for Ellie, Crash, and Eddie.

"Have you seen a mammoth?" Manny begins asking around.

"No, sorry".

"Have you seen a mammoth?"

"No, I haven't".

Diego then asks a female ant eater about Crash and Eddie. "Possum? About 11 foot tall?"

"Uh-uh". It responds.

"Have you seen two possums and a mammoth?" Redwood asks another animal.

"Yeah, two of them are idiots and one is actually nice". Avery adds, only to get a 'no' as an answer.

Manny then taps a male Glyptodon on his back. "Hey, buddy. Have you seen a mammoth?"

"Yeah. As big as life". It answers.

"Where?"

"I'm looking at him".

"Not me!" Manny clarifies before walking off.

"Poor guy. Doesn't know he's a mammoth". The male Glyptodon comments.

Just then, everyone hears a rumbling noise echoing around them, making them gasp and stop to listen with dread. The dam is nearly ready to burst and the cracks on it begin breaking one by one. Suddenly, the dam finally bursts completely and the water started flooding the valley.

Back with the herd, they're still unable to find their friends.

"I don't see them anywhere!" Manny tells the group.

"Maybe they're already onboard!" Diego says.

Rocky sculptures and part of the path then start to fall apart and crumble down, making the animals scream and run toward the boat.

"All right, this way! Come on, get moving!" Avery tells everyone.

*Meanwhile*

Ellie, Crash and Eddie run through a rocky cavern and see the boat in the distance as rocks start falling.

"There it is!" Ellie says.

"Ellie!" Crash dodges some falling rocks. "Woah! Woah!"

Ellie then looks up and gasp as she sees a giant rock falling right towards them from above. Thankfully, the rock wedges on the two walls, saving their lives. They look back to see more rocks blocking the way they came in.

"Come on! Run, run!" Ellie shouts.

They hurry towards the way out but as they got closer, another rock falls in front of it, trapping them. They try to push it out of the way, but it was no use. It wouldn't budge.

Ellie later notices a small patch of light getting in through a tiny gap in the rocks. It was small enough for her brothers to go through.

"You guys have gotta go!" She tells them.

"We're not leaving you!" Crash says.

Ellie picks up the two with her trunk. "I'm not asking". Ellie pushes Crash and Eddie through the hole with her trunk and they fall onto the ground outside.

"Ellie! Don't worry! We'll go for help!" Eddie calls out to her.

"Stay here!" Crash adds.

"Duh". Ellie says. She really didn't have a choice at that moment.

Crash and Eddie run off to get help. As the water is getting higher, it carries Cretaceous and Maelstrom with it who both swim through it with glee.

Later, Crash and Eddie run through the crowd of frightened animals who are running toward the boat.

"Help us!" Eddie yells as Crash does the same.

"Help!"

"Somebody help!"

Crash spots Manny in the crowd and points to him. "Manny!"

The possums run towards Manny and the rest of the group, avoiding getting stepped on. Once they reach them, they jump onto his tusks.

"It's Ellie! She's trapped in a cave!" Crash tells the group.

The news shocks Manny and he immediately heads to save her. Diego, Sid, and Avery follow him shortly but stop as they realize Redwood is coming too.

"No no no! You need to head to the boat now!" Avery tells the child.

"She's right. The flood is coming and you can get hurt!" Sid agrees.

"What? No! Ellie's in trouble and Manny might need all of us!" Redwood argues back. "Besides, remember what the vulture said about 'unattended children'?"

"But--", Avery gets cut off by the human.

"I still want to help! Please!"

She, Sid, and Diego all sigh knowing that she'll probably come along with them regardless. They allow it and Redwood runs ahead of them to catch up with Manny.

"She's becoming as stubborn a mule", Avery comments.

"Don't you mean as stubborn as a mammoth?" Sid corrects her.

"Heh, I wonder who she got that from". Diego smirks, already knowing the answer to that.

The herd then hurries off to rescue Ellie. Hoping they may not be too late.

END CHAPTER
_______________________________________
A/N: Looks like all this time around Manny is rubbing off on Redwood. The same goes for the time she's around Diego, Avery, and Sid. On a side note, I also get my stubbornness from my mom... and my determination.

Anyway, please comment and tell me what you think of the chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 32 6
the same ice age ff from my previous acc
35.1K 484 16
Life for the herd has been good. They live within a valley thats been surrounded in a wall, almost like a bowl and live in peace with other mammals...
67.8K 1.2K 11
A little cub was found within the snow shivering from the cold and with fear, a mammoth picked up the cub and decided to protect her and stay with he...
6.4K 138 9
You are a Saber and Diego's sister, but you two haven't seen eachother in a long time, so you two don't recognize eachother in the beginning. But wha...