Love Story || On Hold

By dedicated_maraudee

In which an old friend of the Bridgerton family returns to London for the debutante season, and shocks them i... More

Love Story
1 - Danbury Ball
3 - Opera House
4 - Bridgerton Dinner
5 - Vauxhall Ball
6 - Promenading
7 - Mother Dearest
8 - Business

2 - Callers

804 31 0
By dedicated_maraudee

{CHAPTER TWO}
"Cordelia!"

The next morning, although all Cordelia wanted to do was sleep, Edith sent the maids in exceedingly early to wake up the poor girl. She was forced straight into a warm bath where her maid, Ellis dealt with the girls unruly morning hair.

Cordelia was squeezed into a corset and thrown into a simple pink gown that had sewn flowers at the top of the dress. Ellis fastened Cordelia shoes around her ankles, something the girl always hated believing she could easily do it herself. She could don her own slippers.

"Thank you Ellis." Cordelia sincerely spoke, smiling at the woman and gently grasping her hand. Ellis smiled back and silently nodded before tidying up the items she used on Cordelia before leaving.

A Lady is always close to their personal maid or hand. However, Ellis and Cordelia had a closer relationship than that. In some way it was like a mother-daughter relationship. Ellis started working for the family when Cordelia was born, and Ellis helped look after baby Cordelia.

Ellis had helped Cordelia with practically everything growing up. When Cordelia's parents had no time for her, Ellis would always make sure to entertain the girl. It's where Cordelia's love of reading came from as the pair regularly used reading as a pastime.

Cordelia let out a deep groan as she thought about what her day would be filled with. Chatting to potential suitors. She had no idea which, if any, males would be coming round to her house. After all, she wasn't the most friendly or sociable at the ball. Luckily for Edith, the family name and Cordelia's name held enough regard for men to still be interested after her poor show.

To make it worse, Cordelia had a dreadful sleep. Her mind was preoccupied with Anthony Bridgerton, more so their tiff. He had never spoken to her in an angry way before. But Cordelia knew it was her fault -she should have never left.

Cordelia wished more than anything that she stayed put.

The Moore has was chaotic with the cooks busy producing many different types of biscuits and teas for the gentlemen callers. The list of goodies supplied went on and on. And all thesis's were cleansing to perfection.

Cordelia sat awkwardly next to her mother on one of the firm couches in their drawing room. Edith had not yet made eye contact with her daughter since she entered the room and it didn't seem she had any interest in doing so. Edith was the type of mother who picked favourite children and loved to compare them. She had done so since Cordelia was a baby.

"When Florence was a debutante, I am sure the callers arrived earlier than this." Edith remarked as she eyed the currently empty room in distaste.

"Indeed." Cordelia hummed, trying to hide her annoyance. She failed as she automatic slouched at the mention of her elder sister, who was the golden child. "Mama there is still plenty of time." She noted aloud, glancing at the wall clock, in an attempt to minimise her mamas annoying comments.

Edith rolled her eyes at her daughter, always at odds with the girl. "Cordelia, if the suitors do not call in the morning, then they are calling and presenting themselves to other woman." She explained, still staring at the door.

Cordelia held in her sigh, knowing it would only get her into further trouble. "I tried my best mama. I truly did." Cordelia vulnerably shared, surprisingly trying to seek some form of reassurance.

But of course she didn't receive what she yearned for.

"Then your best is not enough." Edith replied bluntly, her words cutting Cordelia deeply once again. It was comments like that, that effected Cordelia's confidence as a child. Overtime she learned to let those comments fall on deaf ears. But after recent events, Cordelia's confidence and self assurance was knocked more than ever.

Cordelia dropped her head, her eyes falling to the floor. Even though it was just the start of the day, her mothers comments were already getting to her. The girl figured it would actually be for the best if fewer gentlemen called for her. Saving her from having to spends days entertaining the men.

The doorman's feet hit of the ground, echoing in the hall and causing Edith to grow with excitement. The mother grew alert, delicately touching her hair and forcing a bright smile on her face.

"A caller?"

The doorman nodded his head. "Yes ma'am. Lord Bennet." He introduced formally and following a man walked into the room, his head held high, and a large wrapped parcel held in his hands.

"Miss Moore, Lady Moore." The man greeted, walking into the room as both Edith and Cordelia rose to extend pleasantries.

Edith shot her daughter a look of warning before moving to the the couch opposite where Cordelia and Lord Bennet were to sit.

Cordelia's eyebrows creased as a result of the harshness of her mothers glare. She quickly relaxed her face and forced a friendly smile towards the Lord.

"Can I offer you anything?" Cordelia asked politely, moving towards the table that help the array of treats.

Edith grunted, overanalysing what her daughter said and finding the girls wording to be too vague and suggestive.

"My Lord, could I offer you any biscuits or tea?" Cordelia rephrased her cheeks tinting pink in slight embarrassment.

The two of them sat down on the couch, a small gap between the two of them. Cordelia made sure she was sitting with correct posture, with her hands laced in a basket resting in her lap, and her eyes trained on the gentleman in front of her.

"My Lord, what are you looking for in marriage?" Cordelia asked, getting straight to the point rather than wittering around it.

"Cordelia!" Edith chastised strictly at a hiss.

Yeah it was going to be a long week.

Dearest reader. This author finds
herself compelled to share the most curious of news.
It seems the purported diamond of
1813 requires a closer inspection...

For this precious stone appears
to possess a rather glaring imperfection.

And an even rarer jewel -- of
only the most remarkable brilliance, fire and luster -- has been unearthed.
Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known
to all, is Miss Marina Thompson...
However does this new jewel exceed the likes of Miss Cordelia Moore who had been seen with many high status suitors calling on her.

This author is left to wonder
whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton...

For we all must know what the
Queen despises more than anything:
being wrong.

And the drawing room at Bridgerton
House currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George.

Of course, it follows that Lady
Featherington is to receive what she has always desired. The season's true Incomparable, living under her own roof. She must be overjoyed.

There had been more suitors than Cordelia could have ever imagined. She let out a relived sigh and sprawled herself over the couch after seeing the door close behind a gentleman.

She let her head drop down the arm of the couch, and released a heavy sigh. From the corner of her eyes she could see the large stack of presents brought by the callers. Her mother had already sieved through the pile and noted the cost of each item. For her mother believed the value of present was a key factor for deciding a husband.

Cordelia was completely and utterly fed up with talking to men she had no interest in. She feared the lack of of reading she was doing was going to negatively impact her brain. Cordelia missed having an insightful conversation with someone that shared the same level of intellect.

She needed Eloise.

Eloise was Cordelia's rock. The two of them had spent endless hours reading and debating topics together. They truly got each other.

Eloise was the only one that was incredibly supportive of Cordelia and her decision to leave. Eloise could see how badly Cordelia was impacted by her fathers death and only strived to help the grieving girl.

Cordelia pulled herself up and off the couch,
Bunching her pale silver/grey dress in her hands to avoid stepping on it. Edith watched as her daughter started to make her way out of the room without uttering a word.

"Cordelia?" Edith called out, getting slowly up herself and following after her daughter.

"Just going to the Bridgerton's." She replied in a shout, not stopping to spare her mother a glance.

Cordelia didn't bother with a carriage, living close enough to walk to their house. She also enjoyed walking in the fresh air alone, key word alone.

As Cordelia got to the bottom of the path to her house she looked over her shoulder, getting a view of her furious mother in the window. She contained a chuckle at the sight and turned away.

Before Cordelia could even get out the family property and past the gates she came face to face with a man from the Danbury ball. Cordelia's hand ended up rested against the mans chest as she spun around directly into him.

Cordelia jumped back, a startled and apologetic look on her face. "I must apologise Lord Griffiths. I did not intend to... touch you." She apologised looking awkwardly past his shoulder, her hand that touched him still lingering in the air.

"You mustn't apologise, Miss Moore, it was my fault." He excused, smiling down kindly at her. "I was coming to call on you, but I see you are to be elsewhere." He explained his presence, gesturing to the bouquet of flowers in his hands.

Cordelia smiled up at him and hesitantly took the bouquet of bleeding-heart flowers. "They are beyond gorgeous my Lord." She chimed, lowering her nose to smell the flowers. Cordelia looked up from the flowers and beamed at the very good looking man in front of her. "Would you care to join me on my walk to the Bridgerton's?" She asked on impulse before she could change her mind.

Griffiths agreed, offering his arm towards Cordelia. "We are in need of a chaperone." He stated.

"Not to worry Miss Moore." Ellis exclaimed, pulling on her coat and joining the couple. "I'll act as chaperone."

Cordelia sent the woman a grateful smile. "Thank you Ellis."

The pair of them chatted away as they walked, Ellis behind them by about a metre to give them privacy. Surprisingly they didn't approach any topics surrounding marriage or children. Lord Griffiths seemed genuinely interested in what Cordelia added to the conversation, which was refreshing.

Lord Griffiths, brought up the over the top curtsy from the ball and teased Cordelia endlessly with it. Even going as far as to re-enact it which caused Cordelia to erupt into a gut of giggles.

She almost didn't want it to end when she saw the Bridgerton's house coming into view. She wished that she had walked at a slightly slower pace just to give them a few more minutes together.

"I believe this is your stop." Lord Griffiths spoke, standing in front of the house with Cordelia.

"Indeed it is." She replied, the flowers still in hand. "Thank you for accompanying me and supplying me with most diverting conversation."

The pair bid each other adieu, the Lord leaving Cordelia at the steps to the Bridgerton's. Ellis snuck a suggestive glance at Cordelia which made the girl blush and shake her head.

She strolled up the steps, holding her dress to one side with the same hand that was holding the bouquet, and knocked on the door with her free one. It was answered almost immediately by one of the Bridgerton's servants who let Cordelia straight in.

"I believe they are in the drawing room, Miss Moore." He informed her, gesturing with his arm to the room nearby.

"Thank you." Cordelia replied graciously before waking into the house and towards the room.

Cordelia gently knocked on the open door to signal the group to her presence. She was a little surprised to see Daphne looking annoyed but she quickly remembered how Anthony was acting recently.

"Cordy!" Eloise cheered, jumping up from her seat, abandoning her book and running over. Cordelia caught Eloise in her arms, stumbling a little due to the force. "I wasn't sure if Daphne was being truthful when she claimed she saw you last night."

"Do you deem me lowly, sister." Daphne cut in, already in a bad mood from Anthony sabotaging the few males that actually called upon her.

"Allow us to have our reunion." Cordelia joked, giving Eloise one last squeeze before letting go. "Squashed a few flowers." She murmured to herself, gently trying to fix them.

"You are in search for a husband?" Eloise gasped, realising Cordelia's flowers must have been from a suitor.

Anthony had been glued to his spot in the corner of the room and he knew Cordelia hadn't seen him yet. "Well, I must be off to my club then. Sisters. Mother." He muttered, taking a deep breath as he approached the door that was currently blocked by his sister and Cordelia.

Eloise moved out of the way to allow her brother to pass by. But Cordelia was frozen to her spot. Anthony still exited, his chest brushing her arm as he squeezed by.

The contact snapped Cordelia out of her state and caused her to spring into action. "I will be back in a moment." She quickly uttered to Eloise before taking off after Anthony.

Anthony could hear the clicking or Cordelia's slippers as she tried to reach him, which only made him walk faster.

"Ant- Lord Bridgerton, please wait?" Cordelia called, almost running to catch up to him.

Anthony sighed and came to a stop. He pinched the bridge of his noise, annoyed by his need to do as she asked. "What can I help you with, Miss Moore?" He questioned with frustration, slowly turning around to face her.

Cordelia ignored his tone, "I need to express my most sincerest of apologies." She explained, looking into his eyes to try and gauge Anthony's reaction.

Anthony initially avoided eye contact with Cordelia, but he didn't last for long. "It is I who should be apologising for the events of the Danbury Ball." He stated formally, acting as if they were cordial but nothing more.

Cordelia shook her head lightly. "Not at all my Lord. I wish to apologise for everything." She responded, nervously fiddling with the stems of the flowers.

Anthony clenched his jaw, staring down at Cordelia. "You do not need to apologise." He told her and started to walk away.

"Lord Bridgerton, I must!" Cordelia insisted, speeding up so they were walking side by side. "I am deeply sorry for hurting you Lord Bridgerton. You must know it was never my intention to do so." She added, keeping in step with Anthony.

"Then why did you leave?" Anthony questioned, pausing once again and turning to look at Cordelia. "Why did you leave?" He repeated, looking deeply into Cordelia's eyes as if he was searching for an answer.

A small shiver went up Cordelia's spine as Anthony stared so meaningfully at her. "I-I." She stuttered, the intensity of his stare forcing her mind to go cloudy.  Cordelia's breathing quickened, her chest rising significant causing her breasts to be forced up due to the corset.

Cordelia watched as Anthony's eyes slowly dropped to her chest. He was not at all being subtle.

"Anthony." Cordelia lightly scolded with a chuckle, she put her hand up to rest on his chin so she could move his eye line back to her face.

Anthony quickly realised what Cordelia was laughing at and awkwardly cleared his throat. "You do not need to apologise as I do not care for it. An apology doesn't redeem your actions." He hissed partly in anger and also in embarrassment. He took ahold of Cordelia's wrist and gently removed it from his face as he looked away and over to the carriage waiting for him. "I must be off." He muttered, walking away and glancing back at Cordelia over his shoulder.

Cordelia kept her eyes on Anthony as he walk away. Sadness was illustrated over her face, her hands clutching the flowers tightly and she squeezed her eyes together as she tried to keep calm and rein in her feelings. Once again.

Anthony's heart lurched at the sight. He could easily recognise when Cordelia was trying to hide her emotions, something her mother taught her to do. As a Lady it is important to remain neutral and calm -at least that was what Cordelia was taught.

From birth Cordelia was always described as being in touch with her emotions which allowed her to be extremely empathetic towards others.

A value Anthony greatly valued in her.

It hurt him to be the one to make her feel that way. But, his own hurt and anger was causing him to react before thinking. Damaging their strained relationship even further.

______

Another chapter! Hope you enjoyed. Next chapter will show Cordelia's and Eloise's relationship.

Dresses at the top again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 39 6
[College AU - Bridgerton Short Story || Anthony Bridgerton x Original Female Character] You're in love with something bigger than love You believe in...
22.3K 694 13
The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn, Charlotte and Benedict Bridgerton, find themselves on the brink of new adventures as they confront the c...
29.6K 799 30
"There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you leave. Like if you hold me without hurting me. You'll be the first who ever did." Victoria...
91.1K 1.8K 35
Eleanora Fitzwilliam had known Anthony Bridgerton since they were both merely three and ten years of age. Eleanora's unexpected marriage to another m...