The Heart Of Alchemy

By Brownie_Stars

After completing the Trials of the 7 Kingdoms, Varian with his found family of Yong, Nuru, and new lover, Hug... More

Returning Home?
The Vision of Nightmares
Enter the Walls of Corona
The Secret Holder
Meeting the Ex-Thievery Family
We Swear We Didn't Kill Him
Visions, Consequences, and Love
One of the Same
Talks of the Night
Town Trouble
Revealing the Truth
Conceal the Truth
The Beginning of His Enemies
Younger Big Sister to the Rescue
Yong has Rights
She Who Sees His Fear
Just a Little More
We Need to Talk

Official Meeting

236 5 19
By Brownie_Stars

All I gotta say is that I kept on smiling while writing this chapter because I kept on thinking of Avatar: The Last Airbender, you'll see when you read. 😅

Now, Varian wasn't trying to not get any sleep the night before. It just kinda, maybe, sorta happened? Look in his defense, after what happened the day prior, he wasn't too excited to be alone with his- could he even call them dreams?- anymore.

What didn't help was how awkward it was last night with Hugo. He was glad the boy didn't push anything on him, it was something Varian admired about the man, and Hugo was someone Varian could trust his life with. And yet. . .

Varian shook his nerves off. Everything would go amazing today! His family and friends were going to meet the people he considered as a second family. Plus they were going to stay for a few days to visit. Everything would be fine!

If only that were true as the test tube in him cracked once more.

~

" So, Varian, are you going to introduce us to your friends? " The princess of Corona, and temporary queen, asked during breakfast.

Said boy shifted with unease. One wrong move and his life would return to chaos. One slip up and the mask he'd worn would break into a million pieces. A single mistake- and he would be in the dungeon once more.

" R-right, " he stuttered out slightly. He gripped the poorly bandaged hand he dressed this morning, though it was under a glove so that no one would notice. After last night, he didn't want to bother Hugo anymore, and took a deep breath. ' Here we go. '

" The smaller boy, " he pointed to Yong, " is Yong from the Fire Kingdom. " The Asian waved excitedly towards the princess, who returned the gesture, and her husband did the same but much more calmly, with a smile on his face. " The girl is Princess Nuru of the Air Kingdom, " he gestured to the dark-skinned girl. " Then the boy with the glasses is Hugo. "

" And where's Hugo from? "

Varian looked nervously towards his father who asked the question. Before he could reply, Mr. Smarty Mouth decided to first.

" I come from nowhere and from everywhere. " Hugo grinned as Nuru rolled her eyes.

" I don't quite- "

" He's probably a traveling salesman, " Eugene replied, setting down his glass and giving Hugo a slight glare. " So tell us, Hugo- how did you end up traveling with Goggles over here? "

Hugo opened his mouth to reply before a sharp pain hit his foot. He looked towards his right to see a glaring Varian staring right at him. Hugo immediately closed his mouth after that.

" He- uh, he's actually an alchemist like I am, Dad. Isn't that great? " Varian answered a little too quickly for his liking. He saw his father just nod before he went back to looking at his food.

" Varian, I- "

" Woops, look at the time! I promised them that I'd give them a tour of the town, isn't that right?! "

The three looked at Varian with worry but nodded anyway. The four stood up and pushed in their chairs. " Thank you for everything, Rapunzel, but we should get going. Bye! " Before anyone could say another word, Varian ushered the three out of the dining room.

~

So Varian realized he'd screwed up. . . very, very badly. At least it wasn't as bad as a few other. . . mishaps. . . that have happened before. Right?

Oh Mother of Demantis he was so wrong!

And now here he was, with his three closest friends he saw as family, all of them looking confused, or in Hugo's case, anger he believed to be so. The blond rubbed his hand against his temple as he let out a deep breath. A lasering glare reaching Varian's eyes.

" Varian, can we please talk? " He spoke with teeth just barely clenching. " Alone. "

Varian knew this would be the end of his and Hugo's relationship.

Nuru and Yong took note of the scene and fled to some other part of the castle. Hopefully they wouldn't cause any trouble. Well, that Yong wouldn't cause any trouble, Nuru would be fine.

The sun bathed little of the hallway they were in. Portraits hung against the walls of the past royal families, their painted eyes following the boys' every move. Hugo ran a hand through his blond hair as the sunlight bounced off of it. Varian just wrapped his arms around his midsection in the shadows of the light, the portrait of the current royal family hanging right behind him.

Hugo walked closer to him. Varian felt his heartbeat skyrocket in that moment from fear.

' This was it, ' he thought, shutting his eyes closed, ' it all ends here. '

And before Varian knew it, he felt something grasping his hand. Opening his eyes as he saw Hugo with worriness filling his own. Before he could say anything the glove was off- his wrapped up hand was revealed to the older boy.

" What kind of a job is that, Goggles? " Hugo's voice cracked a little as he tugged the wrapping off of Varian's hand. " I thought I taught you better than this, but I guess I'll have to do it for you like always. "

The strips of bandage fell off with grace. Time seemed to stop around Varian as his boyfriend re-wrapped his hand. The painted, soulless eyes stared and stared right at the two.

Another slight pulsing pain hit his head once more. The image, again, being from the weird dream he had. A pair of glasses and goggles intertwined with one another.

Not before long did Varian snap out of his thoughts and see the newly bandaged hand. It was perfect and clean, unlike the one he had on previously.

" Are you mad? "

Hugo shook his head. Varian felt a light hand on his cheek as Hugo looked at him straight in the eyes. He noted how the blond's eyes seemed as hollow as a tree; his hair shading his eyes from that moment on.

Varian saw the way Hugo walked closer to him once more. This time in the shadows of the sunlight. Just like Varian was.

" Are you ashamed of me? " Hugo turned away once he asked, cringing slightly as his voice cracked at the end.

" No. . . " Varian quickly grasped the hands of his lover. His chest tightened at the thought. " No, Hugo, I-. . w-why would you say- "

" Because you don't want me here, " he said in a stern voice, causing Varian to flinch slightly at the tone. " You don't seem exactly comfortable, " he gestured to himself, " with me around. "

Varian stayed silent. He had been avoiding Hugo, but his reason for doing so. A sigh escaped his lips as he made little circles around the boy's palm. His shoulders hunched a bit before Varian placed his head against Hugo's collarbone.

" I could never be ashamed of you, Hugh, " his voice was muffled by the other's clothing. " It's just- what if they don't like us? Together I mean? "

Varian felt guilt welt up inside of him. He was telling the truth, technically, but he wasn't telling the whole truth. And it burned his insides to not be able to say everything.

He felt Hugo lift his chin up to meet his own. Blue and green eyes met and everything around them was forgotten. A single movement- and their lips crashed together.

Suddenly Varian felt all of his nerves leave at once. His body was calm for once, like a gentle breeze blowing through a flower field, and his mind thought of nothing but Hugo.

Was Varian doing the right thing? Should he have told Hugo the full truth? He knew the answer but pushed it into the back of his mind. They only needed to spend a few more days. After that, all of his worries would be gone. Forever.

Soon the young couple pulled away from each other. Both panted slightly from their kiss lasting for so long.

" Sorry, " Hugo blushed. " I- uh, didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. "

" You could never make me uncomfortable. " Varian smiled at the way his boyfriend got flustered. He pushed a piece of Hugo's hair behind his ear, and felt a dust of blush of his own flutter across his face.

" Look, I know that there's something else going on in that big brain of yours. " He pointed to Varian's head before continuing. " I know how you are, trying to hide everything and such, but you aren't alone anymore. And you don't have to hide your feelings from us anymore. From me anymore. But, until you're ready as is, I'll wait for you to tell me. Mother of Demantis, I'm starting to sound like Yong now. "

" I still love you, " Varian whispered. " And I always will, Glasses. "

" And I'll always love you too, Goggles. " Hugo grabbed the shorter boy's hands and pulled him towards the sunlight. " Now come on, you said you'd show us around the town, didn't you? "

Varian laughed at Hugo's childishness and felt his heart flutter. He grabbed the other boy's hand and pulled him down the way Nuru and Yong had gone. The rest of the day would be spent with the people who understood him.

I don't know why, but I've been really motivated to write this story more often. I DO have a plot- I'm just trying my best to confuse you and wait for the element of surprise!

Have a wonderific day/night to you all! 😊

~ Brooklyn

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 2.9K 34
This is my take on the idea of a Varian spin-off series of Tangled: The Series/Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure. The AU was presented to Disney by storyb...
3.3K 35 1
Rapunzel along with Judy return to the kingdom of Corona, only to find it is taken by a old enemy. Now Rapunzel have to use her inner strength to sa...
256 7 3
Hugo could still place exactly where that stupid blue streak flowed against the rest of his hair. He could still count the freckles that dusted the t...
13.3K 461 15
[Newsies Crossover] Visiting the kingdom of Neserdia in France, the king and queen of Corona finalize trade deals with King Joseph and Queen Erica of...