Watching the HTTYD Franchise

By AristiChthonia

Exactly what the title says. Disclaimer: I don't own How To Train Your Dragon. All rights belong to Cressida... More

Prologue
Chapter 2: How to Train Your Dragon
Chapter 3: How To Train Your Dragon
Chapter 4: Break
Chapter 5: How To Train Your Dragon
Chapter 6: How to Train Your Dragon
Chapter 7: Break 2
Chapter 8: How to Train Your Dragon
Chapter 9: How to Train Your Dragon
Chapter 10: How to Train Your Dragon
Chapter 11: How to Train Your Dragon

Chapter 1: How to Train Your Dragon

2.3K 41 22
By AristiChthonia

Once everyone is comfortable, the movies starts.

[We glide across the ocean to see an island surrounded by fog. The moment the island is shown, a boy speaks.]

"This is Berk," Hiccup's voice came as a voiceover. "It's twelve days north of Hopeless, and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death."

"Is that you, Hiccup?" Fishlegs asks, knowing the answer.

"Well, it's my voice, but I don't remember this," Hiccup replies.

[We glide through the fog to see two giant Viking statues with fires burning in their mouths.]

"It's located solidly on the Meridian of Misery."

A lot of people laugh at the truth in his words.

"It's not that bad is it?" Stoick asked Gobber.

His friend simply shrugs before turning his attention back to the movie.

[We go past the statues only to dive through a crashing wave and jump to a closer shot of the island. As we pan in a circular motion, we see several structures, houses, and a sheep farm.]

"My village. In a word, sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but, every single building is new. We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets."

[We land on two sheep grazing in the grass.]

"The only problems are the pests."

"Leave it to you to make our 'pests' sound like a small problem," Astrid laughs.

A dragon carries one sheep away. The other resumes grazing.

"You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have..."

A dragon fires at the screen as a door slams shut, a boy cowering behind it

"...dragons. Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings."

The Berkians cheer.

"We have stubbornness issues."

"You're one to talk," Astrid says, as most of the Berkians turn to glare at Hiccup.

Hiccup runs outside, where all the houses are on fire and Vikings are tussling with dragons all around.

"My name's Hiccup."

Viggo's and Ryker's jaws drop in shock. They know that Hiccup's always been a fishbone, but not this small of a fishbone.

"Great name, I know. But, it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanour wouldn't do that."

"You don't like your name?" Stoick asks.

"I didn't, but now, I have a certain appreciation in being a... hiccup," he replies, subconsciously scratching Toothless' chin.

Hiccup dodges several Vikings. A nearby explosion from the blast of a teal Gronckle causes him to trip and a male Viking roars in his face.

"ARGGGHHHHH!" The Viking roars before smiling madly. "Mornin'!"

The Viking gets up and runs off towards a the battle.

"What are you doin' out?" Hoard yells at Hiccup as he runs by.

"I needed to get to work," Hiccup says.

"Get back inside!" Phlegma shouts.

"My house was on fire," Hiccup replies as if he's back there right now.

Stoick grabs Hiccup by the collar of his shirt.

"Hiccup?" He shouts at the villagers around them. "What is he doing out again?" He turns to Hiccup. "What are you doing out? Get inside!"

"That's Stoick the Vast, Chief of the tribe," Hiccup's voice came again. "They say that when he was a baby, he popped a dragon's head clean off of its shoulders."

Stoick laughs. That rumour was still going around?

Stoick throws a wooden cart at a dragon, knocking it out mid-air.

"Do I believe it? Yes, I do."

"What have we got?" Stoick asks Starkard.

"Gronckles, Nadders, Zipplebacks. Oh, and Hoark saw a Monstrous Nightmare," Starkard reports.

"Any Night Furies?" Stoick asks.

"None so far," Starkard replies.

Burning embers land on Stoick's shoulder. He casually brushes it off.

"Good," Stoick says.

"Hoist the torches!" A Viking commands.

Two enormous torches are raised and lit. The dragons swarm around them. Hiccup runs into a blacksmith shop and puts on an apron.

"Ah! Nice of you to join the party!" Gobber says cheerfully. "I thought you'd been carried off!"

"What, who me?" Hiccup replies, cleaning off the messy table. "Nah, come on! I'm waaaay too muscular for their taste. They wouldn't know what to do with all..." he gestures to his skinny body "...this."

"Well, they need toothpicks, don't they?" Gobber replies.

"The meathead with attitude and interchangeable hands is Gobber," Hiccup's voice comes again. "I've been his apprentice ever since I was little. Well... littler."

"Meathead?" Gobber asks.

Hiccup smiles sheepishly in reply.

[Scene cuts to Stoick on the watch-tower.]

"We move to the lower defenses," Stoick orders "We'll counter-attack with the catapults."

A dragon swoops down and sets another house on fire.

"See? Old village, lots and lots of new houses." Hiccups voiceover comes again.

"FIRE!" A Viking shouts.

In response, the fire brigade, consisting of five teenagers, rush to put out the fire. Among them is a cute and energetic teenage girl.

"Alright, let's go!" The girl yells at the others.

The Viking teens are seen carrying buckets of water as Hiccup in the voiceover introduces them one by one.

"Oh, and that's Fishlegs, Snotlout, the Twins, Ruffnut and Tuffnut, and... (dreamily) Astrid."

There's an explosion behind her, framing her in a sexy ball of fire, as the teens join her.

Astrid turns to her boyfriend, an eyebrow raised. Hiccup's face turns into all shades of red known to man. Astrid smiles, resisting the urge to kiss him, since they're still keeping their relationship a secret.

"Oh, their job is so much cooler." Hiccup's voiceover says.

[Slow motion shot of the teens walking away from the explosion.]

Hiccup leans out of the smithing window to get a better look. Gobber lifts him up by his collar and back into the shop.

"Why do you lift him up like that?" Heather asks. "He clearly doesn't like it."

All the adult Berkians look around restlessly, not knowing the answer themselves.

"Oh, come on. Let me out, please?" Hiccup pleads. "I need to make my mark!"

"Oh, you've made plenty of marks," Gobber replies. "All in the wrong places!"

"Please, two minutes. I'll kill a dragon. My life will get infinitely better. I might even get a date," he tries to reason.

"You don't need one now," Astrid whispers to him, making him smile, and squeeze her hand.

The action doesn't go unnoticed by the brunette little girl next to them, who smiles.

"You can't lift a hammer," Gobber counter-argues.

"Actually, I can," Hiccup butts in. "You can't really be a blacksmith if you can't lift a hammer."

"You can't swing an axe," Gobber continues.

"Yes, I can," Hiccup objects again. "Just not very far, but I can do it pretty well up close."

"I can confirm that," Astrid agrees.

"You can't even throw one of these!" Gobber finishes, holding up a bola.

A Viking grabs it and uses it to bring down a dragon.

Many people in the room flinch at the sight.

"Okay, fine," Hiccup agrees. "But this will throw it for me."

Hiccup pats a wooden machine, which opens and shoots a bola randomly, hitting a Viking standing in the background.

"Arggh!" The Viking screams in pains.

"Sorry about that, by the way," Hiccup calls out to said Viking.

"See, now this right here is what I'm talking about!" Gobber exclaims, his point proven.

"Mild calibration issue-" Hiccup protests.

"Don't you- no- Hiccup," Gobber interrupts. "If you ever want to get out there to fight dragons, you need to stop all... this."

"But, you just pointed to all of me!" Hiccup exclaims, astonished.

"Yes!" Gobber agrees. "That's it! Stop being all of you!"

"Rude," Heather calls out.

Many of the Berkians look down, guilty.

"Ohhhh..." Hiccup says threateningly.

"Ohhhh, yes," Gobber mimics him.

"You sir, are playing a dangerous game," Hiccup says. "Keeping this much, raw... Viking-ness... contained? THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!"

"'Raw Viking-ness'?" Astrid questions him, raising an eyebrow.

Hiccup blushes in embarrassment.

"Well, he wasn't wrong," Dagur says. "There were consequences. Just the best kind."

He pets Shaddermaster. 

"I'll take my chances," Gobber deadpans. "Sword. Sharpen. Now."

"One day, I'll get out there," Hiccup's voiceover says. "Because killing a dragon is everything around here."

[The camera pans over various dragons as they are described.]

Nadders are shown attacking sheep, Gronckles are stealing racks of fish, and a Zippleback ignites a house and blows it up.

"A Nadder head is sure to get me at least noticed," Hiccup's voiceover says. "Gronckles are tough. Taking down one of those would definitely get me a girlfriend. A Zippleback? Exotic. Two heads, twice the status."

"They found the sheep!" The catapult operator shouts.

"Concentrate fire over the lower bank!" Stoick commands.

"Fire!" The catapult operator orders.

"And then, there's the Monstrous Nightmare," Hiccup's voiceover starts to talk again. "Only the best Vikings go after those. They have this nasty habit of setting themselves on fire."

A Monstrous Nightmare growls, and lights itself on fire as it climbs up the catapult.

"Reload! I'll take care of this," Stoick yells at his men.

Stoick fights the Nightmare, which takes a few hits before retreating.

"But the ultimate prize is the dragon no one has ever seen," Hiccup's voiceover says. "We call it the-"

A high-pitched whistle is heard from the sky. The Vikings panic.

"NIGHT FURY!" A Viking shouts. "GET DOWN!"

From out of nowhere, an explosion tears the catapult apart.

"JUMP!" Stoick exclaims.

"This thing never steals food, never shows itself, and... never misses," Hiccup's voiceover exclaims. "No one has ever killed a Night Fury. That's why I'm going to be the first."

Throk and Mala look surprised. They didn't think that there was a time where Hiccup wanted to kill dragons. He loves dragons more than anyone.

"Man the fort, Hiccup," Gobber tells him. "They need me out there!"

He attaches an axe to his arm and begins to run out, but turns around at the doorway.

"Stay," Gobber instructs. "Put. There. You know what I mean."

"Geez, Gobber, you make it sound as if he's a dog," Dagur laughs.

"Did you really think I'd stay, Gobber?" Hiccup asks.

"Probably not," Gobber replies.

Hiccup runs outside the fort, bringing his bolas launcher.

"Hiccup, where are you going?" A Viking barks.

"Come back here!" Another hollers.

"Yeah, I know!" Hiccup calls over his shoulder. "Be right back!"

"You really thought he was coming back?" Dagur laughs.

The two Vikings in question look anywhere except in the direction of Hiccup and Stoick.

Hiccup is pushing a cart with the automated catapult on it.

Stoick captures several Nadders in a net and wrestles them. One tries to blast him with fire.

"Mind yourselves!" Stoick warns. "The devils still have some juice in them!"

Hiccup sets up his bola catapult on an empty hill, and looks around.

"Come on," Hiccup says. "Gimme something to shoot at, gimme something to shoot at."

[The camera pans around the night sky, and catches on a shadow, visibly blotting out the stars.]

It fires, and an explosion illuminates it, showing a visible shadow. Hiccup shoots, and a loud cry is heard as the shadow is seen plummeting down into a forest.

"Oh, I hit it!" He says excitedly. "YES! I HIT IT! Did anybody see that?"

A Monstrous Nightmare shows up and crushes Hiccup's bola launcher.

"Except for you," Hiccup says, his face falling.

"How are you so sarcastic in the face of danger?" The auburn-haired girl next to Astrid asks.

"Well, my sarcasm is like a defence mechanism," Hiccup replies. "It just happens."

A shrill cry sounds from the hill, and catches Stoick's attention.

"Ha! You scream like a girl," Snotlout laughs.

The auburn-haired girl walks over to the stocky Viking and punches him in the face.

"You want to say that again?" She asks threateningly, as Snotlout clutches his nose, and shakes his head. "That's what I thought."

He turns to see the Monstrous Nightmare chasing Hiccup, and gets up to go help him.

"DO NOT let them escape!" Stoick commands.

"Right!" Spitelout agrees.

Hiccup runs behind a torch pole and hides, just as flames reach around the corner. He looks behind it and on the other side, the Nightmare reaches to get Hiccup. Stoick punches the beast and jumps back to defend himself. The dragon tries to breathe fire, but coughs up only a few drops of flaming liquid instead, having exhausted its shots

"You're all out," Stoick smirks.

Stoick promptly defeats the Nightmare, which quickly flees. The torch pole collapses, the torch tumbles down into the village, leaving ruins in its wake.

"Oh, and there's one more thing you need to know..." Hiccup's voiceover says.

"What?" Tuffnut asks.

The torch rolls onto the Nadders Stoick netted earlier, freeing them. The dragons manage to escape, hauling off most of Berk's food and livestock. Hiccup winces.

"Sorry, Dad." Hiccup apologies.

"That's your dad?" The two children exclaim simultaneously.

"Yep," Hiccup says.

"Okay, but I hit a Night Fury," he says quickly.

"I'm sorry I didn't believe you, son," Stoick apologises.

"It's fine," Hiccup says. "I was used to it."

Stoick grabs Hiccup by the back of his shirt and drags him towards his house.

"That's the third time someone's picked him up like that," Mala says. "Why do you do it?"

Many Berkians look down guiltily again.

"It's not like the last few times, Dad!" Hiccup protests. "I mean, I really actually hit it! You guys were busy and I had a very clear shot. It went down, just off Raven Point. Let's get a search party out there, before it-"

"STOP!" Stoick shouts angrily. "Just... stop. Every time you step outside, disaster follows. Can you not see that I have bigger problems? Winter's almost here and I have an entire village to feed!"

"Between you and me, the village could do with a little less feeding, don't ya think?" Hiccup replies.

A viking at the back rubs his stomach as if to say "Are you calling me fat?"

"Not even ten minutes in, and he's already insulted the entire village," Stoick chuckles, amusement evident in his voice.

"You know, I was self-conscious for nearly a month, because of that little comment," Astrid whispers to Hiccup. "I refused to eat. It drove my parents insane."

"I'm so sorry," Hiccup quickly apologises. "I didn't mean to make you insecure. You're beautiful."

"Thanks," Astrid smiles. "You just made my week."

"By saying that you're beautiful?" Hiccup asks, confused.

"Yeah," Astrid replies. "You don't say it very often, so when you do say it, it feels special."

"This isn't a joke, Hiccup! Why can't you follow the simplest orders?"

"I can't stop myself," Hiccup replies. "I see a dragon and I have to just... kill it, you know? It's who I am, Dad."

"You are many things, Hiccup," Stoick sighs. "But a dragon killer is not one of them."

"I'm okay with that," Hiccup says.

"Get back to the house," Stoick tells him. Then he turns to Gobber. "Make sure he gets there. I have his mess to clean up."

"Quite the performance," Tuffnut teases.

"I've never seen anyone mess up that badly," Snotlout snickers. "That helped!"

"Thank you, thank you," Hiccup replies. "I was trying, so..."

He avoids Astrid's glare.

Viggo and Ryker look on in shock. The Riders are so close. What happened?

All the teens look down guiltily, remembering how they treated the heir.

"I really did hit one," Hiccup says softly.

"Sure, Hiccup," Gobber replies.

"He never listens," Hiccup continues.

"Well, it runs in the family," Gobber says.

Stoick, Hiccup, and the two kids turn to glare at Gobber.

"And when he does, it's always with this... disappointed scowl," Hiccup goes on. "Like someone skimped on the meat in his sandwich." He begins to imitate Stoick. "Excuse me, barmaid! I'm afraid you brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms. Extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fish bone!"

"That's actually a really good impersonation," Astrid smiles. "Do you know anymore?"

"I can basically do everyone on Berk, and some people out side of Berk," Hiccup replies.

"Now, you're thinking about this all wrong," Gobber says. "It's not so much what you look like, it's what's inside that he can't stand."

"Thank you for summing that up," Hiccup says sarcastically.

"Wow, Gobber," Hiccup says, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "You're so great at pep talks. Thank you."

"You're welcome," Gobber replies, completely missing the sarcasm.

Almost everyone facepalms at his obliviousness.

"Look, the point is," Gobber adds. "Stop trying so hard to be something you're not."

"I just want to be one of you guys." Hiccup says sadly.

Hiccup goes inside before exiting through the back of the house and running into the forest.

"You can never sit still, can you?" Astrid teases.

"Nope," he replies.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.8K 1.5K 11
Modern AU. Hiccup Haddock left home six years ago immediately after High School...but this Snoggletog, he is finally returning. Unfortunately, fate s...
22.8K 615 10
When Hiccup gets into an accident, he remembers nothing but his father, Stoick, his mentor, Gobber, the Viking teens who bullied him, and most of all...
223K 7.4K 53
Hiccup Haddock is disowned and driven from his home for dishonouring the family. Five years later, as the pirate, Captain Fury, he seeks to avenge hi...
38.3K 744 16
Five years after Berk made peace with the dragons, a new threat rises and puts things to the test. Putting all of Berk and dragon kind at risk. HTTYD...