the princess and the pauper ♕...

Av wishtherebestars

a peaky blinders x downton abbey crossover "Trust me, Dowager. You will not see me again until I've made myse... Mer

cast
prologue
chapter one: titanic
chapter two: ada shelby
chapter three: london
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven
chapter twenty eight
epilogue

chapter twenty-three

3.4K 123 7
Av wishtherebestars

1919, 1 week before Christmas

Ophelia and Tommy had left the celebration quite late; it had only been Polly, John and Arthur who were there to hear Tommy tell them they had become the third largest legal racetrack operation in the country, beneath Solomons and Sabini.

"I want you to move in with me" Tommy said when they reached her apartment. "And give my father a heart attack?" Ophelia asked as she watched Tommy. "He doesn't need to know" Tommy said. "No, besides you are here more than I'm at yours" she said. "Fair" Tommy said. "Can you now tell me about what happened?" he asked, looking at her. Ophelia nodded.

They sat on the couch, after Ophelia made herself some tea and gave Tommy scotch. "It was last Christmas, I was feeling down ever since we separated, and when my sister suggested I go ride Cerberus and when I was at the stables, I felt lightheaded and blacked out. By the time I woke up Dr. Clarkson informed me I had gone through a miscarriage" Ophelia said.

Tommy fell silent. He wasn't someone you expected to get emotional, and Ophelia didn't expect him too either. She expected him to react like every other man to such news to show they care. But when Ophelia looked at Tommy, she felt guilty. "I'm sorry" she said. It wasn't her fault, there was nothing she could have done different. "Don't" Tommy said, and Ophelia felt panic for a little, not wanting to hear his next words. "Don't apologise, it wasn't your fault" Tommy finished and there was relief in Ophelia, that she was not to blame. "I want you to look at me" Tommy said, and she did. "I don't want you to blame yourself. This wasn't your fault. I wish you had told me when it happened or told me sooner" Tommy said. He turned to face her and placed his hands on her cheeks.

"I love you, and I plan to marry you, soon" Tommy said. "And I want us to make a promise" Tommy said. "What is that?" Ophelia asked. "To never lie to each other ever again" Tommy said. "I promise" she said. "I promise as well" Tommy said.

Few days before Christmas, Ophelia planned to leave with most her stuff. It was then Tommy came to visit her. "Everything alright?" she asked when she saw him. "I just received a letter from your mother. She invited me for Christmas and New Year's" Tommy said. "Are you joining us?" she asked. "I will, but I also have a question" Tommy asked. "Which is" Ophelia asked. "What is the servant's ball?" he asked. "It's a party, in January, we host for the servants. We dance and have food" Ophelia said. "Why?" Ophelia asked. "Your mother invited my entire family to join, including Esme and Freddie" Tommy said. "She even offered to make sure any and all children will be taken care off" Tommy said.

"Family meetings in my family are quite serious" Ophelia said. "And if you don't want to come then that's fine too" she said. "No, if I'm going to marry you, then your family meeting mine is something we'll need to do" Tommy said before he took Ophelia to the station.

When Ophelia finally arrived, her mother immediately walked over to her. "Has Tommy told you if he's going to come?" she asked. "Yes, and his family will come for the servant's ball" Ophelia said. "Also, when did you start calling him Tommy?" Ophelia asked. "Well, he's nice and you two are clearly in love with each other" her mother said. "Mama, how American of you to be so blunt" Ophelia smiled. "But I do love him, and I hope everything goes well" Ophelia said. "Your aunt Rosamund is coming today as well" Cora said. "Oh, and still no Sybil?" she asked. "No, they couldn't make it" Cora said, trying to hide the fact Sybil couldn't come because she was pregnant.

Rosamund Crawley was not a woman of family, but she would do a lot to protect her family. She often did it to go against her mother, whom she loved, but also loved to annoy. She was much like her mother, and her brother always said it was the reason why they couldn't get along. When she finally arrived at Downton, she told them how she ran into Lord Hepworth.

"You can invite him for New Year's" Cora told her sister-in-law. "Who else is coming?" Rosamund asked. "Mama is coming, and Cousin Matthew and Isobel. I'm sure Mary invited Sir Richard Carlisle and Ophelia invited Tommy" Cora said. "Who is this, Tommy?" Rosamund asked. "Her beau" Mary said when she walked in. "Do we know him or his family?" Rosamund asked. "No, he is a bookmaker from Birmingham" Cora said. "A bookmaker?" Rosamund asked. "Yes, and he's expanding, trying to improve himself. Quite the type" Mary said. "How does Robert feel?" Rosamund asked. "He thinks its admirable that he is trying to improve himself, and he served in the army won many metals" Cora said. "I am going to enjoy the dinner now" Rosamund said.

The days leading up to Christmas went by fast. And on Christmas morning Tommy Shelby arrived to join the Crawley's. Carson had called for Ophelia who was happy to see Tommy again. "How do you celebrate Christmas?" Tommy asked when they walked towards the library. "Well, we have lunch soon, and we serve ourselves, on Christmas and New Year's Eve we always do, all the servants are off." Ophelia said. "No presents or anything?" he asked. "We do that around lunchtime; we give presents to the servants and then they go have their luncheon. We exchange ours at lunch as well" Ophelia said. "I'm afraid I didn't bring enough for everyone" Tommy said. "That's alright, it's mostly people giving something together, you can join in on mine for everyone" Ophelia said. "Thank you" Tommy said.

Matthew and Isobel arrived soon, and Matthew went to speak with Tommy while Isobel joined Ophelia. "He was invited for Christmas?" she asked. "Yes. Mama insisted I did. He's also joining us for New Year's and his family will join for the servant's ball" Ophelia said. "How great, I am quite interested to meet his family" Isobel said. "I hope all goes well" Ophelia said, and she was mostly thinking about her grandmother and father.

Just before Lunch time, when everyone was dressed, even Tommy, the Crawley family gave out presents to their servants. Anna was the only one not feeling the Christmas spirit, given her husband was still in jail awaiting the trial. Tommy stood with Rosamund, at the end of the line with the Family, and every once in a while Ophelia would send him a reassuring smile which he returned.

"So, what do you do, Mr.?" Rosamund asked, now that she had him alone, she could ask him all sorts of questions. "Thomas Shelby, Lady Rosamund, I'm a bookmaker in Birmingham" Tommy said. "Any good?" she asked. "We just became the third largest in the country" Tommy said. "Quite impressive, that deserves to be celebrated" Isobel said when she noticed what Rosamund tried to do. "Thank you, Mrs. Crawley" he said. He had learned quite well how to address everyone, yet he was still not too comfortable around the posh family, but he did it because he loved Ophelia so much.

After the servants got their gifts, they all went into the library to have their lunch and exchange of gifts. "We got you something as well, Tommy" Cora said smiling at the man. "Thank you, my lady" he said when he accepted the small package. He didn't expect anything and felt bad he didn't bring anything himself. "Tommy and I have some of your presents there too" Ophelia said, looking at the pile where everyone placed their gifts for the others. "How kind of you two" Cora said. "Yes, very" Lord Grantham said.

Tommy opened his gift and it revealed three fountain pens. Each pen had a gold engraving of 'Shelby Company Limited' and on the cap it had the initials of himself and his brothers. "We thought it was a good gift, for you and your brothers now that you've started the company" Lord Grantham said. "Thank you, my lord" Tommy said. Ophelia smiled at her father, she knew about the pens, because her father came to ask their names and the company name about a week ago. And she was glad they were accepting of Tommy.

"I bought you this" Tommy said, handing a wrapped box to Ophelia. "I wasn't sure if it was more a Christmas gift or a birthday one" Tommy said. "Fine either way" she said and opened it, to reveal the locket Tommy had in his possession for a while now. The Crawley family crest was recreated on the front and when she opened it, she saw Tommy's name engraved into it. "I carry your name with me for good luck, it should only be fitting for you to carry mine" he told her. "Thank you" she said and immediately put it on.

"I have invited someone else" Dowager said. "Who did you invite, Mama" Lord Grantham asked. "The Marquess of Daventry" she said. "For Christmas?" she asked. "No, for New Year's" the dowager said. "You know the Marquess?" Lord Grantham asked, when he looked to his youngest daughter. "Barely. We met once at Granny's. He was newly appointed because he was originally fourth in line" Ophelia said. "He said he had nowhere to go, so I invited him" the dowager said. "Well, might as well. Rosamund made me invite Lord Hepworth as well" Lord Grantham said. "Oh?" the Dowager said surprised.

"Why do we have to help ourselves for luncheon?" Sir Carlisle asked. "It's Downton tradition" Lord Grantham said, looking at Sir Carlisle. "They have their feast at lunchtime, and we have ours in the evening" he explained. "Why can't they have their feast earlier and then serve us" he asked. "Because it's Christmas day" Mary said, clearly annoyed with the man. "It's not how we'll do it at Haxby" he said.

"Haxby?" Tommy asked Ophelia. "it's the house closets to us. The Russell family used to reside there, but ever since their son was killed in the war, they didn't see fit for it anymore. They have no other heir, which is why they wanted to sell it" Ophelia said. "Does that happen often?" Tommy asked. "Sometimes, only when there is absolutely no heir, or the family goes bankrupt. But with bankruptcy they often move to a smaller estate like one they would have in London" Ophelia said.

It gave Tommy an idea, perhaps he could buy an old estate, one that Ophelia would be used to. "Oh, this is... what is it?" the dowager asked when she opened her present. "What does it look like?" Isobel asked. "Something getting stones out of horses' hooves?" the dowager said and looked at Tommy, whom she knew had experience with horses. "It's a nutcracker" Isobel said. "We thought you'd like it" she said. "To crack your nuts" she said, and Ophelia smiled at her grandmother's face of disbelief.

"Who else is coming for New Year's Day?" Edith asked. "The usual guns, us and some locals" Lord Grantham said, looking at his daughter as after he looked around the room when he said us. "And Lord Hepworth and the Marquess" Lord Grantham said. "Have you asked Anthony Strallan?" Edith asked. "I did, I gave him three dates, but he said no to all of them. Perhaps he's given it up" her father said. "He seemed so keen before the war" Edith said. "Lots of people seemed keen before, Edith" Ophelia said.

"Perhaps he's had enough banging for one lifetime" the dowager said, glad Strallan wouldn't come anymore. "Banging?" Tommy asked, confused what happened on New Year's Day. "We go hunting, I do hope you can join us, Shelby" Lord Grantham said. "I never been hunting, my lord. But I'd give it my best shot" Tommy said. "Good" Lord Grantham said.

"Why is Lord Hepworth even coming?" the Dowager asked, not able to contain her curiosity. "When I said I was coming here, he kept dropping hint after hint" Rosamund said. "Perhaps he had nowhere else to go, it can be quite lonely" Cora said. "Jinks Hepworth lonely? I find that hard to believe" the dowager said and looked at her son. "Hepworth men don't go in for loneliness much" she said. "Perhaps his plans fell through" Ophelia said. "And it was kind of Aunt Rosamund to invite him here. The more the merrier" she said.

After the luncheon, Ophelia and Tommy walked around the place, to enjoy some time alone because she knew they wouldn't be alone during the holidays. "How has business been?" she asked. "It's been going well. We purchased the Garrison, and Arthur has some ideas to renovate it. Which will be our next order of business" Tommy said. "Arthur does love that pub" Ophelia said. "With Grace gone, we need a new secretary" Tommy said. "You're asking me? I have no idea about business" she said. "No, but you know better than anyone how to handle fancy parties and people." Tommy said. "Marketing?" she asked looking at Tommy. "Marketing is the basic term but yes" Tommy said.

Ophelia nodded. "How would my workdays look like?" she asked. "I want you working at least 5 days in a week, you may choose when. And you'll be paid according by Polly. She handles Treasury and Accountant" Tommy said. "What about my work as a nurse, will I have to give that up?" she asked. "Unfortunately, yes, but I shall assume the illegal business would have need of a nurse as well" Tommy said. "In case of emergencies" she confirmed. "If you don't want to, that is fine" he said.

"Could I think about it? Because I do love being a nurse" Ophelia said. "Of course, think about it as long as you want, darling" Tommy said before they went back to the house, just in time for the gong.

Dinner went by fine, and after they split up again. Just before the men returned Tommy requested to speak with Lord Grantham. "Anything I can help you with?" he asked, looking at the young man who had captured his daughter's heart. "I wanted to ask your daughter's hand in marriage" Tommy said, he wasn't normally nervous. He had faced bigger enemies, but this was Ophelia's father, and she loved her family dearly. Lord Grantham, even though the man was quite snobby and on the more conservative side, looked at the man. "I'm glad you're asking." Lord Grantham said when he looked at Tommy. "As much as I had troubles in the beginning when not one but two of my daughters fell in love with someone they couldn't in my time, I do am glad you ask instead of walking into my drawing room." Lord Grantham said.

"I will still have some issues, and I'll try my best to be more openminded as hard that can be for an English gentleman" Lord Grantham said. "I will try my best to learn more about your way of life, it will always be Ophelia's way of life" Tommy said. "Thank you, and of course. If Ophelia says yes, then you can marry her. I do hope it can be more on my terms" Lord Grantham said. "I leave all the planning to Ophelia" Tommy said, and they joined the others.

"Everything alright?" Ophelia asked. "Everything is fine" Tommy told her and kissed her hand to reassure her. "Good" she said.

After a while everyone went to bed except Ophelia and Tommy. "What did you speak about with my father?" she asked, curious. "I have been planning to do something, and I'm getting closer to my goal and something you deserve" he said. "The same conversation you have had with my grandmother" she said. She felt slightly sad, because she didn't care for any of it. She would have married Tommy with both have less than a pound to their name. "Less than a year" Tommy promised her. "I will hold you to that" she said. "I will see you in the morning" she said, kissing his cheek before leaving for bed.

However, when she was in her room, she kept thinking about everything from the past few months. She opened her door, and sneaked to Tommy's room, before knocking on it. She didn't even bother to undress herself; she didn't even ask Anna to come help her. When Tommy opened the door of the guest bedroom, he was staying in he looked at her in confusion. He had already gotten rid of the fancy suit and changed in his sleep clothes. He let her in, to make sure no one saw them. "Everything alright?" he asked.

"You can't tell me what I deserve" she said looking at him. "I don't care. I would have married you if you had nothing, I don't care about any of that" she said. "I care about you, and I care about your happiness" she said. "I care about you as well. And because I care I want the best for you" Tommy said. "I know, but all I want is you and me" she said. "I would trade my life for you, Tommy" she said. Tommy crossed the space between them and kissed her. "Marry me" Tommy said.

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

2.7M 37.5K 115
*UNDER EDITING* Imagines for your favourite Shelby family (and Alfie!)
458K 11.3K 23
The only person feared more than the Peaky Blinders is Iviana Thorne - Tommy Shelby left for France hopeful and in love, he returned empty only to fi...
38.2K 784 10
The love story of Eve Jesus the preachers daughter and Tommy Shelby.
374K 16.5K 51
( 𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐘 𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐁𝐘 ) 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘪 𝘢𝘮. ( tommy shelby x beatrice price...