Opposites Attract: A Tobecky...

By Stegosaurus997

Number one in - #TEAMWORK #NEVERENDING #WORDGIRL #PBSKIDS #TOBECKY > After finally spending some quality time... More

Unwanted
Passing Notes
Stalking With Purpose
Something Exciting
The Worst Night Ever (Part One)
The Worst Night Ever (Part Two)
Opposites
Liar Liar
Missing
Surprise Visit
New Motives
Update/ Hatred
Mother's Day Out
Life and Death
Subway
Word Up
Hurt
All My Fault
Speechless
How to Find The Good Ones
Mother Mother
Ultimate Sacrifice
Disturbances
I'm Sorry
Kidnapped
Ready Or Not, Here I Come
Reunited
Good News
It's Not The End
Behind The Scenes

The "Becoming Good" Thing

1.5K 54 33
By Stegosaurus997

Carefully Becky lifted the boy up into the air, grabbing onto his arms as gently as she could manage.

Tobey watched as he slowly became weightless. It was such an odd feeling that he never got tired of feeling. This wasn't his first time being flown around by the hero, and deep down he hoped it wouldn't be his last. "So where are we going," he asked, finally looking up.

Becky looked down briefly. "Um... I don't know..." She felt stupid for not having decided that earlier. "Is the ice cream store still open?"

Tobey looked at his watch. "Not for long..."

"What's open then?"

"Umm..." The boy thought for a second before pointing somewhere below. "How about there? "

Becky gazed down to where his finger led. It was a small, in the wall, bakery all lit up with sparkling lights and a bright red "Open Late" sign.

Swiftly, she landed, touching down onto the rough pavement.

Tobey stood up, moving away from her to give her space.

"Have you been here before?" Becky asked, curiously.

He shook his head. "I don't really go much of anywhere."

"I haven't either." She added, hopeful.

Together they looked through the window. Inside of the bakery the city took a different tone. The walls were painted a deep amaranth and were covered in twinkling fairy lights. The glass counter held dozens of fresh pastries, their delicious scent already trailing outside.

Tobey happily pulled the door open, holding it wide for Becky to walk through.

"After you, my dear." He joked, grinning.

Becky pushed him playfully.

A large chalk board instructed them to seat themselves, so they chose a booth towards the window. Instead of using both sides, they opted to use only one.

"Well this is pretty spiffy." Tobey acknowledged, looking around. Becky nodded, noting how he sat with immaculate posture.

The restaurant was nearly empty, but there were still a few other customers drinking coffee on the other side, and Becky noticed them beginning to stare. An odd feeling spread across her as she caught one of their eyes.

Suddenly a woman walked over from behind the counter. She carried a notebook and pen, but tucked the writing utensil into her pocket on the walk over. As she grew closer, Becky noticed the owner tag on her name plate. She stopped next to their table

She had an uncomfortable look on her face and she bit her lip. "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave..."

Becky frowned. "Why?"

"You're making everyone uncomfortable." The woman replied, lowering her notepad. "I can serve you," she said pointing to Becky "-but he has to go."

"Excuse me?" Tobey asked, narrowing his eyes.

"I'm really sorry." The woman rushed, trying to avoid eye contact with the pair.

"That's ridiculous." Becky argued, raising a brow.

"Exactly how are we bothering anyone?" Tobey asked, daring the owner to say more.

""

Becky placed a hand on his in an attempt to get him to calm down. "We're leaving." She announced, standing up from her seat.

Tobey muttered a little, but followed her out the door, only turning to flip the woman off.

Becky appreciated that he felt the same way about the bakery. It was stupid.

Angrily, she pushed open the door, holding it wide for the boy. She stared blankly at the owner as she did so.

Together they walked out and into the street. Neon lights buzzed repeatedly and cars rushed by on the busy road.

Tobey moved ahead, stuffing his hands deep into his pockets.

Glumly, Becky flew them up to the roof of the bakery, finding two crates for them to sit on.

"I'm sorry about her..." She frowned, realizing his sudden change in demeanor.

"It's fine," he frowned, "I can't change the way people think of me... No one just "goes good"."

"I might have told some friends who know my identity about yesterday..." Becky explained, slightly embarrassed, "they didn't believe that you would ever go good either..." She kicked a rock that had been sitting near the crate.

"I told you no one would ever accept me," He frowned, watching the stone fly over the edge of the building. "I guess everyone wants me to be exactly what they expect..." He shrugged. "I don't know. Everything I'm feeling is still new. A few days ago I would have never done anything like this."

"Well I'm glad you're here." Becky admitted, nudging him playfully with her shoulder.

"Thanks," he blushed, giving a light smile before suddenly growing serious once more. "I just don't know what to do anymore." He paused. "I realize that being bad is... " He looked over at Becky who was listening intently. "-uninspiring... but I get the feeling that no one wants me to be anything else and it's infuriating."

Becky sighed, trying to think of a way to respond. "Do you really want to change?"

Tobey shrugged. "I don't know if I can do that..."

"Don't think about what other people want for you. Think about what you want, and what you want to be."

He looked over into Becky's eyes, a blank expression covering his face. "I want to be happy..."

In an instant the world went quiet, and Becky just sat and stared before replying. "For what it's worth..." She looked away. "-I think you would make an awesome hero..."

His eyes suddenly widened in surprise, and Becky suddenly felt as if she had said something wrong.

"I-I mean, you're a really really tough villain, but I just thought that..." She stopped talking after feeling a hand cover her own. It was warm and comforting.

Tobey was now staring at her, his mouth slightly open, and his eyes sparkling. "Thank you." He breathed.

Becky smiled, relieved that he hadn't taken offense.

He then coughed awkwardly, realizing that his stare was a little weird. He tapped his fingers against his knees, choosing to look out over the street below. "So, how would someone go about being good?" He asked casually, acting as if it wasn't as weird a question as it was.

A single car drove by, and they both watched as it slowly rolled past the rain spattered street.

Becky giggled. "Maybe start with trying to make up with people you haven't been so nice to."

"But I don't like them..."

"And you'll have to change that whole mindset," she laughed, watching as he began to smile back. However, it was clear that something was still on his mind.

"So," He began, twiddling his fingers, "if I do this whole... "becoming good thing"," he waved his arms around awkwardly. "Do you think that... us... I mean we could..."

"Get together...?" Becky finished quietly, thinking over the offer. She didn't know what to say, other than she didn't immediately think no.

Tobey looked over at her hopefully.

She smiled, "We'll see."

"Good enough." He replied happily, before yawning. "I think I'm ready to call it a night."

Becky nodded. "Sounds good."

Together the pair stood, stretching their weary legs before walking to the edge of the building. Beneath them people were still walking, despite the time.

Becky grabbed both of Tobey's hands, preparing to lift him gracefully into the sky when a familiar voice suddenly garnered her attention.

"Wordgirl?!"

Quickly she looked back down. "No way..." It was Violet and Scoops, holding hands on the pavement below.

Tobey stepped forward to look as well, causing the two to double back in shock.

"What are you doing with him?!?" Scoops yelled.

Violet's mouth fell open.

Tobey felt his heart sink, and he looked away, dropping Becky's hand. Immediately she picked it back up, giving daggers to the people below.

"He's my friend." She shouted, lacing their fingers together confidently.

He looked back up, surprised. "I'm your friend?"

She nodded.

"Hear that?! I am Wordgirl's personal acquaintance!" He shouted down to the couple, pointing a finger straight at them.

"Calm down..." She whispered, trying to look annoyed at the pair below. "Let's get going."

Violet and Scoops watched as the two soared up into the air.

Becky rolled her eyes as Tobey made finger guns at them.

"That's not exactly good behavior, Tobey."

"I'm still learning," he smiled, excusing himself. "They just sounded like they didn't like you very much..."

Becky nodded. "Yeah, they've been acting differently ever since they started dating."

"I see them in class everyday," Tobey added. "They used to hang out with another girl but they pretty much abandoned her."

"Really?" Becky asked, surprised at his description of her own life.

"They made her partner with me, and... well..." He frowned. "I wasn't very nice to her either, but then she told me that and..." he drifted off.

"And what?"

"I went home..." The boy grimaced, thinking of his mother. Immediately his mind was flooded with all the awful things she had flooded his mind with. "You shouldn't be talking to me."

"What?!"

"I don't know!" He yelled, losing control of his emotions.

"It's okay!" Becky comforted, lifting him into his window. "It doesn't matter if I should or shouldn't be talking to you. That doesn't stop me from wanting to be around you." She looked at him for a moment, taking time to run a hand through his messy blond hair. "When I'm around you I feel like I don't have to be perfect, and I can just be happy... and I want you to be able to feel the same way." She sighed. "I can't fix whatever is broken inside of you, but I want to help, and I'll be here for you... We've fought for so long..." she frowned, placing a hand on his cheek. "I want to be your friend."

"I want to be friends too," He muttered softly before taking a deep breath. "Thank you." He smiled gently.

"You're welcome."

"And thanks for flying me everywhere too."

Becky giggled. "Well technically it was your idea."

"What?"

Swiftly she pulled his drawing out of her utility belt. "It fell out of your pocket..."

Tobey picked up the slip of paper from her hand, looking it over, slightly embarrassed. He blushed awkwardly.

"You're a good artist." She encouraged. "Maybe that proves you can be a good person too." She grinned, knowing that she had proved her point. He was a logical person, and scared that he couldn't do this.

He finally grinned, raising an eyebrow. "You're so weird." he teased, bringing himself back out of his depressed state.

"You're one to talk." She laughed, before giving him a hug. "Goodnight, Tobey."

Shocked, he froze, only wrapping his arms around her after a few moments. Maybe he could be good. If Wordgirl believed in him, then maybe he could do it. "Goodnight," he whispered.

After a few seconds, she pulled away, smiled at him, and then disappeared into the night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 182 56
Third Installment to my other two book's, Webbed Up In Love and The Amazing Spider-Woman. This is the story of Cate in The MCU! Read the story to fin...
1.9K 92 5
After a science experiment gone wrong, there's a new Spider-Man in town. What happens when he meets the Scarlet Witch?
78.1K 1.9K 12
Spidey oneshots. Not too good but like. It's the best in can do. I dont have a posting schedule so be prepared for months where I dont post lmao
1.5K 117 48
❝𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐫, 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞?❞ Tamsyn Callahan wants to end it all. Living...