Love Story || On Hold

By dedicated_maraudee

In which an old friend of the Bridgerton family returns to London for the debutante season, and shocks them i... More

Love Story
2 - Callers
3 - Opera House
4 - Bridgerton Dinner
5 - Vauxhall Ball
6 - Promenading
7 - Mother Dearest
8 - Business

1 - Danbury Ball

1K 38 2
By dedicated_maraudee

{Chapter One}
"Fine, Lord Bridgerton I bid you adieu!"

According to the much heralded poet Lord Byron: Of all bitches, dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine.
If that should be true, then this author would like to show you her
teeth...

My name is Lady Whistledown. You
do not know me, and you never shall. But if you are currently reading these papers of record, then rest assured: I certainly know you...

Perhaps one resides within the
household of a certain Baron Featherington. Should one have a bracket for a face?
Three misses. Foisted upon the
marriage market this season like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless dear mama -- the luckless souls...

Or perhaps one is more fortunate.
Admirably proportioned, impressively refined? Then perhaps... One is a Bridgerton...
A total of eight children in this
most prolific of broods. The rather industrious viscountess and late viscount having produced four perfectly handsome sons and four perfectly beautiful daughters. Yes. Perfect, indeed.

Unlike Lady Featherington, the
widowed Lady Bridgerton has only one daughter on the market this year. Her eldest darling, the season's forthcoming diamond, Miss Daphne Bridgerton..

However may Daphne Bridgerton be overshadowed by a rumoured debutante, Miss Cordelia Moore whom no doubt shall be a great competitor for the highest regarded suitor.

Grosvenor Square. The sixth of
April, 1813. A frenzied sight outside the Bridgerton and Featherington homes on this most momentous of occasions...

For today is the day London's
marriage-minded misses shall be presented to Her Majesty the Queen...
A much anticipated day, when dreams
shall finally be achieved. Hopes, fully realized...
And courses of lives, changed.
For the better. One hopes.

One's triumph at the palace today
invariably signifies one's success on the marriage mart tomorrow...

Pray, it is the Queen who shall
keep the fashionable world apprised of a lady's single most valuable and desirable asset: her reputation.
As such, any lady failing to secure
the court's glowing endorsement shall endure the consequences...

And not just from Her Majesty...

...But from me.
For I have at my disposal a most
powerful weapon that even the Queen lacks. My pen.

Cordelia Moore was sat in her carriage at the side of the road. Her mother was stiffly sat silently next to her, slowly and awkwardly fanning herself. Cordelia was dressed impeccably in a white gown with gold detailing fit for presenting herself in front of the queen, for that was where she was supposed to be.

The two women had set of in the morning to arrive with plenty of time before facing her majesty. But on the way, Cordelia's nerves that were eating up her stomach took over and she called for the driver to halt, and they had been stalled like that ever since.

Her shoulders were feeling weighed down beyond belief with all the pressure from her mothers and the pressure she was putting on herself. Cordelia was attempting to be perfect as every other girl preparing themselves. But perfect wasn't truly a word suitable in Cordelia's vocabulary -her mother would certainly agree. In a state of anxiety, Cordelia had pulled her hair out of the insanely tight updo and blissfully let the curls run down her back, tickling the bare skin on her neck.

Their driver had been patiently waiting, minding his own business entirely, leaving him to only admire his surrounding.

In truth, Cordelia was not ready. She was not at all ready to be judged. After what she had been through recently, she was not in a good mental state. The slight worry she had for seeing the Bridgerton's again was also causing her a great issue. Cordelia knew that Daphne was being presented, meaning that the rest of the Bridgerton family would be there. Which was another thing Cordelia was not ready for.

Edith sighed heavily, checking the time once again as she tutted. "We have missed the presentation." She stated simply, not bothering to hide her disappointment as she looked her daughter up and down. "You looked wonderful, and it is all for a waste."

Cordelia squeezed her eyes shut. She hated when her mother was snippy with her, but it seemed to be a constant choice of her mothers. "Mama I apologise but I-" She started, but quickly cut herself off when she heard the sound of carriages passing by. Cordelia pushed herself forward to glance out of the window. She watched as a carriage that belonged to the Featherington's passed, and then quickly shrunk back into her seat as she spotted Daphne at the window of the other.

"Cordelia do not slouch." Edith hissed, gesturing for her to straighten up her posture, leading by example. "Oh I do wish you were more like your sister."

Cordelia subtly rolled her eyes. "Thank you mama." She snarked, but quickly changed her tone after receiving a furious glare from her mother. "Florence and I are simply not the same." Cordelia offered and left the conversation at that.

Edith told the driver to take them home and stayed silent after that. The two women didn't utter a single word during the journey home. Edith didn't even bother to make snide remarks or judgmental comments. As soon as the carriage pulled to a halt in front of the house, Edith stalked out the carriage leaving Cordelia left alone inside.

Cordelia immediately pulled the carriage door shut along with the curtains. In an attempt for some privacy. She needed a minute alone, without eyes on her.

She let out a deep breath, as much as she could considering the corset cinched tightly around her waist, and inhaled slowly. "Do not do this." She muttered to herself under her breath and pushed her hair behind her shoulders. Taking a quick look out the window, and checking the coast was clear, Cordelia stepped out of the carriage and walked into the house.

The silence and eeriness of the house still effected Cordelia. Before leaving she was used to her family always being together. Eating their meals together and entertaining themselves as a group.

The family of five had only moved to the London a few years prior to the death of Cordelia's father. The family kept to themselves in the country despite their high social status. They only started taking part in the social season when their eldest daughter (Florence) was of age to be a debutante.

That was the year the Moore's and Bridgerton's finally met and for Cordelia it was fast friendships all around.

The season's opening ball at
Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation indeed. For every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street knows, if anyone can throw a crush of a party -- it's Lady Danbury

Tonight, the answers to our most urgent of questions will finally
be revealed...

Which bachelors might forsake
their terribly rakish ways for
the exquisite blisses of matrimony instead?

Which ladies shall forever capture
their hearts? Thereby securing their futures. And avoiding the grim, dismal condition known as a spinster.

And shall one Lady Featherington
finally resist bedecking her misses in the most unflattering of colors? Or will she have them appear as only the most undesirable pieces
of overripe citrus fruit, once again...

Cordelia's personal maid, Ellis Fenton, was moving frantically while trying to get the girl ready. Edith had instructed many of the other maids to help get her daughter ready, claiming it would 'Take a lot of work' to do so.

Cordelia just let the maids do whatever they needed to and followed their wishes. She truly wasn't bothered with how she would look for the ball, she was far more focused on battling the temptations of running in the opposite direction. Which wouldn't be very lady-like at all.

After being bathed and made up, Cordelia stood as Ellis tightened the corset around her waist and chest. Cordelia always hated corsets, no matter how nice they made her look, they had many consequences. After tightening it to satisfaction, Ellis revealed the gown Edith had chosen and she helped Cordelia into said gown.

It was an off-white gown with simple detailing up the dress. In Cordelia's eyes it was simple enough, in her hopes to lower the attention that would inevitably be on her. She figured if she blended in, unlike the Featherington's, she would be better off.

Of course that solution held no merit.

With Cordelia's older brother off travelling, her mother was let to escort her to the balls of the season. She couldn't deny that it stung a little, not having her father there by her side. But, there was nothing she could do about it. Instead both female Moore's shoved down their pain and attended the first ball of the season, arm in arm.

Cordelia was careful and made sure that they would arrive after a fair amount of time had passed. When the pair arrived, there was already couples dancing and suitors trying to meet women to start courting them.

Cordelia let out a shuddered breath as they stepped into the crowd. They were currently hidden in the crowd, giving Cordelia time to prepare herself. Edith looked to her side and noticed the girls anxiousness. She squeezed Cordelia's hand and tried her best to be reassuring. Something she had never been good at.

It wasn't long at all until people took notice of the girl and started to circle. A few men tried to converse with Cordelia, but somehow she managed to luckily get out of it every time.

However it seemed her luck was wearing out.

Cordelia smiled politely at the suitor opposite her, nodding her head as she pretended to listen to him ramble on and boast about his minuscule achievements. It seemed to be a recurring theme in the men she had spoken to. They were all arrogant and full of themselves.

As a reflex as the male came nearer, Cordelia took a step back and bumped into someone behind. She immediately turned around to apologise, but her words died in her throat and her eyes widened.

Anthony and Daphne stared back in the same shock, although it was more extreme than Cordelia's. She had been waiting, although trying to avoid it, to bump into them at some point.

"Cordelia!" Daphne exclaimed, her voice high in surprise as she straight away moved to give the girl a hug.

Cordelia was still stiff as Daphne wrapped their arms around her. After a second, Cordelia reciprocated the hug and let out a sigh of relief.

Daphne pulled back, keeping ahold of Cordelia's shoulders to get a good look at her. "My, Cordelia! I was not expecting you here. What a pleasant surprise." Daphne grinned, looking to her side where Anthony stood. "Isn't that right, Anthony?"

Anthony shook his head, presumably to shake of the astonishment. "Hmm yeah." He hummed, still not a hundred percent believing what he was seeing.

Daphne frowned at her brother before turning back to face Cordelia. "You are here? To take part in the social season?" She questioned, sounding a little unsure with her question.

Cordelia slowly nodded. "Yes I am." She revealed hesitantly, avoiding Anthony's gaze. "I cannot run from marrying anymore." Cordelia added, trying to force herself to sound positive.

Daphne nodded in understanding and finally let go of Cordelia. "It is seeming to be more challenging than I initially thought. Anthony is rather strict with his choices of approval." Daphne sulked, telling Cordelia which made the girl smile.

"I am ensuring a suitable match for you sister." Anthony defended, sending his sister a soft glare. "You should count yourself lucky. Miss Moore does not seem to have that option."

Cordelia couldn't deny that Anthony's words felt like a slap to the face, but she didn't let it show. Her lips twitched into a frown for a split second but were back into a small smile in an instance.

"Anthony! Daph!" Benedict called out, approaching his sibling. He paused in his step as he took note of the additional member of the small clump. "Delia, is that you?" He chuckled, smiling widely at the girl.

Colin who was following behind Benedict, clapped his brother on the shoulder. "I deem it to be." He marvelled, sending the girl in question a kind smile.

"Eloise will be beyond excited to hear of your return." Daphne stated kindly. She looked to her right and made a gesture. "My mama has already found yours." She noted and grinned at Edith.

The two mothers glided through the ballroom and over to their children. Violet spared Anthony a glance, having noticed his coldness. "My dear girl, what a delightful surprise! You must join us for dinner at once." She expressed, looking the girl over.

"Yes, it would be a pleasure." Cordelia agreed sweetly, brandishing a warm and sincere to smile.

"You would have known Cordelia was back, if she had not missed the presentation to her majesty." Edith passive aggressively stated, "Oh, Daphne your grace exceeds you." She complimented, then sent her daughter a look as if to chastise her for not being like Daphne.

"Ah yes, why did you not attend the presentation?" Violet asked politely.

Before Cordelia even had the chance to speak for herself, her mother cut in. "For a moment I was concerned Cordelia was changing her mind. However she is here, and looking for a husband."

"I never thought I would hear those words." Benedict quipped cheekily and sent a wink to Cordelia.

"My notions have indeed changed." Cordelia muttered, not at all looking happy with what she was saying. "I'm parched." She randomly noted aloud, nodding her head in thanks to the Bridgerton's, and slowly backed away from the ground, finding her escape route.

Cordelia walked straight past the drinks table and out of the ballroom. She kept looking back over her shoulder as she walked leading her to bump into someone. "I am truly sorry." She uttered but didn't stop walking, she only paused when she got outside and away from any large windows.

Cordelia inhaled the fresh air and tried to use it to soothe her breathing. Her heart was beating a mile and minute which was making it difficult for her to think clearly.

"Cordelia." Anthony spoke coldly, calling out to her from where he stood about a metre away.

Cordelia jumped, her hand clutching at her chest. "Must you scare me?" She quipped, turning to face him.

"Must I scare you?" Anthony repeated emphasising his words. "You scared me. You left without uttering a word."

"Anthony-"

"It's Lord Bridgerton." He snapped bitterly, even though he missed hearing his name from her lips. "We should not even be out here alone- together." He muttered as if he was just realising in that moment which he was.

Seeing Cordelia in flesh and blood spun his mind on an axis, which made him even angrier at her. He hated the way she made him think, or better yet not think. It had always been that way and he was sure it always would.

Anthony was beyond upset when Cordelia never appeared with the Moore's to dinner that one night. The one night, when his heart was ripped from his chest.

He hated more than he could ever express, that he still felt something towards the girl even after she unintentionally hurt him.

There had just been too much between the two of them. There was too much history.

"As if that would matter now." Cordelia scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest, instantly going into a defensive mode after Anthony snapped. Cordelia then paused and watched Anthony for a split second. Her arms dropped to her sides and her voice returned to a more soothing tone. "It was never my intention to scare you."

"Well you did!" Anthony replied forcefully and snappily. He stepped forward in his anger and continued to do so.

"Anthony-" Cordelia softly whispered, feeling the guilt weighing on her heart along with the grief that she had still not dealt with.

"Lord Bridgerton." He spat venomously, clenching his fists at his sides.

"Fine, Lord Bridgerton I bid you adieu!" Cordelia snapped herself, balling her gown in her hands so she could storm away. She kept her head held high as she passed, waiting until she was out of eyeshot to let out a sniffle.

Cordelia gently patted under her right eye, stopping the tears before they fell from the outer corner of her eye. Taking a second to compose herself, Cordelia couldn't help but focus on the hurt she was feeling.

Knowing that Edith would be looking for her, Cordelia re-entered the ballroom, forcing a smile as she glided through the room, just in time to witness Daphne bumping into the Duke.

Cordelia left it alone, having being angrily gestures over by her mother who was chatting away to potential suitors.

"Ah, here she is. My darling daughter." Edith spoke with a false happiness as she clutched Cordelia's arms tightly. "Cordelia, this is Lord Griffiths." Her mother introduced the pair, gleaming at the man.

Cordelia titled her head at the man in introduction which received a grunt of disapproval from her mother. Cordelia glanced to her mother before curtsying deeply at the Lord, whom let out a chuckle at the sight.

Edith sighed heavily and pulled her daughter up, squeezing her arms tightly. Cordelia suppressed her wince and awkwardly smiled at the Lord.

Yeah it was a long night...

________

Cordelia dress is at the top in the picture thingy ma bob. Like the very top thing, each chapter will most likely have one there!

Forgot to include earlier but:

James McAvoy as Lord Griffiths
{The Potential Suitor}

"I find you most amusing, Miss Moore."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

796K 18.1K 35
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, is a beacon of regality, yet beneath her crown lies a woman determined to defy the conventional expectations o...
22.3K 693 13
The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn, Charlotte and Benedict Bridgerton, find themselves on the brink of new adventures as they confront the c...
39.3K 1K 17
𝐷𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑅𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑠, I have been sharping my quills in preparation for this years social season; which I ensure will be filled with as much...
15.2K 306 24
Belle Whitmore, daughter of the dowager Viscountess Whitmore, is about to turn 18 and thus will finally be able to enter the matchmaking market of Lo...