Amasa

De wordtyper

A young Princess in precolonial Zimbabwe has many obstacles to face before she can taste freedom. Will the we... Mai multe

Chapter One- A hidden life
Chapter two- Anticipation
Chapter three- The questioning
Chapter four- Royal anxiety
Chapter five- Chioneko, my beauty
Chapter Six- keep it quiet
Chapter seven- A snake in the grass
Chapter eight- love or lie
Chapter nine- mourning festivities
Chapter ten- Good intentions
Chapter eleven- Evening butterflies
Chapter twelve- Internal struggles
Chapter thirteen- Fleeting secrets
Chapter fourteen- The loathe of a man
Chapter fifteen- Questionable interactions
Chapter sixteen- Storm before the calm
Chapter seventeen - Mixed emotions
Chapter eighteen - Winnowing chaff
Chapter nineteen- Simmering conversations
Chapter twenty-Mending relations
Chapter Twenty One- Chasing love
Chapter Twenty Two- Murky relations
Chapter Twenty Three- Forever trepidation
Chapter Twenty Four- Dimming lights
Chapter Twenty Five- Inevitable Changes

Chapter Twenty Six- Arbitrament Preparations

33 2 0
De wordtyper

The request for my return to Pokoda only worsened my relations with Narufu. Unimpressed by my hard efforts to learn Shintu and to become one of their own, he had disregarded me. He claimed that I was a tainted river, that one would only be poisoned by trying to cleanse and drink from it. Runesu had heard of my decision through the out roar that had previously happened at King Narufu's counsel meeting that evening and she had made her way down to Menhe and Bule's homestead by dawn.

I was to be accompanied by Menhe back to Pokoda and prayed to the heavens that I would be welcomed back to Pokoda with minimum hostility. Menhe had informed me of Father's illness of some sort, letting Rima taking over the throne... only motivating me more to go back to be with him, I was all he had left. Stuffing Shintu wrapping material into the now worn out leather bag I once used to escape Pokoda, I gently placed my few belongings into the tattered sac.

Leaving the low round hut, I ducked out and as soon as I stepped out, my eyes met Runesu's  in the blueness of dawn. She extended her arms, holding out a freshly sown skin sack.

"It would be better to go with your belongings in your hands than use that old bag."

She cheeklily stated. Quietly reaching out to get the new bag from her grasp, I nodded her way to show my gratitude and she took hold of my wrist.

"Amasa... Please do not leave me like this."

Runesu pleaded in a weak voice.

"I am going back to my Father, he is all I have."

"You are all I have! Please don't go."

Runesu's voice cracked with emotion and she started to cry unapologetically.

Holding her in a tight embrace and she hugging me back, I held back my tears.

"He needs me more."

"I said I was sorry Amasa! You do not need to do this!"

Her sadness developed into anger.

"It is not only about that and you know that Runesu. I do not belong here, even after changing my entirety this past season, I am still not enough."

A tear escaped and fell down my cheek.

"I may never have true happiness without you in Pokoda, but I will  have acceptance, I am so sorry Runesu but I need to go."

Runesu pulled me in tightly and sobbed harder.

"It is all my fault."

"It was never our fault, we did not ask to be born in this mess."

Pulling out of her embrace, I stared straight into her eyes and smiled.

"You are the best thing the heavens have given to me, my own blood who fought, sacrificed and cared for me, for that I love you and give you my heart. I will never forget you. You will constantly remain in my mind. Every memory I will have will always be entangled with those that I once had with you...stay strong for me, you are royalty."

She smiled slightly. I continued consoling her.

"To change, I need to deliberately make different decisions."

Hugging me one last time, caressing me with all the love she could, she finally dropped her arms beside her, at length letting me go.She stared at me and mustered up her voice to speak back.

"Goodbye Amasa."

............................................

Menhe had been watching from the distance, nodding my way to tell me that it was time to go. Runesu  she smiled at me then broke down into tears, collapsing to the ground as she wailed out loud. I walked away.

After bidding a due to Bule and kissing her son Zuva for the first and last time, I began walking away from my The Shintu settlement. I was walking away from the heritage and the ties that refuted me to float when others were swimming. I had to go.

The walk to Pokoda was extremely painful and difficult. Menhe would encourage me when we got to difficult terrain to push forward and remember the greater outcome that was to be anticipated. Narufu offered no aiding of a carriage or a team of shintu men for protection, he continued to refute my acknowledgement. The nights were extremely painful, the cold burrowed deep into my bones, unbearable even near the fire.

 Menhe did not spare much time to hunt, we ate enough to gather strength. The meals weren't the most memorable, having to leave the remainders for the wildlife to devour so that we did not get weighed down by baggage.

Menhe and I only spoke during meals. He focused on our protection and coverage of distance during most of the day... having little time to spare for small talk. He unintentionally reclined into his quiet nature when he wasn't probed by Bule to interact.

Approaching the Tiramu river bank in the early morn, Menhe asked me if I wanted to sit down and take a break. Pokoda was near. I sat down and he sat next to me. I had missed water. I scooted closer to the water edge and let the cool liquid seep in between my toes as I wiggled them.

"You shouldn't be too comfortable near the water, crocodiles would have found easy prey."

"This water if fresh Menhe, don't worry."

Staying alert, Menhe's body tensed as he sat up straight, scanning the water for the slightest form of movement."

"Relax Menhe, nothing will happen to me, I promise."

Looking at Menhe, I smiled as I translated his over protection as anxiety of my return to Pokoda.

"I will be fine near the water... I will also be fine back in Pokoda, you will be fine too."

"I have no guarantee of that. We can go back my Princess, I will raise you as my own with Zuva. We can be your family."

I didn't feel emotional however, I felt my eyes dampen and my eyelids start to flicker, holding back the tears.

"You will always be my family Menhe. I am only doing this to find who I am. I have to do that alone."

"That is not true, community is there to guide you, no matter how small your community is. Mine was of one person."

Menhe replied.

"I agree with you to some extent, but do realize that my life was all about community and it cost me my individuality in the tribe...tribes."

Embracing Menhe as I laid my hand on top of his, I smiled.

"I am ready to lead a path of my own, hopefully it will be as legendary as yours."

Menhe smirked as his eyes glimmered.

"Let me not hold you back to the greatness that I know you are destined for, let us go."

Walking into the village was surprisingly easy, there were no warriors to grant the villagers protection from external dangers, disconcerted from two people walking into Pokoda territory as they were dressed in Shintu attire. It was quite puzzling. It had only been a few seasons, however the village wall looked tired and ram shackled, cracked granite blocks were not renewed and climbers were growing freely at their will.

 Making our way to Runesu's abandoned hut on the outskirt of the village, Menhe helped me to push the wooden door open and begin to clean the hut back to a livable condition. That evening I was quiet from confusion... the village was so different, no one seemed to care what took place, only receiving suspicious glances as we walked in and nothing more, I replayed my return back into Pokoda over and over again in my mind as I lay down on the hut's ground floor with my head on my fur shawl for support.

The fire developed interesting shadows on the wall of the hut, allowing sparks to escape from the heart of the flame from time to time, giving me something to focus on as I counted  them fleeing their home. I heard Menhe push the stuck door once again and did not attempt to roll over to see him.

"You didn't have to hunt tonight, I am not hungry...I have to learn how to fend for myself soon anyway."

"Well you'll have to be careful with who enters your house if you are to live alone."

Abruptly turning as I heard a male voice that did not belong to Menhe, I sat up to face a strong male figure, in the light of the fire.

"Is that you...?It cannot be you Chima!!!"

Standing up to embrace Chima in a hug, I was surprised when he felt unbalanced from the force of me lunging onto him. Hugging me back and gently steadying himself, I noticed a sword scar on his lower abdomen, probably from Menhe. Noticing my attention on his stomach, Chima initiated conversation.

"It isn't from Menhe, I am almost fully recovered so do not concern yourself too much. May I please take a seat."

"My apologies Chima, I was still trying to grasp that you are alive..please take a seat."

Spreading my shawl on the empty hut floor, I encouraged Chima to sit on it, and I ssiiting next to him after he got comfortable. Out of words to say to him, I allowed myself to sit in silence as I looked down.

"You know that you can initiate conversation now, you are one of us. You do not need approval to say what is on your mind."

"I am sorry, it is a force of habit, you are the first interaction I have had besides Menhe back here in Pokoda."

I responded as I rubbed my palms together and entangled my fingers from nervousness.

"You have not seen King Toga yet?"

I chuckled, I was not going to try enter any Royal settlement for a while.

"I do not want to go to the palace, besides...I am now considered as an outsider and cannot walk up that mountain at will."

Chima gave me a puzzled look.

"It seems that you are still in the dark on all matters."

"What do you mean?"

Chima sighed as he placed his hand over mine. My breathing quickened from his gentle embrace, my body tingling, unable to comprehend my inner response from a simple gesture, I continued to talk to try calm down.

"Does he know that I came back? Did he ask for me?'

Slowly Shaking his head, Chima looked as if he was finding it difficult to respond to my questions.

"He doesn't know anyone anymore Amasa, he has become mentally ill and does not remember a single soul. He lost his sanity when Rima threw him off the throne and when he seemed to be getting better, he woke up one day with no recollection of who he was or who was around him. I am sorry that you had to find out this way."

"Where is he now?"

"He stays with Chief Moyo and his family at their out stead."

"I have to see him, father needs me."

Holding my wrist and gently pulling me back down as I attempted to stand up, Chima reprimanded me.

"Amasa you just got here! And you will be here for a long time to take care of him right?"

"Yes."

"So sit down and take time for yourself, Chief Moyo has been more than capable to take care of his brother."

My identity as the only daughter who knew how to soothe father's pain away was gone. I was hit by the realization that other people could equally be competent to love Toga. I had to learn to love myself the same way I loved others.

"Sit down Amasa... I have barely had time to talk to you."

Sheepishly sitting down, I did not know how to act, I had always run away from interaction by busying myself in minor duties and tasks. Chima was here now. I had no excuse to run, he could see all of me and I was forced for the real me to be seen. Not a princess ,daughter,sister or worker, just Amasa.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"I don't know, anything you would like to know or say. Whatever crosses your  mind."

Chima smiled.

"Where you in battle recently? Why do you have that wound?"

Chima sighed before he calmly responded.

"Vabhebhe was sentenced to be hung when Toga found out that he  helped you escape by preparing your herbal concoction.... I succored him and his family run away as soon as I came back from the old empire. Unfortunately for me the Pokoda warrior who caught me aggressively speareed me where I had previously  stabbed by Menhe. I am lucky to be alive. The ancestors must really want me to live."

I giggled at how lightly Chima spoke of his close encounters with death, twice.

"How can you be laughing at such Chima, you could be under the soil in a cave somewhere right now."

"But I am not."

I smiled.

"I only hope to be as strong as you someday, I am a bit scared of starting my life all by myself, especially with all that has changed."

"Change is good, if nothing changed you would not be here right now. You would not be free."

"I suppose you are right."

"I am. You are wrong about one thing though."

I wondered what Chima could mean.

"And what is that?"

"You are not starting your new life alone, I am right here starting afresh as well right next to you."

"Thank you Chima, that means the heavens to me."

Moving closer beside me, Chima swung his his arm over my shoulders, hesitantly laying his arm down on my flesh. Looking intently into my eyes, his eyes squinted as he smiled. Sitting in comfortable silence, we heard the fire crackle as it warmly glistened on our skin.

"Do not worry my Princess, we will be alright."

....................................................................................................

Hello my Jelly babies🤗

We have reached the end! I am always so grateful for the love and support, thank you.❤️

Remember to stay shining and living your best lives because you are worth it!!!🙊

My heart always melts when I think about my journey as a writer and all of your support. Amasa was my very first novel and who knows, it may not be my last.

If you want to be great, remember that Wordtyper told you that it is never too late to be.😉

Xoxo

Wordtyper Out.

.............................................................................................................

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

40.9K 9.1K 35
Twenty-six-year-old Kasiemobi Ejindu knows something sinister has been moving on with her for as long as she could recall even though she's oblivious...
30.4K 5.8K 55
After so many years away from the country because of past experiences and also for educational reasons, Jessica Mark Ifeanyi returns back to Nigeria...
18.6K 1.6K 34
Dive into the intriguing story of two strangers from northern Nigeria, united in an arranged marriage, with unique love stories and heartbreaks, they...
67.2K 4.8K 92
A random story. Hope you enjoy!