Darkest of Times [Albert J Mo...

By FreyaSunbeam

A chance encounter after her performance at the theatre sparks something inside Albert, something he's never... More

Disclaimer
Prologue
Act 1, Scene 1 - The Meeting
Act 1, Scene 2 - After the Review
Act 1, Scene 3 - Carriage Ride For Two
Act 2, Scene 1 - The Plan
Act 2, Scene 2 - The Ball
Act 2, Scene 3 - A Chance Encounter
Act 2, Scene 4 - The Crescendo
Act 3, Scene 1 - The Almost
Act 3, Scene 2 - Palace Scheming
Act 4, Scene 1 - The Riddle
Act 4, Scene 3 - A Criminal Encounter
Act 4, Scene 4 - The Phone Call
Act 4, Scene 5 - The Surprising Twist
Act 5, Scene 1 - The Knight's Speech
Act 5, Scene 2 - The Downfall
Act 5, Scene 3 - A Favour
Act 5, Scene 4 - The Night Before
Act 6, Scene 1 - The Next Day
Act 6, Scene 2 - The Days After
Act 6, Scene 3 - The One's Left
Act 6, Scene 4 - The Bridge
Act 6, Scene 5 - The Truth
The Last Scene - A Final Encounter

Act 4, Scene 2 - The Distrust

494 26 6
By FreyaSunbeam

Dear Albert,

I arrived in Paris yesterday and as I'm only here for a week, I decided to send this letter to you quickly. My hotel is by the river Seine and opposite the Eiffel Tower. I can confidently say that the paintings don't do the marvellous landmark justice and I'm excited to explore the city.

My audition is in two days' time but I'm to meet the Director beforehand for some tea and it's a chance to brush up on my French as I've not spoken it for quite some time.

I didn't have the chance to tell you before I left for my trip, but I finally got a positive review of my performance as Lady Macbeth. Although this is only the first, hopefully, it's the first of many.

After our many conversations, I believe that your encouraging words are what have influenced me to fully amerce myself in my role and play the character more freely. Thank you, Albert, I only hope that your support will continue and I want to stand by your side and support you in return.

This trip is also making me wish that I was spending it with you, Paris is the city of love after all. See you once I return.

I can't wait - Your Eleanor.

~

A hand to his breast pocket, Albert feels the outline of the letter and smiles to himself.

"What is it, Albert?" William asks.

Turning to his brothers, Albert raises his eyebrows, waving a hand. "It's no matter. I was simply reminded of the fact that Eleanor will be returning from her trip to Paris in two days."

"This woman again?" Louis' brows furrow into a scowl. "Brother, we have more pressing matters to attend to—"

"Calm it down, Louis," William chuckles. "Our brother is more than capable of carrying out his tasks as well as enjoying the company of Miss Eleanor."

Albert shakes his head, the three stopping at the door. "You needn't worry yourself, Louis. I understand my role in our plan and I assure you that nothing will be compromised."

"Does she know?" Louis questions.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Does she know about what we're doing? Have you told her?" Louis presses further.

"Louis, what has gotten into you?" William asks, red eyes widening.

Albert blinks. "Louis, where is this coming from? Do you not trust me?"

"It's not you, brother, i-it's—" Louis falters. "It's this woman you speak so fondly of. Suddenly she's all you talk about and it's as if our plans aren't of the utmost importance to you anymore. Sorry for my abruptness."

Sighing, Albert places a hand on Louis' shoulder. "I apologise if I made it seem that way, but it's the opposite. It's because I'm becoming more fond of Eleanor by the day that I'm fuelled to further push our plans. I realise now just why I wanted us to collapse the class system and that is to create a fair and equal London for all of us and for her."

William nods. "We understand your intentions, Albert. Thank you for saying so."

"And I would say that the meeting with Mycroft went rather well," Albert turns to look behind them. "Wouldn't you say, Irene Adler?"

The other two turn as she follows a few paces behind the brothers. Dressed in blue, Irene looks up from the brim of her matching hat atop her bright blonde hair, a somewhat relieved look on her face.

"What now?" She asks in a hushed tone.

"You will return to our hideout and await further instructions," William informs her. "You've done well."

Nodding to the door, Albert reaches into his pocket for his pocket watch. "Take her to the carriage outside the back entrance. I must discuss my next meeting with Director Holmes with his secretary before we leave."

"You won't be long, will you Albert?" William asks, Albert humming in response.

The three discreetly leave out the side door and Albert straightens his blazer and vest. He opens another door out into the long red-carpeted corridor. Raising his eyes from the floor, he's taken aback as he sees someone leave Mycroft's office.

"Mr Williams?"

Eleanor's father Phillip looks up from his paperwork over his glasses. "Lord Moriarty, what a pleasure."

"Likewise, but please call me Albert." He smiles, motioning to the paperwork in his arms. "Can I be of assistance taking these with you to your office?"

"I couldn't ask you to help." Phillip shakes his head.

The door to Mycroft's office opens again and Moneypenny walks out, eyes wide as she sees Albert.

In the presence of Phillip, Moneypenny clears her throat and smiles innocently as she adjusts her circular glasses. "Lord Moriarty. I didn't expect to see you here."

"Celine, I needed to ask for the briefing of my next meeting with Mr Holmes," Albert explains. "We're due to see each other in a few days."

Sifting through the paperwork in her arms, Moneypenny pulls out a piece of paper and Albert accepts it. "These are the briefing notes, he needs those documents to be brought as well. We'll see you then."

She sends him a quick nod before she's on her way down the corridor. Eleanor's father raises his eyebrows.

"You're busy, Albert, not that I expected anything less seeing how hard you work. Especially since the workload we experienced a few weeks back."

"Has Eleanor been in recently to help?" Albert asks, rushing forward to grab a falling file from Phillip's arms.

"Thank you," Phillip nods ahead and they begin to walk down the corridor. "Not for a while, she's been busy. But the play is due to finish in a few shows time and then she waits to hear about this Paris trip."

Albert walks beside Phillip. "From the letter she sent me, she seems to be having a good time."

Smiling to himself, Phillip nods. "I see. I'm glad to hear it."

They walk in silence for a moment, heading towards Phillip's office, when he huffs a laugh.

"Excuse me, I was simply thinking," He tells Albert. "You don't have to accept my offer."

Eyebrows raised, Albert stops as Phillip pulls out the keys to his office. "What is your offer, Sir?"

He fumbles with his keys, looking over his reading glasses perched on his nose. "Eleanor returns from her trip in two days."

Albert chuckles. "I would be lying if I said I wasn't counting down the days, Mr Williams."

Phillip turns the key in the lock, nudging the door open. "How about you have dinner with us on the eve of her return, Albert?"

"Are you sure, Sir?" He raises his brows. "I haven't formally asked yet, but..."

"But?" Phillip asks as he trails off.

Walking inside the office after him, Albert runs a hand through his wavy hair. "Sir, I wish to ask if I'm able to court with your daughter. I care for her greatly, she does know this herself, but I'm afraid that I haven't approached you explicitly with that thought in mind."

Phillip places the paperwork on the desk, taking the stack from Albert's arms. "Lord Moriarty, the fact that you were concerned you hadn't asked me formally shows that your true intentions are genuine."

Albert nods his head respectfully. "Thank you."

"However, as I know my daughter has said before," Phillip raises a finger. "She doesn't wish to find a husband through my account and I'm sure it doesn't concern her if her mother was to approve or not, she would do it anyway. Nonetheless, I certainly approve and encourage any further developments that may happen."

"I understand." Albert smiles, turning on his heel as he walks over to the door.

"Oh and Albert?"

He turns back around as he opens the door. "Yes, Sir?"

"My daughter has truly been herself in your company, I know that her intentions are the same as yours as well."

A nod from Phillip sends Albert on his way and he pulls the handle of the door closed. Straightening his vest and blazer, he walks back down the way they came to meet his brothers and Irene waiting outside.

She may be herself, but he fears he's not been completely honest with her in return.

-

A few days later, Eleanor is back home from her trip, a spring in her step and a permanent smile on her face.

The trip had been a success; both her journey to and from Paris went well, the director liked her take on the role she'd auditioned for and she'd had the opportunity to see where the play would take place in a few months. All she has to do now is wait to hear if she has the part in the play that will run for a few months.

"Why are you so happy?" Her mother questions.

Eleanor brushes her off. "Life is going very well, mother."

"She's happy, dear," Phillip mutters, looking up briefly from his newspaper as he sits in an armchair in front of the fire.

Grinning, Eleanor perches on the arm of his chair, kissing the top of his head.

"And why is Margaret making so much for supper?" Her mother crosses her arms.

"We're expecting a guest, Katherine," He tells her.

Eleanor raises her eyebrows. "Who are you expecting, father?"

As if on cue, there's a knock at the door and Phillip folds his newspaper up. "That'll be the guest."

"Answer it, Margaret!" Her mother calls out.

Eleanor rolls her eyes, mumbling under her breath. "Do you have to be so rude?"

"Speak up, Eleanor," Her mother frowns.

The door is opened by Margaret and a smile appears on the older woman's face. "Good evening, Sir,"

Dressed in his usual attire, his luscious hair swept back with his hat tucked under his arm, Albert nods his head.

"Good evening, thank you for having me."

"Please, come in." Margaret stands to the side, arms out to take his coat and hat.

"No need, but thank you," He smiles, placing them on the coat rack by the door himself.

Practically swooning from his politeness, Margaret bows and motions for him to follow after her.

"Mr Williams, your guest is here."

Walking into the living room after Margaret, Albert's hands are tucked behind his back and he greets the family.

"Good evening, thank you for having me."

Both women have shocked looks on their faces, Phillip standing up from the armchair to make his way over to Albert. He shakes his hand politely.

"A pleasure to have you here. Can we get you a drink?"

"A whiskey would be grand. Thank you."

Nodding, Margaret leaves the room and Phillip turns to the ladies. "Katherine, this is Albert Moriarty. Albert, this is Eleanor's mother, Katherine."

"A pleasure to meet you, Mrs Williams," Albert reached forward and kisses the back of her hand. "You have a lovely home."

Eyes wide, Katherine clears her throat, sending him a sweet smile. "My my, you're a dashing young man. No wonder Eleanor has taken a liking to you and about time too."

Albert chuckles as Eleanor shakes her head at her mother. "Please, I'm very lucky to have met her in the first place. You have a wonderful daughter."

From the corner of his eye, he sends Eleanor a smile and a blush creeps on her cheeks.

"I would take the credit young man, but I'm afraid she doesn't listen to anything I say," Katherine waves a hand.

Phillip purses his lips. "Let's leave these two for a moment. Food will be ready shortly."

Much to Katherine's complaining, she's ushered out by her husband and the door is pulled almost closed.

An exhale escapes Eleanor's lips and she places a hand on the back of the armchair next to her. "Well, now you've met my mother and I can only apologise."

Shaking his head, Albert takes a few steps closer to her. "You needn't apologise. Trust me, I've dealt with much worse."

"I'm glad to hear it." She huffs a laugh. "I didn't know father had invited you for dinner, it's a nice surprise."

The crackling of the fire punctuates their conversation and the warmth from it radiates through the room.

"I take it your trip went well?" He asks.

She nods. "It went very well. I wait to hear from the director, which will take a few weeks."

"I'm sure it will be good news." He tells her, taking another step.

"I missed you greatly Albert." She takes a step closer.

Tentatively reaching for both her hands, her takes them and raises them to his lips, delicately and tenderly kissing her knuckles.

"I missed you too."

Their hands lower down between them and Eleanor's skin glows on her knuckles from where his lips were moments ago, breathing in his scent deeply.

"What did you do while I was away?" She asks.

Opening his mouth to answer, Albert thinks carefully for a moment before speaking. "A few tasks for the ministry. Nothing of major importance."

Really what they'd done, was lure Irene Adler into a secret location, caught the attention of Sherlock Holmes, made separate deals with them, recruited Irene to both the Moriarty group and MI6 and left Sherlcok with an envelope disclosing their identity should Irene die.

"I'd love to hear about it." Eleanor's eyes search his face, taking in his features in the light from the fireplace.

"At some point." He nods, guilt bubbling in his stomach as she smiles at him. "I should tell you though, that when your father invited me for dinner a few days ago, I mentioned an idea to him."

Eyebrows raised, she waits for him to continue.

"I wanted him to know of my intentions with this relationship. Yes, this is all going much quicker than I'd planned but it all seems so perfectly timed."

Eleanor dreamily stares into his emerald gaze, nodding. "Go on, Albert."

"I simply asked if I could court with you, with the intention of someday making lifelong promises to one another. Is that alright?" He asks.

With a wide smile on her face, Eleanor reaches a hand to his chest, eyes flickering to his lips. "Albert, nothing would make me happier. Knowing your intentions for the future, I'm excited for whatever may come at whatever time."

Their hands squeeze tighter, Albert's other hand brushing against her warm cheek, fingertips sending goosebumps down her spine.

"I'm glad," He smiles. "I also think I should tell you something else. However, it may not be the right time—"

"—Don't tell me," She shakes her head. "Whatever it may be, I trust you."

He raises his eyebrows. "You do?"

She nods. "If tonight isn't the night to tell me whatever it is, then take your time. Don't rush it, it's obviously a sensitive subject."

Desperately wanting to kiss her lips, Albert chooses to refrain himself and not ruin this precious moment to simply satisfy his desire.

"Thank you, Eleanor," He kisses her cheek. "All in good time."

-

-

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169 3 6
Two months after the events in the cathedral, the Principal Team crossed paths with two individuals, pushing them into a shadowy game, with London, a...
935 42 13
Lily lived a tough life in the city of London. When she applied as a maid at the Moriarty manor, she didn't expect that she'll be working with the Lo...
3.9K 189 16
Disclaimer: Sherlock and it's character's all belong to their rightful owners. I only own my Original Character. THIRD BOOK IN THE PARTNERS IN CRIME...
115K 5K 70
"Be careful when you mingle around the devil, because at the end of the day, you may end up being like him." You know you could do it, fool the only...