Grace (BWWM)

By Sarah579

"I'm going to take care of you and the kids, Grace." Oh. I just...I get this feeling within me that just warm... More

Foreword
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Continuation of Chapter Thirty-Six and Character Images
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
A Note
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three: The Last Chapter
Epilogue
Final Goodbye For This Story
Information + Bonus Stuff (Cuts of Original Chapters)
Published on Kindle

Author's Note

816 69 12
By Sarah579

Hello everyone,

So I just completed the book yesterday, and I was just editing the last chapter today, but I also got started on the epilogue for this book. That may take a few days or more than a week to finish, but I'll put it up once it's done. I was writing the last few sentences yesterday and I got to feeling some kind of way. It's a bit sad to end this story, but I'm glad to finish as well.

I've been writing for over a decade, but this is the first book that I've finished. I thank God for such an achievement. I hope this book pointed you back to Him. That's the most important thing for me. 

I'm planning on self-publishing this book this year. So...yes lol. 

Also, I want to say that I know a few things about labor and delivery (I studied it in school), but please do not take things I said these last two chapters as medical advice. I say that for legal purposes lol-I'm not a doctor and I am not necessarily in the health care field any longer so please do not quote me haha. See your doctor, nurse, or medical practitioner for medical advise. 

I hope you all enjoyed the ride and below is a chapter from Redemption, Austin and Rose's story:

Chapter 3 

"Today, Austin! You've got no choice! Come with us," Nova says, dancing as we leave our class. We head down the stairs and exit the building. It's Friday, the last day of school for the week. This was the second week of sixth grade. Nova and Ty have been inviting me to their place for two weeks now and I've been declining. But the more they continue to ask, and the more their mother extends an invitation to me, the more I feel myself softening to their request. I feel bad for not having agreed yet. They've also been extending to me the offer of a ride home, but I've been refusing that as well.

Since after school activities have started, I just join those and wait for my parents to come. But today is different, I won't wait today.

"Sure," I say.

"We won't take no for an answer!" she turns, pointing to me sternly.

"He already said yes, sis," Ty says.

"That's right-tell him, Ty! It's by fire by force, Austin!" she says the Nigerian saying that I've heard their mother use.

"He said yes-"

"And you've no choice this time, mister," Nova stops abruptly and turns to look at me. There's a short pause before she speaks again. "Wait...what?"

"Sure, I'll come with you guys today." her eyes widen ever so slowly and she runs to me before grabbing me in a bear hug.

"Yay!" she lets me go and pulls me toward their car. Movement catches my eye and I see someone sit up in the back. The door opens and out steps a petite girl in a light green dress. It's her eyes that I notice right after.

Her large doe eyes are expressive and widen once they land on me. She looks so much like a doll. Her dark brown complexion is without a blemish and her thick hair is up in two cute buns on her head.

"Oh," she says before giving a warm smile. I don't know why, but I feel my chest get warm and fuzzy. "You must be Austin. Everyone has talked so much about you." Normally, I'd introduce myself, give a King smile and keep it moving, but instead I freeze.

I just freeze and stare. Heat rises to my cheeks and she blinks, seeing this. Her head tilts and she studies me.

"Rose!" Nova throws her arms around the smaller girl and squeals in delight.

"Hey cousin," Ty greets with a smile. Oh, I see. Nova has been mentioning a cousin of hers that is like a sister she never had, now I see who she's talking about. She mentioned her being "cute as the cutest teddy bear" and I thought that was just Nova being Nova, but Rose really is cute. She's actually very adorable and pretty.

"Nova, we saw each other last night at dinner," Rose says before patting her cousin's back with a smile.

"I know, but you're so cute! Don't you think she's cute, Austin?"

"I..," my cheeks flush and I hesitate, but only for a moment. "I do." Rose's eyes widen and she seems to get bashful as she looks away.

"Oh...thank you," she murmurs. I only stare more at her adorableness.

"Oh my, what's this I-"

"So you won't greet your mother, ehn, Nova? Ty?" Their mom interrupts Nova, thankfully.

"Uh oh." Ty mutters before hurrying towards the car. Nova let's go of her cousin before rushing over as well. Their mother is Nigerian, from a tribe called the Yoruba tribe. In their culture respecting your elders is very important. One of the largest signs of respect is greeting them.

"Sorry Mama," they both apologize. She chews them out lightly before asking about their day and turning her attention to me. There's that same familiar smile she gives me. It makes me feel welcome.

"Austin, my dear, how are you?"

"Doing good, ma'am,"

"That's good-is today the day?"

"Yes, ma'am," I respond and her eyebrows raise before her smile widens.

"Good, get inside then. And meet Rose, by the way, she's my sister's daughter. Rose, meet Austin, the brilliant boy we've been talking to you about. Rose couldn't wait to finally meet you, she's always asking when you'll finally come over." Rose's eyes widen and she's gives me a furtive glance before looking at her aunt.

"I've only asked three times, Aunty,"

"Ehn, three times is still quite a bit."

"Well-"

"It's okay, I'm sure Austin appreciates your eagerness to meet him," she teases. Rose pouts lightly before hopping into the car. Ty sits next to his mother in the passenger seat and that means Nova, Rose, and I sit at the back. That means I end up sitting right next to Rose. I don't recall ever being so aware of someone else's presence before. As we ride to Ms. Reynold's house, I try to not focus too much on the fact that Rose sits right by me, about an inch of space between us. At one point, on a turn, our legs touch and I blush, moving back and mumbling an apology. She mumbles one as well and I glance at her as her eyes dart towards me.

Even her eyes are pretty. I look away with the thought.

We get to Ms. Reynold's house and get out of her car. I look up at the house and pause, marveling at it. It's not huge like my place. It's not like some weird hybrid that stands out either. Her home is a good-sized home and it's somehow warm and inviting even from the outside. There's a little scarecrow at the front of the house, but instead of being a typical one, it's a plush dog tied to a stick. I can already guess it's Nova's idea. The dog also holds a welcome sign that has stickers on it.

"Welcome to our home, Austin! You finally made it!"

"Nova had us put up the scarecrow for you," Ty gestures to it. "She really wanted to give you a warm welcome." Nova jumps out of the car and comes around, grinning.

"How do you like it?" I stare at it for a while before asking.

"You did it for me?"

"Of course! We had to welcome you somehow." Welcome you. Words fail me as I look at the cursive handwriting. It might not be the best, but to know that it was done to welcome me hits home. "I can't take all the credit though. I did the stickers and got the dog, Mama and Ty helped me put it up, and Rose wrote it. She's got some fancy handwriting. She wanted to pitch in because she was excited to meet you." I hear her words, but I remain silent, just continuing to stare before moving towards the figure.

"Thank you," I finally say. I'm thankful for their thoughtful idea. No one has ever done this before before. I let out a breath, noticing each sticker has a friendly greeting written on it. Even the dog has a warm smile. I reach out a hand, touching the smile and then the sign. A ragged breath leaves my mouth as my vision clouds.

I look over at everyone, my lips turning up. It's not a King smile that I give, but a true smile-it's my smile, and it's a bit shaky, but it's genuine. It's real.

"Thank you," really.

It takes a moment to notice that they're staring at me with a look of surprise. I realize belatedly that this wasn't the reaction they were anticipating.

"Ah, I just-I wasn't expecting this," I start, wiping my eyes and that old smile slips back into place as I explain myself. I hadn't meant to make things awkward. "Sorry." Silence is the response I receive and I notice how the twins' mom gets a look of concern. That has me flinching inwardly as my eyes flit to my feet.

"Sorry," I mutter. Maybe they hadn't meant it the way I took it. It touched my heart, but maybe this was just a little project for them and it didn't mean as much. I might just be taking this in a way they hadn't meant for. I feel tears sting my eyes for a different reason this time. Am I just projecting what I want this to mean unto this? My heart drops as I realize I must be making a fool of myself. This probably doesn't mean what I-

"Austin," I startle and look up to see Rose come to a stop in front of me. Her image is blurry and I look down so that she doesn't see how my eyes shine. But she lifts my head up with the gentlest of touches. Rose's doe eyes look into mine with such kindness and I find myself unable to look away.

"You're fine," she says softly as if knowing what I'm thinking. Her warm browns bore into my eyes in a way that unnerves, but also comforts me. It's like...it's like she sees me.

It's as if she's peering into me and hearing my thoughts, knowing how they're going downhill.

She sees me...and I've never felt seen before.

"You're fine, Austin," her voice is so gentle and I clench my jaw as my eyes mist up further. She only offers the kindest of smiles. "You're okay," I nod slowly at her words, fighting before a tear finally drops. My heart catches as she gently wipes it away and I'm not surprised when another tear follows. She wipes that one away as well, and she does the same with the next few.

That's the day Rose and I met.

~~~

I also have a bit I was working on that may be a short story for Nova and Ashton. That one has been interesting...we'll see where that plausible short story goes, but anyways, I hope you all have a blessed day. 

Take care,

Sarah

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.5M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...