Daggers and Daffodils

By LockPickCommposer

'Imagine if you were hiccups twin (yes I know, not that original, but stay with me) thanks to a certain nigh... More

Dragon Raid
Mark
New Friends
New Arrivals
Welcome to Berk
The Proposition
Turning Tides
Downed Dragon
Dragon Training
All Goes to Hell
He Returns
Happy Hunting
Airborne
Mixed Signals
Cat and Mouse
Bad Luck
Betrayal
Just Perfect
Sooner or Later
Patchy Faced Rat
You Little Brat
Couple's Quarrel
New Flyer
Family Feud
Not as Planned
Two Sides Same Coin
Update- will delete later

The Lonely Dragon

781 36 15
By LockPickCommposer

Hi! I'm happy to say that this is the final chapter before we dive into the real story. I was going to make this entire chapter about the red death battle but changed my mind, soooo skip. And I'm happy this chapter features Dagur (For the first time in what feels like forever). 

Narrator POV

Toothless cringed with a low growl as you pressed the salve onto his cut. "Sorry bud, but this will help it heal". 5 days ago, toothless and Hiccup had gone head-to-head with the Red Death. Hiccup was nearly killed, but thankfully toothless was able to save him at the last second. Hiccup was still asleep, and toothless was pretty banged up after the fight. Unfortunately, Gothi didn't know much about dragon anatomy, and even less so, a night fury. So, you had taken it upon yourself to learn and try to help as much as you could. Turns out you were pretty good at medicine when it came to dragons, and it made you feel better; knowing you were healing them rather than hurting them. 

Your attention was drawn away from toothless as you looked to see a familiar green terror with her head stuck in your jar of fish oil. "Scabbard! Bad " you had come to love the small dragon; she was a spunky little thing, always ready to fight dragons 50x her size. Once you finished rewrapping toothless bandages he returned to his side along Hiccup, curling his body around the bed. "Well bud, I think your cuts are almost fully healed" he let out a low purr as you scratched under his chin. Your smile faded as you shifted your gaze towards the still asleep Hiccup. Hiccup had been asleep for 5 days, and though Gothi told you that he was just resting, it didn't help to calm your nerves. And it was only made worse when you imagined how Hiccup might react to waking up to one leg missing. 

Sensing your souring mood Scabbard brushed herself against your leg. "Heh, thanks girl. Well, I'll see you later than Hiccup" You whistled, calling for Scabbard to take her usual perch on your shoulder as you left to find Astrid. 

"Hey Y/N, wanna ride on a real dragon" Snotlout chided as you walked through the village. "No thanks." you deadpanned, "Your record for actually staying on that dragon is less than 5 minutes". "Hey! I'll have you know it was 6! And for you information, his name is Hookfang" you ignored him, making your way to the newly repurposed arena. 

You were used to the teasing of your friends. You had tried to connect to Berk's new resident dragons, but it never really clicked with any of them. Scabbard didn't make it any easier either. To put it simply, she didn't like the idea of sharing your attention with another dragon. After all, another dragon meant less belly rubs, and she couldn't have that.

"Morning Astrid" you greeted; Astrid was readying Stormfly for your usual morning flight, which was TOTALY not a patrol, you sighed 'Still trying to take care of everything and everyone. How is this girl not tired?'. "Morning" she greeted. "I overheard from Bucket and Mulch that they were attacked by a dragon while they were out fishing yesterday. We should be sure to check that out". You raised a brow at her, "I thought you said this was just a morning fly". "Yeah, well, it is. Were just... dropping by out of curiosity and concern as friends". "Uh huh" you made your sarcasm thick and audible. Placing yourself behind her on Stormfly Scabbard wrapped her tail around your arm in case she lost grip of your shoulder, and you took off. 

Berkians were still getting used to the entire 'dragons in the village' thing, but they could understand that this was what was best for everyone. Life on Berk was changing for the better. As to be expected, giving the twins control over a creature that was a live explosive resulted in a number of... 'incidents', but other than that Berk was peacful. You noticed how Astrid petted Stormfly as you flew and couldn't help the tinge of jealousy that twisted in your gut. 

"Looks like a small storm" Astrid said. You and Astrid hugged the water as dark grey clouds drifted above you, beginning to rain. You all jumped in alarm at the sound of a scream. 

"Look!" not too far away was Bucket and Mulch, waving around their paddles at what looked like a large yellowish dragon with a crown of horns and a second set of wings. "Oh Odin!" Bucket exclaimed before noticing you and Astrid, "Oh, girls! Help, its trying to make of with our net". With a strong tug the dragon began to lift half the small fishing boat, the net still tied to it. Stormfly dove towards the boat, firing a warning shot close to it. 

"Hang on" Astrid told you, swiftly turning Stormfly. "It's too dangerous to leave out here, we need somewhere to put it" she looked back at you. "What, do I look like, Hiccup? I don't know!". You ducked as the dragon blasted a concentrated ring of fire. "The arena" Astrid said. "Got it", once Stormfly was close enough to the arena, you jumped off, landing in a controlled roll. 

You looked up to see the four winged dragon pass right over me. You used a narrow shortcut to get to the arena where Fishlegs, the twins, and Snotlout were getting ready to put away their dragons. "Out of the arena! All of you".

"Y/N, what's wrong?" Fishlegs asked. "Rogue dragon. We're going to trap it in the arena". They mounted their dragons as Snotlout complained about never getting a break and the twins argued about which of the two the dragon would rather eat. Running outside of the arena you waited by the gate, ready to close it in. 

Stormfly flew in with the dragon not far behind her, using the dragon's wingspan against it, Astrid made a sharp turn and circled back out. You closed the gate quickly causing the now trapped dragon to blast fire through the chain roof of the arena. 

 "It's trapped" Astrid said with a sigh of relief.  "Fishlegs, do you know what dragon this is? I've never seen it on Berk before" you asked. "Huh? Two sets of wings, crown like horns, if I recall correctly, I think this is a Storm Cutter" the dragons thrashing and blasts stopped, content to pace around the arena glaring at you. "Storm Cutter as in; the dragon Stoick the vast nearly hunted to extinction?" Astrid asked. 

As a child you were told about your father's distaste for the Storm Cutter. Soon after you were born your father had slain every Storm Cutter within 10 islands from Berk, though he never told you why. "Well, until were able to find a new place for it, it'll be staying in here. I'll keep an eye on it. Astrid, could you tell my dad? He'll need to know the arena is being used".

"Are you sure that's a good idea Y/N" Astrid asked. "It'll be fine. He's stubborn, but I think I'll be able to stop him from doing anything reckless" she nodded before heading towards the village. 

The others left soon after leaving you and Scabbard alone with the dragon, which eyes hadn't left you for a second. You sat down on the ground facing it through the gate, Scabbard curling up in your lap. "Oh, sorry Scabbard, this one's ticked off as it is. It might be best if you wait at home" not listening Scabbard sniffed the air creeping out of your lap towards the gate. 

"Scabbard no!" before you could stand up to stop her, she crawled through the gate into the arena. Scabbard slowed her crawling, practically dragging herself on the ground towards it. The Storm Cutter looked down at her with more disinterest than you'd seen Astrid give Snotlout's advances. She let out a pleased chirp before petting herself against the Storm Cutters leg, only to be pushed away. 

Your panic subsided as you realized Scabbard was safe. Suddenly a loud growl echoed through the arena. However, the growl wasn't from the dragons throat, but the dragons stomach. "Oh, you're hungry. Scabbard keep an eye on him". 

Y/N POV

Carrying the basket of fish back towards the arena I realized it was kind of counterproductive to say I'd watch the dragon only to leave 3 minutes later, but Scabbard could handle it... right? 

"Ok, I brought lunch" Once I put the basket down, I looked back at the dragon suppressing a laugh at the sight of Scabbard sprawled out on its head. It huffed irritated at me shaking her off. "Here you go" I threw a large fish into the arena, which it sniffed cautiously before taking it into its mouth.

"See, not so bad- Ow!".  The Storm Cutter let out low chuffs as though it was laughing at me. "Did you just throw a fish at my face" as if mocking me the dragon moaned and chirped, imitating my voice. "Ugh, you got more sass than Hookfang" the dragon, now comfortable and proud of its work flew up to the cage roof, clinging onto it like a bat settling in for a nap.

"Well, I guess we'll need something to call you. And since you're so keen to being a smart mouth, we will call yoouuu... Silvertongue". Scabbard realizing her 'play mate' was sleeping exited the arena crawling back onto my shoulder.

The rest of the day was less eventful, Silver Tongue had woken up a few hours later and finally ate the fish (though not without making me dodge a few first). Despite his (I found out thanks to a book Fishlegs gave me later in the day) standoffish attitude, he eventually grew less tense around me. We weren't by any means best friends, but he stopped growling at me anytime I attempted to get closer to the gate without fish. This paired with the fact that Scabbard had finally found a dragon she'd be willing to share my attention with gave me hope that Silvertongue might become one of my dragons. "Wouldn't that be nice Scabbard" I said stroking her back as she napped, "We would stop being teased for not being able to fly, and I'd finally have a dragon to call my own. No offence". I looked to see that the sun was now setting, "Ok, girl. let's head home". I looked back to Silvertongue one last time before I headed home with a smile.

Narrator POV

This smile, however, was short lived on your walk back home. As you neared your house you saw your father seething as he stormed towards the arena, Gobber following behind him. "Stoick, don't you think this is a bit much?" he asked. "Dad? Is everything ok?".

"Ok? Ok?! I just got out of one of the longest meetings I've been in all year, to find out there's a Storm Cutter in our arena". "Dad, we've been over this. Dragons aren't bad" he inhaled sharply before grabbing your wrist carefully but forcefully towards the house. 

Silence filled the room as you awkwardly shifted your weight. "I want it gone by morning" your eyes widened. "Dad! This dragon may be my only chance at having one-". "Berk has plenty to choose from". "None that like me! None that Scabbard likes" his eye softened. "What is with you?" your anger dissipated as you took in the solemn look he had. You spoke softly "What made you hate Storm Cutters so much?". With a sigh your father sat, remaining quiet for a few moments. "It's the dragon that took your mother".

He inhaled deeply as a light glaze covered his eyes "You and Hiccup were in the cradle that night. It had broken into our home, and your mother went to protect you. I ran as quickly as I could but by the time, I grabbed you and Hiccup-" he paused, choking. "After that day, I was so angry. Every Storm Cutter on berk and every voyage I made, I killed... But, it didn't help". Quiet racked the house in-between his pauses, you unknowingly holding your breath as your eyes grew watery. 

He looked at you ashamed, then sighed "Do you really think, you can tame this thing?" you nodded. "Then you can keep it" he gave a weak smile as you wrapped your arms around him in a hug. You hoped this would work out, that Silvertongue could help your father move past his rage, and that he would tell you more about your mother, but for now you'd just have to wait and find out.

Dagur POV (YES! Took me long enough)

I sat on my throne in the great hall as the herald recounted news. It was all so boring. "Are you trying to bore me to death?" I asked. "u-uh, no, your derangedness" he quivered 'how pathetic'. "Really? Because if you are. Trying to kill your chief is punishable of death" I smiled as he stammered out an apology. "Alright! Alright! You're spared, now get out of my sight". "Your derangedness?" someone asked. "What now?" I asked turning to see it was a courier. 

"Letters, your derangedness" grabbing the number of scrolls I placed them on the table in front of me. "Ah, it seems our friends from outcast islands have replied" I announced to the hall, their fake and fearful cheers of joy beginning to annoy me. "With an alliance between the Berserker, the Outcasts and Berk, there will be nothing stopping us from taking control of the entire archipelago" a grin spread on my face at the idea of both the archipelago under my control and Y/N at my side. It was at this moment that my eyes caught on a familiar insignia, and the sounds of cheers from the hall seemed all too loud. "Everyone OUT!" with a flinch everyone scattered out of the hall, but I could care less. 

Cutting the parchment carefully to not damage the seal or the letter itself I opened it. I felt my face nearly ache with the size of my smile 'she's never written to me before. Maybe she's finally in love with me!'. She wrote about how her father was out on a voyage, and I had half the mind to go and grab her before I read her telling me not too. 'Cheeky girl, knows me so well'. 

'She's in dragon training now. She'll go through it like a breeze.' I felt my face heat as I read her threatening Anson. She was always so cute when she was worked up. There was a sentence that was scribbled out and relpaced with 'See you next year'. "Hmm" my smile fell, what wouldn't she want to tell me. Noticing the candle in front of me I had an idea. I held the candle closely behind the letter, careful as not to burn it, the light revealing the original script. My smile returned as my face felt hot and I started to laugh unhinged "She misses me!". Oh, I could not wait for next year.

Thanks for making it through the chapter guys. Also sorry for the false alarm, honestly thought I wasn't going to make the deadline for this chapter.

Next update should be out by 5/20/22

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.1K 352 14
[HTTYD Fanfiction] Hiccup Haddock never knew why he was born, especially among a tribe of dragon-hating Viking. Since childhood, he has been weak and...
2.8K 91 12
---------𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄, Hero child of Berk, the chief's daughter, living up to the expectations of being an amazing dragon killer...trains a dragon...
1.6K 23 5
Hiccup had won the honor of killing an agressive Monstrous Nightmare. Since, he wouldn't kill a dragon, his only option: To run away and leave Berk f...
488K 9.5K 112
Little one shots of the reader and Hiccup that I wrote. Requests aren't welcome. "Hiccup," you said, softly, after a few minutes of silence. Hiccup...