A Little Help from a Snake...

By onyxjay

(Aka the Tomalongadingdong™ fic) It was a normal day for Harry. He woke up, made breakfast for his relatives... More

Before You Read
0: Prologue
1: The Letter*
2: And They Were Soulmates*
3: All Aboard!*
4: Getting Sorted Out
5: Severus Snape
Part 6*
7: Dobby
8: Train Has Left the Station*
9: Ripping and Tearing is Kinky
10: The Legendary Chamber*
11: Lockhart is Still Alive
12: Diary of a Teenage Voldemort
13: Thnks fr th Mmrs*
14: The Nicknames Begin*
15: The "Rescue"*
16: Going Down Like a Lead Balloon
17: A Grim Tale
19: Lone Wolf*
20: This Is What You Came For, Isn't It?
21: Mapped Out
22: Monster in the Wardobe
23: Snape Adopts a Teenage Dark Lord
24: Tiny Blond Fucker
25: The Man Who Cried Werewolf*
Part 26*
Part 27
28: Dun Dun Dun!
Part 29*
Part 30*
Part 31
Part 32*
33: Harry the Heinous*
34: A Serious Discussion About Gas
35: Finally Fourteen
36: Something of a Riddle
Part 37
38: Raining on One's Parade
Part 39
Part 40
41: Cliffhanger in Part 40
42: Can I Get a Fuck No!
43: Calmly™
Part 44
45: The Skrewts Started the Fire
Part 46
47: Sixteen Going on Seventeen
Part 48
49: Caught Six-Legged
50: Snape, Snape, Swearverus Snape
Part 51
Part 52
53: Baby, It's Cold Outside*
Part 54
Part 55
56: The Lion, the Witch, the Audacity of This Bitch
Part 57
Part 58
(Somewhat) Updated Reading Checkpoint
59: Caught Pink-Handed!
Part 60
61: Spring Has Arrived
Part 62*
Part 63
64: Back Home
65: Ding Dong! Tomalonga is Back!
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
69: The Party for the Bonding Ceremony
70: The Actual Bonding Ceremony
71: The Aftermath of the Bonding Ceremony
Part 72
Part 73
Part 74
Part 75
Part 76
Part 77
Epilogue
Thank You! (Again)

18: Diagon Alley*

16.8K 644 116
By onyxjay

Revised: April 23, 2022

There wasn't a significant reason to revise this chapter; I just felt like improving by even just the smallest amount.

——————————

Tom didn't come out of the diary the next morning. Harry wrote in it, but all Tom said was a brusque "Go get your school supplies."

'Give him time,' Azure said. 'He had a bit of a scare. I can try and talk to him.'

'You can't even write,' Harry pointed out wryly.

If Azure could, she would have rolled her eyes at him. 'Just get your things, Harry.'

Reluctantly, Harry agreed, carefully warding the room to alert them if anyone was coming. He first headed to Gringotts to take out some money. Griphook, who had grown to have more respect for the boy, greeted him with as much friendliness as a goblin could give. He gave an update on Harry's vaults and checked him over, relieved to see that Dumbledore had not attempted anything. Yet.

"Voldemort had made Horcruxes before he... disappeared," Harry explained as he was stepping out of a vault. "Is there any way we can reconnect the soul pieces?"

"There is," Griphook replied, scowling at the thought of such dark magic. "Obtain all the Horcruxes and bring it here. There is a ritual we will do."

"The price?"

"500 Galleons."

Harry nodded. "All right. We'll see what we can find."

He dipped his head to Griphook before leaving, money bag refilled. He walked around Diagon Alley, hearing snatches of conversation here and there. Most of them he heard involved purchases that have been made or, more solemnly, Sirius' escape. Harry finished his essays outside Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor, where Florean Fortescue himself gave him free sundaes every half hour and the occasional pointer.

About a week into his time at the Leaky Cauldron, he caught sight of a crowd outside of Quality Quidditch Supplies.

"Just come out — prototype —"

"It's the fastest broom in the world, isn't it, Dad?"

"Irish International Side's just put in an order for seven of these beauties!" the proprietor of the shop told the crowd. "And they're favorites for the World Cup!"

Harry could see why given its acceleration, which read to be "0–150 miles an hour in just ten seconds."

Flourish and Blotts proved to be its own adventure with the The Monster Book of Monsters book for Care of Magical Creatures. How the manager was still alive Harry did not know, but he was impressed.

He eventually returned to the Leaky Cauldron, hoping Tom had calmed down enough to talk. But when he opened the door, he saw that wasn't the case.

Azure was sitting by the window, tail lashing mutinously. She responded to Harry's greeting with a single grunt/hiss and said nothing.

As more days passed, Harry tried to keep himself busy. He caught glimpses of fellow students here and there, Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan admiring the Firebolt, the Patil twins heading into Flourish and Blotts, and others he recognized by face but not name.

On the last day of the holidays, Harry spotted Draco and Pansy.

"Cannot believe Dumbledore would allow such a horrible book to —" Draco caught sight of Harry and grinned. "There you are, Harry. Got all your supplies?"

Harry nodded.

"Is it true you blew up your aunt?" Pansy asked in a hushed voice.

"Uh, yeah." Harry supposed they found out from Draco's father. "Surprised I wasn't expelled, if I'm being honest."

"Well, it wasn't like you meant to," Draco pointed out. "Besides, with Sirius Black looking for you —" He broke off at Pansy's warning glance.

Harry was saved from having to respond when a yowl split the air. It was followed by a loud "NO, CROOKSHANKS, NO!" and a large orange blur shot out of the Magical Menagerie and streaked by.

"Scabbers!" Ron's voice sounded as he ran after it.

Harry had to refrain from growling at the mention of the person responsible for his parents' demise. He wondered if Pettigrew was actually on Dumbledore's side and therefore aware of what he was doing or merely another pawn that unwittingly helped him. If the latter were the case, then he would not be punished as severely. If the former... well, they'd cross that bridge when they got there.

Draco sneered slightly at Ron and strode by without another glance. Harry tagged along for a bit before separating and returning to the Leaky Cauldron. To his surprise, he saw that the Weasley family was there.

"Harry!" said Mr. Weasley, smiling at him. "How are you?"

"I'm all right," Harry replied.

Ginny smiled shyly and mumbled a soft "Hello."

Percy, ever the formal one, shook his hand. "Harry. How nice to see you."

"Hello, Percy," said Harry.

"I hope you're well?" said Percy formally, as if he were talking to the mayor.

"Well enough —" Harry began, his conversation with Tom still fresh in his mind. He was almost relieved when Fred elbowed Percy aside and bowed deeply.

"Harry! Simply splendid to see you, old boy —"

"Marvelous," said George, pushing Fred aside and seizing Harry's hand in turn. "Absolutely spiffing."

Despite himself, Harry found himself grinning. "That it is, George," he said, matching his superior tone. "Wonderful weather today."

"Indeed, my good man." George was still shaking his hand vigorously. "Indeed."

"That's enough, now," said Mrs. Weasley, stepping forward.

"Mum!" Fred turned to her and grabbed her hand. "How really corking to see you —"

"I said, that's enough," said Mrs. Weasley, depositing her shopping in an empty chair. "Harry, dear, so glad you're okay."

"Thank you," said Harry, because really, what else could he say? Oh, no, Mrs. Weasley. You see, my soulmate is giving me the cold shoulder because I was being an idiot. Right, that would go swell.

He searched for something to say. "Percy, I see you've been made Head Boy."

"Second one in the family," Mrs. Weasley said proudly.

"And last," muttered Fred, rolling his eyes.

Mrs. Weasley frowned at him. "I don't doubt that. I notice they haven't made you two prefects."

"What do we want to be prefects for?" George looked aghast at the mere thought. "It'd take all the fun out of life."

"You want to set a better example for your sister!" snapped Mrs. Weasley as Ginny giggled.

"Ginny's got other brothers to set her an example, Mother," said Percy loftily. "I'm going up to change for dinner..."

He disappeared and George heaved a sigh.

"We tried to shut him in a pyramid," he told Harry. "But Mum spotted us."

Three tables were put together for the Weasleys and Hermione, who apparently had been dropped off earlier by her parents. Mrs. Weasley insisted Harry joined them, which he did after considering the alternative of eating alone with an exasperated snake and a distant soulmate.

"I'm really sorry about last year," Ron blurted out. "Thinking you were the heir and all."

Harry blinked. He hadn't expected to hear an apology from him. "Oh. Um, thank you. It's quite all right."

Ron nodded, his ears red.

After dinner, Harry went to his room to get some rest. But Percy and Ron started arguing, so Harry got back up and headed downstairs for some peace and quiet.

"... makes no sense not to tell him," Mr. Weasley was saying heatedly. "Harry's got a right to know. I've tried to tell Fudge, but he insists on treating Harry like a child. He's thirteen years old and —"

"Arthur, the truth would terrify him!" said Mrs. Weasley shrilly. "Do you really want to send Harry back to school with that hanging over him? Besides, he's a smart boy. He's not one to wander around anyway."

The truth? Harry listened closely.

Mr. Weasley sounded tired. "It won't matter that he's a smart boy. If Black can break out of Azkaban, even with the the dementors guarding his cell, he can break into Hogwarts."

"But no one's really sure that Black's after Harry —"

"'He's at Hogwarts,' he was saying. He is. Who else would Black be referring to?"

The pieces fell into place. They believed that Sirius had escaped Azkaban to finish what he had started, which was supposedly to finish what Voldemort had started that night. That was what Draco had begun to say earlier as well before Pansy cut him off.

Harry waited, but when there was nothing else of substance, he headed back up.

Fred and George were heaving with laughter as they listened to Percy practically tear apart the room in his search for his badge.

"We've got it," Fred whispered to Harry. "We've been improving it."

The badge now read Bighead Boy.

Harry rolled his eyes and lightly smacked them on the head. "Gred, Forge, you two are the biggest idiots on the planet."

"We know," they said with proud grins.

——————————

I don't know what to say here, so... remember to apply sunscreen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 2.2K 100
❝ all in us! ❞ ੈ✩‧₊ 𝚒𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚊𝚑𝚗 𝚋𝚘𝚛𝚊𝚖; 𝚒𝚝𝚣𝚢'𝚜 6𝚝𝚑 𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 ༉‧₊˚✧ ˖⋆࿐໋₊ ...
116K 4.6K 19
Edited footages of Peter Parker in the Tower and in the Compound were broadcast on live television.
2.2M 114K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
22K 563 9
Brayden Ashton Keith was like any normal teen till his mutant powers came. His parents tried to get rid because of him because of this. Soon this tee...