CROSS MY HEART // dystopian r...

By whitewildflowers

Ivy Warden must face the greatest illness the world has ever known. When humans are slowly becoming blood-thi... More

1. what rhymes with burden
3. crimson-red like blood
4. nature, and what is rightly hers
5. paths crossing
6. the key to unlock
7. war is also defeat.
8. after the storm, comes another one
9. interrogation
10. birth of a heart-slayer
11. the more the merrier
12. it's with or against
13. what stitches can't fix

2. ghost in a metal shelter

391 13 0
By whitewildflowers

      Love is never what you want it to be. I am far too young to know that, but I do. Love, so far, has been about sacrifice. And loss.

Love is a burden, and I bear the weight of it. There once was a time when I was joyful and carefree, my fake red hair synonym of passion and youth. I was bouncing with hope and determination. I liked debates, and straight A's, and politics. I wanted to go to Yale after high school, be a criminologist. How useless it would have been, now that I think about it.

All I knew is that I wanted the world to change. And change, it did. But not in the way I expected, not in the way I wanted.

I was naive, and reckless, and foolish. I used to think the biggest ordeal I could go through was unrequited love and failed exams. These last three years made it a priority to prove me wrong.

Today, I wake up with my old friend ; guilt. It never leaves me. I shove off the thought of James' eyes, and the veiled expression on his face. I immediately go to get my daily cup of coffee.

I don't sip it by the window, I don't sip it by a breath-taking view or a cozy rainstorm. I savor it slowly, carefully, as I sit down at the cold white kitchen table. I don't read the journal, or check the news on my phone. I don't even read books anymore. The few books on the tiny shelf are dusty now, as I've read them all.

Instead, I just watch the surveillance camera on the main screen, the one that gives me a visual on the gate. The control center allows me to open it, but I rarely do. About every four months, I go out on a short scavenger hunt.

I slip a glance at the inventory list on the main screen, with a pinch in my stomach. When I check the food reserve, a pained sigh escapes my lips. I only have three cans left, and one galleon of water left. Despite all my efforts at rationing, I am forced to admit that I only have a week left of provisions.

I cannot allow my body to get any thinner, any weaker. Which means, while I'm still strong enough, I have to go out there. I have to open the ceiling gates for the first time in four months, and face what I've been hiding from.

A sea of Dead-Alives, corpses and deserted streets awaits me up there. I train all day, everyday, throw blades at self-made targets and practice my aim. It doesn't make me brave, or determined. It just means I'm scared.
My heart sinks in my chest as I truly realize : tomorrow, by the first light, I have to go out there again.

Alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

652 292 15
When Echo promises her dad that she wont give up and she'll survive the apocalypse, she keeps going just for him, even when times get rough. To her...
62.7K 1.2K 49
1: Ava Barns believes she is the last human left alive in a world full of zombies. She knows the cure, but how can she use this information to restor...
851 59 22
I see you're awake finally. Let me explain, I'm the overseer, and my name is Hayley, I will guide you on your journey through this time era. Your nam...
22.7K 1.4K 35
6 highschoolers, young and innocent, caught in the outbreak. On their own to survive, there will be mistakes, tragedies, drama, love and lessons.