By Their Stripes

By highlandelf29

It was Dragons not power that made the Targyrens kings, but it was Tigers that kept them on the Iron throne. ... More

Cast
The Beginning
A War and a Wedding
Cast: Post Roberts Rebellion

A Game of Loyalty

173 5 0
By highlandelf29

Inside the courtyard of Castle Sunspear two figures fought each moving with agility rare to most, they fought more like animals than men. The taller of the two figures was graceful, quick and deadly, moving in and out like a snake about to strike. The shorter one moved in a way that showed pure power in each stroke, and their grace was more unto a large cat like a lion or a tiger.

They were evenly matched and judging by the sweat-soaked skin of the taller one, they had been fighting for quite some time. The tall one had removed everything but his breeches, while the smaller one still wore their armor and helmet. Finally, the tall one struck moving forward and going under the smaller one's blade, the small one spun to try and get away dropping their sword and pulling a  dagger from where it sat at their hip. 

A few more barely perceptible movements and the two froze blades at the others throat, the tall man smirked and the helmeted figure reached up lifting their helmet from their head to reveal a beautiful woman. 

Aella Martell had lost none of her beauty or grace in the last seventeen years, and in her husband's eyes, she had only grown more beautiful. It was this beauty that was Prince Oberyn's downfall as his eyes wavered from her face to her heaving chest. He didn't notice her smirk before she moved pushing his arm away from her throat and tripping him before following him to the ground in a crouch over his body, knife at his throat.

"You lost focus husband." Aella muttered with a smirk, Oberyn grinned "To see you in this position my love it was well worth it." 

Aella blushed and stood as around them the small crowd that had gathered cheered, Aella's eyes sought out the eight children which belonged to her. From her eldest to her youngest they were truly the most beautiful children in the seven kingdoms. Unfortunately, her eldest daughter, her second born was no longer in their household, she had left to join the Tiger guard that Aella had so long ago left. 

Her eyes drifted to Oberyn who was also observing his children as his sons and daughters entered the courtyard to begin their own training. He had not been pleased with his daughter's decision to serve the king of Westeros, the man who allowed the murderer of his sister to go free. But Oberyn knew this was the way of his wifes family, and Aella was very big on tradition.

Besides, Oberyn also knew that Ellrias Lord of Tygros was not a man who took things sitting down. For Ellrias had a plan far larger than Robert the Usurper knew, and in truth would see until a true heir sat on the Iron Throne.

But for now, Oberyn would join his wife on waiting, for if Tigers and Serpants had in common anything, it was the patience they had in waiting for their prey.

_________________________________________________

Winterfell

Ned Stark watched as a long procession rode into the castle grounds of Winterfell. Amongst them three knights stood out to him, the first he knew not only that they wore the same armour as one who once nearly died for her queen. By the young womans side a large tiger walked, its eyes carefully watching those around it.

The next two made him sneer inwardly, the Golden Knight, the Kingslayer, Jamie Lannister. And The Claws of Westeros, the Cub, The Second Kingslayer, Faramir Caspian.

The three rode side by side, the two men reached up removing their helm but the smaller female left hers on.

Kiara Martell examined the figures in the courtyard from the under the safety of her helm.He eyes landed on the eldest Stark boy and she blushed realizing his eyes were on her as well.

"He cannot see you, he is just interested in the knights who have fought by their Kings side." A voice heavy with sarcasm spoke by her side making Kiara roll her eyes and turn to glance at the golden man.

Jamie Lannister, her mentor, friend, and the biggest pain in her rear end. His green eyes always watching and making sure she was performing her duties properly. Beside him sat her uncle Faramir, he was Jamies best friend and the one who kept Jamie on the straight and narrow.

Another knight rode up beside them and all three of the friends groaned internally, Tygon Lannister. A royal guard, and more than likely the paramour of Carsei Lannister, his own cousin.

"What a desolate place." The unwelcome newcomer voiced lowly, the three friends ignored him, while watching as Queen Cersei exited her carriage her three children following behind.

Kiara watches the children silently, her own charges Tommen and Myrcella were happy children and kind which was the most important thing. Especially when comapred to her Uncle Faramirs charge, Joffery the crown prince, the biggest, cruelest brat in history.

"Wheres the Imp?!" The voice of a young Stark girl asked making Cersei turn eyes narrowing as she realised her younger brother was not present.

She growled in annoyance and stomped towards her brother "Where is our brother?" She growled "Go find the little beast."

Jamie frowned "Have a care how you speak of our brother."

"Have a care how you speak to our Queen, cousin." Tygon growled out, before following after Cersei like the loyal dog he was. Kiara also moved to follow as her wards entered the house, her large tiger loping beside her until she ordered it to stay behind.

As he watched them leave Jamie turned to Faramir "That could have been me, you know?"

For Jamie had almost fallen to his sisters wiles, her seductive ways had almost called him to her bed. But Faramir had held him back, refusing to allow his friend to fall so far.

Faramir grinned as the two remounted their horses "Indeed and may I just say her attitude had gotten far worse in the past few years."

Jamie spurred his horse forward "By the way, perhaps we should keep a careful eye on your niece. She was watching that Stark boy far too closely."

Faramir raised an eyebrow "There are days where I wonder if I should be concerned by the watchful eye you keep on my niece."

Jamie didnt answer his friend, how could he? He knew that in the past two years since Kiara had joined the Tiger guardhe had developed strange feelings for the girl. Feelings he should not, and could not have, or hope to have returned. So Jamie simply allowed himself to be her friend and mentor, it was all he would ever allow.

Kiara moved through the Stark grounds searching for the king, Myrcella had been nappjng and had a nightmare. Strangely enough, King Robert was able to calm his daughter in ways Kiara nor Cersei could. So, Kiara had been ordered by the Queen to hunt the King down.

As she entered the courtyard her tiger Raksha stood and lumbered up beside her, Kiara ran her fingers through the Tigers thick coat as they moved towards the crypt. "Wait Raksha."

Kiara entered the crypt as silently as her Tiger would, moving yowards the voices that echoed through the chamber.

"Did you have to bury her in a place like this?" The King was asking "She should be on a hill somewhere with the sun and the clouds above her."

"She was my sister. This is where she belongs." Ned Stark replied as Kiara waited just around the corner listening to them speak "She belonged with me...In my dreams, I kill him every night."

Kiara sneered, knowing that Robert was half the man Rhaeger had been.

"It's done, Your Grace. The Targaryens are gone."

"Not all of them." Robert pronounced making Kiara smirk slightly before she moved forward revealing herself "Your Majesty."

Robert turned his eyes landing on Kiara, he nodded for her to continue "Your daughter had a terror, she calls for you."

Robert frowned and nodded "I will come at once."

Kiara bowed and turned away, in her mind she traveled far away to where another uncle guarded his own wards.

_________________________________________________

Lore of House Caspian approached his young ward silently "Daenerys."

The woman turned from the balcony and gave a sad smile to man approaching her "Is it done?" She asked her voice timid and Lore nodded "It's done" he smiled kindly reaching out to touch her shoulder gently "Drogo is not an unkind man, and I have heard he treats the woman in his hoard kindly. He is my mothers nephew and because of that I still have some say amongst them."

Daenerys nodded still unsure though she was, and had been since the unexpected death of her brother. He had seemingly died of natural causes, but it had been so strange since her brother was a healthy man.

Daenerys did not know that the man beside her had been the one to kill him. For Lore had lived under the rule of a mad king once in his life and cared not to live under the rule of another. Daenerys was a kind child, and her brother had already begun to assault her. Lore would not allowed such a thing. Thus a secret message to his sister and she had sent some of her husbands favorite poison to him. Untraceable and it gave the signs of a natural death, no one was the wiser, but they were far happier.

Lore turned as a few of Daenerys handmaidens entered with a dress in their hold. Bowing to his lady he turned "I will leave you too prepare my lady."

Daenerys nodded silently, and Lore exited with a sigh, Viseyris had taken his toll on poor Dany. And before his death had been planning to sell her to Drogo in exchange for his armies. Lore had not informed him of his own kinship to the Khal, instead he had snuck away by night to meet his cousin.

He closed his eyes remembering that night, he had rode into the hoard only to be met with spears and anger. When he had greeted them in their own language and with the greeting of a Khal's relative.

The hoard had brought him to Drogo who had stood and glared at him "Who are you?" He asked in Dothkari and Lore had bowed his head in respect before answering back in his mothers tongue. Explaining that he was the son of Vera, KhalDrogo had tilted his head at the mention of his fathers sister.  He looked Lore over in silence before speaking "You have forgotten our ways, you cut your hair and wear the clothing of a Walker."

Lore shook his head "I have not forgotten, and neither has my mother. We do not wear long hair but the ways of our people are still kept. I gave my blood to he who was my Khal, I rode beside him, until he sent me away from his side, so that I could protect his siblings. It is for one of them that I have come."

Khal stared at him for a moment before he motioned one of his bloodriders forward "Prove your worth, cousin."

Lore looked the other man over and smirked, this would be easy.

It had been, Lore was not been considered one of the top five fighters in Westeros for no reason. Now he stood beside his princess in the courtyard of Illyrio a shrewd man who was loyal to the Targyren dynasty.

"Where is he?" Daenerys asked in a whisper as she always spoke, Lore knew she needed this marriage and the power that came with being a Khaleesi to come into her own. Illyrio answered her "The Dothraki are not known for their punctuality."

Lore laughed "Indeed, my mother prefers to be late to every event, adds a flare she says."

The Dothkari horde enter3d the courtyard with Drogo at their head, due to the fact that it was Illyrio's home it was he who stepped forward to greet them "Respect to one that is respectful, Great Khal! May I present my honored guest, Daenerys, of the House Targaryen, rightful Queen of the Andals and the First Men."

As Illyrio spoke to Drogo, Dany looked up whispering to her friend and protector "Why is his hair so long?"

Lore smiled whispering to her "When Dothraki are defeated in combat, they cut off their braid so the whole world can see their shame. Khal Drogo has never been defeated. He's one of the finest warriors alive." He paused for a moment seeing that Drogo wanted to see his future bride, he gave his Princess a gentle push. "Go on Dany, he wishes to see you."

Daenerys walked forward slowly and timidly approaching the Khal who had not dismounted from his horse. The two stared at each other for a moment before Drogo turned and rode away. Lore smiled in triumph, it was done, and his Princess's future was set in stone.

_________________________________________________

Faramir observed the proceedings around him, it would have been an enjoyable evening if not for the Usurper. The man had the gall to be getting handy with the maids right infront of his Queen. Faramir was not fan of Cersei, but he wondered if perhaps Robert were kinder to her wpuld she be the way she was?

He shrugged the thought away as this eyes landed on Tygon who was silently watching the queen from his post. Faramir rolled his eyes in disgust, he knew that Cersei had a certain way about her but honestly, were the man in her house complete fools.

"Inwardly mocking my house again brother?" Jamie questioned as he came to stand beside his best friend, Faramir laughed "Just the younger male line, I have the highest respect for your father and sisters wiles."

"Indeed," a voice said from beside them making them jump slightly as Kiara appeared in a dress with a veil over her face. Faramir smiled at his niece who wore dresses far more often than his sister ever had.

Jamie swallowed for a moment before he asked "How many blades do you have hidden under that dress?"

Under her veil Kiara smirked "That my dear Ser is for me to know and you too not find out."

With that she turned heading to find some food and Jamie shook his head silently. After Kiara ate she moved to the side of the dancefloor watching in disgust as the females whored themselves out to Robert Baretheon.

Shaking her head she turned to leave when a voice stopped her "Does this happened often?" Turning Kiara found Robb Stark, the eldest child of Ned and namesake to the king. He was watching Robert pull a maid into his lap, and Kiara nodded "More often than not, nothing is to be done, he is after all the king."

The young man frowned "He shows no honor to his queen."

Kiara laughed "You will eventually find young Stark that there is very little honor among those who are in the Kings household."

With that Kara looked away from the king finally facing the eldest Stark "Is there a place I can have my Raksha bed down for the night? She is not used to this cold."

Robb nooded "Of course, I would be happy to show you..." At that moment a voice called out for the eldest Stark boy and he looked down "My mother."

Kiara smiled beneath her helmet "You should go to her, heaven knows I know how worried mothers are."

4obb nodded and bowed his head before walking away, Kiara smiled gently beneath her helmet before she turned to see which set of eyes were on her. As she suspected it was a green set of emerald eyes beneath a blonde fringe of hair, he motioned her towards him and with a sigh she moved his direction.

"What have I done now Ser?" Kiara asked leaning on the wall beside Jamie who leaned down to whisper in her ear "You should watch yourself around pups like that little Kiara, they seek only one thing."

Kiara smirked turning until her eyes met his own, even beneath the helmet Jamie could make out her blue eyes. Some might think her mother had stepped out based on such eyes but all of Westeros knew that every few generations a blue eyed child appeared in the line of Caspian.. They said it came from the Targyrens, that the last female born to the line had relations with the royal whom she guarded.

Jamie didnt know about all of that, but he did know those blue eyes that glimmered with mischief could have made him fall to his knees.

He finally brought himself back to the conversations "can a lion hold himself back better Ser Jamie?"

He was saved from answering by the passing of Ned Stark, Jamie smirked and moved into his path making Ned frown "Your pardon."

"I hear we might be neighbours soon. I hope it's true." Jamie said his voice full of scorn causing the woman beside him to roll her eyes. Jamie and her uncle both had a bone to pick with Ned Stark after he had them arrested for killing Aegon. The Stark man looked at Jamie like he was something stuck on this shoe even as he politely answered "Yes, the king has honoured me with his offer."

"I'm sure we'll have a tournament to celebrate the new title, if you accept. It would be good to have you in the field."

Deciding to intervene Kara spoke "My grandfather says you are one of the best swordsmen he knows, it would be interesting to see you fight against the men in have grown up knowing to be the best."

Jamie tilted his head towards his companion eyes taking on a softer look that Neds ever watchful eyes noticed. For a moment Ned wondered if the Kingslayer had changed then he followed the womans words with "Yes, other than Faramir and his kin, the competition has become a bit stale."

Ned frowned choosing to address the young woman who spoke more respectfully "While I am honored by Lord Caspians words, I don't fight in tournaments."

Jamie smirked leaning closer to Ned with a mocking tone "No? Getting a little old for it?"

"I don't fight in tournaments because when I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do."

"Well said." Jamie said as Ned simply nodded to Kiara and walked around the two, Kiara looked to Jamie "Well that was nicely handled."

"Oh, shut up."

Kiara sighed and turned to walk away but Jamie caught her wrist "Where are you going?"

Kiara turned looking into Jamies eyes and she saw the fact that he did not wish to left alone here. "I'm going to Raksha to Ned, you may come if you wish Ser."

Jamie nodded and followed after her, he stopped for just a moment feeling eyes on his back. Turning his head his eyes caught with and identical pair, his sister was watching him a cold fury in her gaze. Thats when Jamie realized Kiara had also stopped and he still had a ahold of her wrist, he dropped it quickly and sent his sister a warning glance before he motioned for Kiara to lead on.

Kiara said nothing until they were outside away from the party goers "Is everything alright?"

Jamie shrugged "My sister saw us together."

A shrug "Why would that matter, we are often together, no one else thinks anything of it."

"Just watched yourself my lady, once my sister decides that someone is here enemy she will not rest until that persons life is miserable."

"Isn't that they truth!" A drunken voice called from the darkness of the barn they had entered causing both soldiers to roll their eyes.

Tyrion Lannister, the younger brother of Jamie, and the wisest dumb person that Kiara knew. He smiled at Kiara "Lady Kiara, thy beauty yet to be seen and yet already driving the ladies of the court, namely my sister, to jealousy."

Kiara rolled her eyes glancing to the door where Raksha was enttering the barn, around about the Direwolves were growling in fear. "I know not why everyone imagines I am beautiful under my helmet."

Jamie tilted his head looking down as Raksha rubbed against him fondly as he replied "Because many saw your mother after she was unveiled, her beauty astounded the masses."

Kiara said nothing, though for just a moment her heart hurt, for though she knew that Jamie could never be hers, it hurt to think he wished to be her mothers.

_________________________________________________

Across the seas Lorn shook his head in minor disgust as around him the Dothkari partied like Wildmen. His mother had often said she had long wished to leave the Dothkari because of how barbaric they were. When the Khal had married her off to the young knight who had traveled through she had not imagined how deeply she would fall in love with him.

Daenyrys eyes were wide with horror as she watched the proceedings, and when two men began to fight ending in the death of one she gasped. Lorn chuckled "A Dothraki wedding without at least three deaths is considered a dull affair. I nearly killed more than one at my sisters wedding to Prince Oberyn, the bedding is such a disgusting affair."

Danys eyes moved from the brutality to her protector "They are savages." She whispered causing Lorn to shrug "So are the men of Westeros, they simply have found how to disguise their savagery beneath pretty clothes and fancy words. The Dothkari are not so, they let men see them as they truly are. Perhaps it is not the best way, but it is their way and we must learn to live with it."

As they spoke a man approached that caused Lorn to frown as they announced his name "Jorah the Andal."

The man bowed to Daenyrys "A small gift for the new Khaleesi - songs and histories from the Seven Kingdoms."

Dany smiled "Thank you, Ser. Are you from my country?"

It was Lorn who answered "Ser Jorah Mormont of Bear Island."

Jorah looked to Lorn and nodded "And you are Lorn Caspian, of Tygros..." He looked away from Lorn back to Dany" I served your father for many years. Gods be good, I hope to always serve the rightful ruler."

Lorn glanced the man over with suspicion in his eyes as Dany thanked him "Iwon't forget that once I claim the throne, Ser Jorah."

Jorah smiled "The Mormonts have faithfully served the Targaryens for generations, Your Grace. My grandfather, Jasper Mormont, was even a member of your grandfather Aegon's Kingsguard."

"Jasper Mormont, known as the Great Bear." Lorn informed his Princess as Jorah nodded "Aye, he was."

"He sounds like he was an interesting man."

The former lord bpwed and walked away and Dany looked to her trusted protector "You do not like him."

Lorn shrugged "Its not a matter of like, little Dany, its a matter of trust, and that man has done many things that make him untrustworthy."

Nothing else was said as Illyrio approached them bearing a chest, when opened it revealed three dragons eggs. Daenerys eyes widened in awe as Illyrio spoke "Dragons' eggs, Daenerys, from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai. The ages have turned them to stone, but they will always be beautiful."

"Thank you Magistrar."

Lorn smiled as he watches his wards face, since her childhood he had protected this girl. He at times felt like a father towards her, feeling he had never had towards Viserys. And that love was what kept him going, what made it to where the nights wishing he was at home with his family were worth it. This girl would one day be his queen, and finally bring the Usurper who murdered Rhager down.

Yes, one day it would all be worth it, one day he and his family would be reunited. The prices we pay in war are not fair, but at the ned of the day the sun would rise on a new land with a new ruler from an old dynasty.

________________________________________________

Authors note: Well I know its been a while, but here we go a new chapter for "By Their Stripes" hope you enjoy!

Vote, Follow, Comment, Share Some Love!

Disclaimer: I own nothing but my OC's

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.4K 1.9K 11
Declining in health and uncertain about his house's future in his eldest son's hands, King Aerys II makes the announcement that any of his children m...
96.6K 3K 64
Lya Baratheon is the oldest and only biological child of Cersei Lannister and Robert Baratheon, but unlike her younger brother she is kind and gentle...
486K 17.2K 50
Jace/Female OC -NOT A SELF INSERT SMUT A bit of a Cregan Stark side story. He pleases BOTH of his dragons. That's all I'm gonna say about that. Precu...
45.9K 1.3K 35
"Blood of the Old runs thick... the winds of change will stir..." Why the Doom of Valyria occurred had been a mystery to all across Essos and Westero...