SMILE » n. longbottom

By calypsora

When a story tells of a girl with lungs full of liquid and a boy with a heart full of courage, only time can... More

prologue
introduction
portion i
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
portion ii
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
portion iii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
portion iv
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l
li
lii
liii
liv
lv
lvi
lvii
portion v
lviii
lix
lx
lxi
lxii
lxiii
lxiv
portion vi
lxv
lxvi
lxvii
lxviii
lxix
portion vii
lxx
lxxii
portion viii
lxxiii
lxxiv
lxxv
lxxvi
lxxvii
lxxviii
lxxix
lxxx
portion ix
lxxxi
lxxxii
portion x
lxxxiii
lxxxiv
lxxxv
lxxxvi
lxxxvii
lxxxviii

lxxi

136 4 0
By calypsora

"UNEXPECTED GUESTS"

A few uneventful weeks had passed into the summer. Some days Alana would wake up to the entire mansion empty. But when she woke up this particular morning, she heard voices down the hall towards the living room. Her parents would never have people over normally, so she found this odd.

She pulled on a large sweater, socks, and soft slippers that could aid her in making any noise. It was the early hours of the morning, and guests at this time would have been odd in a different household as well.

Alana opened her door slightly, squeezed through the opening, and shut the door behind her. She crossed to the other side of the hallway, and walked down towards the noise of people conversing, sticking to the walls, where the floorboards had been used far less than the boards towards the middle of the hallway.

She reached the living room door where it had been accidentally left open. Alana had her back face the door, and let her right ear listen in.

Barely any words could be made out. Except for ones like bound and statuses. What could that mean? Alana wondered what these people could be talking about. She sensed her father talking in a low settled voice, and more words could be made out, continue, desire, families.

The voices in the room became silent, and she could hear a tapping noise come closer towards the door. She was unsure of what to make of it until within a second, the door swung open loudly and out came a brutish cloaked figure who pointed a wand towards her.

Alana stayed silent and still, but bewildered at the sight of someone threatening her own life within her own home.

The hooded figure motioned with their head for her to walk into the living room. She obeyed, and within an instant, her father spoke out rather aggressively towards the figure, "Put away your wand." His eyes shot dangers to the figure, yet he remained calm, sitting still in his seat and clasping a glass of dark amber.

In the room there was more unrecognizable or distinguishable figures who hid their faces from sight, that hung about the outer rim of the room. However within the inner seating of the room, there sat her father who is the head of the Wallace household, and her mother. On the opposite side sat two silver haired guests, who looked towards her with interest.

Her mother motioned with her hand towards her, "This is Alana, my daughter." Alana returned her focus towards the two. As the shock from the previous event died down, she recognized one of them as one of her fellow students -- Draco Malfoy.

Alana nodded politely and made her way to sit on one of the lone armchairs. The other person, the woman sitting next to Draco had dark and silver hair, and an aged face. She had been looking at Alana particularly.

"I had heard of the wretched boy's betrayal of you, my dear," she muttered. "It is with great respect for the Dark Lord, that he would not do the same to us."

She kept a straight face, but wondered to herself about how discussing an ally to the Boy might not be the best of ideas, how the woman might have just meant to send her condolences in some way.

Draco spoke out, "My mother means to say, we're glad you made up your mind, of course."

Some of the cloaked figures exchanged glances, and shortly after, one walked forward. "Might I say, Alana Wallace," the figure spoke to her. "You haven't exactly given yourself to the Dark Lord. You bear no evidence of such ... devotion."

"There will be no talk of that again. That matter has already been officially discussed," Aronn Wallace stated. He swirled the dark amber liquid within the glass, and swallowed the rest of it down. There was a silence in the air. Mrs. Malfoy's eye held some sort of anticipation for what would come next. Alana's father set down the glass on the table that was between them all, and set his focus onto Alana. "There is something that must be said ... the Malfoys and the Wallaces have decided that our households should form an alliance. Our familiarity with each other cements this idea."

Alana nodded in agreement. The two households are definitely allies considering their connection to him. Her mother smiled, and said matter-of-factly, "Dear, the alliance that your father is talking about is one that bonds the families by vows. The young Malfoy is to be your fiancée."

"We're barely even sixteen ..." Alana ground out before her mind stopped. She had no room to criticize the decision. But still, it angered her. Her face turned a crimson as she looked up to the boy who had tormented her and many students in the previous years.

"Yes," Mrs. Malfoy agreed with her statement. She continued on, "it's been decided that our families be officially joined after you both finish your schooling."

So, after Hogwarrs. That would give her around two years. To maybe get out of it, of course. She had no intent to actually elope with this jerk, but she would be fine with faking the union until the deadline. Alana nodded, with a concerned emotion played onto her face.

"Perhaps," her mother begun, "you two would like to converse on your own. Draco, my dear, you should tour our gardens and forest." The two looked at each other, and sat up. They made their way out into the hallway, and shut the door behind them.

On the other side of the door, their parents continued to converse. Alana turned on her heels towards one direction of the hallway, and let him follow her. She walked out of the back door, which opened out into a paved back patio.

Alana turned to Draco, and asked jokingly, "So, where's my ring?"

"You can't be ser—"

"Well, of course not," she interrupted. The two stay silent, as they made their way across the patio to where the garden's entrance was — through a tall hedge's arch they walked through to a circular garden where it's middle opened into a large fountain out of the ground.

From the different sections of the garden were different flowers that all shared the same color, a dark purple-red which looked as if it would be sour if consumed. Alana turned to look back at the mansion, and it was hardly within view. She then turned back to Draco, and uttered, "I heard about your father. No matter what he's done, losing him must be hard either way."

"I'm not really losing him, he's only ... away for a while, I suppose," he mumbled, making out the words on his tongue.

"It's terrible either way, what's happening to him ..."

"There's no need to send your condolences, I'm sure there's tons of people that feel as though I'm affected by this," his eyes stuck, holding an emotion that is hard to read.

The two of them stopped speaking, and made their way through the garden, until they could stray out of another archway that lead to the forest that surrounded the property. With the crisp steps on the long grass, Alana asked him, "Are we actually going to ... marry?"

"It makes sense," he uttered only.

"But, with all that's been happening, wouldn't it be unlikely for it to happen ... ?" Alana questioned rather unsure.

Draco did not respond that time, but Alana was fine with not taking over for the moment. They walked beside and scaled the slight hill of the forest. They continued on, until they saw that the front door of the mansion had been opened, with Mrs. Malfoy and the minions walking out.

Mrs. Malfoy whistled just enough for her son to hear her, and he turned to Alana, "Well, it looks like I've got to go. I've got to say ... your house is very quaint and homey. See you at school."

And so, the Malfoys and their band of protectors headed off the property. Draco and his mother into a car along with a few of the protectors, and the rest of the protectors turns into a black dust that looked to be carried away by the wind, even though there was none.

Alana continued her stroll around the surrounding forest, and upon this stroll she came across something odd: a loose owl feather.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

264K 10.5K 21
「𝗣𝗔𝗥𝗔𝗠𝗢𝗨𝗥」❝That boy is really strange❞ ▪︎ Synopsis ▪︎ Kaia McKinnon is inattentive, and not that she could handle it. It was just how she had...
16 0 7
Enter the enchanting world of Hogwarts as we follow the remarkable journey of Taylor Riddle, a bright, spirited girl with an insatiable thirst for ad...
5K 227 55
You have always admired Cedric Diggory, you realize you might actually have a chance. Out of nowhere the last person you would have expected turns ou...
4.3K 27 18
Just a bunch of one-shots with various Harry Potter characters. Mostly Angst and Fluff! I will put tigger warnings at the beginnings of chapters when...