Never Without You │ BOTW mode...

By Finnclarkson

A relationship between an internationally praised athlete and a straight A student who hates any kind of atte... More

Quick Welcome Back!
Different
Your Fault
One More Day
Just the Two of Us
Broken
I Had So Many Reasons
Birthday Candles
Make a Wish
Expelled
The Heart of Hyrule
Consequences
A One-Time Thing
Drunk
No Means No
Fool
I Do
You
A Good Day
Do It Again
Happiness
There's Nothing Wrong With Being a Virgin
A Dead Sparrow On The Pavement
Hey
Overthinking is a Waste of Time
Letting Go and Moving On
3F
Aryll
よろしくおねがいします
宮本リンク
みらい
おやすみ
コンビニ
夏祭り
ルト
過去
新しい関係と古い傷跡
立ち呑みやま
祇園 小森
Hero
Good Person
Bad Person
Breaking Up
I haven't been honest about Ruto
All the Things that Hurt Us
Breath of the Wild
Mount Lanayru
Slumbering Power
Just Feel
Never Without You
While We Were Gone
Hyrule University vs. Karusa Valley
You and Me, No Lovers
A Smile on Revali's Sour Face
Kiroh
Taking a Shower
Can't Always Get What You Want
Homeless
Another Smiley Face on the Glass
Mía
Death Wish
Not Safe
Prison
Consent
Taking a Life
Already dead
Everything I Do is For Us
I'm Not Going Anywhere
If you could snap your fingers and make it all go away
Flowers and Chocolate
Bus Stop
Deku
I Vowed to Protect Your Daughter
We're Not Friends
Temptation
Nobody to Blame
Love Can Take Many Forms
Therapy
A Complex Puzzle
Lemonade
Shad
Bonfire
When She Gives Her Heart to Him, She Breaks My Heart in Two
The Crying of Lot 49
Eternal Riddler
Ramses
Game of Doors
Brothers
We Are Getting Married
Bumblebee
Tennis Ball
I Made Sure of That
Thanksgiving
Just For One Night

Tell Me Everything's Fine

6.3K 224 606
By Finnclarkson

Link's POV

It's nice to have the frat house all to myself but I'm bored out of my mind. Already worked out today but I think I overestimated what my body can handle so I ended up taking some meds. Now I'm just laying in bed with nothing to do. The painkillers made me kinda tired. Man, I just want to be able to run and lift weights again...

I should get up before I pass out. I walk downstairs to grab the mail. This only proves how bored I am, I never get the mail. Neither do the others honestly. And then the mailbox fills up to the point where there's no more space and the mailman has to literally deliver our mail to the porch.

I empty the mailbox and almost drop half of it on my way back inside. Other than fanmail, there's only one letter addressed to me. I leave the rest of the mail on the dining table and open the envelope with my name. It's from HU.

"Dear Link Miyamoto,

It is with deep regret that we are informing you of your termination from the kinesiology program at Hyrule University due to recent transgressions on campus."

Wait what?

"The decision has been made by the board of members. The behavior you displayed at the events of February 22nd is not tolerated by the institution."

There's more bullshit but my brain's not able to process any of it. What the hell? Termination? I knew I was suspended from baseball for the rest of the season but... what the hell is this? Am I getting kicked out of school?

Shit!

I call Zelda. She might be in class right now but I call anyway. When she doesn't pick up, I call again. Maybe she's at the library and has her phone on mute.

Oh shit, please answer, I'm kinda freaking out over here.

God damnit. Where is she? I thought the fact that the police dropped charges meant I was off the hook! There's no way I'm losing my scholarship over some fight I don't even remember!

I don't waste a second. I grab my keys and leave the house. I have to find Zelda. If I'm getting kicked out I can't afford to transfer. Which means I'll lose my visa and have to leave the US! There's no way that's gonna happen. No way!

I don't even know where to look first. I search the library but she's not there. I want to go to the science building next but while I pass the auditorium I remember how she's been hanging out with Pik lately, so maybe she'll be there.

I walk into the auditorium before I consider that the theater kids might be rehearsing. But the lights are off and the stage is empty. I guess I'll go to the science building then. Wait, I hear music coming from the back. Could be her! Slim chance but I have to check. Best case it's Pik and he can tell me where she is.

I walk backstage and around some props and theater stuff until I find out where the music is coming from. It's some dude playing that handheld piano thing. Accordion is what it's called, I think. He stops playing when he notices me.

"Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt," I say and turn around.

"Not a problem, I'm on break anyway."

I don't really feel like talking to strangers right now but what choice do I have? I turn back towards him. "Do you know Pik by any chance?"

"He's my teacher, yes."

"Do you know where he is? I'm looking for my girlfriend and he might be with her."

"You're Link, aren't you?" I nod. "I'm Kass, it's a pleasure to finally meet you. Zelda and Pik were here not too long ago."

"Any idea where they went?"

"My teacher had a class to attend. As for your girlfriend, I'm not sure."

Shit. "Okay, thanks," I start walking but he starts talking again before I reach the doors.

"Before you go, I've something I must ask of you. I have a song I need you to hear."

"Me?" I don't have time for this!

"If you wait and listen, I will call my teacher and ask about the whereabouts of your girlfriend."

"Okay, fine."

"Thank you ever so much."

Anything to find her. She'll probably tell me I misunderstood the letter or something. She's smart, she can fix this.

"This song tells the story of a young man who was the court poet for the royal family in medieval times. Though he must have known it was doomed to be unrequited, he fell in love with the princess. The princess only had eyes for her escort, her own knight attendant. The poet was consumed with jealousy... He fumed that the knight was neither nobility nor royalty himself. And then the calamity struck. He believed a hero would appear to beat back the calamity. He poured that belief into a song..."

Kass plays his instrument and starts to sing.

"An ancient hero, a calamity appears,
Now resurrected after 10,000 years.
Her appointed knight gives his life,
Shields her figure and pays the price.
The princess' love for her fallen knight awakens her power,
And within the castle, the Calamity is forced to cower.
But the knight survives!
In the shrine of resurrection he sleeps,
Until from his healing sleep he leaps.
For fierce and deadly trials await.
To regain his strength. Fulfill his fate.
To become a hero once again!
To wrest the princess from evil's den.
The hero, the princess, hand in hand,
Must bring the light back to this land."

The music fades out. Why's my heart beating faster now? This story isn't made up, is it? Pik's the poet. Zelda the princess. Which would make me the–

"Thank you for listening."

"Not bad. Who wrote it?"

"My teacher did. I will call him now." Why did he want me to hear it? All this song did was tell me I fell into a coma and let everyone down... And that Pik's crushing on Zelda, and that people are expecting me to train hard so I can beat the Boars. Either this is Pik's way of making fun of me or he's trying to say I'm good enough for Zelda now? Shit, I don't even really care what Pik's message is, I just want to find Zelda right now and have her tell me everything's fine.

After a quick call, Kass hangs up the phone and takes his sweet time to tell me where Zelda is. He even picks up his instrument before he finally looks at me.

"She went to the pool to support a friend," he says and I don't even thank him, I'm already out the doors. I didn't know Mipha had a swim meet today but even if I did I probably wouldn't have thought to look there. Let's hope Zelda is still there.

Mipha's POV

"It's starting any second now," my teammate informs me kindly. I give her a thankful nod and quietly speak into my phone.

"Father, I must go now."

"Very well," he answers in a slightly forlorn tone. "Let me know how it goes. Be strong, but promise not to strain yourself too much."

"I promise."

I hang up and place my phone back in the locker before heading out to the pool. I feel awful for causing Father sorrow. Left all alone in that vast house, he must feel lonely. I miss him dearly. If I had stayed close to home, I would be able to visit him more often. Perhaps Sidon would have stayed as well if I hadn't moved to America.

When I left Japan to study medicine, I was told how brave and selfless my act was. I wanted to believe them. I tried. But what if they are wrong? What if I'm neither selfless nor brave?

I want what is best for my family, there is no doubt about that, and I will strive to achieve that goal, but... choosing this school was anything but arbitrary. It was a whim, really, I had a purpose for coming here.

Link.....

Unfortunately, he has become somebody else's purpose. And there is nothing I can do about that.

I thought Link and I could remain close friends but every time I see him, I can only think of Zelda's face. My gracious friend. And how much I despise the idea of her by his side. And as if it wasn't bad enough, I keep catching myself wishfully thinking of getting closer to him. I can't believe I almost asked him to meet me at the pool in private just like we used to... With my heart still longing for him, getting close to him would be wrong. I see that now.

I was unintentionally so focused on getting ahead of Zelda, to be more special than her, that all I could think of doing was to become the one he sought for comfort. The one he depended on, even when he doesn't need medical attention. But truth be told, I was simply searching for a distraction from the fact that Link and I have drifted apart. He is my phantom limb.

And I can't even say I regret any of the things that happened last year. After all, he is happy now and that's all I ever truly wanted. I always knew there was a chance we would end up like parallel lines; close but never together. That his happiness would spring from someone else. And deep down I am very happy that he found someone like Zelda. Someone who will always take good care of him.

But there is always a but. I just have to remind myself that, even though it may hurt now, their relationship doesn't mean that I cannot be friends with Link. It may just take some time for us to rebuild the friendship we had.

When Zelda told me she was planning on spending the summer at my home, with the boy I fell in love with first, I got so angry inside, I nearly refused to help with the planning. And when Link posted that picture of them together... It really hurt to see something I always wished for in the hands of another.

I don't want to feel anger toward them. What kind of a friend am I if their happiness brings tears to my eyes?

Ever since then, I have kept my distance from both of them. I am too scared of hurting their feelings with my untamed emotions, I think this is for the best. Even keeping distance hurts, but I'm glad I have Revali to talk to. He has been a great friend these past months. Whenever I talk about Zelda and Link, I can tell by his looks that he bears it pain-stricken. But he never utters a single word of hatred. He simply listens to my immature rant.

Revali truly has a kind soul and, despite his rivaling nature, he is a very compassionate man. And the only person I can be myself with. Lately, when he looks at me, an unusual calm comes over me. My heart is divided... I like him, perhaps more than I would like to admit, but part of me fears that he is serving as mere distraction from my heartache. If that is the case, then I should distance myself from him too before I cause him any more pain. I have to look within and find out where my heart is leaning.

After all this time we have spent together, it will be just as, if not more painful to let Revali go. I detest these thoughts of mine. So many people have been hurt through my actions... I suppose that settles it; they were wrong. I'm neither selfless nor brave...

Having taken off my jacket, I leave it folded on the bench and take my place alongside my team. I mustn't think of my personal predicament right now. I have sworn to lead my team with strength, integrity, and pride. All of which I'm lacking at this very moment. But they trust in me to guide them to the nationals and I will do my best to succeed at that.

Out of habit, I look at the stands to find his face among the crowd of spectators. My eyes stop at Revali and I give him a shy smile, giving it my best to hide the rue I feel at the slight disappointment of finding him instead of Link. Looking a bit further, I find another familiar face.

Surprised to see her, I give Zelda a similar smile. I wasn't expecting her to be here... Despite the distance I forcefully put between us, she has come to support my team... I feel incredibly blessed at this very moment! I can't believe she came despite my rude behavior.

I don't look at the stands a second time until the competition is over. In spite of our best efforts, we only make it to first place by half a second. Next time I will do better. It is my duty as the team's captain.

As soon as I leave the water, I go change. After each meet, I always dwell on the past. I miss those times when Link would lend me his jacket. He always took such good care of me, and I of him. Now we seldom speak or see each other. I hope that can change in the future.

Having changed back into my casual clothing, I leave the locker room with my bag over my shoulder. Zelda is still here, waiting next to the pool by herself. She waves to me when our eyes meet. I walk over to her with a heavy heart.

"Hey! You did amazing," she applauds.

"Thank you. I wasn't expecting you."

"I would watch your tournaments more often but I usually have class this time of day. Today, my last class got cancelled, that's why I was able to attend the competition."

"I'm happy you made it," I say and relief washes over her features.

"Really? Because I thought maybe I offended you somehow? You haven't really been answering my texts so... I wasn't sure if I upset you or if you were just busy or didn't see my texts."

Should I lie or tell her the truth? It seems obvious which one is the morally correct choice, but is telling the truth always the right thing to do? If a lie can prevent a friend from hurting, wouldn't that make it the right choice? I suppose that depends on which quality we value more; honesty or loyalty.

"Finals had me preoccupied. And... Well, I had a lot on my mind. Some personal issues," I vaguely explain.

"Are you okay? Do you want to talk about it?"

"Maybe some other time."

"Whenever you feel ready, I'm here for you," she says with a comforting smile. "Are we okay though? You're not mad at me?"

"We are okay." It's not that I have a problem with her. I have a problem with myself. I just can't help but feel jealous around her. And her being so nice to me makes me feel worse about myself.

Perhaps I should tell her the truth and get it out of my system. Even if it costs me my friendship, she deserves to know how I feel. I want to let go of Link--no, I don't want to, I have to... And this might be the first step.

"How did he react to the surprise?" I stall.

"He loved it! Thanks again for helping me out, I really apprecaite it!"

I have to tell her how I feel. "Zelda..." I begin but she interrupts me, gaping at her phone with a worried expression.

"Hold on, sorry. I have multiple missed calls from Link." I can't say the same... "This is unusual. He never calls me while I'm at school. I have to call him back. He might be hurt."

"Goodnes! Yes, please call him."

"Zelda," Link's voice sounds but it's not coming from her phone.

We turn toward the direction of his voice. Link is standing by the exit, a couple of feet away from us. I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks, and even though he hasn't changed much on the outside, everything about him feels different. I wonder if he has recovered all of his memories by now.

"Hello Link," I am the first to greet him with a shy smile.

"Hi Mipha, how've you been?" He walks up to us. It's impossible to read his expression. He seems a bit skittish.

"What are you doing here? Are you okay?" Zelda asks him.

His eyes return to me for a brisk moment, then they jump back to Zelda. "Yeah." That look he gave me... I have a feeling he is behaving differently because I'm here. Is it because he remembers the kiss? Or is something else bothering him?

"I'm sorry I missed your calls. I was with Pik earlier and he was writing a song so I didn't want my notifications to be disrupting," Zelda explains.

He shrugs it off. "It's fine." Then he scratches the back of his nape. It's his habit of nervousness. As much as I would like to be included, perhaps I should give them some privacy. He clearly came here for Zelda.

"I would love to catch up with the two of you, but I have to go find my team now," I excuse myself.

"Oh okay," Zelda gives me a quick smile. "You did excellent today. Congratulations on first place."

"I appreciate it, thank you." After a timid nod toward Link, I make my exit through the doors and hurry down the hall.

Not thinking, I find my phone in my bag and call Revali. He is always quick to answer my calls, even when he is at practice. When he picks up, I can make out the sound of an arrow hitting a target in the background.

"Watch the windage, you moron!" I hear Revali shouting.

"Revali?" I quietly make myself known.

"Hey, sorry, my incompetent teammates are ruffling my feathers today," he says with a strong empathis, making sure the others hear him. Then he continues in a more reserved tone. "I mean, they're trying, I guess. It's not their fault they suck." He always tries to be nicer when I'm around. It would be lying if I said I didn't find it charming. "By the way, sorry for bolting after the competition but I was already late for practice. You did great though. Wanted to tell you that in person."

"Thank you so much. You didn't have to come, I know you have practice this time of the day."

"No, it's fine, I like to watch. It's the only enjoyable part of my day, honestly."

I blush at his words. He really is so very charming. And something about his words always feels so genuine. He is loyal as well as honest. Even when it comes to his own feelings, whether good or bad, he never hides anything from me.

"Revali? Would you like to spend the evening with me?"

"Uh—um," he stumbles surprised. "Yeah, yeah for sure. We can grab a bite, just let me know what time."

"How about right after your practice?"

"Guys," he yells away from the phone, "We're finishing up early, pack up."

"You said we have to stay longer today," someone says.

"Yeah, you said we need more practice," another one adds.

"Go home before I change my mind!" Revali barks at them.

"I didn't mean right now," I let out a brisk giggle.

"Is right now too soon?" He asks.

"Right now is perfect," I say with an excited smile and make my way to the archery training ground.

----

Hey guys!! Never Without You hit THREE milestones this week! Thank you sooo much for 20K reads, 1K votes, and 3K comments! Voting and commenting really helps my story so keep doing that heheh ^^

For those of you who like to use the Text-to-speech feature, I'm sorry that it hasn't been enabled for NWY yet. I got it to work at one point but now it won't work and Wattpad hasn't fixed the issue yet. So I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I hope they fix it soon.

On the bright side, someone DMed me and said I should draw the frat boys, so here they are! (Left to right: Kafei, Teli, Link, Ravioli)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.4K 123 12
what happens when two so called enemies get drunk one night and it changes their lives forever? Do they become lovers? Do they agree on forgetting ab...
19.3K 190 18
UA students, their parents, pro heroes and previous OFA users watch superhero media. (Starting over since the first one get deleted out of nowhere)
24.8K 319 72
This story is a Fanfic of Wings of Fire (HUMAN AU)! Our main characters, Winter and Moon go through the struggles of high school. Winter goes through...
604K 13.6K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.