Falling Away #Watty 2024

By clarajoelwrites

Zoey Hughes's life had all the drama she never wanted, from her parent's enigma which led to a flummox divorc... More

Author's note
• Chapter 1 •
° Chapter 2 °
•Chapter 3•
°Chapter 4°
•Chapter 5•
•Chapter 7•
°Chapter 8°
•Chapter 9•
•Chapter 10•
•Chapter 11•
•Chapter 12•
•Chapter 13•
•Chapter 14•
•Chapter 15•
•Chapter 16•
•Chapter 17•
•Chapter 18•
•Chapter 19•
•Chapter 20•
•Chapter 21•
•Chapter 22•
•Chapter 23•
•Chapter 24•
•Chapter 25•
•Chapter 26•
•Chapter 27•
•Chapter 28•
•Chapter 29•
•Chapter 30•
•Chapter 31•
•Chapter 32•
•Chapter 33•
•Chapter 34•
•Chapter 35•
•Chapter 36•
•Chapter 37•
•Chapter 38•
•Chapter 39•
•Chapter 40•
•Chapter 41•
•Chapter 42•
•Chapter 43•
•Chapter 44•
•Chapter 45•
•Chapter 46•
•Chapter 47•

°Chapter 6°

31 4 23
By clarajoelwrites

"You won't believe what I saw!" Caroline practically exclaimed as we stood in line for lunch.

"What?" I asked, curious.

"Josh asked Gemma out. I overheard them on my way to chemistry class," Caroline said, her voice tinged with disbelief.

Heat surged through my body, and tears threatened to spill from my eyes. Josh had chosen Gemma over me. How could he betray me like this?

"I thought Josh was in love with you, Zoey. I thought he cared about you. But it seems I was wrong," Caroline sighed, shaking her head. "That party wasn't a good idea after all."

I ate my lunch in silence, seething with anger. I wanted to lash out at Gemma, to scream at Josh, but I knew I had bigger things to focus on. The national championship was fast approaching, and I couldn't afford to let this distraction affect my performance.

"What are you going to do?" Caroline asked, her expression sympathetic. "Don't you want to try to win Josh back?"

"I do, Caroline, but right now, my priority is the championship. I can't afford to let anything distract me, especially not those lovebirds," I replied, placing a hand on my forehead. "I need to win this game."

She rolled her eyes. "This isn't something you should be bothering yourself about. You always win anyway."

I gave her a bright smile and tied my hair in a ponytail. "I have to practice. See you later."

Caroline couldn't believe I was taking the upcoming championship seriously, and honestly, neither could I. I spent the rest of the afternoon playing basketball. Mrs. Lanai led the practice, introducing us to new moves. I was feeling particularly enthusiastic about the game and didn't even notice when Trina was absent. Mrs. Lanai called out for her, but she wasn't around.

"What's going on? Where's Trina?" Mrs. Lanai furrowed her brow. "This is unlike her."

I lowered my head and sat on the bleachers, taking a sip of water from my plastic bottle. Glancing over at Mrs. Lanai and the others as they tried to contact Trina, I asked for permission to leave and made my way toward the hallway. On my way, I came across Gemma.

"You, witch!" I stood opposite her, glaring like a ravenous lion ready to devour its prey. "You've gone too far this time, and I won't let you snatch what's mine."

"I don't get you," Gemma gave me an innocent look.

"Let me set things straight for you," I seethed with indignation. "I don't want you anywhere near Josh, you're the reason he left me. Do you think you're better than me?"

"Josh broke up with you. How is that my fault? Leave me alone, I don't have time to discuss this with you," Gemma retorted, a smirk playing on her lips. "I have better things to do."

I glared at her, my anger boiling over. With no one around to debate who started the fight, I knew I had to act. I ran toward her and nudged her, causing her to stumble but not fall.

"What's wrong with you?" she demanded loudly.

"Stay away from Josh, or I'll..."

"You'll what, Zoey?" Josh's voice interrupted as he suddenly came between us, defending Gemma. "You and I are not together anymore. Zoey, I don't think I have to repeat myself."

Staring at him with teary eyes, I turned and stomped off toward the locker room, pushing the wide door open. I grabbed my bag from my locker and made my way out toward the car.

AFTER DINNER, MOM came up to my room while I was changing into my pajamas. I could tell from her appearance that she was in mom mode and about to start with her lecturing personality.

"Zoey, how are you doing?" she inquired.

I was tempted to ask her about her health, but I didn't want her to know I cared. So, I just pretended and acted accordingly.

"I'm fine," I responded, switching on the TV to my favorite channel. I sat on my bed, ready to watch.

"Zoey, your sister told me Josh broke up with you." She stood in front of the flat-panel television, blocking my view.

I wasn't in the mood to start discussing Josh. After what he said today, I didn't want to ever see him again. But how could I explain that to mom? She wouldn't understand.

"I don't want to dwell on the past," I said simply.

She looked disturbed for a moment, but when she realized I wasn't in the mood to talk, she just gave me a goodnight kiss and left the room. My mom and I haven't had a good mother-daughter time for as long as I can recall. Everything changed when I found out she was having an affair with a guy she barely knew. Mom figured out I told Dad, she scolded me, and since then, things changed.

I spent the rest of the night watching my favorite TV series. The gifted. Until I slept off.

THE FIRST RAY of sunlight peeked through the curtains, signaling the start of a new day. I rose from the bed and checked the clock across the room. I had a few hours before I needed to start getting ready for the national championship.

As I descended the stairs, the aroma of Mrs. Becca's freshly toasted bread filled the air. I couldn't resist the temptation; her toast bread was always a delightful treat, especially in the mornings. It never failed to brighten my day, although it often led me to eat more than I should.

Entering the kitchen, I found Mrs. Becca standing by the kitchen counter, a tray of warm toast in hand. I settled into a seat at the dining table and helped myself to a slice.

"These are delicious," I remarked, unable to contain my enjoyment.

"I'm glad you like them, honey. I want you to eat well and stay healthy. Can't have you looking like a toothpick," Mrs. Becca said with a smile as she served up some scrambled eggs. "You need some meat on your bones, like me."

Her words caught me off guard, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of offense. While I appreciated her concern, I had no intention of gaining excess weight just to resemble her. I needed to stay fit for basketball.

Before I could respond, Ashley entered the kitchen, greeting Mrs. Becca with a hug before taking a seat beside me. We spent the morning preparing for the game, and I took a short nap afterward, setting my alarm to ensure I woke up on time.

THE CROWD FILLED the New Castle Fieldhouse, one of the largest high school basketball stadiums boasting a capacity of 7,829. Cheerleaders rallied for my team, and my fans cheered my name enthusiastically from the stands. I felt like royalty.

As the game was about to commence, a wave of unease washed over me. I glanced toward the spot where Josh typically sat during my championship matches, only to find it empty. My heart sank, a sudden sadness engulfing me.

I couldn't fathom it. The person I loved wasn't there. Josh's absence in my very first national championship match cut deep.

"What's on your mind, Zoey!" Mrs. Lanai's voice snapped me back to reality.

Taking a deep breath, I pushed aside my emotions and dashed onto the court, determined to appear composed and ready for action. But beneath the surface, I was grappling with a profound sense of loss.

THE GAME BEGAN, and I breathed a sigh of relief as I managed to score three points against the Wildcats. But little did I know, the worst was yet to unfold.

Julie scored another point, bringing us to the cusp of victory. All we needed was one more point to secure the win. I seized the basketball from a Wildcats player and surged toward the net, determined to seal our triumph. Yet, in a swift turn of events, a Wildcats player intercepted the ball and scored, followed by two more points.

Before I could comprehend, the Wildcats had tied the score. Panic surged within me—I couldn't let them snatch victory away. I refused to accept failure; I was determined to emerge victorious.

Gathering my resolve, I reclaimed the basketball and charged toward the net. As I leaped to make the winning shot, a sudden wave of uncertainty washed over me. My ankle twisted, and I crumpled to the ground in agony. The ball rolled from my grasp, seized by a teammate.

Julie extended her hand to assist me, but the pain was overwhelming. I swatted her hand away, unable to rise to my feet. With the help of two referees, I was escorted to the sidelines, where paramedics swiftly attended to my injury.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I was taken to the sickbay for examination. This couldn't be happening—not when victory was within reach.

"Miss Hughes," the doctor shook his head solemnly as he examined my leg. "I'm sorry to say, but you have a severe dislocation in your right leg. It's quite serious, and I regret to inform you that you won't be able to play basketball again."

His words pierced through me, and tears welled up in my eyes. "Don't say that, Mr. Thomas," I protested, my voice trembling with emotion. "I can't just give up basketball because you say so!"

The doctor's expression softened, but his resolve remained firm. "I understand your frustration, Miss Hughes, but it's imperative for your well-being."

I felt a surge of frustration coursing through me as the reality sank in. I attempted to stand, but the pain reminded me of my limitations. The paramedics arrived, assisting me into the ambulance as I cast a final glance at the basketball stadium.

Back at the hospital, the doctor reiterated the severity of my injury and provided me with crutches for support. With a heavy heart, I made my way to the car, where my dad awaited. He was briefed on the situation, and he sternly warned me against any further basketball endeavors.

Upon hearing the news, Mrs. Lanai expressed shock and assured my dad that she would ensure I refrained from playing basketball or engaging in physical activities that could exacerbate my condition. I felt a mix of frustration and resignation settling within me, realizing that my beloved sport was now beyond my reach.

I need that grade. I can't stop doing what makes me happy, I just can't stop playing basketball. I love it.

Thanks for reading this novel, I hope you enjoyed it.

Just touch that little ⭐ beneath. Vote° °comment•• and share•

Thanks once again.

Mi Amor

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

343K 4K 41
𝐋𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄- A stubborn grumpy girl, who lost mother when she was just a kid. Soon she finds out she has to move from Australia to America...
375 25 37
Sophomore, Autumn Fleetwood comes from a low-income family. Though not wealthy, her parents try to provide for her and her little brother as best as...
669 57 27
❝Never in my life have I met someone like you. You're someone that comes once in a lifetime.❞ - Lucas Williams ...
44K 1.8K 34
"What the hell did you do!?" I heard a feminine voice behind me. I groaned and turned around to meet a very angry face. I have never seen a girl this...