Hypoxia

By Idunn-Frostfall

"Who's idea was this again?' Corey asked between breaths. Sam and Colby just looked at each other. What happe... More

A/N
Prolougue
Why again?
Starting up
Ice!
Live feeds & weather warning
When it hits..
Wrong Rope
Grief 🥀
Hello?
I see him..
Under
"What's is going on YouTube.."

Flashbacks and avalanche.

5 0 0
By Idunn-Frostfall

         Day 27, 3;57 pm, Mt. Everest

       Sam shivered uncontrollably as he lay in the snow. He didn't know how long he had been there for. His mind was foggy and he could see straight. He could however made out above him a faint silhouette of a person.

       "Sam can you hear me?" A voice asked, it was coming form his radio" Do you copy?"

        Sam grabbed his radio with his hands which felt numb"Clare is that you?" He asked.

        "Yes it's me, Sam." Clare said."I'm here to help you but Sam you are too close to that ledge. Can you move yourself away from it so I can come and get you?"

        Sam didn't notice he was laying right next to a ledge but he was too drained to look. He tried to move but his muscle hurt as he did so.

         "I don't think I can." Sam said." My hands, my legs..their frozen. I can't feel them (cough) I don't think I can move."

       "You have to move, Sam. It's the only way."

      Sam tried again but he didn't have the energy to move himself"I can't." Sam said.

     The line went silent. "Don't leave me." Sam tired to say. His foggy mind was making him think Clare and his friends were going to leave him for dead. He began to close his eyelids , he just wanted it over. However a voice from the radio caused them to open again.

       "Sam are you okay bro? It's me, Colby." It was his best friend.

         "Colby, is that really you? I'm sorry I fell. I didn't mean to upset you."

        "No its okay Sam. Everything is going to be fine. Now I need you to move away from that ledge, can you do that?"

        "I'll try." Sam said. He forced himself into a sitting position and struggled to move away. He groaned as he pulled himself away, the more he moved the more it hurt. Hot tears fell down his cold face. His breaths came out deep and heavy. It felt like breathing through a straw.

        "Think happy thoughts, Sam." Colby encouraged." You can do this. Think of when we spent over night at the amusement park. Do you remember that?"

         "I remember you couldn't feel your mouth on the rollercoaster." Sam rasped, with a smile into the radio.

         Flashback

        Sam got into the rollercoaster, he was buckled him. He was honestly pretty scared about this. He was normally okay with rollercoaster rides but he wasn't a fan of this one. This one was a two sitter and took you up and you spun around as the rollercoaster was spinning.

       "Don't drop the camera dude." Colby said sitting next to him.

      " You ready guys?' Corey asked, how as standing next one of the park employees with Jake and Elton

     "No." Sam and Colby said a the same time.

      "Have a fun ride!" Corey said and with that the ride was shot into the air.

      "Oh NO NO NO!!"Sam screamed."AAHHHHHH!"

       "Oh this is NUTS!" Colby screamed equally as loud.

       "AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!"The two screamed for a full minute until the ride began to slow down.

      "Oh I have such a bad headache." Sam said." I have such a bad headache."

      "Wow dude, I literally can't feel my mouth right now!" Colby said. "Are they slowing us down?"

      "Please don't tell me they are stopping us when we are at the top of this friction thing." Sam said." No, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO!" He screeched.

      "Dude, I can't feel my mouth right now." Colby said.

       "Dude this thing is literally shaking and you're worried about your mouth?' Sam asked.

      "uh...yeah?" Colby and Sam looked at each other and laughed. It was the only time they laughed on the ride though because they were screaming for the rest of it.

     End of Flashback

      Sam smiled slightly at the memory, it helped him gain a bit more strength. He tired to think of another one.

       Flashback

      "Are you sure this stuff comes off?" Sam asked.

      "Um no?" Jake said adding more to the bucket.

      With the terrible heat they were getting that summer, Jake had a brilliant idea to film a prank on Elton with them dumping buckets full of water mixed with dye on him.

     "So Sam and Jake you guys will hide with the buckets and I film with the camera." Colby said.

      "How are we going to get Elton to come outside?" Sam asked.

     "Corey can put a amazon package at the door and then ring the doorbell, while Colby films behind that tree." Jake said." You now, he'll see the package and right as he leans to get it, we pounce."

     "You mean pour." Sam said.

      After filling up both of the buckets, Sam and Jake quickly hid behind the house pillar, while Colby turned on the camera, put the package down rung the door bell and then ran to hide.

    Elton opened the door and noticed the package."What do we have here?' He said leaning down.

     "Hey Elton!" Jake called.

       Elton looked up to have a bucket full of dyed water poured on him. Elton in seconds was covered form head to toe in blue water.

      "What is heck is this?" Elton asked.

     "It's dyed water, Elton!" Jake laughed.

     "You look like a surf right now." Sam said, laughing so hard, he was clenching his stomach.

      "Does this stuff come off?" Elton asked.

      "I don't think Jake check if it does." Colby said, unable to hold back his laughter.

     "Oh shoot." Elton muttered."I'm going to get you guys back for this."Elton went back into the house, leaving Sam and his friends dying of laughter.

      Flashback end

     "Come on, Sam you can do it." Colby said."Keep moving."

     Sam continued to move away from the ledge. His breath got more and more heavy as he moved.

     "Alright, Sam." Clare said.'That's good now just stay there. I'm coming to get you."

       Sam looked up to where Clare was staring to scale down to him. His vision was getting blurry again. His eyelids began to close again. He sunk his face into the snow.He then felt some one grab his arm. "Are you okay, Sam?' Clare asked."Come get up. Stay with me."

     Clare took off her oxygen mask and put it over Sam's mouth."Breath Sam, breath." She said."Everything is going to be fine, everything..thing is going..to be okay. Oh shoot!"

      Sam even with his bad vision, he could see Clare was panicked about something. She was fiddling around with her walkie talkie.

     " Clare to Base Camp, come on!" She said. "we have a very big problem. Sam and I standing on a potential avalanche."

       Day 27, 4;45 pm , Base camp

      "What do you mean you're on a potential avalanche?" Lincoln asked over the radio.

         "The ground is very unstable, were we are standing. I don't know how to get both of us back up with out setting off." Clare said.

      "Alright are you sure there is no way you two both can get back up?" Lincoln asked.

      "No that I can see. The weather up here is getting pretty bad." Clare said.

      "What is Sam's condition?"

       "He is very weak, he is shaking pretty bad too."

      "So can you get yourself back up?"

       "Darn you, Lincoln if you think I'm going to leave him here to die just to save my sorry butt" Clare angrily said.

      "Look Clare, I know you really want to save Sam but at this point I don't know what-" Clare cut him off.

      "No, Lincoln no. I'm not doing that."

       Anthea took the radio from Lincoln."Alright Clare, we aren't telling you to do it but you need a plan before that ledge gives away."

        Clare sighed into the radio."Anthea...do you remember 5 years ago? May 7? Near base 2?"

      Anthea thought for a second and then all hell broke loose."No, No No,!!! Clare you are not riding down that avalanche!"

      "What she is going to do what?" Lincoln asked confused.

        "Its the only way." Clare said.

       "You wouldn't make it!! Just stop! Don't do it!" Anthea yelled. She threw the radio on Lincoln's desk and rushed out of the tent.

        "Wow, wow Clare just explain to me step by step what you are going to do." Lincoln said.

        "Just now this Lincoln, if I die tell mum and dad I love them." Clare said.

        "Hold on, Clare just tell me what you are going to do!" Lincoln exclaimed but the line went dead. Lincoln dropped the radio onto the desk and put his head in his hands.

       "Lord save them." He said.

          Day 27, 4: 54 pm, Mt. Everest

          Clare carefully put Sam in a sitting position in front of her and wrapped her legs around his waist.

      "Alright, Sam I need you to stay calm and try to hold onto me. Okay?" Clare asked.

       "Uh huh." Sam mumbled.

        Clare took a deep breath."Okay, let's do this." She said. She began to bounce up and down on the ledge. "🎵Oh alway let you down, shattered on the ground🎵." She began to sing, Next to ME by Imagine dragons. Her dad said it was a poplar American song and was one of his favourite. She decided if she was going to die she might as well sing something that reminded her of her parents.

        "🎵Still I find you there next to me! And all the stupid things I do. I'm far for good as new.🎵" The more she sung the more the ledge began to give away. 'Still I find you there next to me!"

         Just as she finished the lyric the ledge gave away. Clare extended her arms and tightened her legs grip on Sam. " Always let you down." She sang as she and Sam began to slip down the slope in the arms of the avalanche." Shattered on the ground. Still I found you there next to me."

         A/N: Sorry about the cheesy song. I love Imagine Dragons and "Next To ME" is one of my favourite songs by them. I thought this chapter was going to be longer then my usually chapters but it turns it wasn't as long as I thought as it was going to be.

     Also riding down a avalanche is not impossible. I looked it up. It was done once by a snowboarder by accident and I also saw people in a Tintin cartoon do it on a canoe(o.k I know that doesn't count.😂) Anyway hope you enjoyed the chapter, comment was you thought!

     Idunn-Frostfall

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 2.5K 46
Being pregnant, scared and alone sounds like the worst case scenario right? Wrong. Worst case scenario is being pregnant, scared, alone AND homeless...
J + J By Miss_Durst

Teen Fiction

770 56 47
COMPLETE Two lovers. Deeply in love with each other. Will they confess their undieing love for each other or not? Jose, Jesse's older brother, soon...
1.8K 139 38
Humanity at its knees. The dead walk again and the screams of those who are caught fill the air. One group still hangs onto life, though. Josh is a m...
31.4K 943 36
This is the future. The people of earth have grown out of their eggshell and reached far into the mysterious world of space. The Space Race was in ha...