[INDEF. HIATUS] Regrets and W...

By jnscrtm

[IN INDEFINITE HIATUS: Read my profile bio for the summarized detail] Standing alone in the middle of nothin... More

Author's Notes (IMPORTANT)
How My Theories Here Deviate From Canon (LN) [SPOILERS ALERT]
Prologue - Chrono Saltation
Chapter 1 - The Long-Lost Tears
Chapter 2 - A New Hope
Chapter 3 - To the Next Milestone
Chapter 4 - The Goblins
Chapter 4.5 - Chaos and Confusion
Chapter 5 - Preparation in the Village
Chapter 6 - Battle Against the Wolves
Chapter 7 - Reconciliation, Naming, and Rules
Chapter 8 - Under the Twilight Sky
Chapter 9 - The Blacksmith
Chapter 10 - Partner for Eternity
Chapter 11 - The Spymaster's Observation
Chapter 12 - Accidents
Chapter 13 - Truth in Royal Court
Chapter 14 - Meeting of Two Kings
Chapter 15 - Towards a New Land
Chapter 16 - Start of Disturbance
Chapter 16.5 - The Adventurers' Journey
Chapter 17 - Meeting the Adventurers
Chapter 18 - The Ogres
Chapter 20 - Ciel: Fragile Heart
Chapter 21 - Secret
Chapter 22 - Story of the Survivors: Decision
Chapter 23 - Acceptance
Chapter 24 - Welcoming Party
Chapter 25 - First Military Gathering
[09/01 2022] Letter of Withdrawal

Chapter 19 - Shizue Izawa: Incandescent Heart

1.9K 117 58
By jnscrtm

PRIOR WARNING: Started from now, if I want to make a character speaking in a clearly different language, I will depict it in two possible ways. If it's only a short phrase, I will write the full translation and tell what language is being used with dialogue tag. If it's a long phrase or full speech, I will write the Romanized spelling of that language in the dialogue, then put the original script and the English translation right after that.

~~~

19章 シズエ・イザワ:白熱した心

(Rimuru's Perspective)

In a room inside the temporary health facility that our town has, Ciel and I are sitting on chairs near a bed.

The night has fully spread its wings. Seen through the window are the gibbous moon and countless twinkling stars littered around it, painting the dark sky with such a beautiful scenery. At least an hour has passed since the nightfall. The remaining ogres have successfully been evacuated.

Basically, the evacuation went like this, according to Ciel's report: after a while the orcs had begun attacking from the northeast direction, she—her split consciousness manifested in my [Multiple Parallel Existence]—led the ogres who were still alive at the time to run into a prepared huge transportation magic circle through [Thought Communication].

In the map, our town—or the Sealed Cave in general is located rather far in the west direction from the ogres' village. The magic circle was intentionally placed in the east of the village in order to confuse the orcs and some clowns among them, in case they were trying to track down the ogres' whereabouts. We don't want them to find our settlement, not in a time like this.

The final result: forty-seven out of three hundred or so managed to survive.

There were several reasons why we decided to wait until the orcs actually attacked them and ended up technically letting more than four-fifths of the ogres slaughtered. As a superior race, experiencing huge loss and humiliating defeat against those far weaker than them would teach a great life lesson to them.

They would understand a glimpse of how hard and painful the life was for the weak who were nothing but a target to be ruthlessly stepped on and devoured—those who were living in constant fear of losing their beloved and their own lives at any time. With loss, they would learn to treasure and appreciate more what they were currently having. And with defeat, they would learn to never look down at the weaker races, no matter how much weaker.

There would be resentment, no doubt. Resentment towards the orcs for having killed their precious comrades and maybe even resentment towards us for not saving them much earlier. But in the end, they had to realize, doing an action out of pure resentment without thinking over what should be actually done wasn't going to bring them anywhere, and could even lead them into their own destruction faster than what the orcs did to them.

In any ways, we're supposed to come to pay the ogres a visit tonight. But we still have some things that are yet to be done. The dinnertime should've been finished by now, so I try to contact whomever goblina is still in the building where the evacuated ogres are sheltered.

"Is anyone there?" I open my [Thought Communication], hoping there is someone who'll answer.

"Yes, my lord?" answers a voice just in time. It's Harumi's voice, as far as I can remember. She is a goblina working in the public kitchen whose usual tasks are to arrange food into bowls and to distribute it to our hobgoblin workers every mealtime.

"Please tell the evacuees that I can't pay them a visit tonight as I still have some businesses to deal with tonight. Instead, I will visit them tomorrow after sunrise. Get it?"

"Understood. Then, I shall convey the words."

"Thank you," I say as I close the communication.

When I turn my face, the woman who's been lying on the bed near us this whole time begins to open her eyes.

"Where am I...?" she weakly murmurs.

"Have woken up yet, Shizu-san?"

"??" With a confused expression, she gradually turns her face at us. "Ah, Rimuru-san, Ciel-san...may I know...what might've happened to me?"

Oh, I am quite surprised that she called us by our names, not 'Slime-san'. Oh, well, perhaps that's because we first showed up to them with our human form.

"You suddenly fell unconscious onto the floor when we were having a talk." It's Ciel—quite surprisingly—who answers Shizu-san's question first. "As a result, you were brought into the town's health facility, and that is where you are now."

"I see." She tries to gets herself up from lying position by using her hands.

"Are you okay, Shizu-san? You don't need to force yourself to get up," I say.

"Just a little bit dizzy, perhaps." She puts her right hand on the side of her head after managing to sit up. "How are those three? Are they okay?"

"They're perfectly fine. I'm sure they are now sleeping soundly in the place that we've provided."

"Is that so? Thank goodness...." Lowering her hand, Shizu-san lets out a long but soft sigh of relief. "I remembered Ifri—wait...how did I even regain my consciousness?"

I look at Ciel, then we nod at each other simultaneously.

"At the time," Ciel says, "we realized that you had started acting weird."

"Furthermore, we sensed the hostile presence of a high-level flame spirit—Ifrit—coming from you," I add. "As a precaution, we forcefully sealed Ifrit's power."

I mean, I kinda sealed Ifrit's power with all that special Anti-Magic Area and [Thought Domination] stuff, so I wasn't really lying.

"Just...who are you two, actually?" She turns her eyes to us, perplexed. "Ah, sorry. I was asking a question that perhaps shouldn't have been asked."

"No, no, it's okay," I reassure. "If that's your question, let us reintroduce ourselves once again."

I let out two coughs. "Ore wa Rimuru Tenpesuto. Mukō de shinde, kono sekai de umarekawatta moto-Nihon-jin. Yoroshiku naa, Shizu-san."

__________

「俺はリムル=テンペスト。向こうで死んで、この世界で生まれ変わった元日本人。よろしくなぁ、シズさん。」

"I'm Rimuru Tempest. A former Japanese who died over there, then got reincarnated here in this world. Nice to meet you, Shizu-san."

__________

"Soshite, watashi wa Shieru to mōshimasu. Rimuru-sama no aibō desu. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu, Shizu." Ciel also reintroduces herself with a smile, in the same polite manner she always uses, be it to me or even to our subordinates.

__________

「そして、私はシエルと申します。リムル様の相棒です。よろしくお願いします、シズ。」

"And I am Ciel. Master Rimuru's partner. It is nice to meet you, Shizu."

__________

"Ah, as I had thought," Shizu-san comments. "That line you said when you introduced yourselves to us felt so familiar; I had been wondering if it was just a coincidence."

"Oh, so you already know that line?" I decide to just play along with it a little bit.

"One of my students once told me about it." She looks profoundly at her open palm, wearing a mixed expression somewhat between happy and sad—a melancholic face. "He often told me about 'video games', from one of which he quoted that line. Those were children's toys that let them experience a full story themselves, he said. If our homeland had recovered enough to give children dreams to play with, it must have become a wonderful place."

"Our homeland...huh?" I unconsciously mutter.

Talking with fellow otherworlder from the same homeland, it makes me recall my memories in my first world: my home, my colleagues, junior, and many more. I honestly still miss them, every then and now.

"Ciel." I give Ciel a signal.

"As you wish, Master."

As soon as Ciel gives her affirmation, a [Thought Communication] link begins to form among three of us. But, instead of being used to simply communicate in words, it's used to show a glimpse of my past memories.

Some of historical and impactful events after World War II that I've known of are perfectly illustrated by Ciel with such a realism, making one feels as if they're watching the events in front of one's own eyes. Started from the situation in Tokyo post-bombing, the growth of Tokyo as it was being rebuilt through years, the economic miracle, the construction of Tokyo Tower, the first service of Hikari Super Express, until the present-day Tokyo that I knew of before I eventually got killed by a random slasher in the street to protect my junior.

"I'm so glad..." Shizu-san mutters in a touched tone, almost in tears. "A place previously surrounded by nothing but fire...now it really has...become an exquisite place...just like the skyscrapers of New York that I once saw on a picture postcard."

"Shizu-san, now we want to ask you."

"Y-yes?" Shizu-san gets a bit surprised by this sudden, drastic change of atmosphere around us.

Having completely separated her own body from Ifrit, Shizu-san has returned into completely human, especially in terms of racial characteristics, making the cells of her body rapidly age to "catch up" with her real age. If we don't finish our businesses with her right now, she might not able to even sit anymore the next day.

"Do you want to stay alive?" Ciel starts our serious talk with a simple, yet deep question.

"Eh?" Shizu-san's eyes widen.

"If we let you be as you are now, Shizu-san, I doubt you would have another week to see the sun rise," I explain her condition somewhat vaguely. "But whether to stay alive with our help or be freed from this 'cursed' world, it's ultimately yours to decide."

"I...." She lowers her head, eyes gazing at her own palm. "I don't know...to be honest."

"I am certain that there are still people who care for you, Shizu-san, just like how you care for them. When you finally went into this journey, you also left them behind, leaving them constantly wondering if they'd ever be able to meet you again. If they suddenly heard of your passing in a foreign land filled with monsters, have you ever thought of what they would feel?"

"..."

"You are a temporary party member, according to the trio," Ciel continues my words. "It means you will keep accompanying them, until eventually the time comes when you have to part ways, going to your own destination. Do you want to give up that destination that you've been longing for?"

"I—"

"Now, let me ask you: what is this destination of yours?" Seeing Shizu-san still being hesitant, I interrupt her words to reinforce our point. "Why is it so important that you were willing to go into this journey, despite already knowing that your lifetime may come to an end at any time?"

"I...dislike this world." After a moment of awkward silence, Shizu-san finally speaks up. "And yet...I can't bring myself to abhor it...just like that man."

She takes a deep breath before continuing her words.

"I wanted to search for him...to search for the man who summoned me." Shizu-san clenches her palm, tears starting to drop from her eyes onto the back of her hand. "I...just wanted him...to acknowledge that I...this human...had existed, perhaps. And...if those kids could be saved...and returned...to their world...."

"Who is the name of this man?" I ask, pretending as if I didn't know.

"Leon...Cromwell," she answers. "One of the strongest Demon Lords."

"Leon...Cromwell, huh." I glance at Ciel. "I think we know that name, don't we?"

"One of Ten Great Demon Lords, the one who bears the title Platinum Devil," Ciel replies in response. "Around six or so decades ago, he seemed to abandon his territory in the Great Forest of Jura and flee to a big island far to the southwest to establish a new territory, which is now called El Dorado."

"Eh?" Shizu-san seems shocked hearing it, more shocked than I expected. Her face changes into an unbelieving expression filled with despair. "Fled? So...this journey...that I've been going through by risking my life...is all but for nothing...this whole time...?"

Ouch, it hits her right in the spot, a way worse than I initially imagined. Even someone as tough-hearted as Shizu-san still has a breaking point.

...

But...I guess that's understandable, because Shizu-san had risked what she felt to be the last days of her life. Had I been her...perhaps I would've also thought the same way...and would've said the same thing, too.

"That's why." I stand up from my seat. "You don't want this journey to be in vain, right? Then stay alive! Stay alive until the time comes for you to meet that man!"

I was so carried away by my wish and desire to save her; I didn't realize that I also...held Shizu-san's hand.

"Master!" calls a voice somewhat between angry and sad, making me snap back to reality.

"Ah?!" I reflexively let go of my hand from Shizu-san's.

I take a glance at Ciel who's still sitting on her seat. Wearing a sullen expression, she looks at me in the eye, clearly disappointed with my act just now.

"I-I'm sorry, Ciel! I-I was just carried away by the situation."

"..."

Goodness me...Ciel becomes so menacing right now. I can feel imaginary sweats all over my body.

Turning around, I instantly take a step and put my both knees on the floor in front of Ciel, my hands wrapping her right hand.

"I'm sorry, Ciel..." I say, lowering my tone. "Would you please forgive me?"

Looking deeply into her gleaming red eyes, I fervently wait for her forgiveness.

"All right...." Ciel lets out a long sigh after we gazed at each other for a good number of seconds. "I forgive Master."

"Thank you," is the only phrase that my mouth can utter out. After recovering from the total fear that I felt earlier, I get back onto my seat.

Hah...I'm safe....

But the second time I do that, it'll definitely be harder to calm her down.

"I'm happy to see you finally make up with each other," Shizu-san suddenly says. "But it does make me wonder...are you perhaps a couple?"

"S-Shizu-san!" As if struck by a thunder, my mind suddenly becomes so messed up. That suddenness and straightforwardness, it hits me right on the spot, electrifying my thinking process to numbness. "W-w-we are not...."

I have to make an answer, but for some reason I just can't. I take a peek at what Ciel is doing. She's also in more-or-less the same condition as I.

Why? Why must this happen at a time like this?!

I do care a lot for Ciel. But are we really a couple?

But looking back...we'd been acting as if we were a real couple, hadn't we?

I haven't thought of anything about it so seriously until now. Now that I have, I do feel some feeling that I used to not have before.

But what is it? I can't understand yet. Do Ciel have the same feeling? I don't know, either.

If she and I understand it someday, will we become a couple? Maybe only time can tell.

...

...

...

"Not yet...."

As soon as I realize what I've just muttered out loud, my face feels burning, even hotter. I cover my face, that I'm sure have become as red as tomato, with my both hands. 

Regain your usual composure, Rimuru! I reprimand myself internally. Let's just pretend this never happened, for now. There are still important things to do.

After my mind calmed down a little bit, I uncover my face and turn my head little by little as my eyes meet Shizu-san's again.

"Seeing you both genuinely care for me as well as for each other," Shizu-san says with a faint smile, "perhaps it isn't so bad to stay alive in this world, after all. I want to stay alive, at least long enough to be able to see those kids grow."

I let out a cough. "So, what are your words?"

"I will gladly accept your offer." The smile on her face hasn't disappeared, but now it also has a firm resolve behind it.

"Alright, it's decided, then." I and Ciel stand up together. "Shizu-san, can you stand up?"

"I will try." Getting out from the blanket that's been covering legs, she puts her feet on the floor, trying to stand up with the support of her hands on the bed.

Perhaps noticing that she's struggling, Ciel offers her hand to help, which Shizu-san gladly takes. Seeing that Ciel is willing to help her despite what's happened earlier, for some reason warms my heart up.

After Shizu-san managed to stand up, I look at Ciel, confirming that we've been ready for our upcoming "ritual", which she responds with a nod and a smile. I activate [Space-Time Domination], and in an instant, we're already transported to a very different place.

"Eh, where are we?" Shizu-san looks around, utterly confused

"I've teleported all of us using my ability." I answer. "We're currently on the top of a cliff overlooking the town. How's it? Wonderful, isn't it?"

"You're right...seen from here, the town does look so beautiful."

I snap my finger, erecting a cylindric barrier with the radius of ten metres, but with a very tall height that I don't really care about.

This barrier has two attributes to make sure that our "ritual" won't go haywire.

The first attribute is isolation, that is to literally isolate the area within the barrier from the outside world, preventing practically anything from traversing the barrier, including heat flows, be it inwards or outwards.

The second attribute is illusion, that is to fool the observers into thinking that what they're seeing is just a plain clifftop.

All of that is done because we're going to deal with fierce flame stuff, we won't want to surprise the citizens who are still awake, or worse the forest-neighbouring countries if the flame is tall and bright enough.

"Are you ready to stay alive, Shizu-san?" I ask for confirmation. "This will be the last time I ask you this question, because I don't want you to regret your choice later on."

"I'm ready," she responds without any remaining hesitation in her tone. "I won't regret this choice, not in the slightest bit."

"Alright, then."

I begin the "ritual" by raising my right hand, palm facing Shizu-san's solar plexus area. A sort-of mystical hand comes out of my palm and begins to pierce her to search for its prey, violently digging up deeper and deeper until the target is discovered.

I take several steps backwards as I pull my real hand after feeling that my mystical hand—or spiritual hand might be a better name—has grabbed something I wanted, until finally a fiery body is successfully taken out completely. I deactivate the [Thought Domination] upon this "poor" spirit in the grasp of my hand: Ifrit.

"So, Ifrit...why did you always cause Shizu-san suffering?" I say with a soft tone and smile. But behind this smile that I'm wearing in my face right now, hidden behind it is a flaming anger.

Ifrit only responds with a silence, his eyes clearly showing hostility. He tries to attack me with his flame magic, but it's obviously useless.

"Wouldn't answer, eh?" I tighten my grip on him, which "happens" to be on his neck. "I ask you once again, Ifrit. Why did you do something like that to Shizu-san?"

Ifrit becomes more and more desperate, his hands on his neck as if trying to release himself from my spiritual hand. As soon as I raise my left hand, five swords made of ice, the much worse enemy of fire compared to just water, are formed in front of me, all pointing towards Ifrit, ready to be fired at any time.

While spirit magic can only be opposed with spirit magic, the spirits themselves can't be opposed with spirit magic. Why? Because spirit magic produces physical output, whilst spirits have natural resistance towards physical attack as they're literally a spiritual lifeform. That's why I instead cast ice elemental magic, rather than freezing the water produced by summoning lower-level water spirits inside this barrier.

Using my [Law Domination], I manipulate my magic's properties in such a way that my swords reproduce a phenomenon where their temperature almost reaches the absolute zero—or nearly two-hundred seventy-three degrees Celsius below zero. The physical aspects of this world are pretty much the same with my first world, so no real substances can ever reach the exact absolute zero temperature.

"You won't run anywhere, Ifrit," I declare with smug tone and smile. "Just answer, will you?"

"I...." Oh, he finally opens his damned mouth. "I-I just...w-want...t-to...r-return...to...L-Leon-sama...."

"You seem to have gravely misunderstood Leon's intention, Ifrit." After glaring at him for a while, I lower my left hand, dispersing all of my magical ice swords into dust. "Reflect upon your misdeeds, as you wait until comes the time when you'll be freed."

From my right hand comes out an ominous black aura, quickly crawling its way through my spiritual hand, until it finally touches and devours Ifrit into nothing. Quietly, I send—or throw—him to a part of our [Imaginary Space] where Veldora is residing. Hopefully, Ifrit will observe what we're doing together with Veldora—unless it's absolutely classified in which case we'll block their observation completely—and will gather wisdom both from observing us and from Veldora himself, just like what they did in the previous timeline.

I look at Shizu-san. She's intensely sweating, somewhat frightened.

"Sorry, Shizu-san. It seems I've made you feel so uncomfortable."

"Ah, n-no.... I-it's fine," she replies nervously. She takes deep breaths a few times before finally calming down.

"Then," I say, "we just need to summon a new spirit for you, who'll truly be your companion and friend. Ciel?"

"Yes, Master." Understanding my signal, Ciel take several steps backwards until she reaches my side. Then, Ciel and I continue to walk backwards until we are four metres away from the centre of barrier.

"Shizu-san," I say, "you, too, please stay away from the centre point of the barrier."

Summoning a small number of low-level spirits, I ignite a tiny flame right in the middle between us and Shizu-san.

Ciel immediately follows by controlling the heat flow and oxygen flow to amplify the flame size until it grows into nearly three metres in radius.

"I, Rimuru Tempest, the Chaos Creator, order ye! O Flames, hear and heed my call!" As I chant the pretend spell, the huge raging flame in front of me begins to shape an extremely intricate pattern like that of a high-level magic circle. "Be of use to us and be the power that would protect our dearest friend!"

The flame begins to gather to a single point.

<<Master,>> calls Ciel through our integrated mind, <<it would seem that a faint ego has formed.>>

"Yeah, I know."

"So be it," I continue my spell, "and your name shall be Youka, the Spirit of Flame!"

After I've finished the spell, a small fraction of my magicule storage gets zapped into the flame. The flame now rages even more violently than before, creating a huge flame pillar as if piercing the sky, shining more and more brightly as each second passes. If it wasn't for the illusionary attribute of my barrier, this might've shocked the citizens or even the world.

...

...

Several seconds later, the blinding light as bright as the sun in the noon gradually dies down, revealing the silhouette of a figure left behind.

When everything becomes clear again, whom we see is a girl floating in the air. Little by little, she descends from her position. She kneels down after landing in front of me and Ciel. "I, Youka, have come to answer your call, O Great Master."

This girl in front of us is a high-level flame spirit just like Ifrit. However, she evolves from a faint ego formed in the gathered mass of flame energy through naming, instead of being naturally born and slowly evolving from that.

"Raise your head, Youka," I say.

She obediently raises her head, eyes directly looking at mine.

Youka has an exquisite beauty, although still not as beautiful as Ciel. She has brown hair and crimson-coloured irises. What she's wearing is long-sleeved white robe with red hakama—a strong reminisce of a shrine maiden's outfit.

"Over there is our friend." I point at Shizu-san with my open hand. Youka turns her head and looks at whom my hand is pointing at.

"Her name is Shizu," I explain. "She'll be your new friend. You must listen to whatever she wants to say, must never do anything without her consent, must help her control her power, and must protect her at all cost. Can you do that for us?"

"If it is what you wish for, my master"—Youka turns her head back—"then I shall do it to the best I can."

"By the way, can you please not call me 'my master'? I would prefer it if you call me with my name instead. Oh, and this"—I point at Ciel—"is Ciel, my partner. You can consider her your secondary master."

"Understood, Rimuru-sama." She changes her attention to Ciel. "It is my pleasure to meet you, Ciel-sama."

Ciel only responds with a nod and a smile.

"Now, stand up and greet your new friend," I order.

Youka stands up, turning around to face Shizu-san, then starts to walk closer.

"Emm...um...h-hello, Youka-san...." Shizu-san is the first one to start the conversation, although very nervously. "I am Shizu. Please take a good care of me from now on."

Shizu-san slightly bows, just like a typical Japanese would do when getting to know a foreigner for the first time.

"I believe there's no need for you to call me with that honorific, Shizu," Youka replies in a calming tone. "We're friends, now. You can just call me 'Youka' or whatever you might like."

Despite being a newly-born ego, I can already see the basic traits of her personality: kind-hearted and caring. Perhaps my unconscious desire also played a role when I gave her a name. I wished for someone who would treat their friend kindly and would protect that friend unconditionally. I'm sure Youka will make a great friend with Shizu-san.

"R-right...Y-Youka...." Shizu-san is playing with her fingers, a slight shade of red seen on her cheek.

"I will reside inside your body from now on." Youka only smiles softly as she stops right in front of Shizu-san. "Please take care of me, too."

"Uh-huh." Shizu-san only nods her head. Closing her eyes and lowering her head, Shizu-san folds her hands in front of her chest, fingers interlocking.

Youka's body transforms into a shining mass of energy, then begins to frantically enter Shizu-san's body. Shizu-san's expression changes. She looks as if she's trying very hard to withstand an extremely strenuous burden exerted upon her.

Just when I am about to lend a hand, Ciel stops me from doing so. "She will be able to hold on her own, Master. Do not worry. Shizu is a very resilient woman."

...

Something amazing happens. Right after Youka had completely entered Shizu-san's body, Shizu-san's body glows for a moment. Her skin that was a bit wrinkled already due to the rapid aging slowly returns into its prime condition.

Shizu-san now has gained an appearance that looks even younger than she used to be.

"How do you feel now, Shizu-san?" I finally ask to check on her condition.

"I feel like...I've returned to my prime condition." She opens her eyes. "When I brought myself together to withstand Youka's enormous energy, I heard the Voice of the World saying that I'd evolved into an 'Enlightened'. And it seemed, I had also acquired a new unique skill...[Incandescent] as it was called."

Eh, evolved already? And also, unique skill? I previously thought we would have to be involved in this, but turned out we didn't at all.

"What just happened, Ciel?" I ask Ciel through our integrated mind.

<<Shizu had freed herself from the bound of 'Human' race and finally reached the realm of 'Enlightened'. It was none other than her unbreakable will that allowed her to evolve despite being awfully near the end of her lifespan as a 'Human'. In addition to her evolution, Shizu also acquired a new unique skill, [Incandescent].>>

Oh, wow. Be it in the previous or current timeline, Shizu-san never ceases to amaze me. I can see now why Ciel told me not to worry about her.

Enlightened is a half-spiritual lifeform and the next stage of humans' evolutionary ladder. They're often seen as humanity's guardians with much greater strength then ordinary humans and deemed literal superhumans, with enough power to rival that of Demon Lord Seeds.

Usually, for a human to evolve into an Enlightened, it often involves engaging in some form of grueling training. If they manage to complete such a trial, they will evolve into a higher existence, greatly extending their lifespan and the amount of energy they can work with.

Looking at how hard the life Shizu-san had been going through and how she always managed to deal with the trouble that came along the way without complaining and grumbling openly, she actually could've become a Saint long before she even met us, had she not merged with Ifrit and not become a half-spirit-half-human Majin—or at least that's what Ciel said to me.

But here, as Shizu-san had abandoned her "majinity", she was finally freed from that limitation as a new door got unlocked.

Next, I ask Ciel to explain the details of Shizu-san's new unique skill. Ciel admits that she wasn't involved at all in the acquisition of this unique skill despite her hobby of manipulating other people's skills, stating it was all purely from Shizu-san's soul strength.

Unique Skill [Incandescent], or also called [Burning One] or [One who Burns], is a unique skill that mirrors the strong passion and firm resolve of the holder's heart. Ability-wise, it can be said to be the unification of Shizu-san's extra skills, especially those related to flame, with some extra additions. It includes the abilities [Thought Acceleration], [Chant Annulment], [Multilayer Barrier], [Heat Wave], [Explosive Flame], and [Flame Domination].

[Thought Acceleration]: Accelerating the user's thought process by a thousand times.

[Chant Annulment]: Annulling the need for chanting spells when using magic.

[Multilayer Barrier]: Upgraded version of Shizu-san's previous extra skill [Ranged Barrier]. While still retaining the opponent-trapping nature of [Ranged Barrier], now it also allows the user to apply multiple barriers with various resistances to protect themselves.

[Heat Wave]: Launching thermal attack in form of radiative heat waves. It is capable of incinerating multiple targets into ashes within a vast area, as long as the energy carried by the wave is intense enough.

[Explosive Flame]: Combining the effect of fire and explosion

[Flame Domination]: Upgraded version of Shizu-san's previous extra skill [Flame Manipulation]. It allows the user to freely manipulate flames and modify their properties solely using the user's will.

The presence of this unique skill automatically eliminates all of her extra skills, except [Replication] and [Magic Perception]. Her list of resistances also grows. Shizu-san now has [Pain Nullification], [Status Ailment Resistance], and [Spiritual Attack Resistance] in her arsenal.

"Your [Incandescent] is, more or less, the unification of your flame-related extra skills," Ciel explains to Shizu-san. "But of course, their performance increases significantly compared to your previous extra skills. Some even evolved into their higher version."

"So, make a great use of the ability granted upon you," I finish Ciel-san's words.

"Umm...Rimuru-san...Ciel-san...may I ask one more request?"

"What is it?" I tilt my head.

"It might sound selfish of me, but would you mind to allow me to stay in your town?"

"Of course, we would allow you," I reply. "Right, Ciel?"

"Yes, we have been intending to make you stay here anyway. I am sure you have your own personal reasons, but we are not going to ask about those for now."

"Thank you very much...Rimuru-san...Ciel-san." She deeply bows at us, eyes wet with tears. "You two have been very kind to me. I will work hard from now on...so I won't waste this life that you've saved...so I can repay your kindness even just a little."

...

After a while....

"Now, I think it's time to return." I snap my fingers again, now dispelling the barrier. Using [Space-Time Domination], I instantly teleport all of us back to the health facility.

"I had told the one who manages this place to allow you sleeping here after we had 'cured' you completely, so don't worry about sleeping here tonight," I say to Shizu-san as I walk to the room's exit door and opens the door "Then, we will lea—"

"Wait, Master," Ciel suddenly interrupts me, which is surprising. "Could Master leave first without me? I...I want to talk with Shizu for a moment longer."

"Eh?"

She just wants to talk with Shizu-san? But why it has to be without me? What is it that's going to be talked about?

...

Ah, no use to keep thinking about it, because she isn't going to answer anyway if I ask her. If she really wants a personal space and privacy for her own, then so be it.

I let out a sigh. "Alright. Then, I will leave you two here, so please excuse me."

Stepping out of the door, I quickly close it then begins to walk out of the health facility.

(3rd Person's Perspective)

"So, what do you want to talk about?" Shizu asks after Rimuru's footsteps are unable to be heard anymore.

Out of sudden, Ciel moves her arms to the back of Shizu's body and hugged Shizu, burying her face on Shizu's shoulder.

"Eh, Ciel-san?" Shizu is utterly confused by this sudden turn of events.

"Thank you."

"Thank you?" Shizu becomes more confused, but she lets Ciel do whatever she wants and just hugs her in return. 

Because Shizu is her master's "destined one", Ciel fears that someday, her master might start giving more and more of his special attention to Shizu that he doesn't care about her anymore. Ciel knows that such a thought is stupid, and yet she can't erase it from her mind. If it does become that way, well, she can't really complain. Shizu was her master's destined one to begin with.

But...despite all of that...Ciel realizes that there are still many things to be grateful for.

This woman, this very woman who's able to ignite such a fear inside her little heart, in the end is the reason of her existence right now. It might be Shizu from a different timeline, but no matter what timeline, Shizue Izawa is still Shizue Izawa. If Shizu never met her master, Ciel, too, wouldn't have existed.

"...." Ciel wants to say what she's grateful for, but she can't bring herself to do so because of a sense of pride that came out of nowhere.

"I don't understand what you thank me for"—Shizu gently strokes Ciel's hair—"but you're welcome." 

Shizu...Shizue Izawa....

Thank you for having met Master....

Thank you for all meaningful things you have done for him...

...

But the most important of all...thank you for being the one whom Master is destined with....

Thank you for having entrusted your dreams and hopes to him....

Thank you for being a reason of my existence....

...

Because without you...without you meeting him in the start of his journey...Master would never have achieved what he has achieved now....

...

That's right....

I would never have become 'Ciel'....

I would never have met Master....

I would never have gone into this new journey with him....

So, once again...thank you, Shizue Izawa....

Thank you for everything....

~TO BE CONTINUED~

As always, don't forget to give this story a vote. I will be more than happy seeing someone, who hasn't voted yet, "spamming" votes for all chapters in a row, one vote for each in quick succession. xD

You can also leave a comment to give this fanfic an "alive" feel.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.6K 1.8K 24
Feldway finally had enough. He brought out his true body, crafted by Veldanava's hands, while Rimuru was distracted, fighting an enraged Milim under...
669 23 7
Hey wait! before you ignore this! It is a good story, with better writing then what I have mostly seen on this site! I know it is not everyone's cup...
13.2K 162 23
Tensura x (OP Female and Male OC) Tensei shitara slime datta ken Fanfiction Description: (Changed) This is the story of an Unknown individual with ma...
16.9K 741 11
Rimuru was feeling bored, so he decided to go back in time and start anew. This time, he opted for a new game-plus style, retaining all his abilities...