Invader Zim ZADR: How did we...

By ArkaticTheLost

Things have changed after all these years. But are they willing to accept these changes, or will they keep de... More

Chapter 1: Give me a minute
Chapter 2: Are you done yet?
Chapter 3: It's just a sleepover
Chapter 5: Do we have a deal?
Chapter 6: This is new
Chapter 7: Just hiding in the bushes
Chapter 8: What's a birthday without Zim: Part 1
Chapter 9: What's a birthday without Zim: Part 2
Chapter 10: Just two boys at prom: Part 1
Chapter 11: Just two boys at prom: Part 2
Chapter 12: Just two boys at prom: Part 3
Chapter 13: What should I do?
Chapter 14: Zim has NOT gone squishy!
Chapter 15: There were consequences
Chapter 16: Climatic showdown
Chapter 17: Familiar ringing at the door
Chapter 18: What do we need to do?
Chapter 19: Warehouse invasion
Chapter 20: A little breather
Chapter 21: Stylish infiltration
Chapter 22: No power outage here
Chapter 23: Not very subtle escape
Chapter 24: A quick celebration
Chapter 25: Next day meetup

Chapter 4: Wanna get a drink?

144 3 1
By ArkaticTheLost

Well...it is shorter. I might have too much free time on my hands...Enjoy!

"uhh..."

For once Dib wasn't wakened from his slumber by the screeching alarm from his phone. Instead, he felt his eyes twitch as rays of sunlight were shining through his window and onto his face. Like needles, they stabbed into his eyeballs as he slowly regained his sight. With great effort on his part, Dib managed to lift one of his arms in front of his face and blocked the sun. He kept laying still, still half asleep until he finally started getting over his unconsciousness.

'Ugh, of course, it would be sunny in the middle of November'. He thought to himself, as slowly lifted himself from the bed. Now sitting up, he had a tired and weary expression, his eyes still trying to regain focus. He started rubbing them, hoping it would speed up the process. When his rubbing started paying off, he let his eyes wander around the room, to then stop at his end table by the side of the bed. He then narrowed his sore eyes on the clock standing on it, the arrows slowly moving. It took him a moment but he was finally able to make out what time it was. It was twelve minutes over nine.

He felt his stomach twist before he let out an involuntary yelp. With no consideration for his impaired physical state, he tried jumping out of the bed. But he misjudged where the edge was and ended up falling down on the floor. He had expected more of a bang, but his fall was strangely quiet. It didn't even hurt that much. He didn't think more about it, as he prepared to dash towards his closet, which would inevitably lead to him gaining more injuries. But right as he had lifted himself off the cushy floor, he suddenly had the feeling that there should be something he should have remembered by now.

"...Oh wait...it's Saturday!"

While letting out an exhausted sigh, he let himself fall back on the floor. It was still soft. He wondered why that was, and turned to see what he was laying on. Underneath him, there was a mattress, sheets, and a single pillow that looked like it had been beaten to a pulp. He looked at it puzzled, wondering why all that stuff was laying there. It even looked like someone had tried to make a bed. He wanted to meet that person, for they had done an extremely bad job at it. He looked further around the room, hoping he could try and find clues to what had happened last night. It was then his eyes caught something. It was a pile of what seemed like clothing in one of the corners. Slowly, he got up from the floor, and with uneasy steps, started walking over to the corner.

When he reached it, he crouched and leaned down. He picked up the first thing he touched. When he held it up in front of his face, he quickly realized that it was his shirt. Well, at least one of his old ones. What was it doing here?

Then his mind was flooded by pictures, he really had hoped he would have forgotten forever. Unfortunately, he hadn't. He then dropped the shirt as if it was contaminated by deadly radiation, and started shivering all over. Then he came to a realization.

"Wait...oh god I forget. HOW COULD I FORGET?!!"

A shocked expression took over his face, and he started taking small steps backward. He only stopped once he reached his bed, whereupon he sat down, trying to rebuild his composure. When he felt like he was ready, he started carefully going over the events from the day before. He started remembering all the events that had led to the latest disaster in his life. A sleepover with Zim. He was wondering if it all could have been a dream, but unless he was still dreaming, it didn't seem very likely. He still wasn't ready to abandon that slight sliver of hope and started slapping himself. He had closed his eyes, and when his cheeks started to hurt, he opened them. He had hoped to find himself lying in bed again, but to his dismay, he was still sitting on the bed. And below him, the shoddy bed he had made to Zim.

The entire situation seemed so ridiculous in hindsight, that he wondered how he had managed to keep himself from laughing through the entire ordeal. He wondered how he could have let it all happen without more protesting when he then remembered how tired he had been at the end of that day. All thanks to Zim. He played with the idea that it had been Zim's plan all along to make Dib tired, so he wouldn't have been in his right mind. It would have been easy to put down the idea, but Zim was the right mix of genius and insanity, that it was impossible to say what he had and hadn't planned for in any given situation.

He felt a sting of pain go through his head and took a hand up to the side of his skull. He had just woken up, and somehow Zim had already managed to give him a headache. He was about to take away his hand when he felt it brush against something sturdy and familiar.

'My glasses. I must have forgotten to take them when I went to sleep.' He thought to himself.

He was then surprised when he couldn't remember going to sleep. And then started panicking, when he remembered how he wasn't meant to fall asleep at all. He started going through the last memories he could recollect from the night before, trying to find the moment he went to sleep. But he couldn't find any. He looked harder and started remembering how he was telling Zim about how he was going to ask him questions all night, and then nothing. Everything after that was completely dark. Then he realized that was the last thing he remembered, before waking up. He kept wondering what had happened when it hit him like a truck.

'I...Did I pass out? I passed out, in front of Zim. I was unconscious for hours while being in the same room as Zim.' He thought to himself, dread spreading across his face.

Contrary to what he would have expected his reaction to be, he closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, and slowly let it out again, falling into a state of calmness. This was only because he accepted the fact that he was probably dead. After a few moments of this, he opened his eyes again, assessing his location. He was still in his room. He let out a disgruntled sigh, annoyed at the idea that this was all that there was to the afterlife. It was then he started opening up to the idea he wasn't actually dead. He checked his body for new wounds or something that could prove that Zim had tempered with his body, while he was sleeping. Nothing. He was so surprised by the revelation, that he was a bit disappointed.

Dib had spent all those sleepless nights, scared that Zim would come in from his window and kill him in his sleep, and now that he had the perfect chance, he hadn't done anything. Dib was frustrated by the fact, as he could have used those hours of sleep in his daily life. It was then he started wondering where that little green alien was. He wasn't in the room anymore and he couldn't hear screaming from anywhere else in the house. Dib was at least relieved that Zim wasn't in his home anymore. Still, the question lingered. Where was he?

He didn't remember where Zim had thrown his alien clothes, but he couldn't find them. And considering his old clothes were on the floor, Zim had probably changed back into his uniform. So there was the chance that he had just left. Dib finally stood up from the bed and made his way towards his door. He opened it up, the creaking sound echoing through the hallway. He listened, and couldn't hear a single thing moving in the house. That made sense, as his dad was most likely already at work, and Gaz was going to keep sleeping until 3 AM like she did every weekend. He made his way down the stairs, and into the kitchen, hoping a little breakfast could give him some energy. As Dib was preparing a piece of toast, he noticed a piece of white paper on the counter. He picked it up and saw that it was a printed-out note. He then started reading it, squinting at the words, as his eyes still weren't fully awakened.

'Dear Son

I just wanted you to know that your little foreign friend left early in the morning.

He said that I should tell you that you shouldn't meet him tonight if you know what is good for you. Whatever that means.

Remember to eat breakfast!'

Dib kept looking at the note suspiciously like he didn't believe the fact that it was made of paper. He then looked up from the note, trying to figure out what Zim had meant. Then he remembered that this whole mess started because he managed to convince him to move one of his evil plans to another day. Dib tilted his head back, making a loud *ugh* sound, thinking how it all would have been easier, if he had just dealt with Zim that night, instead of postponing it. But it was too late anyway. He threw the note in the trash bin and started making a cup of coffee. He was going to need the energy for later.

"Where is he!" Zim loudly asked no one in spectacular. He was standing in the powerplant once again, his machine planted in the ground, and sucking up all the energy it could harvest from this backwater energy plant. Normally he would be worried that he was being watched or that at any moment security could jump out of the bushes or wherever humans like to hide. But all that time he had spent on this miserable dirtball, has masterfully taught him all he needs to know about human stupidity. As an example, they don't provide as much security in vital areas as they should. A simple gas introduced to the air vents was enough to send all the stupid humans to sleep. Not that he cared about them stopping him. He knew how incompetent they were. No, he knew of the only true threat to his plans. Dib.

"It has been hours and he still hasn't shown up!" He kept screeching, still to no one but himself. He walked a few circles around his genius machine, waiting for The Dib to jump out from somewhere. But he didn't, and once Zim had become tired of walking, he noticed that there were only minutes left before his machine was ready, and he could move on to the second phase of his plan. Yet it didn't quite excite him as much as it should have.

He let out a frustrated sigh and sat down on the grass. He used his knees to support his arms, as he rested his head on his open palm. He sat and stared at the machine, wondering why he didn't feel any happiness in his squeedily spooch like he usually did, when watching his plans go as he had planned. Wait, that was the problem. It wasn't going as planned. He had planned on the Dib-thing coming and trying to stop him.

'Yes, that's the problem!' He thought to himself. 'Of course, that giant-headed worm is the reason for Zim's missing joy. He always ruins everything I try to do! But I don't understand, I left clear instructions for his Dad-unit to follow, so why isn't he coming?! He always stands and shouts about saving his worthless planet, and yet he doesn't come, even when I challenge him not to? No, that filthy weasel is planning something, I know it! Oh...When I get my hands on that little-' His thoughts were interrupted, as the lights around the plant suddenly were turned back on, partially blinding Zim. He blocked his eyes with his hands, letting out a hiss like a vampire being hit by the sun. Once he felt his sight adjust to all the newfound brightness, he first sensed a figure standing a few meters from him. He couldn't tell by the shape who it was, but as soon as he heard the figure's voice, he instantly recognized it.

"Well, hello Zim. I can see you have been...-" Dib's voice was caught off, once he realized that the dangerous alien invader was sitting on the grass, looking at him like a deer caught in headlights. Which technically wasn't so far from the truth.

"-expecting me..." No matter how much he tried to hide it, he couldn't mask the slight disappointment in his voice.

"YES!" Zim quickly screamed before The Dib had any chance to continue his monologue. He clumsily got up from the ground, but his unsteady feet left him swaying back and forth. Zim let out several sounds of distress, swinging his arms around to try and regain solid ground. Dib looked on with a slightly embarrassed expression, not sure whether he should laugh mockingly, or look away so Zim could at least get a chance to stand up. Once Zim was standing steady again, he continued talking.

"I have been expecting you all night, so I'm happy to see that your puny brain came up with the sensible idea of revealing yourself to me."

"Really? Because for me, it just looked like you were sitting on the ground, thinking about...whatever horrible things you think about." Dib casually countered, nodding towards the patch of grass that Zim had been sitting on. The alien took a quick glance at the spot, before looking back at the human, desperately trying to come up with a riposte. He wasn't going to be made a fool by this stinking primate.

"WHAT, n-no I wasn't! I was just...tricking you, YES! I was just tricking your tiny human mind, by making you think that I wasn't expecting you when I WAS expecting you! And you fell right for it! HAH!" Once he was done he started nodding with a satisfied smile on his face, congratulating himself internally. 'Good job me! I've surely thrown Dib for a loop now!'

Dib just stared at him with a rather uninterested look, before feeling the need to say something, for the conversation to continue.

"...Okay."

"AND NOW-" Zim started yelling, feeling that everything was in its proper place now, and he could continue as normal. He could squeeze out from Dib the reason he was late, once he had finished his plan.

"-YOU SHALL WITNESS THE GENIUS THAT IS I, ZIM!!!"

Dib couldn't help but smile to himself, as he took on a heroic pose, feeling a weird sense of comfortableness wash over him.

"Let's wait and see if you can live up to your own words, Space-boy!"

Zim let out an anticipating grin, as his PAK legs came out, and he raised himself from the ground. Everything about this planet felt wrong. Some in big ways, others small. But out of all the things this useless planet had to offer, that moment, that felt right. Felt like where he was meant to be. And right where the Dib-stink belonged. No matter how many times that human-worm had ruined his plans, or tormented him without end, he could always rely on him to be a worthy adversary.

"Oh, I will, Dib-stink. You will find out soon enough." He chuckled wickedly, as Dib took a step towards him.

"Does that mean you actually have a plan this time?" Dib mockingly asked, clearly trying to provoke the alien.

"I'VE ALWAYS HAD A PLAN...But yes, I have now finally remembered my genius plan, and-"

"I thought you had just decided to not remember that night?"

Zim looked at Dib's smug expression with an annoyed and tired look.

"...Shut up. AND NOW I AM READY TO CARRY IT THROUGH, AND YOUR POLLUTION-RIDDEN CITY SHALL BE THE PERFECT FIRST TEST!!!" Zim continued as energetic as ever, and then started laughing maniacally, and Dib looked on in curiosity. It had taken an unusually long time for the alien to spill his plan. He didn't want to admit it, but he was starting to get invested. Probably bad to be invested in a plan that involves the destruction of humanity.

"And what makes you think I'm just going to stand by and let it happen?!" Dib challenged Zim, now also wearing that same anticipating grin. While Zim had made some parts of his life a living hell, he had given him something he needed more than anything. Motivation. He was the living embodiment of everything he had ever believed, and he got to be reminded of that every day. If it hadn't involved endangering every person on this planet, he would have found it to be a good deal. Maybe it was. After all, he would always stop Zim. Like he always had.

"Oh don't you worry about that, filthy Dib. I know that there's no problem you wouldn't try and stick your giant head into, so I have a plan prepared just for that."

"Oh yeah, what plan is that? Alien."

Zim's grin disappeared and was replaced with a satisfied smirk.

"Oh don't worry Dib, it's just simple enough for your inferior brain to comprehend." Zim's robot legs then started bending, preparing to lunge forward towards Diob, who in turn prepared to dodge out of the way.

"I'm going to destroy you." Zim proudly said, before his PAK legs sent him sprinting towards Dib. He managed to jump out of the way before Zim reached him. When he landed on the ground, he quickly rolled back on his feet and turned to face Zim.

"We'll see about that, Space-boy!"

After a fairly typical battle between the two, they were now standing on the top of a cliff, looking down on the powerplant. They both had several bruises and small cuts on their body. And burn marks. Quite a few burn marks. Zim had a look of surprise on his face, while Dib was fuming. Both metaphorically, and literally, as there were still a few flames left on his trench coat. They just stood in silence together, as they looked at how fire trucks were pulling up to the powerplant, their sirens still audibly from the distance they were standing. Oh, and also, the plant was on fire. And the alien machine that had stood towering in the middle, had been burned to a crumbling pile of ash. Conveniently leaving no evidence of any alien involvement.

"I didn't expect that to happen." Zim simply stated, as if genuinely fascinated about the events that had just unfolded. Dib wasn't as calm, as he sharply turned to face Zim, the sirens still blaring in the background.

"OH DIDN'T YOU NOW?!!" Dib sarcastically questioned Zim, waving his arms angrily in the air. Zim looked at him insulted, gasping at the sudden outburst.

"WHAT'S THE MEANING OF THIS ACCUSATION?!! Zim is clearly not at fault here." He replied defensively, saying the last sentence while looking judgingly away from Dib. If he was trying to hide his suggestion that this was all Dib's fault, he was doing a very bad job at it.

"OH, it's my fault now, is it?!" He said, calling out Zim, who just scoffed at him, which did not help improve Dib's mood. He was about to continue calling him out when he felt the sudden urge to get something off his chest.

"Tell me, Zim, was that you're 'genius' plan?"

Dib squinted at Zim, who just looked at him puzzled as if he truly didn't have any idea of what he was talking about. He kept squinting until his eyes started twitching from the frustration.

"TO TURN ELECTRICITY INTO FIRE?!!" Dib finally screamed at Zim, who kept staring at him with a blank expression.

"Well yes, it's very simple actually, I would use it to-"

"WHY DID YOU THINK THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?!!" Dib kept screaming, now less in fury, and more in desperation, shaking his hands at Zim. He just truly wished to understand what idiotic thought process had led Zim's head to come up with the idea.

"I was just explaining it to you, you impatient filth-eating pig!" Zim shot back, making Dib contain his anger for now. Once a moment of quiet had passed and Zim was sure that the human had shut up, he continued.

"I was going to use it, to not only destroy all of your electricity but at the same time burn down your entire primitive civilization to ash! And then you would be forced to kneel under the superior might that is Irken technology!" He explained, with a prideful ring in his voice. He crossed his arm and a victorious smile appeared on his face. He then stood in silence, waiting for The Dib to praise his genius planning power. But instead, he looked at him like he had forgotten his son at soccer.

"But doesn't you're technology also run on electricity?"

"Uhm...-" The smile had vanished from Zim's face and was replaced by a slightly concerned expression. "Yeeeeessssss." He hesitantly replied, squinting his eyes.

"And don't you currently get your electricity from us?"

Zim stood in silence, his eyes slowly widening from the realization he could have burned down his entire secret base, his ship, and nearly all of his Irken technology.

"And wouldn't it also have burned down your machine? Oh wait, it did. And besides all that...WHY DID YOU TURN IT ON IN A POWERPLANT?!!"

"THERE WASN'T MEANT TO BE ANY ELECTRICITY YOU STINK-BRAIN!!! THE MACHINE WOULD HAVE SUCKE DIT ALL UP!!! IT WAS YOU WHO TURNED ON THE THE LIGHT'S, WHICH LED TO THE FIRE, DIB-WORM!!!" Zim had also started screaming now, pointing a claw accusingly at Dib who fumbled over his words, as he had to acknowledge that Zim was right in this instance. But he wasn't about to admit it.

"Well...well...THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THAT YOUR PLAN WAS STUPID!!!"

"*Dramatic gasp*...YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU FILTHY EARTHWORM!!!" He yelled, a shocked and hurt expression covering his face, his claw nearly touching Dib's face. When he didn't seem to back down Zim took a step forward, pushing his forehead against Dib's, who had been so angry he had bent down, just so he could stare directly in the alien's eyes with all of his anger. Zim was now growling, and Dib was clenching his teeth together, waiting to see who would be the first to attack.

But then a thought struck Dib. He didn't want to fight. They had already fought and were both covered in small wounds, and they had nearly been set on fire. Though it was still Zim's fault. But he didn't want to continue this. For once, he didn't want to fight Zim. He couldn't tell what it was, he just didn't despise Zim as much at this moment, like he usually did. For all he knew, maybe Zim didn't want to fight either. It wasn't him who had started this argument. Zim had been relatively calm, and then Dib went and ruined it. And now he was sorry about it. He didn't want them to continue screaming at each other. He just wanted...He just wanted...

"Hey, Zim?" Dib's hate-filled expression had slowly disappeared and was replaced by a tired expression. The fury that had filled his words before, was also gone.

"Ehh..." Zim was confused at first, his eyelids twitching up and down as if trying to determine what he was seeing was real. In the end, he decided that this was one of Dib's tricks, and he was ready to attack him, as soon as another insult had left the insolent human's mouth.

"What is it, human-scum?!"

They were still standing forehead to forehead, as Dib let out a regret-filled sigh, and finally replied.

"Want to get something to drink?"

That last line leads to something way less romantic than what you might be thinking. Just warning you. Also, I most likely won't get another chapter out until after this weekend, so don't expect anything until then. And if you're reading this from the future, and the next chapter is already out...then I'm happy for you. Hope to see you next time! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17 0 5
A story following Dib and Zim as they navigate highskool and life. Will they stay enemies, or could they become friends, will they take a chance?
31.6K 845 18
(After Enter The Florpus) Zim no longer has any reason to take over Earth. The tallest won't answer his calls, and he knows that they are not coming...
6.3K 123 23
Hii! this is my first story so if it's a lil bad or short that's why, if you do read this I hope you like it! You are a new girl who just moved into...
7.1K 288 12
Dib x Zim fic | After Zim and Dib have triplet sons, Zim debates on moving to a paranormal friendly neighborhood in New York. Ever since he told the...