Garden of Embers: Beneath Dev...

By ostromn

Lightholder mages live by many rules. Among these: second-born twins must die for the good of all. In this se... More

Chapter 1, Part A
Chapter 1, Part B
Chapter 1, Part C
Chapter 1, Final Part
Chapter 2, Part A
Chapter 2, Part B
Chapter 2, Part C
Chapter 2, Final Part
Chapter 3, Part A
Chapter 3, Part B
Chapter 3, Part C
Chapter 3, Final Part
Chapter 4, Part A
Chapter 4, Part B
Chapter 4, Part C
Chapter 4, Final Part
Chapter 5, Part A
Chapter 5, Part B
Chapter 5, Part C
Chapter 5, Final Part
Chapter 6, Part A
Chapter 6, Part B
Chapter 6, Part C
Chapter 6, Final Part
Chapter 7, Part A
Chapter 7, Part B
Chapter 7, Part C
Chapter 7, Final Part
Chapter 8, Part A
Chapter 8, Part B
Chapter 8, Part C
Chapter 8, Final Part
Chapter 9, Part A
Chapter 9, Part B
Chapter 9, Part C
Chapter 10, Part A
Chapter 10, Part B
Chapter 10, Part C
Chapter 10, Final Part
Chapter 11, Part A
Chapter 11, Part B
Chapter 11, Part C
Chapter 11, Final Part
Chapter 12, Part A
Chapter 12, Part B
Chapter 12, Part C
Chapter 12, Final Part
Chapter 13, Part A
Chapter 13, Part B
Chapter 13, Part C
Chapter 13, Final Part
Chapter 14, Part A
Chapter 14, Part B
Chapter 14, Part C
Chapter 14, Final Part
Chapter 15, Part A
Chapter 15, Part B
Chapter 15, Part C
Chapter 15, Final Part
Chapter 16, Part A
Chapter 16, Part B
Chapter 16, Part C
Chapter 16, Final Part
Chapter 17, Part A
Chapter 17, Part B
Chapter 17, Part C
Chapter 17, Final Part
Chapter 18, Part A
Chapter 18, Part B
Chapter 18, Part C
Chapter 18, Final Part
Chapter 19, Part A
Chapter 19, Part B
Chapter 19, Part C
Chapter 19, Final Part
Epilogue
Glossary of Nova Latina Terms

Chapter 9, Final Part

106 16 96
By ostromn

The young Princeps was still fast asleep when Festra entered his royal bedchamber to refresh the coals in the brazier and open the black velvet curtains to let the crimson pre-Brightening sunlight into the room.

She was fortunate. The young royal's usual attendant, Radix, had been banished from his presence for some reason. Tacita said for impertinence but Ubertas said the redhead had been reassigned as Aedilis Aix's assistant.

Whatever the reason, Festra had reaped the benefit. Her rank had already risen five points in the Compendium. Two more, and she could recommend her son for a position in the palace gardens. At ten, it was high time the boy start earning his keep. Everything cost more here in Vola Apertus, especially with the recent disasters driving up food prices.

Sighing, she stroked one of the promenia lanterns on the wall, her touch coaxing the mysterious magic within to greater brilliance. Erus Fons said that light was important in the morn, as it would help gently wake the Princeps and remind him of the light of the Trellis. As he woke, so too would the world, Brightening arriving with the boy's return from royal sleep.

Curtains tied back, she placed her basket of coals by the brazier and tilted her head as something caught her eye. Curls of half-charred paper rested amid the cold ashes. Next to the brazier, she spotted a torn sheet of stationary, filled with an elegant script.

She should not have read the words, but she could not help herself. "Your doe eyes haunt me," she whispered, a thrill of delight working its way up her spine. A royal romance? "I can wait for you no longer, Edera."

The word "doe" had been written above another word, "beautiful", that had been crossed out. A draft of a love letter? A prepared speech? She knew not, except that one thing was clear: The Princeps was smitten with someone.

But who was this Edera?

<>

Navus paused on the threshold to the royal tablinum as a voice rose within. Erus Comitas.

"Princeps Buccina, I did not know that you were coming, or I would have made arrangements to welcome you."

The elderly man frowned. He was supposed to set up a spread of snacks for the Princeps to enjoy after the young royal's morning lessons, not more formal fare to entertain a royal guest. Erus Fons had not mentioned there would be a visit from one of the other Principia today.

"Forgive me for the lack of warning, Erus," Princeps Buccina's gentle modulated voice said. "I came as soon as my schedule cleared after I heard the news. Please tell me it is not as bad as it sounds."

Navus shifted uneasily from foot to foot. He should not remain here, lest he be accused of eavesdropping. And he needed to fetch more suitable fare for a royal diplomatic visit. But he could not help the curiosity washing through him.

What was the bad news?

"I... It is worse, Basilicus," Erus Comitas murmured. Her voice dropped. Navus could barely make out her words. "I assume that you have heard about the girl?"

"Indeed."

"The Praetoris Heres has already arrived."

"Already?" the Princeps repeated, displeasure in the normally soothing tone Navus heard in the observances and state speeches.

"Yes, Basilicus. The Electi tried to stop the girl at the gates due to the Rite of Solitude, but--"

"No excuses, Erus." Princeps Buccina's rising voice dropped to a tense murmur. "How did these two plot something like this without any of you the wiser?"

Oh yes, Navus should really be on his way. This was not intended for his ears.

He leaned toward the door to hear better, wondering who the unidentified "she" was. He'd heard a rumor from the maids about a royal love letter. Was the "girl" in question this mysterious "Edera"?

"We forget all too often that the Princeps is still so young," Erus Comitas said with an exasperated sigh.

Navus sympathized with the woman. He knew well how difficult adolescents could be without one being a royal. He had raised seven himself, after all, and now cared for two grandchildren the same age as the Princeps.

"And with his royal mother deceased," Erus Comitas continued, "his father missing, and his foster parents reassigned to Provincia Sicarii, he is without adequate adult supervision. It did not occur to us that he might have contacted a conjugal match, let alone meet with her via the Caeles."

"What a mess," Princeps Buccina said lowly. She sighed. "Does he not have an aedificans to oversee him?"

"His royal mother was his aedificans, Basilicus."

The Princeps Mindholder's voice sharpened to command. "He needs a true aedificans, Erus. The Rex, other Principia, and I do not train our own children lest they become coddled. Even our heirs. Princeps Daedalus must have an aedificans to serve as guardian, at least until he is of age. He is well taught, but he has not yet finished his training. The Rex or I will assign someone suitable to him, as his father is not here to make a selection."

"Thank you, Basilicus." The tension in Erus Comitas's voice did not sound like gratitude. "I would be happy to send you a list of recommended worldholders."

"That would be appreciated, Erus. The Rex and I will take them under advisement. Now, where is the young Princeps?"

"Actually, the Princeps should be concluding his lesson with one of the people I recommend, Basilicus."

"Wonderful."

A footstep down the hall made Navus start. He turned, face warming, as he realized that he had been leaning one ear toward the door.

It was too late now to return to the kitchen to fetch a more appropriate fare. Princeps Daedalus was sauntering down the hall, the youthful energy shifting to a slower, more dignified stride as the amber-eyed man at the royal's side cast the boy a frown.

"What are you waiting for, Erus?" Princeps Daedalus asked Navus with a friendly smile. "You may go inside."

Navus bowed his head and pressed a hand where a laurel would be if he had been blessed by the Divine Light. "There are people within, Basilicus."

"Oh?" The boy started to stride past him. "I wonder who?" Behind him, Aedilis Valens frowned, eyes narrowing.

Navus barely managed to scurry to the door in time to pull it open before the young royal reached it. "Basilicus Daedalus Adurere," the old man lifted his voice to announce the arrivals to the people within. "And Aedilis Valens Ornnithias."

Inside, the Princeps Mindholder's green gaze rose, meeting Aedilis Valens's widening eyes. She nodded politely to Princeps Daedalus without tearing her attention away from the older worldholder following behind him. "Princeps Daedalus and Aedilis Valens, how good it is to see you again. I trust that you are well?"

Princeps Daedalus glanced at the older worldholder, catching his lip between his teeth as Aedilis Valens stared in shock. The boy cleared his throat.

If looks could have killed, Valens Ornnithias would be guilty of high treason for murdering a Princeps as he fixed the young royal with a narrow-eyed look. After a moment of the boy squirming, the man shifted his gaze to Princeps Buccina and said stiffly, "Yes, Basilicus."

The older worldholder and Erus Comitas exchanged a tense look of mutual understanding.

Princeps Buccina smiled and folded her hands before her pale gold and white Paenula. "Excellent. Aedilis and Erus, you are both dismissed."

Navus tilted his head curiously, trying not to look, as Princeps Daedalus gave the man and woman a small smile and avoided their eyes as he tipped his dark head toward the door. The pair departed, but not without glances at the young royal that suggested there would be further conversation later whether the boy wished it or not.

Navus stood aside as they swept past, then wheeled the cart to the table as Princeps Daedalus sat down and extended a hand to one of the other dining couches. "Princeps Buccina. Please make yourself comfortable."

Navus put out the prosciutto-stuffed dates as the older Princeps sat gracefully.

Princeps Daedalus plucked one from the platter, a smile that didn't reach his eyes tilting his lips. "Is there something that I can help you with, Basilicus?"

"Indeed, Basilicus." The blond royal folded her hands in her lap. "I wish to discuss a concern that I have." Her green eyes met defiant brown, and Navus suspected the boy knew exactly what the visit was about. "Regarding you violating the sacred restrictions of your Rite of Solitude to court a certain young lady you've never even met."

Princeps Daedalus shook his head, date between two fingers. "I did not violate my sacred Solitude, Basilicus." A sly smile quirked at his lips. "One need not leave the palace to meet with another, nor go to an odeon for the nuptials." He shrugged as the older royal frowned. "I am a Princeps. I have the sacred authority to join my worldholder subjects together in holy matrimony within the Compendium itself. And as I am a worldholder, I see no reason I cannot take such a liberty with my own Compendium records."

Princeps Buccina drew a deep breath, striving to calm herself. Navus didn't blame her; children were hard enough to deal with at this age without one of them possessing vast royal authority to do whatever they wanted.

"Basilicus," she said at last. "You may possess the legal authority, but this is ill-advised and simply not done in this manner." She leaned forward, ignoring Navus as the old man set the platter of candied nuts atop the table. "You are young and foolish. For your own sake, and the dignity of the throne from which you rule, I must forbid you to wed this girl so soon or casually."

Princeps Daedalus arched a brow, unmoved. "It is too late to forbid it, Princeps. Edera and I are madly in love and could wait no longer to be together." He beamed, holding one hand over his heart, and his next words almost made Navus drop the platter of figs and grapes. "I updated our records in the Compendium before she left Urbs Hostiae. She and I are already wed."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.4K 1.3K 39
As long as people believed that there was a division between the Gifted and the non-Gifted, that one was superior to the other, I wasn't done. As lon...
310K 23.5K 107
May the fittest survive!! The whole galaxy lives upon that law. A world where no one is allowed to show his weakness to anyone. You are weak, you are...
1K 228 37
Two kings. One woman. Two children. Countless hearts broken. A lost princess stuck in between. Losing the one person she called father to the King of...
11.4K 550 29
Siri Walker is a 26 year old woman and a lawyer. She is an orphan and lives in New York. One day after winning a case she was returning home with her...