the princess and the pauper ♕...

By wishtherebestars

a peaky blinders x downton abbey crossover "Trust me, Dowager. You will not see me again until I've made myse... More

cast
prologue
chapter one: titanic
chapter two: ada shelby
chapter three: london
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven
chapter twenty eight
epilogue

chapter twelve

4.4K 150 4
By wishtherebestars

1919

Everything had gone past faster than Ophelia liked. 1919 was a new start and she knew she had to do it. She would wait as long as she could for Tommy, but she also knew her parents would let her wait forever. She wondered what her life would be like if she had been able to be with Tommy.

She had been thinking about throwing her life around, and it was then she noticed Sybil acting up. She would sneak out more and go into Ripon a lot more with Branson. Ophelia walked to her sister, smiling brightly. "I heard you'd go into Ripon today, wondered if I can join. I'm visiting the black smith because I'm planning on finding new shoes for Cerberus" Ophelia said. "Oh, I mean yes, of course" Sybil said, and Ophelia smiled. "Thank you" she said and got ready.

When they went into Ripon there was a lot more awkwardness than expected, and Ophelia realised why. After their day, she sat in the car with Sybil with Branson driving. "So, how long have you two been in love" Ophelia asked, with the straightest face she could muster. "What?" Sybil asked faking confusion. "Don't. If anyone knows, it's me" Ophelia said and smiled at her sister. "Go for it. Don't let the world from before the war make you unhappy" Ophelia said. "Thank you" Sybil said.

After dinner she could see Sybil was nervous. Everyone had been planning for first Matthew and Lavinia's wedding which would be held day after tomorrow, and Mary's wedding to Sir Carlisle a week after. The door opened and Branson walked in, which caused Carson and Molesly, who had become a footman, look in confusion. "Is someone's car ready?" Lord Grantham said. "I'm here" Branson said, ignoring Lord Grantham.

"We can see that" Lord Grantham said. Ophelia looked from Branson to her sister. "Go for it" she said again to Sybil, who walked over to Tom. "Papa, we have been wanting to tell you. I want to marry Tom" Sybil said. "Who's Tom?" Lady Grantham asked. "The chauffeur" Mary told her grandmother. "Are you out of your mind" Lord Grantham said. "Papa, please listen to them" Ophelia said. "You knew?" he asked her. "I only knew today, and I think it's lovely. Sybil should be with someone she loves" Ophelia said. "I want him out of my sight right now" Lord Grantham said. "Robert!" Lady Grantham said, looking at her husband. "Papa, please" Sybil said. "I'll go" Branson said, and Sybil ran upstairs.

"Why can't she be happy?" Ophelia yelled, and Mary could tell this was not for just Sybil. "The chauffeur?! Are you serious?" Lord Grantham yelled at his youngest daughter. "We get nothing! Mary, Edith, Sybil, myself! We get nothing, everything goes to Matthew, Mary right now is fortunate enough to have found Sir Carlisle, and Sybil found love and her happiness in Branson, why can't you be happy for your daughter" Ophelia said before running after Sybil.

Neither of them said anything and just slept in Sybils bed. In the morning Sybil and Lord Grantham ignored each other. Ophelia didn't speak much either but then again, she was very tired. "A letter for you, my lady" Carson said and gave it to Ophelia. "Thank you, Carson" Ophelia said.

"Dear Ophelia,

We haven't spoken much since the war ended; I hope we can see each other soon. I don't know what has happened to my brothers, but they seem different. Arthur has been struggling with the Flemish blues, and John has headaches more often than not. Perhaps it's because of the children running around his feet. And Tommy, Tommy came back last, and he has been so cold, he fixed a race and got in deep with the wrong people. Elia, I don't want to lose my brothers.

Love, Ada"

Ophelia read the letter and her heart ached when she read about Tommy, and his brothers. "At dinner tonight, Lavinia and Cousin Isobel will join for the wedding tomorrow. We have all the decorations up already" Lord Grantham said. "It already looks beautiful" Edith said. "I love weddings, especially after everything we went through" Edith said. "It's a nice chance of scenery." Ophelia said before leaving to her room. She would write Ada back later, she had much to do for the wedding tomorrow.

Later that evening she didn't see Carson at dinner, only Molesly. "Is Carson alright?" Ophelia asked. "He wasn't feeling well, my lady" Molesly said. "Oh, I hope he feels better soon, Lady Grantham wasn't feeling well either" Lord Grantham said, and Ophelia hoped neither Carson nor her mother had anything serious. "We will call Dr. Clarkson, to see if he can come by" Lord Grantham said. "I hope if no one minds, I am not feeling well either" Lavinia said. "You can stay in my room, to make sure you feel good" Mary said. Lavinia thanked Mary and went to her room as someone went to call Clarkson.

After dinner everyone waited in the drawing room to hear the news about the sick people at Downton. Dr. Clarkson walked in. "Unfortunately, Carson, Lavinia and Lady Crawley all have the Spanish flu" Clarkson said. "What can we do?" Ophelia asked. "Give them enough water and try to keep them cool. I have left enough medicine to give to them" Clarkson said. "Thank you, if you want to stay here for safety, we can give you a room" Lord Grantham said. "Thank you, but I'll come back tomorrow morning, to check on everything" Clarkson said.

Ophelia got dressed in her old nurse outfit and went to help as much as she could, as did her Cousin Isobel and Sybil. They were the trained nurses and each of them stayed with someone. Sybil stayed with her mother, as did O'Brien, and Isobel stayed with Lavinia and Ophelia went to see Carson and a maid who had fallen ill.

"Your ladyship, you don't need to be here" Carson said. "I do, it's the least I could do for everything you've done for us over the years Carson" Ophelia said. "If you do, please also check up on the others. I would heal better if I knew everyone was fine" Carson said. "Of course," Ophelia said. She went back to Lavinia, who seemed to have the least number of symptoms of them all. They were also the least severe. Her mother was doing much worse. She was having very severe symptoms, from a high fever to barely breathing.

"If she makes it through the night, she will live, but I would like someone to keep a close eye on her." Clarkson said. "I will stay here; Ophelia can tend to the others" Sybil said. "Yes, I will, and I will check in here as well" Ophelia said. "I will call if things get worse" Sybil told Ophelia. She went back to check on Lavinia. "How would you describe Mary and Matthew's relationship?" she asked when it was just the two of them. "In all honestly?" Ophelia asked. "Please" Lavinia said. "I think it's a 'right people, wrong time' situation" Ophelia said, sitting on the chair next to Lavinia's bed. "I know. I feel like if there hadn't been a war, those two would have reunited again" Lavinia said. "Probably. But Matthew loves you too. And Mary is with Sir Carlisle" Ophelia said. "Can you give me a piece of paper; I need to write a letter" Lavinia said. "Of course," Ophelia said and gave her some paper and a pen to write with. "I will check on Carson so you can write your letter in peace" Ophelia said. "Make sure to keep drinking water and keep cool" Ophelia said.

She went back to the servant's quarters and checked in on Carson. "Any progress?" Carson asked. "My lady?" he quickly added. "Lady Grantham is doing worse, if she makes it through the night she will live" Ophelia said and placed a cup of tea on his nightstand. "Then we shall pray to her health" Carson said. "We shall" Ophelia said when Mrs. Hughes walked in. "My lady, it's Lady Grantham" she said. Ophelia nodded and quickly ran back to her mother's room.

Cora Crawley had gotten worse since Ophelia last saw her. She was breathing even worse than before. "She keeps getting worse" Mary said, scared. Ophelia sat down next to her mother and helped O'Brien as best as she could. "If you want to rest O'Brien, no one will blame you" Ophelia said. "If it's alright, I would like to stay" O'Brien said. "Alright" Ophelia said, and they continued to help.

"I will take over" Sybil said. Ophelia nodded and went to check on Lavinia. When Ophelia arrived, she saw Lavinia sweating like crazy. "Lavinia" she said and ran over. She used a cloth to cool her down. "Someone!" Ophelia yelled. Isobel walked in and was surprised to see Lavinia in the state that she was. "She was fine when I left, I just went to check on Carson and Mama, I don't know what happened" Ophelia said.

"It's not your fault, my dear" Isobel said, and they tried to help her as much as they could. "I will find Dr. Clarkson and find Matthew" Ophelia said. She took a sprint and found Dr. Clarkson with her mother where everyone was. "Dr. Clarkson, it's Lavinia, she took a turn for the worst" Ophelia said and looked at Matthew and Mary. They all went with her and found Lavinia breathing even heavier. "Oh, my sweet" Matthew said and sat down next to her. "What do we do?" Ophelia asked. "There is not much we can do more, I'm afraid" Dr. Clarkson said as her breath kept hitching every few seconds. Isobel and Ophelia tried their best to help but after less than 15 minutes she stopped breathing all together.

Ophelia took a step back, to give Matthew space and Isobel to say their goodbyes. "I'm sorry" Dr. Clarkson said. Ophelia had tears in her eyes and went back to check on Carson. "Oh no, is—" Mrs. Hughes said. "Miss Swire has passed away" Ophelia said. "Oh poor Mr. Crawley" Mrs. Hughes said. "it's my fault, I left her on her own" Ophelia said. "No, this illness is to blame, there is nothing you could have done, my lady" she said. She hugged Ophelia as she cried.

Mr. Carson always said even the servants have their favourites. His was Mary, he knew her the longest and the best, and she would always come to him when she was younger, it was only natural. Mrs. Patmore had always liked Sybil best, she never treated her as just the cook and not even when she was younger. Mrs. Hughes had arrived after Sybil was born and just before Ophelia had been. Ophelia had become her favourite because the youngest was always just waddling after her older sisters and would often follow Mrs. Hughes as well.

"Now, you go inform Mr. Carson, he'd like to know" Mrs. Hughes said. Ophelia dried her face and she walked into the room. "Is everything alright, my lady?" Carson asked. "Miss Swire has succumbed from the illness" Ophelia said. "I am very sorry to the loss, give my sympathies to Mr. Crawley" Carson said. "I will, now you get well Carson" Ophelia said before she went back to her mother. She fell asleep on the chair and told everyone to wake her if something happened.

In the morning, when Ophelia awoke, she woke to her mother being much better. Her breathing was clearer, and the fever was much less. "Please, sleep O'Brien, it will you do no good if you fall ill due to overworking and exhaustion" Ophelia said. "Thank you, my lady, do wake me if you need anything" O'Brien said. "I will, but she has surpassed the hardest and worse part" Ophelia said and grabbed a piece of paper and pen before writing back Ada.

"Dear Ada,

I'm sorry to hear such news about your brothers. I have heard herbal teas help for headaches and perhaps someone helping him and his wife out with the children will also help John's headache. I have no advice for Arthur's blues, I have heard many men suffer from it, and it pains me I can't help you more. As for coldness, I don't think there is a cure for that either. I was hoping I can visit you soon. Unfortunately, our house has been caught in the Spanish flu, and my cousin has lost his fiancé a day before their wedding. I will try come after the funeral, if I can.

Love, Elia"

She finished her letter and asked it to be send. It would arrive soon and hopefully before the funeral.

Her mother got better in time for the funeral, and after Ophelia paid her sympathies she left for Birmingham, still dressed in black. "Lost your husband?" a woman on the train asked her. "Oh, no. Unmarried still. My cousin's fiancée recently passed away" she said. "I'm sorry dear" the woman said, and Ophelia thanked her. When she arrived at the station, she saw Ada waving at her. "I can't believe you're here!" Ada said and hugged her. "Me neither" Ophelia said. "How was the funeral?" Ada asked. "Beautiful, it's what she deserved. She was a sweet girl, around our age" Ophelia said. "Horrible. Surviving through a war and then die of an illness" Ada said.

"What about you, how have you been going?" Ophelia asked. "John's wife passed away around the same time as your cousin's fiancée did." Ada said. "I'm sorry, can't imagine he now has to deal with all his children on his own" Ophelia said. "It's sad" Ada said. "But Polly is helping out where she can, she is still getting used to not running the shop anymore" Ada said. "It is strange, and even I'm still adjusting" Ophelia said. "I heard there is a job here, they search for war nurses who can look after the more severe cases" Ada said.

"You'd be perfect for that" Polly said when they walked into the Shelby home on Watery Lane. "Thank you, but I'll need to think about it. I don't think my parents would like that for me" Ophelia said. "Of course not, here, change into these clothes in Ada's room. No need for mourning here" Polly said. Ophelia thanked her and went to change.

She came down again and saw Ada hold a gun. "Where did you get this Finn" she asked. "Was on the table, it's John's" Finn said and smiled when he saw Ophelia. "How you have grown Finn!" Ophelia smiled. "I'll be 11 Sunday!" he said with a smile. "I will remember to send you a gift then" Ophelia smiled. "Thank you!" Finn said and ran off again. "You don't need to" Ada said. "I do, Finn is only 11 he shouldn't have to remember all things bad." Ophelia said. "Ada! Family meeting at 8" Arthur said and stopped when he saw Ophelia. "Ah, the miracle nurse returns" Arthur said. "Hello Arthur, good to see you" she said. "As much as I like you, Princess, can't have you at family meetings" Arthur said. "Can't just leave her to stand outside" Ada said.

"It's alright Ada, I will find something to do" she said. "You're staying then?" Arthur asked. "Until tomorrow" Ophelia said. "Depends on what you like to see" Arthur said. "My interest only goes to books and horses I'm afraid." Ophelia said. "You can see the stables then, Curly would love to show you around" Arthur said. "That's where I'll be then" Ophelia said. "I will come get you for dinner after then" Ada said, and they spend the afternoon catching up.

Just before 8 Ophelia left the Shelby home and walked over to the stables, she didn't mind the walk. When she arrived, she saw a man tending to a black horse. "He's beautiful" Ophelia said. "Can you be here?" Curly asked her. "Arthur Shelby send me; I wasn't allowed at the family meeting. And I love horses, so he suggested I come here" Ophelia said, stroking the horse nose. "He's Tommy's, his name is Monaghan boy. Tommy did bad" Curly said.

"Did he do something to the horse?" Ophelia asked. "Chinese trick, it's dangerous" Curly said. "I see. I'm Ophelia" she said. "Curly, I look after the horses, speak to them" he said. "It's very important to speak to them. I always speak to my horse, Cerberus" Ophelia said. "What horse is he?" Curly asked. "Friesian got him just before the war" Ophelia said. "Good horse" Curly said. "He is. If I need tending, I will ask for you. You seem much more capable" Ophelia said. "Thank you, love horses, I do" Curly said.

"He truly does" Tommy said in the entrance of the stable. "Tommy, she said Arthur send her, I promise" Curly said. "It's alright Curly, Lady Ophelia is always welcome, remember that" Tommy said and Curly nodded and walked away. "Didn't know you liked horses" Tommy said. "You never asked. But I do. I have one myself, my father gifted him to me after my first one passed away. Families like mine ride more than we walk" Ophelia said. "I must show you around on horse then" Tommy said. "Perhaps you should. But if you do, I think Ada will have your head" Ophelia said. "Ey, that she will" Tommy said and nodded for her to come back.

"Thank you for walking me back" Ophelia said before she went inside. Polly came out after her and saw Tommy's face. "Meet me" Polly said and walked to the Church. She sat in a bench and Tommy sat down in the one in front of her.

"Tell me everything. God and Aunt Polly are listening." She said. "It was meant to be routine. I had a buyer in London for some motorcycles" Tommy started. "I asked my men to steal me four bikes with petrol engines, I'm guessing my men were drunk." He continued. "There's a still inside the factory makes tramline gin, they picked the wrong fucking crate. The bays dropped it at Charlie Strong's yard, as agreed. Must have taking it from the proofing bay, instead of the export bay" Tommy said.

"Holy sweet baby of Mary" Polly said. "Inside we found Lewis machine guns, rounds of ammunition, semi-automatic rifles, pistols with shells" Tommy said. "Jesus, Tommy" Polly said. "All bound for Libya, sitting right there in Charlie Strong's yard" Tommy said. "Tell me you threw them in the cut" Polly said. "We put them in the stables out of the rain. The guns hadn't been greased yet" Tommy said. "So that's why they sent the cop from Belfast" Polly said. "Maybe, maybe not" Tommy said.

Polly hit him few times from behind on his arm. "Thomas, you're a bookmaker, a robber, a fighting man. You're not a fool" Polly said. "You sell those guns to anyone, you'll hang" she said. "I don't know what happened to you over there, but you have been more a fool as you are cold.

"Will you dump them?" Polly asked. "No, Charlie won't move contraband under a full moon" Tommy said. "3 days until it wanes" Polly said. "You have your mother's common sense but your father's devilment" she said. "I see them fighting, let your mother win" she said. "Now, tell me about Ada's friend" she said.

"What about Ada's friend" Tommy said. "Tommy, I told you. I'm listening, but God has been watching" she said. "We ran into each other during the war. She was a nurse with my unit" he said. "It happened before, didn't it" Polly asked. "It did. She woke up early after staying over with Ada, and her mother lost her baby. I consoled her through the grief, and I wanted to kill anyone who caused her grief" Tommy said looking at the cross the Church put up. "You're in love with her" Polly said, sitting back and took a deep breath. "I am" Tommy said. "This recklessness, is it to proof her something?" Polly asked. "No, it's for me. I need this to be a legitimate business and turn big. I will proof I can be a man she can marry" Tommy said. "My God, you truly would risk everything for the young lady" Polly said.

"I would, and still will." Tommy said and stood up. Polly grabbed his arm. "Your love line, it's identical to hers" Polly said. "Thank you" he said and walked on. 

...

can't stay away from each other, gosh i love them

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141K 4.3K 65
On a train arrives a young woman. She's naive, she's kind, she's everything the city begs her not to be. When she meets Thomas Shelby, he is unlike a...
90.2K 2.2K 19
What would happen if Polly's daughter had survived rather than her son? What would happen if Michael wasn't a Shelby but instead fell for one? - Mich...
374K 16.5K 51
( 𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐘 𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐁𝐘 ) 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘪 𝘢𝘮. ( tommy shelby x beatrice price...
482K 10.2K 32
the youngest petrovna gets tangled in an affair with a peaky blinder. john shelby complete