Unleashing Chaos

By CrystalAndFelicity

*TRADITIONALLY PUBLISHED BY FRAYED PAGES x WATTPAD BOOKS! COMING TO BOOKSTORES 6/11/24!!* |2022 Wattys Shortl... More

Authors' Note (May 2024)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Six

6K 423 79
By CrystalAndFelicity

Jace never asked me for any more details about what happened with Patrick after he determined that I really was all right, just made me promise not to go to any more nightclubs alone unless I did some research on their reputations first.

So the next time, I just stuck to the dating apps, and scheduled a date with a twenty-six-year-old real estate agent named Hunter who appeared to be perfectly normal from our conversations and his photos.

But as I sit here at this fancy cocktail bar on the ritzy side of Denver, all dressed up in a short fit and flare black dress with a single strand of pearls, my hair piled on my head in a mountain of curls, sipping on my third gin and tonic, I am questioning all my life choices.

Hunter was due to be here an hour ago, and I am still sitting here waiting like the pathetic demon I am. I just need to give it up. He's not coming.

"Did that asshole stand you up?" a deep voice says from right next to me, and I crane my neck to look up into bright blue eyes.

"Yeah, looks like it," I grumble, motioning for my roommates to sit down. Jace sits in the chair next to me, and Cannon plops down across from us. "So much for y'all watching one of my dates from afar to tell me what you think is going wrong—or to make sure he's not a creeper. He didn't even have the common decency to show up." I down my gin and tonic and set the empty glass on the table so hard it almost shatters.

"I have to admit that I wasn't really down with spying on your date anyway." Jace rolls the sleeves of his button-up shirt to his forearms and takes a swig of his craft beer.

Cocking my head to the side, I turn and lean on my elbow. "Why did you agree to do it, then? You don't seem like the kind of guy that goes along with things you don't want to do. In fact, you seem like the total opposite of that," I retort.

"It was a long day of reading through contracts and starting on a new project for a bigger client. I thought I could use the laugh if this all went wrong. I didn't expect your date to completely avoid you." He glares at Cannon across the table. "Not to mention that this guy here doesn't take no for an answer."

Cannon grins. "When Desi said she wanted us to help her, I couldn't say no. I mean look at her," Cannon says, gesturing toward me. "It's impossible."

"Well, I'm glad my horrific dating life can provide you two with entertainment for the evening." I fold my cocktail napkin over and over into a tiny square. "In all seriousness...do you think there's something wrong with me? This is like, the sixth attempt at a date I've been on, and not one of them has been a success. I'm seeing a common denominator here..."

"It's not you, Desi. You are looking for it too hard. Good things have a way of finding you when you least expect it," Cannon says.

I sigh and sit back in my chair. "I guess I'm going to just cool it with the dates for a little bit; maybe the right guy will just march right up to me at the mall and tell me how gorgeous he thinks I am," I say with a breathy laugh, taking a sip of water from the glass the server had brought me earlier.

Jace rubs his lips together and stares at his beer. Over the last couple of weeks, I've learned to read him a little better. When he gets quiet like this, he is usually working through his thoughts before he voices them. "You might be struggling through the dating stuff, but you seem like a smart woman. I don't understand why it's so important to your father that you get married. People run successful businesses and hold it together just fine without a partner. You said the other night that your dad would settle for you picking a friend. Why don't you go that route? Wouldn't it be easier?"

"It would be easier, but if I did that, I would never be able to go back and change my mind. Whatever we choose is for eternity." He raises one eyebrow over his glasses, and I backpedal. "For life. And then, I'd never be able to marry for love. And I want that too much to give it up."

Jace nudges me with his shoulder. "I don't know where you're from, Desideria, but your family has some strange customs. Around here, half the relationships don't last five years, let alone a lifetime."

"Trust me; I know it's strange. Which is why I am really enjoying my time here. Thank you both for being my friends, honestly. I couldn't do this without your help."

"You're not going to ask us to join in on your bizarre family business, are you?" Jace asks.

I laugh and elbow him in the side. "No. You are safe from my father's brand of crazy."

"Jace! What a surprise to see you here." I swivel in my seat to find a man wearing a suit with salt and pepper hair, clapping Jace on the back.

"Hey, Matt. It's good to see you," Jace says, holding out his hand.

The men shake hands and Jace introduces Cannon before Matt gives his attention to me. "And who is this beautiful woman you have with you?"

"Oh, this is Desi. She's my—"

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Desi. I'm Matt Brown." He brings my knuckles to his lips and places a light kiss on them. "Your date is one hell of a graphic designer. He's one of the best I've seen in a long time. This guy has talent seeping out of every pore."

I don't recognize the man by sight, but Jace has talked about him enough with Cannon that I know exactly who this is. Not only is Jace a fan of his work, but Matt is the investor that he's been trying so hard to impress, and by the looks of things, it's working.

Since Jace dropped everything to help me escape the situation at the night club, I decide in this moment to do what I can to put in a good word for him and make sure this Matt guy sees Jace for what he is—a damn hard worker.

I flash Matt a bright smile and say, "Doesn't he, though? I've never seen someone who can just...envision something and then turn around and create it so easily just like that." I snap my fingers and look at Jace adoringly. "Not to mention he's the best human I know."

It's not exactly a lie. He and Cannon are the only humans I know, and I know them almost equally. I'm laying it on thick, and Jace is looking at me like I have finally lost my damn mind.

Matt chuckles. "And I thought I got a hard-on about your work. I think Desi is outranking me as your number one fan."

"I'm pretty sure Jace is just as turned on by your work. He practically has a shrine to you in our hallway."

Jace's cheeks burn dark pink, and I have no clue why. He admires this man, wants him to be a part of his dream business. He should have showered Matt with compliments long before I came along. Humans love when someone strokes their egos; even I know that.

Matt quirks a brow. "Your girl is good. I just might write you a check right now."

I glance at Jace out of the corner of my eye and it's obvious he's doing everything in his power to keep his jaw from unhinging. Just to mess with him a little bit more because it's fun to watch him squirm, I reach over, put my hand on his knee, and squeeze. "I guess you better keep me around, huh?"

"He will, Desi," Matt answers for him. "He's going to need you next weekend at the charity dinner I'm inviting you both to. Some other well-known designers will be there with their pieces up for bid. It will be a good networking opportunity for him, and I'm sure you will be amazing at winning them all over."

"Yeah, I'd love to come," Jace says, finally finding his voice.

"I'm not kidding, bring this enchanting creature, would you?" Matt asks Jace, nodding toward me, and I bat my eyelashes at Jace's idol.

"Of course."

"Good. Let's see how you do with a roomful of your peers. If you can win those cocky bastards over, I have to believe there's nothing you can't do." Matt nods at me. "It was a pleasure, Desi. Nice to meet you, Cannon. Jace, I'm sure you will enjoy the rest of your evening."

Matt walks away, and Jace sinks in his seat. All the worry leaves his muscles, and he turns into a human Jell-o formation. "Holy shit. That's the best conversation I've ever had with Matt. Even during my business proposal, he didn't interact that much with me."

I turn toward him in my seat, propping my elbow on the table and resting my chin in my palm. "Yeah? I wonder what the difference was..." I purse my lips and look up at the ceiling in mock contemplation.

"Where is that confidence on the dates you're going on? If you bring that to the table, you would be irresistible," Cannon says, and my gaze darts to him.

"Maybe if someone gave me a chance, I might be able to show it," I say.

"I'm still waiting for the sign that I'm good to ask you on a second date."

Jace's eyes dart between us, and when our gazes meet, something harsh flashes over his features. He quickly turns back to his beer and drains half the glass before I get the chance to analyze the emotion. 

I almost tell Cannon he can ask me anytime he wants, but something about that look on Jace's face makes me pause. He probably doesn't like the idea of Cannon and I dating—too much potential for break-up drama. So I just smile at Cannon and say, "I'll let you know."

"You know where to find me when you're ready."

"Are we good to get out of here?" Jace asks, jumping to his feet.

"Yeah, man. I believe you and I have a campaign to finish tonight."

"I've been thinking about it all day," Jace says, clapping Cannon on the back.

Jealousy boils inside me. The friendship between my roommates is so simple. From the very first day, they discovered they shared countless interests. I've always felt like a third wheel when the three of us are together. They share a love for movies, video games, sports, and business ventures. I try to keep up with their conversations, but I don't understand half of what they are talking about.

So for the whole car ride home, I listen to them drone on and on about whatever video game it is they're trying to beat.

I came to the human realm to try to fit in, to find a person who is my perfect match. But it's just more of the same—Desideria, the odd one out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202K 3.9K 25
*MATURE CONTENT* A Little Insight: As I walked to my wardrobe, he stood up and began taking slow, sinister steps towards me with his claws extracted...
65.7K 11.1K 122
🌟WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST 🌟WATTYS 2023 FANS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINEE 🌟WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST 🌟Editor's Pick (Reading Radar) Feb 2024 🌟 Featured Wattpa...
169K 6.3K 36
NEW STORY (+18) Highest Ranks: 1# Villain 31/01/2024, 3# Fiction 15/01/2024 #SteamyAdventure #EvilLove #SoulMates# There was a long-forgotten time wh...
892K 31.1K 26
WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST EDITOR'S CHOICE -- SEPTEMBER 2021 EXCLUSIVE CHAPTERS AND WRITER'S REVEAL CONTENT AVAILABLE - NOT A PAID STORY Appearances can b...