The Light Of His Life

By katiehelmsway

What if Damon Salvatore was engaged when he was a human? Before he was turned into a vampire by Katherine Pie... More

Author's Note
ACT I
CAST
HISTORY REPEATING
THE TURNING POINT
BLOODLINES
UNPLEASANTVILLE
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
FOOL ME ONCE
FLASHBACK: SIF COMES TO MYSTIC FALLS
A FEW GOOD MEN
THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
UNDER CONTROL
MISS MYSTIC FALLS
BLOODLINES
THE FOUNDER'S DAY
SEASON 2 CAST
THE RETURN
BRAND NEW WORLD

ISOBEL

544 20 0
By katiehelmsway

Caroline, Bonnie and Mysha were sitting in the cafeteria, discussing the founders' day. Caroline was going on about the Miss Mystic float and what should be done. She kept ranting about how the old floats were the worst and they need to be better. Both Bonnie and Mysha weren't properly listening to her.

Mysha wasn't listening because she wasn't interested and Bonnie had been absentminded since the death of her grandmother and she didn't really want to talk about the founders' day. Caroline seemed to have noticed the lack of enthusiasm from her friends as she called them out on it. They both comically sat upright and Bonnie said with determination, "Alright, show me."

Caroline started, "Okay, Let's reference last year's Miss Mystic float," She searched "Mystic Falls Founders' Day" on her computer. She showed the screen to Mysha and Bonnie, "This is what they did last year and this is exactly what we don't want to do." Mysha grimaced at the horrid sight on the screen while Bonnie comment with an, "Ew."

The float was probably the worst thing Mysha had ever seen. It was blue and white, had cake on it and all in all, was more like a child's birthday than the town's founders' day. Mysha hated it. Caroline agreed with them and Bonnie asked, "Okay! So, what are we doing?" Caroline said dramatically, "Southern classic elegance." Bonnie raised an eyebrow, "Gone with the Wind?"

Caroline asked, shocked, "How'd you know?" Mysha deadpanned, "You channel Scarlett, daily." Caroline grinned, "So true!" Three shared a laugh and Caroline is looking around. She wondered, "Where's Elena? She's supposed to be helping." Bonnie awkwardly shrugged while Mysha looked around for Elena. She seemed to be missing a lot. She was always with Stefan.

Caroline sighed, looking at Bonnie, "Okay, what's the deal?" Bonnie feigned ignorance, "What do you mean?" Mysha could feel a burst from Caroline coming and she did not want to be here for that. She can handle being in Bonnie's presence while she's with Caroline but she would be able to handle it if they started talking about personal stuff, it would get too awkward.

She was right as Caroline snapped, "Don't play dumb. You and Elena are fighting. Spill!" Bonnie rolled her eyes claiming it to be nothing and Caroline countered, "It's not nothing. You know this whole float is supposed to be about friends creating something together and everyone is fighting. Matt and Tyler hate each other, you and Elena are on the outs, you and Mysha are always on the outs and make things so awkward when you're within 5 feet and I don't like it! And I can't fix it if I don't know what's wrong."

Mysha glared at Caroline for bringing her into her speech. She was fine with the way things were in her life and while she knew that Caroline wasn't, she did not appreciate her bringing it up all the time. Bonnie sadly shook her head, "I can't talk about it, Caroline, I'm sorry." Caroline looked at her with pity and Bonnie stood up saying she needed to be somewhere.

Mysha banged her head on the table with a groan. Caroline looked at her with worry, "Did you get any sleep last night?" Mysha shook her head, "No, I was up the whole night. Sam kept testing me to call him back, but I don't want to call him back. That is why I'm avoiding him. But I'll have to see him later because Carol Lockwood wants to have rehearsals for standing on a float too. What do I do?" She whined and Caroline patted her back sympathetically, "Just tell him you don't want to get back together. I'm sure he'll get the hint when you spell it out for him."

Mysha nodded, "Yeah okay. Hey, can you come over after this? My mom wanted to take an interview of Miss Mystic Falls for the newspaper" Caroline looked apologetic as she replied, "Uh, can I come later. I'm having lunch with Sif." Mysha asked, confused, "Whose Sif?" Had she missed that much when she left? Caroline perked up, "Ooh, you know, Stefan? Elena's boyfriend? Sif's his brother's fiancee. I don't like Damon but Sif is actually really fun to hang out with. You should come with me." Mysha shook her head, "Can't. Dad wants me home after school. In school, we're only learning about the history of this town so my dad wants to make sure I don't forget my family history by teaching them to me himself."

Caroline nodded and they went back to figuring out what kind of float to make.

⟪⁌‖↤∾∳∾↦‖⁍⟫

Damon and Sif entered Alaric's classroom. Elena, Stefan and Alaric all turned their heads, hearing the door open. Sif spoke before any of them could say anything, "What was so important that we had to be here so early?" Elena raised an eyebrow, "Uh, it's 10:30." Sif narrowed her eyes, "And that's way too early for me to deal with any of this. I need my beauty sleep." Alaric acknowledged them, ignoring Sif's mad look, "Damon, Sif, thanks for coming." Damon answered, "Sorry we're late. My dog ate my uh...never mind."

He looked at Stefan and Elena, "What's with all the furrowed brows?" Alaric grimly replied, "I saw Isobel last night." Sif raised her eyebrows and Damon questioned, "Isobel is here? In town?" Alaric nodded and Damon continued, "Did you ask her about Uncle John? Are they working together?" Alaric shook his head.

Damon continued to prod, "No they're not?" Alaric replied, "No, I didn't ask." "What about the invention?" "Didn't ask." Damon huffed in frustration, "Did words completely escape you?" Alaric snapped at him, "No, I was a little too distracted by my dead vampire wife to ask any questions." Sif looked at Elena and Stefan, noticing their expression, "What did she want?" Elena answered, "She wants to see me.

Stefan continued," Alaric is supposed to arrange a meeting. We don't know why or what she wants." Damon looked at Elena, who he'd come to think of as a friend after getting over her curious personality, "You don't have to see her if you don't want to." Elena shook her head, "I don't really have a choice." Alaric explained, "She's threatened to go on a killing spree." Sif chuckled, "Oh! I take it that's not okay with you guys." Elena looked determined, "I want to do it. I want to meet her. If I don't, I know I'll regret it."

Sif clapped her hands, "I think that's a great idea. I can also finally see what's so great about this Isobel that has fear rooted deep in your hearts." Alaric informed her that Isobel asked for Elena alone and Sif pouted, dejected by the information. But she didn't mind. She wanted to meet Isobel and she was already devising a meeting in her head.

⟪⁌‖↤∾∳∾↦‖⁍⟫

They set up a time with Isobel and went to the grill. Elena and Stefan went inside while Damon, Sif and Alaric stayed outside the establishment. Damon whined, wanting some excitement, "We should be in there." Alaric shook his head, "No, Isobel made it clear we're not to step a foot inside." Sif spoke, "We outnumber her and us vampires are all older than her. I'm pretty sure she can't do a thing to any of us and if you're concerned about the civilians, I can assure you, we can easily stop her before she even touches a hair on a human."

Damon pointed at her and nodded, agreeing with her, "And besides, I'm not going to kill her in a crowded restaurant." Alaric ordered, "You're not going to kill her period!" Damon asked, "She ruined your life and you still want to protect her?" Alaric stated, "Isobel is my wife." The vampire couple gave him a look, knowing full well it wasn't true anymore. Alaric changed his words, "Was my wife. I looked for the woman I married but she wasn't there. Whoever that is, she's cold and detached."

Damon nodded, "Yeah, she's given up her humanity." Alaric scoffed, "Yeah, see, I don't get that. Stefan has his humanity, he's a good guy. And you're a dick and you kill people but I still see something human in you. And Sif, you're tactless and sometimes creepy and dangerous and you scare me, but I know you still feel human emotions. But with her, there was...nothing." Sif smirked at the fact that the teacher was scared of her.

Damon explained, "You can turn it off, like a button you can press. I mean, Stefan's different. He wants the whole human experience. He wants to feel every episode of How I Met Your Mother, so he shuts his feelings out. The problem is, as a vampire, your instinct is not to feel. Isobel chose the easier road - no guilt, no shame, no regret. I mean, come on, if you could turn it off, wouldn't you?" Sif corrected her fiance, "Actually after you turn a certain age, you can't turn your humanity off. The guilt and the bad stuff just gets too much after a time."

Damon shrugged, not really caring. He didn't think he would ever have to switch his humanity off. He had everything he wanted and the only thing that could ever make him turn it off was losing Sif. And he was confident they would never break up.

They saw Stefan and Elena come out of the building and walked over to them. They asked about Isobel. Elena answered in a sad tone, "She wants the device tonight." Damon instantly shook his head, "No. Nope. She's not getting it and we don't know what it does. I'm not risking it." Stefan opened his mouth to argue but Sif cut him off, "I agree with Damon. It would be incredibly stupid for us to give up a device we don't know anything about. It could be used against us."

Elena asked, "So what should we do?" Sif smiled at her, "Judging by the look on your face, I'm going to guess the conversation with your mum didn't go the way you hoped. I know a thing or two about bad mums. Why don't you go home and rest? We'll deal with Isobel. I promise she won't bother you anymore." She could feel the shocked gazes on her. No one probably expected her to be kind to the doppelganger but she didn't mind. As she said, she knew what it was like to have a bad mother. She could sympathize.

Elena sent her a grateful look and Stefan went to drop her at her house. Alaric turned to her and repeated Elena's question. Sif smirked, "Isobel's not getting any device tonight. Though she will have a guest to attend to tonight. I'm finally going to see the Isobel everyone's talking about."

Alaric nodded left and Damon turned to her, "Ok, come on. Let's go home." Sif shook her head, "Sorry, I have plans. I'm meeting Caroline for lunch here. She should be here any moment." Damon looked at her, confused, "You're meeting Blondie? Why?" Sif answered him, "She's nice company. Reminds me of Rebekah, that one." And she wasn't wrong. Caroline was so much like Rebekah in so many aspects, they could be the same person in different bodies. Caroline's bitchiness yet innocence made her think of her little sister and she loved it. It made her nostalgic.

Damon looked at her strangely for a few moments but left nonetheless. He was dreading meeting his fiancee's sister more and more. He did not think he could deal with another Caroline.

Sif went inside and got a table. She sat and looked at the menu, looking at all the new dishes this century had. Caroline came just then and sat in front of her with a perky grin. "Hi!" she said. Sif put her menu down and greeted her new friend. They looked at the menu for a few more minutes and ordered their food. Caroline spoke as the waiter left with their order, "So why'd you wanna meet?"

Sif shrugged, "I don't know. You are quite a lot like my little sister who I haven't seen in a long while. And I enjoy your company." Caroline smiled brightly, "Well, I hope your sister's nice. I would love to meet her." Sif chuckled, "Oh, my sister can be quite mean too, so I don't know if you two would be friends. But she's my favourite sister and I adore her." Caroline asked curiously, "You have more sisters?" Sif shook her head, "No, only one. I have four brothers though."

Caroline's eyes widened, "Wow that's a lot of brothers." Sif laughed, "I know! The masculinity in our house suffocates me sometimes. But I love them so I deal with it. Do you have any siblings, Caroline?" Caroline shook her head, "Oh no, I'm an only child. But my friend Mysha and I grew up together. Literally. Our parents have been best friends for a long time. She's a lot like my sister."

Sif smiled, "That's great. I'm not in touch with my parents. We have a lot of bad blood." Caroline was about to reply when the food arrived. They ate their lunch and had a great time becoming friends. Sif was glad to have someone new to talk to. As much as she loved Damon, she was always in his company and having a friend who wasn't his friend was nice.

⟪⁌‖↤∾∳∾↦‖⁍⟫

Later that night, Sif and Damon drove up to Isobel's residence. It wasn't that hard, really. They just found the house that stood out and that was it. They entered just as Isobel sent her compelled human away. Damon spoke up, "It's good to see you, Isobel. How's vampire life treating you?" Isobel tensed and asked, "How did you find me?"

Nonchalantly, Damon answered, "Searched all the neighbourhood bank-owned foreclosures and found the most expensive one." Isobel chuckled, "Oh I should have known. You're the one who taught me that. What are you really doing here?" Sif spoke up, "Well you caused quite a stir, you blew into town. Made me even more eager to meet you." Damon added, "Saw everyone except for the man who made you. I'm a little hurt."

Isobel ignored Damon as she addressed Sif, on edge by her presence, "Katherine warned me about you." Sif smirked, "Good. You should be warned. It makes you aware of what you can do without getting killed. But of course, you didn't care. You went after your own daughter. I hate bad mothers, you know. Absolutely loathe them."

Isobel forced herself to relax and asked, "Did you bring the device?" Damon ignored her question, "What are you doing with John Gilbert?" Isobel shrugged. "We dated a few times when we were young. He was a little bit in love with me," She bragged. Damon sarcastically replied, "I'm sure. One of the many. Now, this little invention what do you want with it?"

Isobel pointed to herself, "Oh, me personally? I don't want anything with it. I'm just doing what I'm told. Katherine wants John Gilbert to have the device and I think that you know that she's not happy when she doesn't get what she wants." Sif scoffed, "Honey, I'm last five hundred years making sure that she is not happy. Why would I care about it now?" Damon asked, "Why are you doing her dirty work?"

Isobel replied, "Don't kill the messenger. We both know that you can't control Katherine." Sif piped in, "Actually I can and I have been for a long time." Isobel continued, "She does what she wants." Damon claimed that so does he and Isobel stepped closer to him, flirting, "Oh really Damon? You do? What should we do now?" Sif was seething with anger even before Isobel kissed Damon. But when she did, Sif was ready to rip her head off.

But before she could do anything, Damon slammed her into a wall using vamp-speed and held her throat. He started, "Now that I have your attention, listen up. You do not come into my town; threaten the people I care about. Going after Elena? Bad move. You leave her alone or I will rip you to bits because I do believe in killing the messenger. You know why? Because it sends a message," He slammed her head against the wall and let go of her, "Katherine wants something from me? You tell that little bitch to come and get it herself."

Sif suggested, "Actually, why don't we tell her ourselves?" She picked up Isobel's phone and went through her contacts. She stopped at Katherine's. She dialled the number and to her delight, Katherine picked up the phone after two rings. "Did you get the device?" Katherine rang and Sif smirked, "Yes. I was delighted when Pearl gave the device to me." Katherine's tense voice replied, "Sif."

Sif answered, "Yes. It's me. I'm quite happy to be finally out of the tomb. How are you? Did you enjoy your time free of me? Because I missed you. A lot." Katherine snarked, "The last 145 years were the best years of my life. I mean, you didn't have Damon and I was finally rid of you." "Not anymore, you're not. I just got your number and in this century, communication is so much easier. I have to say, if I didn't have a lot of trouble with communicating with my friends right now, I would say this is my favourite century yet."

Katherine replied, "Did you just call me to complain about your troubles or do you want something?" Sif chuckled, "Well, I personally want the same thing from you I have always wanted. To make your life hell. But it has reached my ears that you are looking for a device that is currently in my possession. If you really want the device, come to Mystic Falls and get it yourself. I'm sure you the way, you've been before. Bye-bye now." She hung up without waiting for a response.

Sif turned to where Damon was keeping a struggling Isobel down and walked towards them. She bent down to where Isobel was sitting. "Now that that's settled, what do we do with you," she wondered, "Alaric mentioned that you were a researcher. Well, why don't you do some research for me?" She made eye contact with Isobel and compelled her, "You will leave right this second and go find anything you can about the Mikaelsons. You will look for Elijah and Klaus Mikaelson and then come back to Mystic Falls to me with their location."

Isobel repeated her words and sped outside the house. Sif stood up and faced Damon who was leaning against the wall with a smirk. She smiled as he reached his hand out to her. They interlocked their fingers and went back home. Sif couldn't keep the grin off her face. She was a lot closer to her family now.

Words: 3149

[A/N: Well, I changed a lot of things in this episode. I just didn't think it would be believable if Sif gave up the device to Isobel because while she is cunning, she also does not like admitting defeat. At all. Even if it's to con people. But now the question is, How will John Gilbert get his hands on the device? Will he even get it or will I change the entire plot around it?

Also, Mysha made a small appearance in this chapter. She is kind of a small character right now but I have great plans for her so I hope you're at the edge of your seat wondering, cause I can tell you, it will blow your mind.

So, did you like the changes I made? The lunch date with Sif and Caroline? Sif actually being sweet to Elena? Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Please comment. Don't be a silent reader. Hope you enjoyed the chapter!]

COMMENT!

VOTE!

SHARE!

-Katie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 23.8K 58
Juliet Salvatore hasn't seen her brothers since 1864, she thought they were dead. After she woke up she thought she was all alone, she didn't want to...
7.4K 188 14
In this story Elena never was sacrificed for a ritual for Klaus. Klaus' werewolf side was never dormant. When he came to town he was just trying to f...
14.8K 129 29
The Unknown Salvatore is about this 17 year old girl, Addison, who moves to Mystic Falls to meet her father, Zach Salvatore. When see gets to Mystic...
65.8K 739 3
Damon Salvatore, silver never gold. Second never first. Compared to his martyr golden brother, he is a spare. To his parents, Katherine, friends and...