falling down | finnick odair

By thealexgriffin

ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴜɴɢᴇʀ ɢᴀᴍᴇꜱ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴅᴇꜱᴛʀᴏʏ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴜʀᴇꜱᴛ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛꜱ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴇxᴀᴄᴛʟʏ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴘᴏᴏʀ ᴀʟᴇxɪꜱ ʀɪʙʙ... More

𝙵𝙰𝙻𝙻𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝙳𝙾𝚆𝙽
𝙶𝚁𝙰𝙿𝙷𝙸𝙲𝚂
→ 𝙰𝙲𝚃 𝙾𝙽𝙴
𝚘𝚗𝚎
𝚝𝚠𝚘
𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎
𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛
→ 𝙰𝙲𝚃 𝚃𝚆𝙾
𝚝𝚠𝚘

𝚘𝚗𝚎

923 31 2
By thealexgriffin

 THE BED FELT empty next to Alexis as her eyes fluttered open, the morning light seeping through the windows into her bedroom. A long yawn escaped her lips as she stretched her arms across the bed before a grin appeared on her face. She lifted her hand above her face, admiring her mother's golden ring wrapped around her petite finger, the diamond shimmering in the sunlight.

Alexis was surprised when Rael had pulled out her mother's ring. Her father had never really approved of Rael, saying she deserved someone with a more stable lifestyle. Perhaps he was right, but Alexis loved Rael despite his hardships. In fact, it only made her love him more. 

Perhaps that's why her father gave him the ring. He couldn't stop them from loving each other, that much they knew. Even if her father didn't like Rael, anyone with two eyes in District 4 could see how in love the two teenagers were. Alexis smiled at the thought, happy her father was finally coming around to Rael. 

The smile quickly faded, her hand dropping to her side as she heard the staff scurrying around the house, preparing for what would be Alexis' last reaping. Taking a deep, Alexis slipped out of bed, making her way to her closet. Browsing through her clothes, Alexis' breath hitched when she found what she was looking for. 

Several minutes later, Alexis stared dully at the mirror in front of her. The sundress fit around her dainty frame perfectly, as though it was made for her. The sea-green pattern contrasting against her pale skin, bringing out the blueness of her eyes. Her blonde hair flowed over like waves of a waterfall, completing the look. 

Alexis looked delicate and beautiful. Just like her mother, her father would often tell her every year when she wore her mother's dress.

Clearing her throat, Alexis turned away from the mirror, unable to bare looking into it any longer. She still remembered her mother. Remembered her ocean blue eyes and her identical blonde hair. The way she laughed was still engrained into Alexis' memory. Alexis knew she was the spitting image of her mother and it's why she hated looking into the mirror. It made it seem as if she was alive again, like she had never caught the deadly disease that swept through District 4 several years ago.

Alexis glanced over her room once more, taking in every small detail like it was the last time she would ever see it. Deep down, she couldn't ignore the pit in her stomach and the way she felt nauseous when she thought about that day's reaping. 

Shaking the thoughts out of her head, Alexis took a deep breath as she slipped out of her room and headed down towards the kitchen where her father was surely waiting for her. Walking down the hallway, Alexis had to cut around the staff who were scurrying to get everything done before the reaping today.

Alexis wondered if any of them had children in the reaping today but brushed the thoughts away as she entered the kitchen.

"Morning, father," Alexis greeted her father as she grabbed the toast off the table, taking a small bite.

Roman Ribbon was a tall, lean man with fierce eyes and charcoal hair to match. Much like his appearance, he was a strict man driven by logic and rules. This applied to his own daughter at certain points in her life, but she loved him nonetheless. He was the only family she had left and she knew he loved her in his own way, even if he didn't always show it.

Which was why Alexis was so shocked when his arms enveloped her, embracing her in a loving hug that was rare for the Ribbon household. Alexis returned the gesture, ignoring the heartache tearing into her chest at that moment.

"I love you so much," Roman muttered to his daughter as he stroked her head like he did when she was a little girl. "No matter what happens."

"Don't worry so much," Alexis reassured as she pulled away, surprised to find tears built up in her father's eyes. "Today's no different than any other reaping before."

Alexis felt distaste at the lies coming out of her mouth but shoved it down before it showed on her face. Roman nodded at his daughter, knowing she was right but it didn't stop the nagging feeling at the back of his mind.

A knock on the door interrupted the pair as one of the staff peaked her head into the room with a sheepish look, feeling nervous for intruding on the father-daughter duo. 

"Sorry to interrupt, sir," the woman apologized. "But they need you down at the square for some last-minute preparations."

Roman nodded as he turned to his daughter with an apologetic look. 

"I'll see you later," Alexis shrugged off as if it was nothing, but it was enough to convince her father as he smiled sadly at her before leaving to finish his duties as mayor. 

Alexis sighed as the door shut behind him and stared down at the plate of food before her. Knowing she should eat something if she didn't want to face Rael's wrath, she shoved the rest of the toast in her mouth. 

A knock at the front door brought glee to Alexis as she quickly wiped the crumbs from her face and scurried towards the front of the house. Opening the door, she came face to face with Rael and Maisie. 

Without wasting a breath her arms were wrapped around Rael, giving him a tight hug as he returned the gesture. The hug gave Alexis comfort as she felt her worries fading away as all she focused on was the warmth and love that Rael's hugs always made her feel. After a few moments, Alexis stepped away, ignoring the way she felt the doubts and fear creep back in as she looked over at Maisie who stood meekly next to her brother. 

"How are you feeling, Maisie?" Alexis asked the small girl, who looked quite pale that sunny morning. 

The twelve-year-old shrugged her shoulders and Alexis nodded in understanding. She remembered her own first reaping, the way her hands shook in pure fear and nausea that caused her to throw up several times. 

"Well, you have nothing to worry about," Alexis reassured as she knelt down and fixed her half-tucked shirt. "When all of this is done and over with we can go grab some ice cream down at Old Ula's place, how does that sound?"

"That sounds good," Maisie cracked a half-smile that Alexis returned full-heartedly. Ice cream was a rare and expensive treat, especially for someone as lower class as Maisie so it was no surprise that it could slightly cheer up the terrified girl.

"Great," Alexis was relieved she could bring some comfort to the younger girl as she stood back up, grabbing Rael's hand as they made their way down to the square in silence. 

After a few minutes, the check-in line came into sight, causing Alexis' stomach to churn and she felt the urge to throw up. Rael must have sensed her hesitation as he slightly slowed down with a concerned look on his face as he watched the color drain from her face. 

Taking a deep breath, Alexis shook her head at him as she gestured at Maisie who had also gone pale at the sight of the line. Alexis had to be strong for Maisie and Rael seemed to understand as he released her hand and reached out to grab Maisie's instead, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

The trio shuffled through the line quickly, Alexis wincing as her finger was pricked and blood stamped on paper. 

"Next," the peacekeeper waved her aside, Alexis following her hand motion to where Rael was waiting for her, Maisie already in the distance as she joined the other twelve-year-olds. 

Rael grabbed Alexis' hands as he pulled her off to the side, feeling the way her dainty hands shook in his. 

"What's wrong?" Rael asked as he stared at her fearful eyes that were trained solely on the ground. It wasn't the first time he saw Alexis panicking before a reaping, but she had never been this bad.

"I just feel like something bad is going to happen," Alexis confessed to Rael, allowing the words she had been thinking all morning to leave her lips. 

"Hey, look at me," Rael told her softly, his hand reaching up and moving her head so she was staring him in the eyes. "Everything is going to be alright. I promise."

I promise.

The words rang in Alexis' head as she remembered the last time someone made that promise to her. 

"Okay," Alexis ignored her thoughts as she nodded her head, trying to convince herself that everything was going to be okay.

"Yeah?" Rael questioned in concern as she nodded her head again, more surely this time. "Okay, let's head up there then, okay?"

Alexis didn't respond as she allowed Rael to lead them up to the front of the rows where all the other eighteen-year-olds waited just as fearful as them. Rael gave Alexis one last reassuring squeeze, bringing his lips up to press a chaste kiss to her knuckles before dropping it and heading to the boys' section while Alexis made her way to the girls' section.

Everything will be okay, Alexis told herself, taking a reassuring breath as she planted herself next to the other girls around her, all praying their name wouldn't be plucked from the masses that morning. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192K 6K 38
𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐀𝐫𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐲𝐤𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐮𝐩 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐧 𝐮𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐩 𝐨𝐟 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬, 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭�...
9.2K 178 29
ೃ༄ 𝐊𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐏𝐒𝐈𝐀 🔱🌊˚◞♡ ﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌ * ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ☁️ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐲, training the kids from your district, as a...
45.6K 807 25
Two district 4 citizens trying to survive in Panem as victors with an unspoken love dwindling between them. She tries her best to not let her love fo...
382K 10.6K 24
//𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙠 𝙤𝙙𝙖𝙞𝙧 𝙭 𝙤𝙘 // ❝ 𝙇𝙮𝙣𝙭 𝙈𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙚𝙧 - 𝘋𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘵 5'𝘴 '𝘓𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘚𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬' - 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘵𝘰�...