The Wishing Well

By mariellahunt

Careful what you wish for... Wishes can come true. They always do at this wishing well. But in what form are... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
DISSONANCE - Chapter 1

Chapter 12

346 25 2
By mariellahunt

The world was crumbling. Where the day had been so much better earlier, she had felt just a little bit of hope in herself, now all of that was gone and the only thing she felt was misery. The sun had set along with her spirits, and now all Olivia had left were the tears that she could no longer hold back. She was so tired of crying, but that didn't make a difference—it was all she could do. Cry.

How come when she tried to stop crying and take action, everything just went wrong? It wasn't fair, but she could expect nothing different for herself. There was nothing she could do well but cry. Since leaving home, she was a miserable wreck with no achievements and nothing on her shoulders but sadness.

Ian was here, though. He didn't leave. For whatever reason, he didn't seem willing to give up on her and go—even though she had a chance to make things right again but ruined it. He held her close and let her sob brokenly into his shoulder, dampening his shirt like the miserable failure she was. For a long time he said nothing, as if giving her the chance to let go of the conflict within and feel some relief. But even when her sobs quieted, tears kept leaking from her eyes.

Instead of letting her go, he held her tighter and whispered, “You did as well as you could have.”

She shook her head. I can't do anything right.

Instead of speaking by thought, he used actual words, perhaps because they were more powerful that way. “Don't hate yourself.”

She didn't reply at all, but continued to tremble like a child.

“Don't cry, Olivia,” he continued softly. “It was a last moment wish. Don't cry.”

Olivia didn't want to cry anymore, but she couldn't seem to piece herself together again after her latest and greatest failure. She had done all that talking for George to let her have the wish, but in the end she couldn't solve the problem. Deep in her heart, she knew that it would only become worse. A problem like this needed a specific wish to get better, and that was something she just couldn't do. Maybe George should have done it after all—he wasn't strong, but he was stronger than her. Why did he give her that wish? He only let her ruin things more!

Neither of them spoke now. There was no point in it because Ian couldn't convince her, and she couldn't make him see that she failed. They listened to the chaos outside the window. People were angry, their voices rising as they argued over who had taken the good wish and what they used it on. Somebody kept repeating the words Waste of time! And then, there was Shanna's voice, soft but so unnerving. She did sound like she owned the well. It didn't sound like she was upset or even surprised at all by what had happened.

Olivia felt her curiosity roused a little, but remembered that she'd ruined everything; if there was a mystery in here at all to solve, it wasn't worth letting her try it. She would just ruin things further. She shut her eyes, letting the thought pass. There was no chance.

Somebody knocked at the door, making her jump. Ian kissed her hair and eased her onto the couch, where she hid her face in a pillow, as if it might possibly hide her from whoever it was at the door. At least it would hide her red, tear-stained face. She glanced up a little, watching as he grabbed what looked like a baseball bat before opening the door.

Olivia recognized Tess's voice, frantic and scared. “The—a forest—around the neighborhood—no way out—”

“Wait,” Ian interrupted, though Olivia had a feeling she already understood everything. He just didn't want to face that more had gone wrong. Because of me, she thought dully. “Breathe. Then tell me.” He stepped aside to admit her.

Tess stumbled inside the house and dropped into one of the armchairs, trembling. Olivia tried to rise and greet her, but barely moved. She knew something else had gone wrong, and frankly was not surprised.

“I went for a walk,” she began at last, hugging herself tightly with trembling arms. “Everything was so stressful. I needed to get away from the—things, the creatures, whatever they are! But when I turned the street that would have led to town, I...couldn't find it. It's hidden, Olivia.”

Olivia jumped a little at actually being addressed directly. Was she being blamed? But one glance at the girl's face told her this was not the case. Tess was too scared for that.

“There's a forest there that just...grew...and everything that was there is gone...I don't know where it came from, but I know the well had something to do with it! The wish you made! Olivia, my family is out there! They can't get back in!” She was sobbing now. “I know because I tried to walk through it and something—something happened and all the trees formed a wall—just everything's wrong—” Now her voice failed, and she gave up, hiding her face in her hands.

Olivia sat up and tried to breathe steady. She wasn't ready to speak to anyone, to have the responsibility over anything again because she knew it would be a disaster. But she couldn't keep quiet, either. “You're serious, Tess?” she stuttered at last, feeling her whole body go cold. “Please don't be joking with me...”

I wouldn't joke about something like this!” she practically screamed.

Olivia glanced at Ian, alarmed. Even though she didn't really want to leave the house, couldn't try, didn't know what to do—she couldn't leave things like this, either. At least she ought to face the aftermath of the mistake she made. We have to go take a look.

Ian didn't argue, but helped her back up. “We're going to go see. Do you want to come?”

Tess shook her head. “No. I don't want to see it again...not yet.”

Olivia exhaled slowly, trying to remember how to walk. Finally she nodded, in a manner that she hoped was understanding and not simply resigned. “Stay here. We won't be long—I hope.” Those last two words slipped out, and she immediately wanted to take them back. But she had managed an artificial calm that might shatter the moment she saw what Tess was talking about. Olivia pulled herself together and stumbled outside with Ian, staying close by him. For all she knew, people would start a mob against her for taking their good wish.

Olivia squinted through the houses, past a unicorn, and refused to look directly at it. There was no space to see in between those houses. They hurried down the sidewalk, heading in the direction of the bakery. She realized early that the bakery could not be seen, but wanted to believe it a mirage.

“It was her!” Olivia heard someone call. “She took the wish!” Ian took her arm, and they sped up.

As much as Olivia hoped she was hallucinating, there was no denying it. When they reached what should have led out into the street, instead they came to what was undeniably the edge of a thick forest. It was bad enough with the garden statues and the fairy, but those only came out at night, for the most part. Here, there was a massive, thick forest—out in broad daylight, and they obviously weren't going to disappear with the sunrise.

Olivia’s legs felt weak, so she stopped, feeling something inside her wither up...again. It wasn't enough anymore to focus on breathing. This was scarier than anything else she witnessed since the move here, especially since she knew it was her fault. “Where did it come from?” she whispered at last. It was her final defense to try and seem naïve, even though Ian was the last person she would fool. It was worth trying to fool herself for just a little while longer.

Ian did not reply. Instead, he took a hesitant step forward, as if attempting to go into the forest. As soon as he was within a foot of it the trees all seemed to bow to the left or right, interlocking to create a wall that nobody would dare to climb. The trees were alive. They came out of nowhere, they were alive, and all the houses and buildings behind them seemed to have vanished. She had never seen something so insane in her life.

What was she going to do?

“My mom is out there,” Olivia choked. “She won't be able to come back home if this forest doesn't go...” Not that she would believe in this, even if she did see it, she added a little bitterly. “But it isn't going anywhere until I figure out what's going on...until...until I solve my mystery...the mystery...” The mystery I made worse.

“You need to relax,” Ian said, but he held her tightly while she tried not to faint. Olivia shut her eyes and hugged back, unable to breathe. She knew it was up to her; nobody had said it, but she could feel it. A nagging voice deep in her soul whispered that it was her responsibility to save everybody in this little community that she never even liked. This was only the beginning, and she didn't want to imagine what was worse than a random forest appearing out of nowhere, a barrier from the outside world.

It was coming, though. It was coming.

“We're going to solve it,” Ian kept whispering, as she crumbled under all the weight that was suddenly placed on her shoulders. “We will, hon, don't worry.”

Olivia wasn't that confident in herself. She took deep breaths, unable to look at the forest. It was intimidating, a big bully, making fun of her. How could this weak girl ever fix anything? It knew she would probably fail.

She used the good wish, but phrased it in a way that it did not help at all. It could be years before someone else took the tragic wish.

Why me? she thought as before passing out. Why?

Olivia didn’t know how long she was unconscious, but it was still dark when she came around. “The schoolhouse,” she rasped, letting Ian help her up. “I have to get to the schoolhouse.” She didn't even know why, but the idea had struck her—if there was any place she could find answers, it was there.

More people had emerged from their houses, as word spread of the strange new forest. The cage that kept them trapped on this street, and their families out. By some wild chance, it was only the teenagers who were still here, since the parents had gone to work. None of them were happy, either. Olivia didn't know what scared them more—life without their parents, or the wall keeping them prisoner.

Most of them didn't spare Olivia or Ian a second glance as they hurried down the sidewalk in the direction of the schoolhouse. They were getting together in the middle of the street to panic, gossip, and speculate what might be going on. One girl kept trying to call her mother’s cell phone, but there was no connection. They were completely separated from the world beyond.

Some suggested a stupid teenager made a wish in the well, but it was granted the tragical way. They dared the person guilty of this to step out and confess. In return, many accused Olivia. She walked right past them, numb to their words.

Others thought it was God.

Others thought it was a dream.

Some didn't care.

Most people who were still around didn't look at them twice, except Averil.

“Olivia!” she called breathlessly, chasing after them. They turned to her, and Olivia began to wonder if there was any way they could convince her to leave. But Olivia realized they couldn't ditch her this time. She might have to come with, because knowing Averil, she would be too stubborn to just let them go in alone.

Maybe she was a real friend after all. It was time to find out.

“I know,” Averil gasped, bending over a little to catch her breath. “I know what you're do—doing, and I want to come with you.”

Olivia blinked. “What am I doing?”

“You're going to the second floor. You know what's up there, and I want to go too. I want to find out. I'm not leaving.”

Am I? Olivia thought. This wasn't really her plan when they set off here. She just wanted to see the painting and try to make out what was covered in shadow. But suddenly she realized what a good idea that was.

“Tess has the key to the second floor at her house,” Averil gasped, leaning on Olivia for support. “I told her and she's coming. We're on your side, Via, we're going to help you!”

Olivia considered arguing for a moment, then gave up. She knew her, and she needed more people on her side.

I guess we're going to the second floor, she told Ian quietly.

He squeezed her shoulder gently in agreement.

“Okay,” she replied at last, voice was still very hoarse from the shock earlier. “You can come.”

“I wasn't asking permission,” Averil retorted, clutching a stitch at her side. “But thank you.”

Olivia couldn't think of anything to say, so she just smiled.

Tess finally reached them. She was somehow still alive, and Olivia stared at her for a moment, looking for signs she might be a zombie. She took the tragic wish, after all. How long would the well make her wait for her fate? But she was pale, and it was best not to bring it up with her.

Olivia decided not to ask her why she was not dead yet.

They headed inside the community storage building, and her hands trembled. They were a group of four. This should make her feel safer, but it didn't. Even though she was supposedly the leader, Olivia couldn't be the first one to start heading up there. Tess had mercy and took her place. She used a flashlight keychain, holding the beam to the knob as she unlocked the door.

Olivia heard the door creak loudly as it swung open, and took deep breaths. She had to at least sound confident, though she wasn't. It was dark and musty in there, no different from last time. Both Tess and Ian also had flashlights. Olivia squinted to see in the dim light they produced.

She realized Averil and Tess were staring at her.

“I don't know what's going on here,” Averil told her quietly, eyes suspicious. “But you sure do.”

Olivia smiled sadly. “I don't. And if it were for you people, I wouldn't know anything. About the well. About this place. About anything. You hid it from me, Averil.”

Averil swallowed hard, defeated. She could not deny these words. She nodded slowly, trembling. “Well...if you need me, let me know.” She was trying hard not to cry, and resorting to false confidence instead.

“Me too,” Tess choked.

Olivia smiled at the both of them. “Ironic, because I really am going to need you two. Who's up for a round of searching the house? I need journals, or any kind of historical document about the well.”

Just as she said those words, she took a step forward and stumbled on something. Slowly, she knelt down and picked it up. It was a very thin and worn-out notebook. Left there on the ground, as if it had been dropped by someone in a panic to get out. “Has anyone been here before us?” she asked curiously, leafing through the old and crunchy pages, and wondering what could have scared them off so.

“No,” Tess replied quietly. “My family has all the keys to this building. Nobody’s been in here for a long time. I’m talking over ten years.”

“Are you sure?”

Tess frowned. “I would have to ask my dad to make sure…but he’s not here.” She managed a sad smile.

Olivia opened the notebook, shining one of the flashlights on its worn pages. On the first page someone had written, in elaborate old-style handwriting, The Casaway Book of Wishes. “It’s a rulebook,” she announced, sifting through the pages with interest. “Like a Bible for the religion that they built around that well. And there’s different handwriting in it, too—more than one person wrote in here.”

She saw different things on the pages. There were sketches and names, and records of wishes. For the first two decades, someone had kept perfect track of all the wishes made, and what happened to the people who made them. The log stopped on March of 1952, on a tragic wish.

The outcome of this tragic wish was The Dogar family have left. Winterland waits for a ruler once more. Olivia stared at these words in shock.

The Dogar family have left. She remembered the well speaking to her—Welcome back, Dogar.

“Do you know anything about Winterland?” she whispered to Ian, still unable to tear her gaze from those handwritten words.

“I see you didn’t need me to find it out.”

It was a different voice. Olivia snapped out of her shocked silence, whirling around to see Shanna.

The girl stood quietly at the door, gazing at them with calm. “It’s about time. I have a ton of documents on you printed out, Olivia, but it seems we don’t need them anymore. We’ve been waiting for balance to return for a long time.” She smiled wryly. “But for some reason, your presence only made the creatures restless. Are you sure your mom isn’t hiding anything?”

“Even if she was, I can’t get to her to ask about it,” Olivia retorted. “What are you doing here?”

“You shouldn’t be up here.” Tess’s voice was quiet. “My family owns this floor. We have the keys to it.”

“Well, you’ll be disappointed to know that I also have a key to the place. My mom passed it down to me.” Shanna smirked. “I’m sure you don’t even know what this place is, right? Or what that book is?”

“I don’t care what this place is,” Olivia shot back quietly, though her voice had a taste of uncertainty in it.

“I’m not buying it. Do you want me to tell you or not?” Her voice sounded anxious, as if she had waited forever to tell this tale to somebody.

“No,” Averil snapped, speaking up for the first time. “We don’t need to know anything from you, Shanna. Go mind your own business.”

“Ah, but it is my business. My wishing well, my business.”

Olivia remembered Ian’s words a few days back. Shanna’s family did technically own the wishing well…so it technically was her business…

“Go creep out some other kids on the street, Shanna,” Averil snapped, and the anger in her voice was heavy. “We’re not interested.”

Shanna didn’t look angry at the rudeness of this response. She shrugged. “Okay. But I’ll warn you two, you won’t be such good friends in a little while. Summerland, Winterland.” She laughed sharply. “Olivia, I’ll leave the papers I printed out in your mailbox. I won’t have wasted my time on them.”

She didn’t leave immediately, but studied each of them closely for a second. Then she laughed and left without another word.

Olivia leaned out the door, watching until the redhead had vanished out of the building. “Let’s go. This book ought to help us.” She wasn’t really sure about this, though; she did know that this room was too dark. She didn’t want to be here any longer.

 They bolted out the door. Her friends stumbled down the stairs after her, as they tripped down the sidewalk in the direction of Olivia’s house. On the way in, she opened her mailbox and snatched out a stack of paper, hiding them in the old notebook before following her friends inside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58 18 17
This story is about an 18 yr old girl who feel lost and broken. She had once felt complete when she was with her cousin and her friends. Then at the...
4.9K 259 42
"Don't go inside! Stay!" She said, holding her hand up to show me her palm and then I leaned over the balcony, resting my forearms on the railing to...
2.7K 418 27
Ariella's biggest desire in life has always been such a simple one. She wants to be 'normal.' Unfortunately, that one simple wish has never been with...
1.9K 55 14
One wish is enough to change a person's life. Forever. Being bullied everyday, Rose finally had enough on her fifteenth birthday and made a wish - a...