Daggers and Daffodils

By LockPickCommposer

'Imagine if you were hiccups twin (yes I know, not that original, but stay with me) thanks to a certain nigh... More

Dragon Raid
Mark
New Friends
New Arrivals
Welcome to Berk
The Proposition
Turning Tides
Downed Dragon
Dragon Training
The Lonely Dragon
He Returns
Happy Hunting
Airborne
Mixed Signals
Cat and Mouse
Bad Luck
Betrayal
Just Perfect
Sooner or Later
Patchy Faced Rat
You Little Brat
Couple's Quarrel
New Flyer
Family Feud
Not as Planned
Two Sides Same Coin
Update- will delete later

All Goes to Hell

745 30 18
By LockPickCommposer

Hi guys, just my chapterly; Hope you enjoy the chapter

I also wanted to say sorry for the slow pace of the last two chapters, as well as the late release of this one; I was going to have it done by Monday, but of course on the first day back to school I got 3 assignments, so as an apology, this chapters gonna be extra-long, like nearly 4000 words.

After this will be the final battle, then the chapter you get your second (First flyable dragon), the latter which will have a little Dagur near its end. Then the Romance shall begin. In the form of a time skip to riders of berk, (So a few months)

-Clover/Peachmilkbard

Hiccup POV (Ah my old foe...First person)

Things have been getting a lot better for me. Y/N new about toothless and didn't judge me for it, Thor, she even wanted in! The newest tail prototype had been a success. Me and toothless had been able to stay in the air past our previous record. I would have to take Y/N flying one of these days, there was something so... Free, about flying. Outside of that, the knowledge about dragons I had learned from toothless was coming in handy. I was growing popularity, which was new to me. 

On the downside I'm pretty sure Astrid is on to me. She doesn't buy that my newfound dragon skills were from practice. "Hey, Y/N" I called into her room. She was sitting on her bed staring blankly at her childhood dagger. "Hmm!?" she was caught off guard, resituating herself when she realized I was at her door. 

"Are you ok?" She looked away from me. "Hiccup, if everything we know about dragons isn't true. An- and if I killed-" she trailed off eyed narrowing, and skin turning pale like she was going to be sick. "Hey, it's ok" I said sitting next to her on the bed, "You did what you had to. We were just kids". 

With a sigh she shifted and rested her head on my shoulder. "What did you need to tell me?". "Never mind", We could talk about it later.

Narrator POV

You and Hiccup were with toothless by the lake. "I heard Gobber talking earlier" Hiccup said while toothless chased the refracted light from your shield. "Yeah?".

"Tomorrow's class is on the terrible terror" you paused your shields movements. You had been through worse, chased by Natters, nearly crushed by Gronkles. Hell, thanks to toothless you were able to make giant leaps towards no longer having your panic attacks when you saw dragons. But there was something about that small little creature that made you feel like a seven-year-old child trapped in an alley all over again. "I'll be fine" you continued to move your shield and play with toothless until Hiccup stood. 

"Hey, can I show you something?" you nodded. Lifting yourself to your feet you followed Hiccup over to toothless. You were taken back when you watched him attach a saddle to him and hoist himself up, holding a hand, out to you.

"Woah woah woah! You've been riding him?! Is that even safe?". "It'll be fine, we've done it tons of times" reluctantly you took Hiccups hand and sat behind him. You gripped Hiccup tightly as you lifted off into the air, closing your eyes shut.

 Eventually felt toothless evened out. You were just above the clouds, which were painted gold and orange from the setting sun. "It's beautiful, Hiccup" you held out an arm to brush against a cloud, making it wet. Looking forward you could see toothless had turned his head to look back at you, like he was showing off.

Toothless lowered you below the clouds and you could see you were landing on a different place on the island. Upon, landing you had a perfect view of the sunset. The moment you and Hiccup had jumped off, toothless launched himself into the ocean chasing a fish. You gushed to Hiccup about how amazing it was as he walked towards a pile of rocks.

Hiccup pulled a basket that was hidden. "Aw, dang it! They must have found it" he dropped the basket to reveal a number of fish bones. "Who?".

Hiccup signaled for you to sit down. "I came here not too long ago with toothless. It was our first successful fly" you raised an eyebrow for him to go on. "This is where Berk's terrors rest" you flinched whipping your head around. Realizing how stupid you must have looked you stopped. You were startled by the sound off rustling behind you. You turned to see small bright green tail peeking out of Hiccups basket. 

Toothless had returned from his swim with a number of fish. Hiccup pressed one into your hand, "give it to him". 

"Ok" your voice squeaked near the end, and you felt your face heat in embarrassment. Holding the fish out, the terror popped its head out of the basket, sniffing twice before crawling towards you. Frozen, you couldn't breathe as the terror swiped the fish out of your hand, scarfing it down in a matter of bites. It let out a satisfied chirp and curled up against you. 

Hiccup smiled as he watched you relax and ever so cautiously pet the terror. "See, not so bad" he said patting you on the back. Then gaging as toothless dropped a half-eaten fish into his lap, "Uh, no thanks bud. I ate already". "Gross" you laughed at him, stopping when he dropped a similarly half eaten fish on you as well. 

Training the next day had gone exceedingly well. It started with Tuff making fun of the small green terror before howling in pain as it launched at his face. You dropped a small piece of fish on the floor, making it release Tuff's face. Then Hiccup used his shield to trick it into following the refraction back into the cage.  With only one last day of training before they decided who was the best recruit, who would kill their first dragon in the ring, you and Hiccup were starting to get tense. You had seen from the way she watched the matches Gothi was leaning towards Hiccup or Astrid, not that you blamed her or them. You just didn't have the drive they did. Astrid was fueled by a want to prove herself. Hiccup strove to be someone 'worthy' in your fathers' eyes. Meanwhile, you were just waiting for this all to be over.

You were leaving the house to bring dinner for Hiccup in the forge when you bumped into your father, "Dad! You're back". "Y/N" he seemed unusually happy. "Did you know about this?" your mind briefly panicked at the idea of him knowing your and Hiccups secret before taking into account your father's smile. You shook your head "To think, all this time he was holding out on us. Finally!" you laughed nervously alongside him as he rejoiced. "Weeeell, tomorrows a big day, so I better get going with this food. Night dad!" you said walking passed him. His smile disappeared as he watched you leave. That was twice in one night his children didn't want to talk to him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You blocked a blast of magma with your shield before ducking behind a cover. Snotlout, Fishlegs, and the twins had been disqualified after losing their shields leaving only you, Hiccup, and Astrid. "Stay out of my way. I'm winning this thing" Astrid said to Hiccup seething, before jumping to another wooden cover to charge at the Gronkle from a new angle. Only to see the Gronkle fall at the hands of Hiccup. Astrid threw her axe on the ground cursing as the crowd cheered. 

"Wait!" Your father called as Hiccup tried to speed walk past Gobber, "Um, I'm kinda... late-" he said before Astrid pressed her axe against his throat, "Late for what exactly?". "The elder has decided" your father said, Gobber lining the three of you up. 

Gobber hovered his hand over you, earning a shake from Gothi's head and murmurs from the crowd. Astrid followed after you, earning a similar reaction from Gothi and a gasp from the crowd. Gobber raised an eyebrow as he raised his hand over Hiccup. She nodded her head and cheers erupted from the arena. People pooled into the arena, Fishlegs lifting Hiccup onto his shoulders, "AH, yes. I'm so excited. I'm soooo-".

(Area/ small time skip that matches the movie)

"Leaving?" You had followed Hiccup who was carrying a basket of fish into the woods. "Yup, me and toothless. We're leaving. Let's pack up. Me and you are taking a little vacation" he answered before calling toothless to leave. You sighed at your brother's theatrics before you heard the sound of sharpening metal. You turned towards the sound to see Astrid sitting on a rock sharpening her axe. "Astrid!" Hiccup turned at the sound of your scream. "A-Astrid! What are you doing here?" she dropped her sharpening stone and jumped down from the rock. "I wanna know what's goin on" she pressed pushing at Hiccups chest. If it weren't for your erratic heartbeat and fear of being caught you would be laughing at Hiccup obnoxiously for the tint of red spreading across his face.

"And you!" she turned, and you flinched, "I thought we were friends" guilt washed over you as you struggled to keep eye contact. "Start talking" she continued, walking closer to Hiccup, causing him to stumble backwards, lying terribly and stammering at Astrids accuse. 

"You were trying to come up with a possible alibi when you saw an alarmed toothless emerge from his cave" Hiccup knocked the axe out of Astrids hand, just in time, while you stopped toothless from charging at her. "Woah, easy buddy. It's ok, she's a friend" you soothed, holding your hand out to him. "It's alright" Hiccup told Astrid, "You just scared him-" "I scared HIM? Who is him?". 

"Astrid, Toothless. Toothless, Astrid" toothless let out a snarl, after a moment Astrid /glared at you with a shake of her head, before taking off. "Duh duh daaa~ We're dead" toothless suddenly stood on his hind legs and walked away, 'since when could he do that?'. Hiccup rapidly strapped himself onto toothless, "We're going to go get her and... I don't know. You're gonna be ok getting back home?". "Yeah. When you bring her back, let's all meet at the cliffs" he nodded. 

You paced to the sound of crashing waves, the sun had set hours ago, but Hiccup and Astrid had yet to return. The sound of Astrid's voice alerted you to their return, something about a beehive. "So?" you asked.

"We found it! The nest!" Hiccup let out. "It all makes sense. The dragons are like bee's, feeding their queen" Astrid continued. "We need to tell the chief", there was very little you understood about what they said but telling your father did not sound like it would end well. "No! No" Hiccup said, "They'll kill toothless. Astrid, we have to think this through carefully". Astrid countered him, bringing up how 'the nest' was what our forefathers had been searching for, for generations. For the first time ever, Hiccup stood his ground, straightening out with a stern face. And both you and Astrid were taken aback. "Ok" Astrid said, softening, "Then what do we do?".

"I don't know" Astrid nodded before punching him in the side with one fist, and punching you with the other, "Ow!" you both said in sync. "That's for lying and kidnapping me" Hiccup looked to toothless who shared a look, before you saw a small pink tint paint Astrids face. Suddenly in one swift movement leaned in and placed a small kiss to Hiccup's cheek, "Thats for everything else". You let out a small squeal-like gasp, earning a glare from Astrid. 

She was about to walk past you when she stopped, "...We're cool" she gave you a small smile, and you were flooded with relief for your still in contact friendship. You looked to your brother who was frozen, face a familiar pink. "Ok, now that that's all said in done, WTF HAPPENED?!". Hiccup explained to you how he and Astrid had found the dragon's nest, and the large queen-bee dragon. 

"Are you nervous" Hiccup nodded, tomorrow he would have to kill the dragon, he nodded. "What are you going to do?" he scrunched his face in thought before putting on a nervous smirk, "Probably something stupid". You pulled him into a hug, "Just promise me you'll be safe" he hugged you back but remained silent. 

Hiccup POV (...I will never escape this hell)

I stood in the small hallway into the arena while my dad addressed the crowd. "Be careful with that dragon" Astrid said, "It's not the dragon that I'm worried about". "What are you going to do?" she asked me. "Put an end to this. I have to try", if there is even a chance anyone would understand, I had to. I knew Y/N was going to be angry at what I was about to do and how reckless it was. Dad had told her to stand next to him for the 'event', so all she could give me was a brief hug and good luck earlier in the morning. 

"Astrid, if something goes wrong, just make sure they don't find toothless, and keep Y/N safe". "I will, just promise me it won't go wrong" Y/N had asked me to promise something similar the night before, before I say anything Gobber had told me it as time.

The gate closed behind me as I walked towards the rack of weapons. I grabbed a shield and dagger, "I'm ready". The cheers had stopped as the cage was unlocked. 'Pleeeease let this end well'. 

The nightmare broke through the cage ablaze, crawling on the chain roof, trying to blast a group outside before narrowing its attention on me and crawling back onto the ground.

I dropped my dagger and shield on the ground earning gasps and questioning from the crowd. "It's ok" I took the helmet off my head, staring for a moment before throwing it aside, "I'm not one of them". The dragon itself seemed taken aback, inching closer to my outstretched hand. "Stop the fight" "No, I need you all to see this. They're not what we think they are. We don't have to kill them" the dragon was an inch away from the tips of my finger when dad roared "I said stop the fight!" crashing his hammer into the cage. 

I jumped away as the nightmare launched at me, "Dad No!" I heard Y/N yell at him as I narrowly dodged a blast of fire. Astrid had entered the arena to help, throwing a hammer at the nightmare when it got too close, causing it to chase her instead. 

"Hiccup! Astrid! Over here!" Y/N and dad were at the now opened gate. Astrid ran, falling into Y/N's arm out of breath. I was about to reach them when a blast of fire sent me reeling backwards. "Hiccup!" Astrid and Y/N called in unison. "Agh!" the dragon was now on top of me when suddenly something blasted the arena, filling it with smoke. Suddenly the Monstrous Nightmare was torn off of me, revealing that toothless had broken into the arena. I watched nightmare pin down toothless momentarily before being thrown off of him. Toothless stood between me and the other dragon like a barricade letting out a loud cry that sent it crawling back to its cage.  

'If he stays here any longer, they'll kill him!' I ran up to toothless trying to push him to leave, "Alright toothless get out of here". Viking were beginning to pour into the arena weapons in hand. I looked over to see Y/N trying to stop dad from coming over, "GO GO! No dad, he won't hurt you!". He pushed past Y/N who followed him closely still telling him to stop.  A few Vikings tried to launch themselves at toothless only to be knocked away. 

I screamed for everyone to stop as, in defense, toothless pinned down my dad. Toothless was charging his blast only stopping the second time I called him to stop. The other Vikings in the arena used this opening to push toothless off of dad, pinning his to the floor. "Oh no, please! Just don't hurt him!" I ran to intervene, but Astrid held me back. 

I stopped my calls not to hurt him when dad turned to me with the most terrifying glare I'd ever seen. He grabbed me by my arm and began to pull towards the great hall. "Dad!? Dad, what are you doing?" Y/N asked, she spent her time following us to the hall asking dad to calm down and looking back at toothless. 

Dad threw me into the hall when we reached the hall slamming the door shut, only to be quietly opened as Y/N slipped through. "I should have known. I should have seen the signs" I called to him, but he interrupted me, "We had a deal!". 

"So, everything in the ring, a trick, a lie?" I stammered "I screwed up. I-I should have told you before now. Take this out on me. Be mad at me. But please, just don't hurt toothless". Dad turned sharply and in the corner of my eye I could see Y/N getting ready to intervene. "The dragon? Thats what you're worried about?! Not the people you almost killed?!". "He was protecting me! He-e's not dangerous".

"They've killed HUNDREDS of us!" "And we've killed thousands of them! They defend themselves, that's all. They raid us because they have to" Y/N suddenly started shaking her head at me rapidly, "If they don't bring enough food back, they'll be eaten themselves. There's something else on their island, dad" he stopped his pacing. "Their island?! So, you've been to the nest. How did you find it?!" this wasn't going the way I wanted it to. He started to press into me as he walked closer, causing me to stumble back, "I-I didn't. Toothless did, only a dragon can find the island" he paused, before beginning to walk away, 'He's going to use toothless to find the nest!'. 

I walked in front of him trying to convince him that he didn't know what he was up against. I grabbed his arm only to be thrown off and pushed to the ground. "Thats enough!" Y/N was at my side in an instant, "Stop it dad, he's trying to help". "HELP?! Do you realize how many lives he put at stake today? After all he did, the lies, tricks, the DRAGON?! You would still stand beside him?!" they challenged each other staring unblinkingly, "Always". 

He tensed "You've thrown your lot in with them. You're not a Viking. You're not my son".

Narrator POV

When the door to the great hall shut you looked to your brother to see the most void and painful expression you'd ever seen. You tried to come up with something positive to say but decided to stay quiet. 

After a few minutes of sitting in silence Hiccup stood to leave the hall. You walked outside to see the ships setting off, Hiccup staring at your father while you stared in horror at the now chained up toothless. 

Hiccup continued to stare at the horizon even after the ships had left, "Hiccup?". "..." You had tried to snap Hiccup out of his daze and get him to respond to no avail, when Astrid walked to your side.

"It's a mess" she said, "You must feel horrible. You've lost everything, your father, your tribe, your best friend" you elbowed her in the side. "Thank you, for summing that up" Hiccup said, 'well I guess that's better than no response at all'. 

"Why couldn't I have killed that dragon when I first found him in the woods? Would've been better for everyone-" "YEP! The rest of us would've done it. So why didn't you?". 

"I don't know", "Thats not an answer" she pressed. "Why is this so important to you all of a sudden!?". She leaned in, "Because I want to remember what you say, right now". He began doing his Hiccup arm flail, "Oh, for the love of- I was a coward. I was weak. I wouldn't kill a dragon". 

"You said wouldn't, that time". "Oh, whatever. I wouldn't" his voice nearly cracked, "A hundred years and I'm the first Viking who wouldn't kill a dragon...". "First to ride one though. So?".

"I wouldn't kill him, because he looked as frightened as I was. I looked at him, and I saw myself". "I bet he's pretty frightened now. What are you going to do about it?". He looked around thinking, "Probably something stupid". "Good, but you've already done that", "Then something crazy", she smiled. "Thats more like it". 

You watched as he ran off, smiling that your brother was back in his right headspace. "I can hear the wedding vow nooow~" you teased in a singsong voice, earning a punch to the shoulder, "Come on!" she called as she ran after Hiccup.

Hiccup had led you back to the arena, as well as the other kids. They had refused at first when Hiccup asked, but with a shout from you and (mostly from) a glare from Astrid, they agreed. 

You stood in the arena as Hiccup coerced the Monstrous Nightmare from its cage. Snotlout was the first to touch the dragons, followed by Fishlegs, Astrid had already won the affection of the Natter while the rest of you were busy helping the twins, who had nearly spooked the zippleback into exploding the arena. While everyone else was fawning over their new dragons you couldn't help but feel a little alone. 

"Alright that's all the dragons" Hiccup said, "Oh. Never mind" you raised your brow at him as he stared at your feet. You turned to see the small green terror from training, lounge out and staring at you like a lost puppy. "Hello there little one" you bent down, only for it to scurry even closer sniffing you for food. "Sorry I don't have any more fish" you held out your hand, which it used to pet itself. "Ha! Y/N can't even ride it" Tuff laughed, and for the second time that week, the terron launched itself at him, latching onto his face, "Oh! I am hurt! I am very badly hurt".

"Hehe, looks like Hiccup isn't the only one who's dramatic"

Thanks for reading this chapter!

Next chapter should be out by 4/17/22

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.5K 1.3K 17
Y/n has always been Hiccup's best friend. She has also always calmed the dragons around her, yet no one knows why (yet). She is the "sister" of Astri...
459K 6.7K 41
A story about Hiccup and Astrid on Berk. They are now 21. Takes place after httyd 2. This is my first story ever so please don't hate. Sorry if I hav...
1.6K 23 5
Hiccup had won the honor of killing an agressive Monstrous Nightmare. Since, he wouldn't kill a dragon, his only option: To run away and leave Berk f...
13.1K 571 17
OneArtsyGamer03 here, lovelies Republishing of How to Protect Your Dragon <3 ... Ah, Berk. The perfect island where Vikings and dragons can live in p...