The Legacy - The Legacy Saga

By jewela

North Carolina native, Cisely Matthews has seen and suffered much in her twenty-two years of life, and she ha... More

The Legacy - Part 1
The Legacy - Part 2
The Legacy - Part 3
The Legacy - Part 4
The Legacy - Part 5
The Legacy - Part 6
The Legacy - Part 7
The Legacy - Part 8
The Legacy - Part 9
The Legacy - Part 10
The Legacy - Part 11
The Legacy - Part 12
The Legacy - Part 13
The Legacy - Part 14
The Legacy - Part 15
The Legacy - Part 16
The Legacy - Part 17
The Legacy - Part 18
The Legacy - Part 20
Legacy - Part 21
Legacy - Part 22
Legacy - Part 23
Legacy - Part 24
Legacy - Part 25
Legacy - Part 26
Legacy - Part 27
Legacy - Part 28
Legacy - Part 29

The Legacy - Part 19

23.7K 342 48
By jewela

  Eighty-two

After the boys are in bed asleep, we stand in the doorway of their room and gaze at our youngest son. We are grateful beyond words to have him back and I'm constantly sending up prayers of thanks for his return. I also thank God for helping us endure this whole ordeal. Never again will I hear of another child being kidnapped without feeling a deep sorrow for that child and his family.

Striving to be strong has taken more out of me than I realized. As I continue to watch Phillip sleep, a strong wave of emotion comes over me. I turn to Adagio as tears splash down my cheeks.

"It's all right, amore," he whispers, taking my shaking shoulders in his hands.

I manage to hold everything inside just long enough to make it to our bedroom. Then the flood of emotional grief that has filled me for so long comes forth. Adagio pulls me into his arms, sinking to the floor with me as I weep.

"Everything is all right," he whispers against my ear. "It's okay."

 * * * 

Adagio understands her tears and knows her feelings well because his are the same. They are grateful the ordeal is over, and they can now get on with their lives. But the pain will take time to fade. He is sure this time of letting go of their emotions is a good start. Leaning back against the bed, he cradles Cisely against his chest until her sob subside.

"I'm sorry," she finally says, her raspy, silky voice softly filling the silence. "Must be hormones."

Adagio presses a kiss to her brow. "Then what is my excuse? I am not pregnant and I don't get PMS often."

She chuckles and takes in his soaked shirt. "It seems like I'm always wetting your shirts these days."

"And like I told you years ago when Ingo died, I have many and you can cry on them all. I just want to be here for you."

"And you always have been. You helped me through one of the hardest times of my life."

"Even then, there was no other place I wanted to be than with you."

"I don't know what I would have done without you."

Smiling, he presses his forehead to hers. "You would never have had the chance to find out." He looks into her eyes. "I was supposed to be there for you, Cisely."

"I know," she says, touching his face. "Through all these years you have never let me down, and you've never failed in your devotion to me." She brushes a hand back through his hair.

"And I never will."

Snuggling closer, she buries her face in the curve of his neck, sighing deeply. "How can I be so happy and still feel so much pain? How can I feel so much love and gratitude and still have this ache?"

"I don't know, amore. I also wonder about those things because I feel the same."

After a few moments of silent contemplation, Cisely says, "I guess we just have to believe that the joy we feel now will slowly replace the rest of the hurt because it is stronger than the pain. I know we will never forget the pain, nor would I want to because it has been refining. And that refinement will only add to the joy we feel, making it that much greater later on. A little while ago I couldn't see that. But I do now."

"And because of your strength, I now see that too." Tears fill his eyes. "I'm so grateful for you."

"And I'm grateful for you." She touches her fingers to his lips before pulling his head down.

As Adagio becomes lost in her kiss, he feels his life can be no more perfect. His family is whole again, and the woman he loves with all his heart and soul again has his child growing inside her. Soon they will go back home to Italy, and he promises himself that he will always treasure each and every second of his life with his family, because that is how often the blessings come, each and every second.

Eighty-three

Treviso, Italy

Holding hands, Adagio and I gaze at one another as Sadie and Peter repeat their vows and are pronounced husband and wife. I have always considered the veranda the most romantic spot at our home, and it is the perfect place for my cousin's intimate ceremony.

Before we moved back to Italy, Sadie and I kept in touch with each other through phone calls every few days. Sadie told me about Peter Grant and their growing feelings for each other. Before long the two fell in love and became engaged. We invited them over for dinner, and as soon as we met Peter, we could tell he was a great guy. It was easy to see how much the two loved each other.

Velma was overjoyed to get to know her sister. Pete and Dona were also happy to meet the niece they never knew existed, and they welcome her to the family.

The day before we were to move, Sadie called me with some exciting news that would bring me even more joy. Peter had received a phone call from an old colleague whose wife was from Venice. They moved back to Venice last year to be near her family and he opened a medical practice a few miles outside of the city. He offered Peter a partnership, and after pondering long and hard about it, Peter and Sadie felt he should accept the offer. Peter's mother, Helen, would be moving with them as well. She and Sadie had become very close.

Sadie and I were ecstatic about the move, and Adagio and Peter were equally happy because they knew how close we had become. I insisted that they have the wedding at our home and the couple happily accepted. Peter told us about the home that came with the practice. They would only live thirty minutes away from us. And the thought of actually having family close brought me a joy I couldn't describe.

Velma was a little saddened to see Sadie move so far away after just developing a relationship with her, but she and Ted promised to visit, which meant we would get to see them again. Adagio surprised them with tickets to come to the wedding.

Adagio kisses my hand just as Sadie and Peter share their first kiss as husband and wife. The love radiating from them is so tangible you can feel it, and we know the feeling well. Finding the person who makes you whole is everything.

* * *

Cisely turns to Adagio and smiles, and he can see a peaceful glow radiating about her. She is so beautiful and he never tires of looking at her. Almost seven months along now in her pregnancy, she can't get around as well as she could with the other pregnancies because she is larger than usual. This is due to the fact that she was carrying twins.

They couldn't believe it when her midwife told them.  Cisely told Adagio that when she was younger, her father mentioned there were several sets of twins in his family, but she'd never had reason to think about it and had actually forgotten. Adagio never imagined they could be so blessed. It is a dream come true.

Eighty-four

After the festivities are over and everyone has gone, we relax on the veranda.

"It was a wonderful wedding," I say as Adagio takes my hand.

"It was. I can tell they will be very happy together."

"So can I. And it's truly amazing how many miracles we've been able to see this past while."

He smiles. "And to think, some people say miracles don't happen anymore."

"Well, if those people were to spend a little time with our family, they would know different." I ponder a moment on all the wondrous things we've witnessed, meeting Adagio's quiet gaze. He presses a kiss to my hand.

"I have always believed in miracles," he says. "I have seen too many to doubt them. And now I am married to one of those miracles." He leans over and kisses me, caressing my face softly. As he draws back, I take in his handsome face and flawless masculine features, still convinced that I'm married to the most beautiful and amazing man in the world, and I am the most blessed woman.

I yawn as the day's festivities catch up with me. Adagio stands, holding a hand out to me. "Come, amore. Let's get you to bed."

"You always take such good care of me."

"And I always will."

When I stand, he lifts me, cradling me against his chest. "You know, sometimes I feel like I'm married to Mr. Universe. I feel like I weigh a ton and you lift me without a grunt. You sure you're not hiding a body building title somewhere?"

He chuckles. "Hardly, angel. I just never pass up an opportunity to sweep you off your feet."

"You definitely do that," I agree as he carries me inside and up to our room. He places me on the bed, then he kneels and we pray.

"I will get the children settled for the night." He leaves to take care of the boys.

After changing into a gown, I slip beneath the covers and flip through a magazine, waiting for Adagio to return.

"You are supposed to be sleeping, amore," he says, entering the room. He begins to undress. "You need your rest."

"I know. But I wanted to talk to you about something."

"All right." He slides under the covers next to me and props his pillows up. "Now, tell me what is on your mind."

"Well, Phillip came to me a few days ago and asked me a question. His exact words were, "Are you and Papa still mad at Gladys?"

"Really?" Adagio says, surprised. "What did you tell him?"

"I told him no. I said that despite what she did, we had to forgive her. And do you know what he said?"

"No, amore." He touches my face. "Tell me."

"He said he was glad we weren't upset with her anymore because . . . because there is still good in her, and she only acted the way she did because . . . she had forgotten how to be good."

Adagio rubs his eyes. "I cannot believe it," he says, reverently.

"Don't you see, love. To have him come through such a terrible ordeal feeling this way–to have a child that loves so unconditionally is more than I could have ever hoped for. And just think of the strength he will bring to our family and his own when he's older. What a legacy of love we will have!"

"And to think that strength started with you and your willingness to forgive your father. Despite all the hurt and pain you endured, you forgave and never looked back." He smiles. "You will always be my inspiration." Lying down, he pulls me into his arms.

"I love you Adagio," I breathe, raising my lips to his.

"I love you, too, angel," he whispers against my mouth. "And thank you for sharing that with me," he adds before deepening the kiss.

"You're welcome." Resting my head against his chest, I snuggle against him and quickly drift off to the feel of his gentle fingers in my hair and his lips against my brow.

Eighty-five

Sitting on the veranda, Adagio and I cuddle our two month old babies and enjoy the beautiful sunset, while Ingo and Phillip play happily in the distance.

Phillip is doing well and thriving again. There will still be hidden emotional scars for a while, but he is young and will have a lot of time to heal.

I gaze down into the cherubic face of our little girl. After a month of strict bed rest, Isabelle and her brother, Ian, were born healthy and strong with no problems during labor or delivery. In fact, the midwife was amazed at how smoothly everything went, especially having been on bed rest. She said I must have an angel watching over me. I said there were probably many.

* * *

As Adagio gazes down into little Ian's face, he marvels at the blessing of having these two new precious additions to their family. Life could not be better. Turning his gaze to Cisely, she smiles, as if she'd read his thoughts.

"My heart is so full," she says, looking into his eyes. "I didn't think life could be any better, but it does get better with each passing day."

"It takes a valiant heart and a strong spirit to see the good in life after all you have gone through in yours, and you possess both, amore."

"If I am strong, it is because I have you as my husband. A lot of my strength comes from you." She reaches for his hand. "You raise me up, Adagio. Every time I feel like I'm falling, you're always there to catch me. Whenever my heart is heavy, you know, and somehow you always seem to lighten it."

"You are all those things for me as well." He leans in, touching his lips to hers.

 * * * 

As I melt under my husband's kiss, I relish the warmth of love that surrounds us, and the wealth of heavenly favor radiating like a Venetian sunset.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10 0 7
Samantha Lloys is content with her life, spending all her energy and time on her failing health and supporting herself. She is used to taking care o...
5.2K 326 32
Is home truly where the heart is? She's an Arizona girl who loves sunshine and expensive footwear. So when she finds herself in Alaska, where the tem...
1.7K 150 24
After the 24-year-old, content creator and influencer Muna Amadi was betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend, she decided to move to New York for a...
149 7 8
When an anti-social girl, Amariah Eloise Yvera enters a new school hoping to experience the pulsating feeling of youth, meets a very outgoing guy, No...