X-Men 1st Redemptions

By worldwalkerdj

Back with another story of our dynamic DJ duo, and their wacky but nerve wracking adventures: This time Shine... More

Introduction
1: X-troductions
2: X-Pectations
3: X-Cursion
4: X-planations
5: X-cident
6: X-pedition
7: X-pedient
8: X-onerated
9: X-amination
10: X-communication?
11: X-treme
12: X-tolling
13: X-pectations--2
14: X-Pertise
15: X-hibit
16: X-tortion
17: X-acerbate
18: X-amined
19: X-tinguished
20: X-tinguished-2
21: X-position
22: X-posed--1
23: X-posed-2
24: X-ceptive
25: X-agitate
26: X-ceeding
27: X-traordinaries
28: X-torsive
29: X-changes
30: X-cerpts
31: X-stole
32: X-lucidating
33: X-pertise
34: X-odus
35: X-terior-1
36: X-calating
37: X-terior--2
38: X-cuses
39: X-hortation
40: X-cavation
41: X-cavation-2
42: X-cavation-3
43: X-tremities
44: X-celsior
45: X-celsior-2
46: X-punge
47: X-cimer
48: X-hibits
49: X-pelled
50: X-scapee
51: X-capee-2
52: X-solated
53: X-travagate
54: X-ilic
55: X-istential
56: X-istential-2
57: X-cluded
58: X-trageneous
59: X-cluded-2
60: X-amined
61: X-cludable
62: X-posed-3
63: X-cruciating
64: X-cruciating-2
65: X-asperated
66: X-ternally Bound
67: X-ternally Bound-2
68: X-ternally bound--3
69: X-cursion
70: X-uvia
71: X-odoi
72: X-orcised
73: X-egesis
74: X-uvia--2
75: X-termination-1
76: X-emption
77: X-campment
78: X-campment-2
80: X-quivalent X-change
81: X-quivalent X-change-2
82: X-termination-2
83: X-traversion
84: X-stablished-2
85: X-citation
86: X-plaining
87: X-temporal
88: X-ceptions-1
89: X-ceptions-2
90: X-hortation-2
91: X-asperation
92: X-lucidatory
93: X-plete
94: X-plicit
95: X-pso Facto
Ending notes: About how I create

79: X-stablished

9 0 0
By worldwalkerdj

Jubilee sat in the kitchen, where a few of the Morlcoks were going through the pantry, to Jean's chagrin, and Wally was trying to lay out enough plates for them all.

He also tried to explain what happened in the most easy-to-handle way possible, which was not easy.

"I feel bad for her," Shine said to Storm. "She has been friends with them. I almost feel worse for Scott though. The look on his face last night when we walked in I doubt I'll ever forget."

"He took it better than I thought," Storm said.

Scott had almost passed out when they'd walked in followed by a train of Morlocks carrying all their belongings in bags or in their hands. Especially when Callisto had walked in and just nodded at him like this was normal.

Jean apparently hadn't warned Scott, though she'd known they were coming. She was still mad at him. It was the longest Jean had ever stayed angry, and Scott was reaching a sort of helpless desperation about it.

But this new change annoyed him so much that any attempt to make things right he'd have thought about making was delayed further.

But his protests didn't get very far. Storm said it was an emergency and they had no other choice. And Xavier, when he came in, agreed with her.

"They could steal something," Scott hissed.

"We don't have much around here that we're that attached to," Xavier said.

Rogue and Gambit had been off on a different mission at the time, and when they'd walked in, Gambit had just been saying he was looking forward to relaxing for a while...then he stopped short in the entryway.

"Land sakes!" Rogue fell back on an ancient country expression. "What in tarnation is goin' on in here? Did we open a homeless shelter?"

"Try to be more sensitive, Rogue," Shine said. "It's more like a refugee camp."

Apparently the Morlocks didn't find that offensive.

"And we have it in our livin' room?" Gambit sputtered.

"It was either that or the sewer," Shine said. "If you have a problem with it, call 1-800-TOO-BAD." She walked away.

"I didn't get that," Rogue said.

Storm came in with more sheets. "What she means is we're in a situation, and we have to make the best of it."

"Oh, good, 'cause we need a Shine-translator," Gambit said. "I tell ya, she speak her own language."

"Is...is the Professor goin' to be okay with this?" Rogue said. "And Hank? And...Logan?"

"Oh, Logan is fine," Storm said meaningfully. "He is anxious to please at this moment, I think."

"What did you do to him?" Gambit said. "He ain't never anxious to please."

"I didn't do anything," Storm said.

"Well, not much," Wally had buzzed by and commented. "And if you guys see Mystique, keep an eye on her. The Morlocks were out for blood earlier."

"For her? What'd she do to 'em?" Rogue said.

"She has been blamed for the havoc their former members have wreaked upon them," Storm said. "I don't fully understand. Perhaps you can explain, Rogue--something about brainwashing them."

"Oh...oh, shoot!" Rogue blinked. "Y'know, I think I do remember seein' a couple Morlocks in that bar when Momma come in like Angel and tell 'em all... That machine! Oh...dagnabbit!"

She stomped her foot. "Why'd she ever have to break that thing? Maybe we could have fixed 'em up before this ever happened."

"She done broke it too?" Gambit said. "She really never do help, does she?"

"Uh...well, I was chasin' her around..." Rogue said guiltily. "I guess both of us kinda broke it, and she shot me."

"She shot you?" Storm said.

"It was a blaster," Rogue said, "so it didn't do much to me. 'Course, I didn't know who it was... Momma sure do like to double down on bad decisions... But what do that have to do with the Morlocks?"

Storm took them into the hall before she explained.

"Oh...that's terrible." Rogue was upset.

"And Mystique still here?" Gambit said. "Why not leave her in de sewer and bring dem?"

"Shine would never allow that," Storm said. "At this time, I'm starting to think she is keeping Mystique here for her own protection, not ours. One thing I have come to understand about that woman is that she is a magnet for trouble. And we do not know who may be looking for her. Shine also always thinks ahead, if you haven't noticed. Nothing she or Wally ever do is just for one reason, I think. For example, leaving Mystique out there now, while it might be safer than here in one way, also might not be. We don't know that the Morlocks won't hunt her down, or that someone else might not, and she now has information that would interest them. Those two people are on a rampage. It makes the most sense to try to keep an eye on her and them at the same time."

"I guess," Rogue said. "But...not that Momma don't deserve what she gets, but, I don't want 'em to kill 'er. That would be a nasty thing to happen, and under our roof, it's even worse."

"Well, short of shutting her back into her cell, what else can we do?" Storm said.

Mystique might have agreed to such an offer, for how scared she was.

She'd gone straight to her room as soon as she got the chance and listened for any sound of someone following her.

"Gambit don't like dis," Gambit said. "Never trust dem Morlocks."

"I think we can put our past differences behind us," Storm said. "They are mostly harmless, I think."

They heard Wally yell, "Hey, don't touch that!"

"Harmless?" Gambit repeated dryly.

"I'm sure it was an accident," Storm said.

"Maybe, but aren't a lot of 'em dangerous?" Rogue said. "I mean, just...their powers, that's why they live down there."

"I hardly think we should care about that. Many of us are dangerous," Storm said. "Excuse me. I must finish what I was doing."

"Wait a minute," Gambit said. "How Logan mix up in dis? You say before he want to get on good side."

Storm paused.

"I really don't think it's my place to explain anything," she said. "Ask him. But I'd advise against doing so."

She walked on.

"I would advise that also," Rogue said. "Logan's meaner than a wet cat when he's in one of those moods of his."

They both left it alone for the time being.

Fast forward to the next day when Jubilee returned, and things were not much better.

Scott accepted the situation with his usual surly manner but less of a fight than expected, and the others tired to make the best of it.

Callisto was being a pain however, by telling Shine every 20 minutes that they were not here to stay long, and the sooner they found the two minions in question and put it to rights, the sooner everything could go back to normal.

Shine got so tired of this, that she finally turned and said, "Could you find something actually useful to do?"

Callisto was taken aback at being talked to like that, but she backed off.

But in a strange way, the X-men thought they'd never seen Shine so in her element, or Wally. They acted like they'd done this a hundred times--organizing the Morlocks into different sleeping areas, telling them when the meals would be ready, and breaking up any skirmishes between them or with the X-men.

They acted, in fact, like all this was expected and easy.

Jean finally remembered them once mentioning that they'd managed around 25 people on previous missions and had lived with 20-40 teenagers and supervised them.

"This must be nothing compared to that," she said.

"This ought to have been clear before," Storm said, "but Shine is a born manager. I wish we worked so efficiently, but outside of fighting, we usually don't. The Morlocks are not used to civilian ways, and Callisto is in charge of them, but they are heeding Shine like she's their mother."

"I would too, if she talked to me that way," Jean said.

Shine's whole aura just exuded the kind of confidence of someone who expected to be obeyed right off and will be shocked if you defy them. The perfect teacher/mother attitude, really.

She probably never even noticed she acted any different.

Xavier said they could take notes from it.

"I've considered expanding the school," he said. "Right now it doesn't seem feasible, but in the future, if it is, we might wish to implement some of this--a set meal time for students and what not."

"Still, this isn't getting them gone," Scott said. "They might end up liking it here too much if they keep making it so easy for them. Aren't we supposed to be finding those two menaces?"

"Patience, Scott. They are bound to turn up, causing trouble," Xavier said. "I'm sure the Morlocks could use some time to recover. Hank is attending to the ones who were still sick, but he told me the illness almost left them. There seems to be nothing those two cannot do."

"Aren't you worried that people will start thinking they can solve anything?" Scott said. "They can't. They are still human."

"Yes, well, I have worried that people will think the same about the X-men," Xavier said. "But so far, it doesn't seem to have happened. Maybe people are more realistic than we think."

That was unlikely. But the Morlocks, so used to be ignored and snubbed by everyone, even other mutants, were certainly having a unique experience.

Jubilee was sad to hear what happened to them. She was fortunate that most of her friends in them had recovered, and she was not deeply attached, but being a soft-hearted kid, she still felt awful on the others' behalf. Still, she resolved to try to cheer them up, and the kids amongst them were glad enough to let her entertain them. And it kept them busy.

Shine and Wally had discussed when to try to find the two horsemen.

"Why don't we give it a day or so?" Wally said. "They might show up on their own. We can try to find them, but you've never met them--it's gonna be harder for you to see them, and I could look all over the world and miss them, if they're hiding underground. Using Cerebro would probably be faster. And I think it's fine to keep the others here for that long."

"You know, it's possible some of them may end up liking it," Shine said. "And I see no problem with that, but will the X-men?"

"Didn't Storm offer already?" Wally said. "They'd be cool with it, right?"

"I hope so," Shine said.

"And...uh, are you ever gonna talk to Logan?" Wally said.

Shine's expression hardened.

"Nevermind," Wally said. "Just...you know holding a grudge is a bad idea."

"I am not holding a grudge," Shine said. "I'm furious."

"Oh...good, at least that's cleared up," Wally said weakly.

Later, he mentioned it to Gambit and Rogue.

"She's scaring me," he said. "I mean, not the angry part--that's actually kind of funny."

"Funny?" Rogue said.

Gambit was nodding.

"Why are you noddin'?" she said.

"Gambit understand," Gambit made the mistake of saying.

Rogue got mad. "Oh, really, huh?"

"Rogue, focus!" Wally said. "Look, I'm not great with angry women. You're a girl, right? Why is Shine still mad at Logan? I've never seen her stay mad longer than a few hours."

"Ever?" Gambit said. "What is she, some kinda saint? Any woman can stay mad longer n' dat."

Rogue crossed her arms.

"Well, why would I know why she's mad?" she huffed. "I ain't much like her."

They both looked at her.

"Well...I mean, sometimes..." Wally said.

"A little," Gambit said.

"I just don't know what to do." Wally rubbed his forehead. "I'm afraid Logan will get struck with lightning if this keeps up."

"Dat's Storm," Gambit said.

"Oh, no, he and Storm are good. I caught them holding hands," Wally said.

"You caught them what now?" Rogue said.

Wally raised an eyebrow slyly. "Yeah, all cozy in the tunnel. So, you know, I think things are going well there."

"Wait, when did dis happen?" Gambit said.

"What happened?" Rogue was confused.

"You haven't noticed? It's been going on for ages," Wally said. "I'm terrible at picking up on this stuff, but it's pretty obvious even to me."

"Gambit must have missed somethin'." Gambit was nonplussed. "What goin' on?"

"Yeah, what's going on? What are you two talkin' about?" Rogue said.

"Do I really need to spell it out for you?" Wally said. "You're a girl--aren't you supposed to know this stuff better?"

"Not all girls are the same, Sugar," Rogue said, pointing at him in irritation. "Now spill the beans."

"What about Shine?" Wally said.

"Forget her, I want to know about Storm," Rogue said.

"Now, we can talk about both," Gambit said. "First things first. Tell him how to fix it with Shine, and we get dat outta de way."

"Well, how should I know?" Rogue said. "Sounds like she's angry with Logan because he almost sold out Momma, and I'd be angry at him too for that, in the middle of a fight, if I was tryin' to keep everyone from killin' each other. I'd probably stop speakin' to him for days, if I didn't break him in half."

Wally and Gambit exchanged a look like, And she said she didn't know.

"And if dat happen, when would you forgive him?" Gambit said.

"When he earned it." Rogue frowned. "Actually, now that I think about it, I might be mad at 'im too. What a jerk thing to do. I ought to give 'im a piece of my mind."

"I think Shine's got it covered," Wally said. "How can he earn it?"

"I dunno." Rogue shrugged. "Maybe if he'd be nicer to Momma. I know he don't like her, but we done taken responsibility for her. I guess we should act like it. Why would he even think about sellin' 'er out?"

"Gambit understand dat," Gambit said. "Between an enemy and your friends, you gonna pick your friends. It ain't pretty, but it true. Ain't dat Logan wanted it, but he used to makin' hard choices."

"I guess that's true," Wally said. "And maybe I'd think the same thing, if I had that kind of choice. But Shine would never have picked between two; she tries to save everyone... I don't think she sees a difference between enemies and friends there. You've noticed, she doesn't see anyone quite like the rest of us do."

"And I like that about her, some of the time," Rogue said. "But there are times I think she gives people too much credit. Momma is goin' to use her, like she does everyone."

"Is it using her if she's letting her do it?" Wally sobered. "Shine's not stupid, Rogue. She knows what Mystique does. We talk about this stuff, you know--and how far to risk it--all the time."

"You talk 'bout dat?" Gambit said.

"Hey, man, if you don't, that's your dumb decision," Wally said. "Shine and I both tend to choose compassion over punishment, and that can be dangerous. My other friends remind me of that all the time. So the only thing to do is try to keep each other aware, look out for each other's safety. You should try it too. You all fight over who to be nice to so often that you don't see how much easier it would be if you just supported each other but kept a watch to see if it was going too far. That line is thin, sometimes. Shine and I argued a ton over Dabi--uh, that's one of our mentees in our last mission--and whether it was getting too dangerous to reach out to him. I thought it was. Finally Shine agreed to stop, after he stabbed us in the back, even though he kind of fell just short of actually doing it, but she knew it was over."

"Too bad," Rogue said. "I hate it when I have to give up on people."

"I know," Wally said. "Which is a cool thing about you, Rogue. But, you know, what happened after that was weird. God still works on people. He actually came around. I didn't want to help him, but I still did, and Shine saved his life even after that. He got so ashamed, he finally cracked. Did one of the biggest 180s I've ever seen. He ended up helping us with our next mission within the mission, and he was a huge help. That's where he met his girlfriend too, but that's another story--she's cool though. Want to know what he's doing now?"

"Sure," Rogue said.

"He's helping head up a new group for former bad guys--Villains, they call them there--who want to rehabilitate," Wally said. "He's came back from literal insanity to being an actually pretty cool guy. I mean, he's still a smart-mouthed, little brat sometimes, but it's kind of just his outward shell now. Underneath, he's pretty cool. I'd fight with him on my team any day. You see my point?"

"Not really," Gambit said.

"You guys think Mystique is a lost cause?" Wally said. "You should have heard what some of the guys there did. And what they went through. But they could come back from it. Even if you have to give up trying to help someone for a while, you don't stop hoping and praying, and maybe what you really did will sink in. You never know. Mystique is kind of a jerk now, but a few years and you might not even recognize her."

"Dat would be a guarantee for her," Gambit said.

"Not what I meant," Wally said. "This serious to us, finding the best in people."

"I like that," Rogue said. "Wish I could do it. I think I kinda just see people how they are at their worst. I can't imagine Momma ever comin' around."

"I mean, do you try?" Wally said.

Rogue paused.

"No," she said.

"That's why," Wally said.

"Huh...?" Rogue knitted her brows.

"Well, if all dis is true, Logan is gonna have to work hard to get back in her good grace," Gambit said. "Though if she see de best in people, she ought to have known how he feel."

"I think that's why, actually," Wally said. "We know Logan is better than that."

"I think havin' enemies in the house makes him jumpy," Rogue said.

"I get it," Wally said, "a little too well, actually..." He rubbed his neck. "I guess the answer is just to be patient, then."

"All right, den. What 'bout Storm?" Gambit had not forgotten this.

"Oh, that." Wally got a more sly look. "Well, you know, I don't know that much. Shine, though, she told me she's pretty sure there's something going on there. One woman to another, you know. And I think it'd be great... I mean, better than Jean, right?"

"We don't talk 'bout dat," Gambit said. [Again with the "We Don't Talk About Bruno" references.]

"Can we talk about that?" Rogue asked.

"Probably not," Wally said. "But it's awkward as heck, isn't it? On the other hand, Storm is awesome. Scary, but awesome. That's so much better, right? I mean, I'm not much of a matchmaker--or shipper, as Camie calls it--but I'd support the heck out of that."

"It would be better..." Gambit was getting a sly smirk.

"Isn't it kinda bad to think that way about friends?" Rogue said. "Then again...ah, that would be so cute."

She got the look all girls get when shipping mode is activated. "I mean, they get along real good...but I always thought it was just as friends."

"What's wrong with that?" Wally said. "That's how Shine and I started... None of my relationships built on instant attraction lasted."

"You not attracted to her?" Gambit said.

"Oh, no, I was," Wally said, "but I already had a girlfriend, and I kind of ignored it, and we were just really good friends. But then I broke up, and I kinda started to think that way."

"Men," Rogue said. "Always about that, ain't it?"

"I mean...isn't that how you girls want it?" Wally said.

Rogue turned red. "No," she said, which was obviously a lie.

"More to de point," Gambit said, "dey is really good friends now. Always have been. Storm 'bout de only one who ever get Logan to cooperate."

"Actually, Logan's afraid of women," Wally said. "Not that I blame him."

Rogue glared at him.

"See? Scary." Wally nodded at her.

Rogue huffed. "But you think Storm likes him?"

"Shine does," Wally said. "I can't tell. What do you think?"

Rogue put a finger to her chin.

"I think they understand each other," she said. "But I couldn't say more than that. But I gotta agree, Storm would be way better for him than any other girl I can think of."

"Well, you just keep an eye out and see if you don't notice it," Wally said. "But...that's not helping my problem at all..."

"Gambit think you should jus' stay out of it," Gambit said. "Getting in the middle of a fight with a woman is never a good idea."

"Why don't you just stop it?" Rogue said.

"Maybe you're right," Wally said. "Though once you put a ring on it, I think you kind of have to, sometimes..."

"I say we just let Logan work on it," Rogue said. "Be good for him to get his come-uppance over his temper for once."

Pretty clear whose side she was on here.

* * *

Mystique was startled out of staring into space by her door opening.

Morph poked his head in.

"Don't you ever knock?" Mystique asked, annoyed.

"I mean...what's the point?" Morph said.

Since Mystique really never changed clothes the usual way, there might not be one, but it still annoyed her.

"What do you want?" she said.

"Well, Scott said I should make sure you were still in here," Morph said. "None of the Morlocks found this room, it looks like."

Mystique shrugged. "Apparently none of them are bloodhounds."

"Why would they be?" Morph said.

"That's what we call mutants who can track," Mystique said carelessly, "at least in some of the groups...bloodhounds."

"I think that makes sense," Morph said. "I guess Logan would be one, then... So you haven't come out of here since yesterday."

She shrugged.

"Are you not coming out until they leave?" Morph asked.

She shook her head.

"That what I thought." Morph came in the rest of the way. "Well, I can't blame you. I feel awkward after the way I blew up at them too."

"Are you saying you want to hide in here?" Mystique said.

"Oh...well...the thing is this is the only hallway that they didn't put them in," Morph said. "For obvious reasons."

Mystique shrugged. "I don't really care."

This was the closest to being friendly she'd ever been. Morph thought it was kind of weird. Where was this coming from?

Truthfully, Mystique was getting bored after 24 hours not leaving this room, so she was being unusually nice.

"Want to play?" Morph held up a pack of cards.

It was a thing in the X-men's male members to not really be able to stand sitting in a room without playing cards or some other game. They were all too restless. Except Xavier, perhaps.

Mystique didn't like games that much but had nothing whatsoever better to do, so she shrugged. "Better than just sitting here, I guess..."

They didn't really talk for a while.

Morph couldn't stand that for long, though.

"I thought Scott would die of shock," he said. "But now I think the pantry is going to die first...too many people."

Mystique didn't comment.

"I think they took our towels too," Morph said. "But who'd have the heart to ask them?"

Still no comment.

"It's a shame they have to go back to the sewers though," Morph mused. "It's too bad that some mutants really just can't live up top at all."

"Is there a point to bringing all this up?" Mystique finally said tersely.

"I...was just thinking out loud," Morph said.

"Oh..." She looked down.

"I mean, don't you ever think about how sad it is?" Morph said.

"Do I ever think about anyone?" Mystique said dryly. "I wonder...even if it is sad, what is there to do about it?"

"So never think about people you can't help?" Morph said. "But, if no one did that, they'd never help."

"I don't have much faith in anyone's ability to resolve problems." Mystique drew a card slowly. "Even the X-men have made little progress. And they are the lauded heroes of mutantkind. But the criminals make little progress as well. It just goes on forever." She frowned. "I've lived a long time, and no change is ever really lasting."

"How long?" Morph said, expecting her to say 40 or 50 at most.

"Must be almost a 100 years by now." Mystique had given up really keeping track at some point.

Morph almost choked on air. "100 years?"

"Your friend Wolverine is even older than that. What's the big surprise?" Mystique said.

"Wait...how old is he?" Morph said.

"Must be nearly 130," Mystique estimated.

"How would you know that?" Morph said.

"I have my sources." Mystique wasn't about to explain how.

"That's...wow....I don't think he even knows that." Morph wondered how Logan would feel about being such an old codger...then again, maybe he knew. Hadn't Shine once mentioned it?

"He knows," Mystique confirmed. "Likstar has mentioned it to his face. Whether he remembers is anyone's guess."

"Logan doesn't remember much," Morph said. "It's actually pretty sad."

"I think he's lucky." Mystique didn't know why she said it, but it came out. "Living such a long time not remembering most of it is probably for the best."

"Why?" Morph said.

"Less disappointments," Mystique said.

Morph was quiet again. Then, "That doesn't sound right."

"I take it you age normally." Mystique had been wondering this for some time, actually. "Your mutation doesn't stop it."

"Actually, I don't know," Morph said.

"You...don't know?" Mystique said.

[The comics do not clarify it, so speculation has to be based on what's likely.]

"You transform using scales, right?" Morph said.

"Yes," Mystique said slowly.

"That's not what I do," Morph said. "I'm more like...clay. So, yeah, maybe I would age, but I kind of just always look like this. I feel like what mood I'm in has more to do with it than anything else. But maybe I just naturally look my age. I could look this age when I'm 80, so...age doesn't really matter for shapeshifter, does it?"

"No," Mystique said. "I guess not. So is this your natural form, then?"

"I...I don't know. What's a natural form for someone who can be like play-doh?" Morph said. "It's what I feel comfortable looking like, I guess. You have to have something to revert back to, or you'd lose your mind, right?"

Mystique had not ever really thought of it this way, but it might be true.

Then again, Morph changed his form according to whether he was good or evil, so maybe he had always thought of it this way.

She wondered if she'd ever change her form based on her mood...probably not. Seemed too dangerous.

[For a woman it'd be too often, right?... Yeah, bad joke. Honestly, my moods don't change that often, and I'm a woman, so I'd just look the same most of the time anyway. But fun fact: Morph's mutation actually makes him, in his words, 'hormonal'. No one is sure what exactly that means, but my sister and I thought it could be that his hormones might change to match his forms, and have something to do with how he controls them. So the reason he changes forms with his mood might make more sense that way. It's kind of funny that, while it's supposedly women who change more, Mystique is far more stoic than Morph is, and he's far more flexible and emotional.]

"And that is what you look like, then?" Morph might well ask this, since how would anyone really know?

"Yes," Mystique said tightly. "Born this way."

"Oh...like Kurt," Morph said.

Endless ironies, really... Mystique remembered Shine pointed out how she'd treated Kurt like she'd been treated... She didn't want to think about that.

"What's funny about that is so was Hank," Morph said. "I think...maybe it's the blue... You guys aren't related, right?"

"No." Mystique's tone indicated that would be a horrifying thing.

Someone knocked on the door then.

"I wonder who that is?" Morph said.

"It's Shine." Mystique had been about to turn into a different person, before she recognized the knock.

"How do you know?" Morph said.

Mystique got up and opened the door.

Shine was standing there. 

"This door isn't locked," she said, unnecessarily.

"What do you know," Mystique said flatly.

Shine laughed. "Well, I came to check on you, but I guess you're fine. Hello, Morph."

"How did you know I was here?" Morph asked, peering around the door now.

"I heard talking," Shine said. "And the door was unlocked, so I would hope someone was inside here, though I don't think we remember to lock it half the time anyway."

"It wouldn't matter," Mystique said. "I can pick locks like this in my sleep."

"I thought so," Shine said. "I know several people who can do the same. Have you eaten today?"

Mystique had not.

"I'm fine," she said stiffly.

"Here." Shine grabbed a tray off a cart she had with her. "Better hurry, though. I swear those kids go after food like bloodhounds. Morph, you're going to hide in here all day also?"

"Oh, well, I wasn't exactly--" Morph began.

"I can bring you some too--or maybe just portal it in here," Shine said, like this was normal. "I think it'd be okay to come out, though. They've forgotten about you. Sneak out like someone else, and no one will think twice about it."

"Oh, sure, sneak out," Mystique said. "Wouldn't that violate the 'good behavior' agreement we have?"

"I won't tell Scott if you won't," Shine said. "Jubilee is back, Morph. You should say hi. She was worried about you when you disappeared."

"Really?" Morph said. "I didn't think Jubilee liked me that much."

"Of course she does, don't be silly," Shine said. "Everyone does... I need to go. I haven't sat down for hours, feels like. Let me know if you need anything else."

She shut the door.

Mystique put the tray down and sighed.

"It could be worse," Morph said. "I heard Hank went to real prison for a while."

"I've been to prison before," Mystique said. "But to one full of people who want to kill me? That's the situation I have always tried to avoid."

"So why are you still here?" Morph said.

"Where can I run from someone who can teleport to a specific person?" Mystique sat down. "I gave up on that idea last month. But it's not her that worries me."

"Yeah, but that power in the wrong hands would be terrifying," Morph said. "I've never heard of any mutant who had that kind of range, over that specific of a location... I hope it can't be copied."

Mystique hoped so also.

[Let's hope they never hear about Dark Walkers, am I right? It's in the MHA story, if you don't know.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179 2 12
Dominic is finally making a life for himself. He's going to a small community college, he has a part-time job at a bakery that pays well, and he fina...
14.6K 602 194
Class 1-A has just finishing their Licensing Exam, and are trying to finally have some peace, when two strangers somehow appear at UA, claiming to be...
7.5K 215 22
In the midst of this snooze-fest they call a town, enters a strange guy. He's like the riddle that nobody bothered to solve, just casually strolling...
4K 183 18
The Morlocks were tired of been underground and hiding away from the world just because people didn't accept or were afraid of their mutations, so Ca...