Luna

By MeganColthart

This is my first time publishing anything publicly so please please comment on the story I would love to hear... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten

Chapter Three

4 1 0
By MeganColthart

I woke up to Fidi shifting underneath me. "What's going on bud?" I slowly opened my eyes and looked up at him. I need to move, because you have been sleeping forever. I was tired but he deserved to do what he wanted, so I reluctantly slid off of him and began examining the decorations that Lily and I had created. I wanted one of Fidi somewhere, for there were many protector dragons depicted, but not my good friend. The only reason for this was because Lily had never seen one up close and so she could not get the details right for the drawing of it. From the way the tall pines were casting shadows on the cave floor, I could tell I had around an hour before Luna would start making her way out here. My stomach let out a loud rumble, I had missed dinner last night. Maybe I would be able to find some berries or fruit in the woods to the south before Lily would make it here. I looked out the entrance and saw Fidi making large loops in the sky, clearly enjoying himself. Enjoying himself in plain sight...in the Fotia tribe's lands.

"Fidi! You can't just fly out in the open here. We are no longer inside the Araki borders." Even though he was hundreds of meters away, I knew he could hear me, for his hearing, just like his sense of smell, was amazing. The lazily looping figure disappeared before my eyes. "Thanks Fidi." I was worried someone had seen him, but I couldn't really be mad. Everything had changed for both of us last night, but most of all for him. So, how long do you plan on hiding out here? I mean this hiding thing is fun and all, but I would like some food eventually. Just then he appeared at my side, and looking into his black eyes I wanted to tell him everything would be okay, for he had to be worried. "I guess we will have to find our own food. I was just about to leave and look for some fruits or something." A low whine escaped him and laid down, obviously deflated. "I have a friend here..." I began. And do you think she just carries around enough food for a dragon in her back pocket? There are no animals anywhere around here. We are way too close to the Araki lands for hunting. He was getting grumpy. Before he could talk he had always been grumpy when he got hungry, but I never expected him to be so sassy about it. "No need to be sassy there big fella." I smiled at him hoping the jest would cool things off. He turned towards the entrance, and these words appeared in my head; Let's go find some food. I jumped up and clapped my hands. "It will be so much easier with your help, thanks Fidi." With that, I climbed onto his back and off we went.

We had collected a few berries and one plum, which would hold me over until Lily came, but Fidi was getting more and more upset at the lack of food for him. "Alright buddy, let's go back to the cave and then we'll try and track Lily back to her house. She might have something for you there." I had brought some money with me and hopefully it would be enough to compensate Lily. After landing on the ground in front of the entrance, I lifted the rock to show Fidi the sheet the Lily had held so often. He smelled it once and then spread his wings to take off. "Hey! Wait for me!" I shoved the sheet back under it's rock and jumped onto Fidi's back, jostling my side just enough to make me wince. Fidi whined and looked apologetically at me . I shook my head. "It's my fault," he camouflaged himself and we took off without another word. I assumed we were following Lily's scent. I watched the ground beneath us just in case she had left her house early. Which she had in fact done, I saw her walking below us about five minutes later, but before I could say anything Fidi began descending. "You can't just land right next to her..." I began, but I was too late. He was already on the ground right next to her, thankfully still invisible. I, however, was fully visible.

"Luna? I thought you said that you couldn't fly." She looked extremely confused, "Did you lie to me? Why?" Her green eyes started clouding over with anger.

"Wait, calm down. That's Fidi. Fidi, please show yourself." His camouflage faded and he looked straight at Lily, his head slightly cocked. "He started doing that last night."

"You have an invisible dragon now? Wow, that's awesome." Her eyes turned bright once more and she started laughing, Fidi and I were both taken aback.

"We don't think it's so funny. We had to run away last night, I'm afraid of what the Iget will do if he finds out what Fidi can do, they already wanted to destroy us both just because he's red." Fidi hung his head, I guess he hadn't thought of that. I'm sorry. I would never put you in danger on purpose. I rested my hand on his shoulder and gave him a reassuring look. "I know you wouldn't" Then turning away from him I looked at Lily and asked, "Can you help us Lily? We are kind of starving."

"Of course, wait right here!" She turned and began to run in the direction she had just come from.

"Lily, wait!" I yelled after her, and she stopped. "Wouldn't flying be faster?" Fidi's eyes began to bore holes into the back of my head. I've never flown with anyone else. I don't even know her. You can't just expect me to... "But you know me, and you trust me, right?" I cut him off. Lily looked at me, puzzled. "And, it will get you to food faster." I turned to look into his black eyes. Okay, you're right. He looked slightly defeated but he helped Lily onto his back and I slid on behind her. I could tell she was nervous. "It's okay Lily, he's a great flyer."

"I've never flown before. Is it scary?" She was shaking and clearly terrified.

"It's way safer to fly with Fidi than when you let me lift you with that sheet. Don't worry, he will take care of us. I trust him." She let out a shaky sigh and nodded, still staring straight ahead. "Alright Fidi, you can still follow her scent to her house right?" and without another word he took off and headed in the direction we had seen Lily come from. Once he disappeared, Lily squealed and her knuckles turned white as she gripped his shoulders even tighter. "It's okay Lily, he's just making sure that no one from below can see us. He isn't gone." Well that didn't help any, maybe talking about something else would. "Hey, Lily, do you think it would be better to go to your house and I give you the money to replace the stuff we took, or should we go straight to a market instead?" I was staring at the back of her head hoping that the distraction would work.

"Um, I think the market would be better." She took in another, slightly less shaky breath, "Can Fidi follow my scent there? I just went there yesterday." she turned her head just barely for a second then quickly looked forward again.

"He can do that easily, right bud?" I looked at him expectantly. You know I can do that. He was being short with me and I knew why. "Sorry buddy, we'll get there soon and get you some food." I ran my hand along where his wing joint should be and gave him a little scratch, just like he liked.

"We aren't too heavy are we? Is that what you guys were talking about?" Lily stiffened up once more, clearly scared we were going to plummet out of the sky at any moment.

"No, Lily. He is just hungry. We are fine, for Fidi is the strongest dragon I know." As I said that I gave him one more scratch just where I thought his wing joint should be. We were now over a tiny town that looked quite dusty and old, almost broken in a way. I was shocked, for all the towns in the Araki borders were well maintained and each building was new.

"Alright, this is it. That building over there is where we should go first." I pinpointed the building she had pointed at and sent an image of it to Fidi. He banked carefully, using only the slightest movements to make sure that Lily and I remained unseen. Fidi landed silently behind the crumbling building.

"Okay Fidi, please stay here and unseen. We'll be back as soon as possible with the food." I turned to join Lily and her deep green eyes were apologetic.

"You cannot come into the store dressed like that, people will know you don't belong." I looked down at my mussed ball gown. I had completely forgotten that I was still wearing it. I just handed her the money and her eyes turned into dinner saucers. "I don't need all of this." She laughed a little and returned all but one coin to me.

"Are you sure? Fidi eats a lot" I looked at her confused.

"YES, I am very sure this will be enough!" She bounced off in the direction of the store and I walked back towards Fidi and I felt his wing cover my back so I let it guide me forward, and when I found his rear leg I sat on the ground in front of it leaning against his strong muscles, I felt his wing encompass me. We were both completely invisible to the outside world, but I could see everything. This might come in handy sometime. This could be very useful Luna. You know, for watching people and things. I only nodded, for my words could be heard by others. I then saw Lily heading back towards us with a cart full of meat.

"Oh shoot, where did they go..." I heard her whisper as she looked frantically around. I felt Fidi's wing retract, exposing me to Lily. "Oh thank goodness, there you are. I bought all of what they had at the cheapest and then I bought a couple steaks with my own money to thank Fidi for taking me flying. It was amazing, even if I was scared." She had a small brown package in her hand, and she stepped aside as she saw me motion Fidi forward. He covered the cart with his wings, so that it was hidden along with him.

"Thank you so much. Is there any way that you could also get me some clothes? I kind of want to be able to walk around without people knowing I'm Araki." She just smiled.

"I've already thought of that." she said with a smile and then handed me the brown package. I opened the package to see a simple brown dress. I smiled and hugged her hard.

"I love the dress, but is there any way that I could fit in while wearing trousers? I always wear them back home so that it is easier to get on and off of Fidi." She frowned, looking apologetic.

"I'm sorry, but no. People would know instantly that you were from the Araki tribe if you wore those trousers I always see you in." I forced a smile and shook my head.

"Not a problem, I'll just have to get used to wearing dresses." I noted the cart was no longer covered, it also contained zero meat. That is much better. I heard the words in my head and smiled, for I was grateful that my friend was content once more. "Let's fly back to the cave. I'm going to change there." Fidi re-appeared then to help us climb onto his back and then disappeared once more when we were situated. He lifted us into the air without a sound. We flew back in silence and Lily seemed much more comfortable this time.

Fidi abandoned his camouflage once we could see the cave entrance. His bright scales glistened in the sunlight. He flew in close to the entrance and then aimed carefully as he did not want to knock either of us off on the flight in. He landed softly in the cave and we both slid off of his back. "Lily, would you mind helping me get this dress off?" She obliged, unfastening each button on my back. I slipped the dress off and it fell in shining red waves into a silky puddle around my feet. I stepped away from it and pulled the rough fabric of the brown dress over my head. It fit just fine. I blended. "Now Lily, will this dress work in all the tribes or only the Fotia?"

"It will be perfect for any tribe, I got you a merchant's dress. You can go to all the tribes without the people thinking twice." Lily truly was the best.

"Thank you so much." I pulled her into a tight hug.

"Now you have to tell me the whole story. What is going on?" So, I told her everything, the injury, the party, my brother at the party, and Fidi. "Wow, I never knew the Araki nation was that extravagant." was all she said at first, but after a long pause, "So, what's your plan now."

"First of all, are all of the towns in Fotia as run down as the one we just visited?" Lily just looked at me, and seemed completely shocked.

"That is the town closest to Araki borders, it is the town that gets ransacked by the Araki troops most often and is therefore quite desolate." I was appalled, and when I looked at Fidi he looked just about as shocked as a dragon could. "The towns get a little better when they get a bit further away from the border but not much, there isn't a lot of money to spare down here off of the mountains." Lily seemed shocked. I had to do something, because who else would? I then felt the air shift, and the way that it was shifting felt just like Rocco.

Fidi locked eyes with me and I grabbed my bright red dress and we both ran to the back of the cave and without any words, he enveloped me in his wings, rendering us both invisible. Lily still stood at the entrance, obviously shocked, and before I could say anything the green mass that was Rocco blocked all light from the cave entrance. Both Ark and my father sat on his back. My brother was sitting in front and his eyes were dark, so dark that his pupils were indesinquitable. My brother jumped from Rocco's back and landed clumsily on the cave floor, catching himself with his right hand.

"Luna!" he shouted, his voice filling the cave and startling Lily, who stood next to him. She was scared stiff. "I know that you are here." His voice was commanding. He had not yet acknowledged Lily.

"Leave now, this is my property. I do not know why you Araki have invaded my land, but you will pay for it." She had collected herself and I was completely impressed. My father had at some point also jumped into the cave, and was looking straight at me. He knew somehow, he must have. He was walking towards me. "Stop right there intruder. I can have you arrested." He ignored Lily's brave facade, and stepped right up to Fidi's wing. Fidi pulled in his wings tighter, pressing me against him, and making my side sting. I think it might have started to bleed again, for I felt a now familiar sticky warmth under my shirt.

"Luna, this is silly, come out now." my father's voice was the opposite of my brothers, his words seemed meant for only me. He used the tone that he had always used when I was hurt or scared as a child. He was gentle and calm, but I stayed hidden. If they found me now Fidi would be found out and we would both be killed. Are you bleeding? What is wrong? Of course he was worried. I couldn't send another image to him, for I was already tired from the last one and we might have to fight our way out of this. So I just rested my hand against him and hoped it was reassuring. My dad turned away and looked at Lily. "How did you do these carvings in the walls?"

Puffing up her chest Lily answered, "I burn the rocks and the blow on them to get rid of the dust. It is very simple, really." Lily was so brave. Her stare only broke from my father's gaze when Rocco finally stopped hovering in the entrance and landed heavily, and quite clumsily I might add, below the entrance. The cave was one more filled with light. "If you don't mind me asking, have I done something wrong?" Lily crossed her arms and turned her gaze to Ark's, he took the slightest step backwards, I think this was the first he had noticed her. His eyes quickly scanned her whole body. "So, why did you two feel the need to trespass on my property?" Her arms were crossed and she was staring directly at my brother.

"If you haven't been listening, we are looking for a girl, Luna, She is my daughter." My dad spoke up for my brother since he now seemed to be at a loss for words. "She ran away last night and we need to find her. If you see a dark haired girl with a red dragon please let someone know."

"There is no such thing as red dragons, everyone knows that." Yes, go Lily! Fidi and I were on the same page. Lily knew how to deal with this.

"My dragon sensed that she has been here, how do you explain that?" My brother chimed in finally.

"Well, maybe she barged in here last night while I was sleeping. You Araki seem to like my cave." She is being so brave, I hope that Ark doesn't see through her lies.

"May I ask how you get into this cave?" My father had caught her finally, how was she going to explain this?

"I climb, it's a useful skill to have." Her expression remained blank and her answers were short and quick. I am so proud.

"Dad, even if she was here, she isn't here anymore. We should keep looking." Ark seemed to believe her. Thank goodness.

"Okay son, call Rocco. We have to search elsewhere." My father seems tired, I wonder how long they have been looking. I almost feel bad. Rocco took off once more and let my father and brother climb on top of him before heading back in the direction of the Araki border. I need to get far away from here.

I waited for a whole ten minutes and then Fidi came back into view and released me from his protective cocoon. "I'm so sorry you had to do that Lily, but you did amazing. How do you know how to do that?" She looked kind of sad.

"Luna, we get raided often, Araki soldiers take our money and extra food. They say it's to feed and house the dragons." She ran her fingers through her flaming hair, "That's why all of our towns are so poor." My heart sank, how could the people that I was raised by do this? Was Ark a part of this?

"I never knew." Was all that I could say. I was too shocked. I shook my head, "No. I can never go back to that place. I need to get as far away as I can. Lily, I am going to Kyma lands." Lily's eyes grew wide.

"How? When? What will you do?" She began walking towards me. Her brow was deeply furrowed.

"Fidi and I will fly out tonight, maybe I'll find a job as a merchant or something." I truthfully had no idea what to do. "Could you help me?" I felt the backs of my eyes burning with tears that were trying to escape, but now is not the time for that. I need a plan.

"Of course I will help you." I could see tears welling in her eyes. "I'm just going to miss you." as she choked the words out, Lily broke down. I watched her tears stream down her face and I ran to her, pulling her into a tight embrace. I could no longer hold back my own tears either.

"Okay," I sniffled, "We should leave. They might come back." I pulled away from her and she nodded. "I need to leave."

"Not yet, stay at my house tonight, and leave in the morning. You two should fly and I'll walk just below you in case you brother and father are watching." Lily was once more her brave self.

"That would make sense, except maybe I should head to your house and wait there, if my family is hovering around you, they will find me in the air above you instantly." I felt terrible leaving her on her own, but it would just put us all in more danger. Have her climb down like she said she could and I'll fly invisibly behind her to make sure she doesn't fall. "Fidi makes a lot of sense, he says that you should climb down like you said that you could and he will be right behind you just in case you do fall." She looked right at Fidi and smiled.

"Thank you Fidi, that is actually a great idea." That was the last word, she simply turned and started down the cliff side. Fidi faded into invisibility as he took off above her head. I would wait here until she was safely on the ground and Fidi returned to my side. I felt the almost imperceivable shift in the air as Fidi landed next to me. I missed being able to see his brilliant colors all of the time, for they always made me feel hopeful.

"Alright my friend. Let's go." I slid easily onto his back and we took off, he looped lazily above Lily a few times, seeming to make sure she was okay and then we headed in the direction that must be her house. I think that it is just below. Fidi placed the image of the only house below in my head. "I knew you meant that one, for it is the only one. How could she be forced to live like this." The house was in terrible shape, the walls seemed to be in pieces and there was no glass in any of the windows. Fidi circled, slowly lowering us to the ground. Once on the ground again, he covered me in the now familiar embrace. We were both completely invisible. The sun was getting lower now I must have fallen asleep. Where was Lily? I placed an image of her into Fidi's mind. Her smell is getting stronger, she must be close. Fidi shifted underneath me. "Can you stay invisible in your sleep?" The words were hardly audible, but it was enough for Fidi. I have no clue. Should I just sleep on the roof? The roof on this house looked very weak. "I don't know, this isn't the most stable house. We should wait for Lily, maybe she knows a place for you." Just then I saw her bright red hair announce her arrival over the hilltop. She was looking around anxiously. "Let me out now, I'm going to go talk to her." I felt the breeze on my face once more and waved to her. She looked relieved and bounced over to me.

"Oh I was so worried that they had found you somehow and taken you back." Her eyes seemed to brighten as she fully realized that we were okay. "I was thinking for the entire walk back and you should travel by cart to the Kyma lands, it will be much less suspicious." She sucked in a deep breath then continued on, "I even know a guy that would be willing to take you on as an apprentice." I put my hands in the air to slow her down.

"Lily, I wouldn't be able to stay with Fidi that way, his presence would terrify the poor horses." I sighed, "And, I cannot be separated from him for long, it would break my heart." I felt him come closer to me and he was now so close I could feel his breath. Don't turn this down for me. I can follow at a distance and everytime you need to go to the bathroom I will check up on you. I will fly high enough so that the horses don't care and you just have to go downwind for the restroom. I have to admit, he makes a lot of sense. "Okay, we'll do it." Lily started jumping and clapping her hands. "We will tell him that I am Kyma, it is the easiest element for me to pretend to control." This could work. "After all no one can simply create an element out of nothing, besides Fotia of course."

"That sounds like a solid plan. However, tonight we need sleep and tomorrow we will need to find you at least a second dress. As well as introduce you to Kip, my good friend, he is Edafos and he will be training you." Perfect, I would get to meet another person from outside of the Araki lands. I cannot wait.

"Okay, I like the plan too. However, I have no idea where Fidi can sleep. We don't think that he will be able to maintain his camouflage in his sleep." She looked around and then her eyes brightened with an idea.

"He can stay in the barn, we don't keep animals anymore and no one goes in there." She pointed to a disaster zone of a building just behind the main house. I just hope it won't fall down on me. I better not sneeze.

"It's perfect Lily, thank you. Not to impose, but is there anything I could give him to eat?" I knew he would be hungry soon and I didn't want a repeat of what happened this morning.

"I will check when we go inside, now Fidi, you can go into the barn whenever you like but I should take Luna inside now." she smiled in his general direction.

"Goodnight buddy, I will bring you something if I can." His wing brushed my shoulder as he snuck off towards the barn. I looked at Lily and then we headed to her house.

"So Luna, you never told me that your brother was so," she paused for a second and seemed to think about her next words, I dreaded it, "uh gorgeous." I always knew my brother was attractive but I never expected to have this conversation with Lily of all people.

"I don't exactly think of him in that way." I could not believe that this was happening.

"He was just so dark and mysterious, he seemed so strong." I did not want to have this conversation, ever.

"How about we talk about Kip, what is he like? What should I expect from him?" I needed a change in subject and desperately hoped she would accept it.

"He is amazing, he is closer to an uncle than anything else, he is a good friend of the family. Everytime he comes up his way he always lets my mom have the best of the food in his collection." Her smile seemed withdrawn. "Ever since my father died, we've needed all the help we can get."

"Lily I am so sorry to hear that, how come you never told me before?" Her frown intensified and swallowed the earlier joy.

"Maybe because it had been Araki soldiers who killed him, one day the soldiers weren't content with our offering and they decided to send a message. It happened about 4 years ago." I was at a loss for words and in complete shock. I thought that we were the protectors, not what the nation needed protection from. "I don't blame you though Luna, I know that it isn't your fault. Lets go inside now and you can meet my mom." Not my fault? She's wrong, it was my fault in a way. All this time I just blindly trusted my father. Her smile seemed to be returning, and her eyes brightened once more. If she could be so strong then I had to be, so I shook off the surprise and put a smile on my face. Lily was already at the door, so I ran to catch up. Before she could open it, it burst open and almost hit Lilly.

"Oh my! Where have you been, child? You are over an hour late! I thought you were lost or dead, or taken! Never do that to me again." Lily was now staring at her shoes as her mother's light green eyes flamed with anger and fear.

"I am sorry miss Zontanos, it is my fault. She was helping me, for I was terribly lost. She helped me find my way, and I would most likely have died if not for her help." I bowed slightly and closed my eyes. I returned to a standing position and when I opened my eyes Lily was looking hopefully at her mother, her eyes were softer now as she seemed slightly puzzled.

"Could she stay here for one night, and tomorrow she can head off with Kip. She is a merchant in training and her previous master was killed by the Araki soldiers. All of the supplies were taken." It was a good idea except that I don't know if I can pretend to harbor that much hate for the Araki. Hopefully my nervousness seemed like fear to Lily's mother. "Mother, she is Kyma and simply wants to go home." Lily's eyes pleaded with her mother's and I let mine stay blank. I was hoping to portray shock so that I wouldn't have to attempt anger with my own people.

"I don't mind sleeping in the barn if you would prefer that." I added humbly, the truth is that I would rather sleep with Fidi. I always sleep better when he is near me.

"You are welcome in our home. Dinner is just now finished, please come join us." Miss Zontanos must be a very caring woman to let a stranger into her home. Not a single Araki would allow this. I would have been told to take it up with the Iget, and that is if I am Araki. If anyone from another tribe had asked to stay in an Araki house they would have been thrown out of our borders.

"You are so generous. Thank you." I bowed slightly once more and then followed Lily through the door. The table was set for two, but Miss Zontanos quickly remedied that by setting a place for me. I sat in the new place as Lily and her mother sat in their normal seats, with Miss Zontanos at the head of the table and Lily and I each on a side.

"So, my child. Lily says you are Kyma. You are a long way from home if that is true." Her eyes were soft, but demanding. It made sense, I would want to know more about a stranger in my home.

"Yes, Miss Zontanos, I am Kyma. I, however, have been away from home since I was young. I barely remember my home." I had been thinking of what to say since we arrived. I knew nothing of Kyma. This seemed to work.

"Call me Amy, please." Amy smiled and so did Lily. This was a pleasant place. It felt like family. "That is sad news, I have always had a place to call home. I do not know what I would have done without my home."

"It was not all bad. I have had the chance to meet a lot of fine people in my life, and since my parents died when I was young I had nowhere else to go." My lie was forming even more. With no family and no memories I wouldn't have to lie about a place I knew nothing about.

"My dear, that is terribly sad news. Would you like to stay here with us longer? You are welcome." Her soft brown eyes were staring straight at me. I wanted to say yes, but I was far too close to Araki nation to stay here. "Forgive me, but I do not know your name yet." a name! I hadn't thought of that, Luna was a fine first name but Pierce wouldn't do, for my father is too well known.

"My name is Luna Potami." I hope that I didn't choose some famous Kyma name.

"No offense but that is quite the common name in Kyma." Amy looked puzzled, "And, you have no live family?" Her gaze deeped even more as she looked at me.

"No one who had the means or intention to care for an orphan, however, leaving was the best thing for me anyway. I am not sad about my past. I can now have a fresh start." I pulled my shoulders back and tried to look brave, after all I was immensely nervous right now.

"I am glad that you look at it that way. Now, let's eat." Lily pulled the top off of the pot in front of us and the most delicious smell wafted out. Fidi would be jealous for sure. Lily served each person in silence and then they both closed their hands over their plates and made a silent prayer. I copied them but had no idea what was being said, for Araki did not pray. I need to ask Lily about this. After a while of silently moving their lips, they both said, "Agapi", unclasped their hands, and began eating. I followed as well as I could. I took any meat from my plate and I slipped it into my pockets, but only Amy was not looking. I ate the rest of my food slowly and then just as Amy was finishing her meal I asked if I could go out for some air before bed. Lily asked the same. We both walked in silence to the barn.

"Fidi. We've brought you a snack, it isn't much." He responded to my voice by showing himself and approaching me with gentle eyes. We both tossed the meat onto the ground. I was hoping that you were exaggerating. Thank Lily for me please. I knew he would be hungry in the morning, but this was better than nothing. "I am sorry bud. I wish I could have done more." he nuzzled me in response. "He thanks you Lily."

"It is the very least that I could do Fidi." Lily smiled softly.

"We should head inside Lily, goodnight Fidi." his eyes turned towards me and I heard him; goodnight Luna. Lily and I turned to leave and I felt Fidi's eyes on me until we were out the door. Once we were under the stars I decided I needed to ask about the prayer. "Lily."

"Yes?" She was looking distractedly at the sky. The stars were truly gorgeous tonight. I didn't know why, but all of a sudden I got extremely nervous. What if she thought less of me because I was so ignorant. Why did Araki have to be so self righteous? "What's wrong?" She was now staring at me and seemed to have forgotten the stars.

"I..." I took a deep breath and it all spilled out at once, "have no idea what the prayer was about you two said before dinner. I have never prayed before." Lily just chuckled a little.

"Don't worry about it, all that we do is thank Theos for all that we do have, and sometimes we will humbly ask for something that we need. Tonight I asked that he assist you in your travels and thanked him for the food on the table. We end the prayer with Agapi, it means love in the ancient tongue." I couldn't believe how understanding she was.

"Thank you for helping me with that, and for being so understanding." She put one hand on my arm and looked into my eyes.

"I will always be there for you Luna." Without another word we went into the house.

Amy had already set up a bed on the floor for me next to the dining area. I thanked her and said goodnight to Lily. I collapsed into the pile of blankets. I couldn't seem to get comfortable. After what felt like hours of tossing and turning I finally got up and climbed out the window next to my makeshift bed and made my way to Fidi. Creeping into the barn, I saw him curled up in the back corner. He was already watching me. Could you not sleep?

"Not a wink." He lifted one wing and welcomed me into his embrace. I fell asleep instantly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.4K 2K 34
My name is Mya I am 18 and me and my family can control the elements. My mum can control water, my dad fire and then theres me... I can control water...
909 96 34
Hi! This will be my first book ever and I'm really nervous... but luckily I got over my fears and decided to post my first story on Wattpad with all...
879 32 15
All I wanted was to help. I didn't expect to discover a world of non-humans. I have enough to juggle between going through medical school and work to...
2.4K 173 47
"Go Ëthia! Get out of here!" He yelled at me. I quickly looked around to see if there was anything that could get us out of this situation, there had...