Storm of Starlight, ACOTAR

By nicbelles

"Her wings are made of starlight." In which a mortal girl and an immortal Illyrian are gifted neighboring cel... More

𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑹𝑴 𝑶𝑭 𝑺𝑻𝑨𝑹𝑳𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻.
𝑷𝑹𝑶𝑳𝑶𝑼𝑮𝑬.
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑶𝑵𝑬.
⁰¹, A NEW NEIGHBOR
⁰², TURNING IN THE TRIALS
⁰³, IN THE SHADOWS
⁰⁴, THE GUILT OF A SURVIVOR
⁰⁵, THE ANSWER IS LOVE
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑻𝑾𝑶.
⁰⁷, THE SECOND STAR
⁰⁸, SECRET KEEPER
⁰⁹, TRAINING STARTS TOMORROW
¹⁰, HER BROKEN WINGS
¹¹, THE INVITATION
¹², THE HIGH LORD'S OFFICE
¹³, BACK TO SPRING

⁰⁶, THE CITY OF STARLIGHT

4K 203 10
By nicbelles

𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐌 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓.
chapter six; The City Of Starlight
" Can we really go home, Rhys? "

IT WAS SILENT. For the first time in a long time, the silence uneased Nixie. Even though Rhys hadn't left her side, even though she was no longer in a cell, it set her on edge, lifted every hair on her arms.

Her tormenter was dead. Gone. This reality felt far away, but what didn't was the guilt.

It suffocated Nixie.

"Come along," Rhys urged quietly, "One last thing, Nixie."

She obliged, allowing the man to help her out of the chair she had occupied, almost carrying her through endless, twisting corridors.

Nixie felt tears brimming as she breathed in the cool, crisp air. She couldn't help but sniffle as Rhys gently lowered her into a new seat, the woman soaking in what it felt like to be outside.

Her eyes stung from the sun, her skin prickled in the wind, but Nixie didn't focus on the pain, she focused on being out from Under the Mountain.

Feyre joined them, making light conversation with Rhysand. He wanted to say goodbye, he claimed, and she kindly reminded him of their bargain.

Though, Feyre figured it couldn't be so bad if it meant she got to see Nixie once in a while.

"Be glad of your human heart, Feyre," Rhysand spoke, "Pity those who don't feel anything at all."

Feyre nodded shortly, eyes unable to stay away from the woman, hunched into herself. She took a short step, before crouching to meet Nixie's eyes.

For a moment, Feyre felt like Nixie understood what it was to have this endless, un-fillable hole in one's heart.

"Thank you, Feyre," Nixie spoke before Feyre could. "I will repay you, one day."

Feyre just shook her head, eyes welling with unshed tears.

Perhaps it was destiny, or it was simply that human heart, breaking for a caged woman.

"You already did," Feyre said with the ghost of a smile, "We're even."

Nixie nodded, her own tears haunting her eyes as she pursed her lips together.

"Well, goodbye for now," Rhys said as Feyre straightened and took a step back from the two.

Rhys extended a slender hand, forcing his emotions down as he stared at Nixie, her wings the only security.

"Let's go home."

Nixie's eyes lifted, the tiniest speckle of hope dancing with pricking tears. She dared to reach her hand out, allowing Rhys to pull her up, her wings weighing her down-- knees buckled but her High Lord kept her steady, wrapping a gentle arm around her waist to carry the weight she couldn't.

And for just a flicker, Feyre truly believed Rhys wasn't as bad as he wanted others to think he was. How could he be? Holding up the fragile woman that held gentle conversations through their cells, holding the weight of her body that Nixie couldn't.

"Can we?" Nixie questioned in a broken voice, "Can we really go home, Rhys?"

And it took everything left for Rhys not to break down. Neither of them had believed they'd return to the Court of Dreams, but seeing the girl-- the one who had become his sister-- so hopeless that she doubted these words, it broke him.

So Rhys just pulled her closer, casting a final glance to Feyre, one that changed everything, before the duo disappeared into crisp, thin air.

☽ ☾

They landed with a loud thud. Rhys apologized profusely as Nixie groaned, curling into herself in pain.

"I want to go home, Rhys," Nixie dared to argue, her pain clear as she made no movement to rise from the cold, harsh, tile floor. "Not here--"

"I know, Nin, I know," Rhys soothed, "I just needed a moment, I--"

"Take me home, Rhys, please take me--!"

Rhys reached out, attempting to force any sort of soothing into her blocked off mind-- but the cries worsened. She was wailing. Reaching out for the stars she had so longed for those fifty years in the dark.

And Rhys grabbed her hand and, again, they disappeared.

This time, the duo landed staggering, in the place they called home.

And Nixie's wales turned into silent tears, the woman pulled herself up, a dark puddle rising from the floor, and dared to walk to the door.

"Nix, I don't think--"

"I want to see my parents," Nixie whispered, hand on the doorknob, "Please, Rhys, I--"

"Okay," Rhys nodded, approaching her quickly, "Let me help you, please?"

She obliged, allowing the man to hook an arm around her waist, the duo hobbling through Velaris towards the familiar gray townhome. And it was Nixie who knocked three times, before returning to Rhys's safety.

And then the door opened, and behind it stood a breathless, smiling, tall man, who, at the sight, was overtaken with shock.

"Hi, Papa," Nixie spoke breathlessly as her father exited the house quickly, "I'm so sorry--"

"Shh, my darling, shh."

Preston quickly engulfed his daughter in a hug, taking the full weight Rhys had been supporting.

"Marilla!" He shouted, voice wavering, "She's home, our daughter--"

And just as quickly, a woman who mirrored Nixie's looks-- though her face was fuller, healthier-- engulfed her husband and child in a hug.

"Oh, lovey," Marilla cried, brushing her hand over Nixie's matted hair, "Oh, my darling."

And what broke Rhys, was Preston pulling away only to yank that man himself into a hug.

"Thank you," Preston said tightly, "Thank you, for taking care of her."

"I-- not even I could do that for you, and I will apologize for the rest--"

"None of this, Rhysand," The man breathed out, "She's alive. That's all we could ask for considering."

  And Rhys hugged back, only pulling away to face the women.

"Would you like to stay for dinner?" Marilla asked gently, her arm still holding a dazed Nixie into her side, "I'd like to take care of Nixie tonight."

"I would, but I believe our friends may be concerned," Rhys mumbled, making Nixie's eyes widen, "They were at the house when we arrived, but we left right away."

"Wait they're--"

"I'll come back to escort you home," Rhys spoke gently, reaching out to squeeze Nixie's hand, "Don't worry, Nin."

"You're not staying?"

"Would you like me to?"

"For a little while, please?" Nixie whispered, "Just until. . . I'm comfortable."

Rhysand obliged instantly. He seemed to be holding himself together just slightly better than Nixie, as he attempted to help Marilla and Preston around the home in anyway he could; he eventually settled for assisting Preston in the kitchen while Marilla drew Nixie a bath.

"I'll be right here when you're done," Rhysand assured Nixie gently after spotting her discomfort, "You're safe, Nixie."

So, she tried to believe him. This was her childhood home, after all, if there was anywhere she should feel safe, it was here.

But fifty years didn't disappear in an instant, and Nixie knew the brief calm she felt would only remain temporary.

( AUTHOR'S NOTE. )
act two baby!! and everybody
gets to meet Nixie's parents!
truly the sweetest people
ever <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.3K 4K 63
♡ - ❛ you're the 𝒎𝒐𝒐𝒏, she's the 𝒔𝒖𝒏, and i'm just another 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓. ❜ eris 𝒙 fem!oc 𝒙 azriel love triangle, enemies to lovers © old-moon
592K 22K 71
During the first war against Hybern 500 years in the past, the daughter of the night court journeys through the difficult life of being a female warr...
5.3K 435 11
❛ this is the story of a girl, named elina. and it starts, with the sun. ❜ feysand x fem!reader ...
10.2K 635 65
Sequel to A Court of Secrets and Moonlight ~ They gave each other all they had left, leaving their celestial bodies and becoming one within that shin...