The Life of A Victor || Finni...

By Alex_Novas

❝Welcome to hell! Tell me, how does it feel to be Snow's new puppets?❞ ➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳ A Victor's child is pro... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
EPILOGUE
🅁🄴🅆🅁🄸🅃🄴 🄽🄾🅃🄸🄲🄴

CHAPTER 19

4K 127 23
By Alex_Novas

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

It was nighttime, and everyone was either in the living room or in their own chambers. Dove's mother and Ohan had allowed her to do a brief tour alone through the tower. And the roof was her first stop. She wanted to breathe fresh air after that morning's stress.

The view of the Capitol was mesmerising. The light was everywhere, and the noises never stopped. Cars, people, televisions. . . Nothing was like in her home. Even though she was from a Career District, they weren't the richest. Of course, it was much better than other districts like Eleven or Twelve.

Looking at the edge, she wondered why would they let her up here unsupervised. What if she or any of the tributes jumped to the side?

"There's a force field that pushes back anyone who tries to jump. That's why they let you up here alone." Dove knew that voice perfectly. Turning around, she met Finnick's eyes, who had a playful grin on his face.

"Well. Hello again, stalker." She joked. Finnick always appeared whenever she needed him, or just popped out of nowhere randomly.

"It doesn't look much like home, huh?" He asked rhetorically. "Come on, I'll show you the garden," he added. Dove followed him until she found herself staring at flower beds and potted trees. That was the garden.

Finnick guided her to a tree, motioning her to sit with him under it. The wind was loud enough to not let anyone hear them talking.

"Melo just questioned me about what's going on between you and me. I told him I barely know you or talk to you, but he didn't seem convinced. I think he's going to interrogate you as well. Good luck." The situation was getting complicated. "Do you think we should tell him about why Snow lets us meet. . . and everything else?" Finnick added.

"No, it will only get him in danger. And President Snow clearly stated he wanted to tell them himself. I guess he'll be telling you sooner or later. We really haven't been too careful." Dove replied. They had to do something about the situation quickly.

If her brother had noticed, her mother would do too. Maybe even Mags. She couldn't put so many people in danger. Angel! Dove thought. Her sister would be with Muscida during the Games. But staying at a Victor's house hadn't helped Dove during Melo's tour.

"Dove! You're hyperventilating." Finnick caught her attention. She tried to slow her breath, but her anxiety got the best of her. "Dove, look at me. OK. Now, a deep breath in, and a deep breath out."

As she mimicked him, her breathing became steady again. Finnick always helped her when she suffered from panic attacks, and now she wasn't used to calming them by herself. She would have to be careful in the Arena to not get one of those.

"I'm OK, I'm OK," Dove repeated that constantly after her panic attacks. It was a way of reassuring both Finnick and herself.

"Of course you are. How about we go to sleep? You'll feel better after that." The topic change was needed, but it wasn't effective at that moment. Dove was way too deep into her thoughts to hear him. Many probabilities filled her mind, but one was more powerful than the others.

"What if I die in the Arena?" Dove muttered. "What?" Finnick replied, hoping he had heard wrong.

"If I die in the Arena, he has to keep Angel safe. There won't be anyone else to threaten all of you with. He can't kill her and let you refuse his deal. As long as I die, he'll have to keep her alive. . ." Finnick looked at her, frightened. Not long ago, Dove had confessed to him she was afraid to die, and now she herself was telling him that.

"Dove. . ." he was speechless. What could he tell her? Her assumption was probably correct, and as long as it was true, she wouldn't discard the idea. Finnick knew she wouldn't do something that would endanger anyone she loved. In his eyes, Dove was an amazing person, which didn't deserve anything she was going through.

"Is there anything I can say or do to make you want to survive?" Dove wasn't expecting to hear that question. It seemed she kept underestimating Finnick's character, even now that they were supposed to be close. Why is he so sweet to me when I'm selfishly considering dying? She wondered as she looked at him.

"Finnick. . . No one needs me. Angel is more necessary in my family than I am. There's no need for me to go back if I'm only going to be a burden." Finnick's worry only got worse as she kept talking. Since when had Dove started to have such destructive thoughts?

"I do. I need you," he stated. "You. . . You promised me you would fight in exchange for me to protect your family. So you better fight. . .Come back to me," the words surprised her. It was the first time she heard anyone had told her that. Finnick needed her around. Maybe it was just not to have nightmares again, but she didn't care. 

He needs me alive. Dove repeated in her mind. "I know I promised. And I'll come back alive for you and my family." The words escaped her mouth before she had the time to think about it. Finnick relaxed, tears threatening to leave his eyes. She felt horrible for being the reason he was in that state.

"Let's go to sleep." Dove got up and followed Finnick to her room. Once they were inside, he almost threw himself onto the bed. Slowly, she laid next to him. They fell asleep hugging each other, but that night, it wasn't as peaceful for Finnick as it usually was.

It wasn't morning yet when he woke up screaming. In his nightmare, he watched Dove inside the Arena. She was struggling to survive all alone. Then, out of nowhere, she took her knife and stared at it before killing herself. She had given up on making it back, and refused to be killed by any other tribute.

But she was still there, next to him. She was breathing slowly as she slept peacefully. "You're OK," he muttered, laying again next to her. Strands of her hair brushed against her face, and the corners of her mouth were slightly upwards. Whatever she was dreaming about, it was good.

Finnick didn't know why he was constantly worrying about her. Or why every time she smiled, he did too. Melo's questioning had given him an idea. Love. People did say that love could make anyone do stupid things. And he was for sure doing something stupid.

The exact moment Dove had told him about President Snow's deal, he should have walked away. It would have been the best for both of them. And yet, there they were, giving him easy game material.

As he stared at her, he felt relieved he had done something stupid. If he hadn't been there for her, or if she hadn't said it at loud, would she have kept the dying plan on? He would never know, and he was happy he wouldn't.

Dove's hair suddenly became brighter. Dawn was breaking. It was his cue to leave the room. He didn't want to, not after what she had told him. Finnick was afraid that if he left her alone, she would think about it again. And he wouldn't be there to stop her.

The door opened, revealing an Avox girl with the training outfit for Dove. She didn't realise Finnick's presence until she turned to leave. He got a finger in front of his mouth, motioning her not to wake Dove up. The Avox nodded and left the room quietly.

"Dove, dawn's breaking. I've got to go. Will you be alright on your own?" Dove sat up, still half asleep, and nodded. "Morning," she muttered.

"Morning to you too," he chuckled. "Come on, go get a shower. Your training outfit is right there. Wear it to breakfast, OK?" she nodded again. Too tired to utter any words. Once Finnick was gone, she did as he had told her and took a shower.

She hadn't bothered to bring her clothes to the bathroom, so she had to wrap a towel around herself. She got her wet hair into a side braid and got out to the bathroom to get her outfit and get changed.

As Dove looked at herself in the mirror, she was surprised. All her life, she had worn pretty dresses and occasionally fancy trousers. But she always had to look perfect, as any Victor's child should. But now, she wasn't. She wore tight black trousers, a long-sleeved burgundy tunic and leather shoes.

It looked like what a person going hunting would wear. She was no longer a Victor's child. In front of her, it stood Dove. Her last name was no longer significant. She was a tribute. She was finally herself, just when she was about to go to the Games.

That's a hell of a timing. She thought. Letting her hair go momentarily, she glanced at her reflection again. Only a young and ordinary child to be seen. The Capitol, The Hunger Games, even President Snow had taken that from her. She could never be a normal child, not even before her brother's games.

She wanted to go outside, meet her district partner, and show him her strength. Show everybody she was more than a piece in their games. She wasn't the mermaid goddess, or however the Capitol had nicknamed her.

Even if she got herself killed, she didn't mind. But she had promised Finnick to come back. For some reason, he needed her. And she would survive for him. That was why she had to continue being the perfect pawn.

For how much longer? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?. . . The rest of my life? She guessed it would be as long as she had someone to protect. Was Finnick one of them? Yes. Yes, he was. Dove wondered why she was so desperate to protect him, if the odds were already in his favour.

"A calm and composed sea creature who sacrificed everything for love." Ohan's words echoed in her mind. Was she in love with Finnick? Would she sacrifice everything for him? Even if it meant giving up her life and everything she knew, just like the mermaid of the tale?

Dove shook her head. It wasn't the time to consider things like that. Love wasn't the priority now. Survival was. If she won the Games, she would worry about her feelings. But, until then, she would keep them at the back of her mind.

She went to the dining room, where she expected to find food. And it wasn't disappointing. She grabbed as much as she thought she could eat and sat down, eating as she looked at the sunrise through the window. It was a peaceful time. Her mother and Mags entered the room, bidding her good morning, and filled their plates.

"Let's talk about training." Her mother spoke up. Dove looked at her, expecting her to continue and explain the plan.

"You're ill, and can't do much physically," her mother started saying. "But you know how to keep yourself alive. If you can make nets to hunt, or if you find water, you could fish. Mags has also taught you the edible and poisonous berries, so you're good in that aspect."

"So what do I do? After all, I was indiscreetly told not to practise with weapons by my caring district partner." Dove asked with a bitter chuckle.

"Make allies. I don't care who, but make some. You'll need them," her mother replied. Allies. She had never thought of playing that game. What happened if they were victorious in surviving the last tributes? She would have to kill them. Still, it was obvious she wouldn't survive without one if she had to keep up the illness play.

"OK. I will look around today and join a few people," she replied. The door of the dining room opened, revealing the two victors and her fellow tribute.

Everyone sat and ate their meal. "OK, we have to decide what to do for training. Do you want to be coached separately?" Dove didn't reply to Finnick's question. She wanted her partner to decide. She couldn't care less about it.

"What good would come from being coached separately? It's not like there's much to hide." Her partner said while staring at her. Very subtle. She thought.

"OK. Then tell us your strengths. We'll decide your strategy from what you tell us," Melo told them. Everyone acted as if they would support both of them equally. Contrary to last year, Dove didn't feel bad for her partner.

"Well, my plan is obvious. I'll practice weapons and join the rest of Careers," her partner said.

"OK, but what are you good with? We need more than that," Finnick spoke up. He saw himself on the boy, but he didn't pity him. He was being terrible to Dove and even refused any advice from his mentors. His arrogant behaviour was becoming too much.

"Obviously, I'm good with tridents. I don't need anything else," the boy replied. Dove felt happy knowing that thanks to his stupidity, she wouldn't have to kill him herself. He would die before they reached the eight left.

The meal continued as expected. Everyone recommended her to practise survival. And, occasionally, Dove saw from the corner of her eye her district partner, smirking mockingly.

Thankfully, the time for the training came quickly. Before she knew it, she was listening to Atalas, the head trainer. She explained to all the tributes, the rules, and the different stations there were at their disposal.

Once they were released, Dove went to the knot station. She wanted to stand there while evaluating the other tributes. There had been an obvious division between those who had given up on fighting and those who lingered to hope.

She looked around at those on the survival part. They would be the safest options as allies. Her eyes landed on the boy from Twelve, who was walking to the station she was currently on.

She let him space next to her, and continued with the knots. Occasionally looking at the trident station. From time to time, she watched discreetly what he was doing, only to find him eyeing with envy the tributes in the archery station, his district partner in between those. Only the archery station. He was hiding his speciality, just like her.

"So you're good with a bow?" Dove asked him, to which he flinched. She didn't know what had startled him, the question or that a person from Four was speaking to someone from Twelve.

"And you're good with a trident?" he asked with a smirk. She wasn't the only one paying attention.

"Allies?" she asked, hoping the boy would accept. No one would suspect from an alliance between a pitiful, ill girl and a person from Twelve. "Allies." He replied.

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 178 29
ೃ༄ 𝐊𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐏𝐒𝐈𝐀 🔱🌊˚◞♡ ﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌ * ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ☁️ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐲, training the kids from your district, as a...
19.8K 542 52
❝Who are you? Who 𝘢𝘮 I?❞ ✑✑✑✑ All tributes know when and how they get in the Arena. The Victor, however, never knows when or how they get out. Not...
272 33 8
"Maybe it's been years since I genuinely smiled. Maybe it's been years since I wanted to be apart of anything." Dexter Lowhill, District Elevens sixt...
155K 3K 70
When Reef, a young girl from District Four, thinks she'll make it through her last year of the reaping, finds that she was unsuccessful. She had been...