No Way To Escape | Novel

By Sobhan11

GENRE:- Mystery-Horror-Thriller A city of dreams, as it is deemed, Reynburg has been a happy-hunting ground f... More

PREFACE
CHAPTER 1: THE PARTY
CHAPTER 2: A VISIT TO THE WARWICK'S
CHAPTER 3: LARRY
CHAPTER 4: THE SEARCH
CHAPTER 5: FOUND
CHAPTER 6: THE SINISTER BEGINS
CHAPTER 7: DAWN
CHAPTER 8: NIGHTMARE
CHAPTER 9: THE SMELL
CHAPTER 10: VOICE
CHAPTER 11: DR. EASTWOOD
CHAPTER 12: SILHOUETTE
CHAPTER 13: THOUGHTS
CHAPTER 14: LUNATIC
CHAPTER 15: FRED
CHAPTER 16: INTERROGATION
CHAPTER 17: AT DINNER
CHAPTER 18: LARRY
CHAPTER 19: BACK AT THE WARWICK'S
CHAPTER 20: AT THE MORTUARY
CHAPTER 21: AT LARRY'S
CHAPTER 22: EULOGY
CHAPTER 23: "IT'S YOU"
CHAPTER 24: DISBELIEVE
CHAPTER 25: AT OFFICE
CHAPTER 26: A NASTY MORNING
CHAPTER 27: GUESTS
CHAPTER 28: TIME OUT WITH RICK
CHAPTER 29: THE EVIL COMES BACK
CHAPTER 30: THE TREPIDATION
CHAPTER 31: HOPE AND FEAR
CHAPTER 32: BACK HOME
CHAPTER 33: IN THE WOODS
CHAPTER 34: THE UNCANNY TRIP
CHAPTER 35: PARTING
CHAPTER 36: MEETING HIM
CHAPTER 37: FATHER RICHARD
CHAPTER 38: THE REVELATION
CHAPTER 39: AFFLICTION
CHAPTER 40: EDWARD-I
CHAPTER 41: EDWARD-II
CHAPTER 42: EDWARD-III
CHAPTER 43: PRELUDE TO THE CULMINATION
CHAPTER 44: THE HOMICIDE
CHAPTER 45: 'PUNISH ME'
CHAPTER 46: BANISHMENT
CHAPTER 47: A NEW HOPE
CHAPTER 48: THE TRUE IDENTITY
CHAPTER 49: THE DOCUMENTS
CHAPTER 50: 'SIR'
CHAPTER 51: IN THE ATTIC
CHAPTER 53: SILVER
CHAPTER 54: SETTING UP
CHAPTER 55: THE POLTERGEIST ASSAULT
CHAPTER 56: DOMINATION
CHAPTER 57: SUBMISSION
CHAPTER 58: THE DREAM
CHAPTER 59: 'FEAR IS THE FODDER'
CHAPTER 60: THE RITUAL
CHAPTER 61: 'IS IT GONE?'
CHAPTER 62: THE EPILOGUE
AUTHOR'S NOTE

CHAPTER 52: THE REMEDY

36 24 6
By Sobhan11

It will be an insult to this case if I ever forget about it. It's not that we had not tried to bring it up to the public's eye; we were never supported by the Church. And later, it all faded. Only the rumors are what which prevail now. We were asked to keep our mouth shut. It will take us to nothing but widespread chaos and commotion, they said.

While Mr. Frank was successful in doing it till his death, I am still trying to keep it to me; and it hurts real bad! – when you know there's a beast unleashed but you are neither allowed to do anything about it nor you can tell anyone. You just have to witness men die and keep quiet.

But there's this hope. I don't know if this note is ever going to be read by someone but if I can't tell anyone about it, I shall write it. Atleast that is all in my hands. I know there are minimal hopes of someone reaching it. Now I am seventy-one. I don't even know if I am gonna die after writing this. But I want to write it before I die.

I remember we had been spying Edward Warwick for a week then. That was the time when the anti-religious movements were there in their peak. Mr. Frank, as I used to call him fondly, was our prime leader against them. Reports were being circulated that there were a group of blasphemes who were trapping innocent people in their words and were turning them against the Church or were trying to make them believe in Satanism. I was given the task by Mr. Frank to have a look around the region of Southern Reynburg.

One day I got informed about some people smuggling books about Satanism into the area. I followed them. It was when I saw Edward for the first time – buying those books from them. I followed him too and found out he was living at The Warwick's. I informed about it to Mr. Frank and he told me to hold my stand and spy on him while he took up the work of my teachings. I was a new and young Clergy back then – assisted to Mr. Frank. I hadn't started my official preaching yet so I was one of his main men in the silent war against the blasphemes.

That day I noticed Edward in pain and agony as I saw him with those two mysterious men. It was the day we finally got the proofs against the men and got them arrested. We hadn't yet got any idea about what Edward was going to do that night. It was only after the interrogation by the police, they admitted of having given Edward a pistol. Me and Mr. Frank – we rushed to The Warwick's but when we reached there, it was already too late. Edward had already murdered his family and was then possessed by the Devil's men. It took a heavy effort from Mr. Frank to exorcise him. But containing such a huge force wasn't easy. He banished him ultimately – both Edward and the monsters – to that very house where the homicide was committed.

No wonder how strong the Devil's men were! It was all the manifestation of the oceanic human mind. In this case, Edward's mind. Not only he was a strong medium; his search for resilience in hope of Satanism had crazily driven him to insanity; and profound belief. He not only believed in Satanism; he was certain it was the only way out. He had been brain-washed. So badly. There was nothing left within him. The body was void and the mind... taken.

With the spirits gone, what we could see before us were the dead corpses of  the Warwick family. The police came in soon after some minutes. Mr. Frank and I were sitting by the stairs, having multiple wounds - Mr. Frank's being serious.

The neighbors had all gathered around the place. After we got ourselves bandaged, we got to know that the local Church had declined to engrave Edward in their cemetery. They feared that burying the body of Edward in a Christian cemetery may be a jeopardy to their religion because prior to his death he had been converted to a Satanist. A medium for the evil.

It was all ridiculous for me as a young man, if you ask me; even though I am a Catholic, and then, a Clergy. But now... I am not sure. What we did then was we buried him, and all the murdered family members, in the backyard with the help of some neighbors. Mr. Frank stood by me then. The bite on his head had swollen big with an enormous clot. He was holding it with his handkerchief. His face looked horrible with the wounds and scars. He had to be hospitalized for half a month and the stitches took long to recover. The mansion got closed since then but became a bait for potential buyers.

What I forgot to mention here is that – In order to contain Edward, we got his, alongwith the monsters' spirits, tied to a coin. Yes, a silver coin. The totem of Warwick Horror, I like to call it. The spell was flawed and compromised and this coin was the only barrier between the real world and the dark one. I never saw the coin again through my eyes; and I used to feel silently fortunate about it. Because anyone who saw it... He or she died. But it also baffled me when I saw it catching its prey.

It was not intended though. I don't even know how it was found out. We hadn't hidden it there, but we didn't find it again when we got there. It had vanished. And then it must have reappeared – before the very next buyers of The Warwick's. All I know is that they never got the chance to move in. The man who bought it from the state – he visited the place twice; once alone and then with his two daughters. What I later found out was that the whole family committed suicide one night – by poisoning themselves while dining. And from then on a series of nasty suicides started... For whoever who visited the cursed site.

I don't know what happened. I don't know how it all started. But I was certain – Edward was now free. But it took me some more time and deaths to realize that he was not granted full freedom. His hands were tied. The spell had finally worked partially. His soul has remained ever attached to the coin as anyone who visited the mansion and got the coin – he only died. And if the totem was shared... Then all of its beholders. This coin was his medium. And it was his bait to lure anyone. The shine of the silver – it never faded; nor did Edward's power. It has been gaining strength slowly, by feeding upon its victims. It lures them, makes use of their weakness, possesses them and then ultimately tricks them to death. 

The monsters were sent down for the glory of the Satan and what they needed was an apt physical medium which they got in Edward's form. Now, if it were not for Mr. Frank, Christ knows how disastrous the pain inflicted by them would have been. Now they are just trapped in there; piling on the misery of their victims. Feeding themselves with the souls of the people they got. The Warwick's has already claimed for around 16 deaths since the first one(according to formal reports). If they are not checked soon, we don't know if by gaining strength from the victims, one day they will become an unstoppable force who will break free onto the planet. They have a strong medium now and there's just one thing that can help counter it – 'Determination'. It's not easy to contain them again unless someone is determined enough to do so with an equally sane and wise mind. 

It's not that I never tried to do something. The twelfth victim – he was a child, nine years old. His mother claimed that he had been to The Warwick's about a fortnight ago when he was flying his paper plane and with a spontaneous wind it flew itself to the porch of the cursed mansion. When he returned, he had that coin in his hand.

He was found lying dead on his bed, with his neck snapped and his tongue out on the morning of his demise. A murder is what the police claimed and the mother was remanded as there was no one else in the house. The boy's father had been in the Army for a year or so.

The coin was never found after. His mother also complained that he was upset and was telling her that he used to dream of a small girl every night who tried to harm him. This makes me believe that the monsters, using their powers, have even got hold of the other three family members and are using all of them for their benefit. Thus, it seems that the small girl was Ruth Warwick and the whole Warwick family is under the siege of the monsters. 

When the boy died, it just enraged me. I wanted to finish it myself. I wanted to face them and kill them once and for all. Infuriated, I rushed to the mansion and tried my best to shift the curse upon me. I was looking for the coin but it was not to be found. I started searching for it desperately all around the house, but in no avail. I shrieked, yelled and screamed at them but they didn't let me get the coin. That's what they are afraid of – determination. A brain with profound will. The weaker you are, mentally, the sooner they get you. I returned back from the mansion, filled with rage and contempt.  

Mr. Frank and I were the only two men who knew about it and now that he is dead, I am the only one left for the remedy now. It's difficult to say if I am right in my assumptions or not; but I think 'fire' is the key to his demolition here. I am still not sure. He doesn't seem to have any personal weakness. All we have is the silver coin – in which the root of the spirits is confined. To destroy a tree, you need to uproot it. And that's perhaps the case here too. The immense purity of fire is the only thing which can destroy the impure jinx.

The problem which lies here is – the availability. When is it one can get the coin? When it's with someone. Only the one who gets in – he gets cursed with it and then the coin is with him only; till he dies. The coin is never found again until it gets its next victim. So the only feasible period during which one can get rid of it is when the victim is known and at the same time the victim knows about the coin. But he has to be handsomely aware of the situation. It's not absolutely certain that only by putting the coin on fire, the curse will be undone. It's a very complicated and most important of all  – a hypothetical procedure which should be done with extreme caution. 

Now, one will wonder – Who's this old man, who knows so much about the coin? Well... I am the one, till now, who has run the longest research on The Warwick's; and only the second man after Mr. Frank.

I just really wish this note is founded by someone – more importantly – by the victim, sorry. But that's all. The only way.

I pray the curse is eradicated soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 6.8K 74
The demon - he only liked one thing shedding blood of people, enjoying to make them suffer. Enjoying to see them dead but until he meet this girl. So...
65.7K 3.3K 25
BOOK TWO- Male Reader Version After being fired from the Sanitarium, the slashers were determined to be with you again. Breaking out, they travelled...
512K 17.9K 37
BOOK 1 C O M P L E T E D U N D E R E D I T I N G I quickly ran into a random room and locked the door behind me. Breathing heavy Sweating Scared "...
398K 12.1K 51
UNEDITED/poorly written when I was younger (needs severe editing) "Becky, I'm scared! Someone's following me and I don't think I can make it home! Pl...