๐†๐€๐Œ๐„ ๐Ž๐… ๐’๐”๐‘๐•๐ˆ๐•๐€๏ฟฝ...

By carme1awrites

๐™‚๐˜ผ๐™ˆ๐™€ ๐™Š๐™ ๐™Ž๐™๐™๐™‘๐™„๐™‘๐˜ผ๐™‡ โœ โซ โ”€โ”€โ”€ โ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™ค'๐™จ ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™จ๐™๐™–๐™™๐™ค๐™ฌ๐™จ โž ' ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ธ... More

game of survival
extra casting
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
thank you.
THAT WONT SAVE US

08

1.7K 44 10
By carme1awrites

.* ゚

G    A    M    E         O    F
S    U     R     V     I     V     A     L

· 。゚

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

i'm a survivor
i'm not gonna give up
i'm not gonna stop
i'm gonna work harder
i'm gonna make it
i will survive

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

chapter eight
surviving the mall

.·:*¨༺ ★ ༻¨*:·.

       THE GROUP ran through the dark desert shielding their eyes from the windy sand. Rosie held onto Newt's hand as they followed the rest. Everyone ran as quick as they could away from the facility that was opening their doors in search for their runaways. The three girls ran right behind the group of friends fearing for their lives as they knew that if they get caught, their lives would end here.

       Newt felt himself being led by Rosie as she followed Minho who was in the front. They hastened up the mountain of sand as Thomas hurried them, "alright come on, keep going! Go! Go! We'll loose them in the storm!"

        Jess panted lost for air as the group kept running not stopping to look behind them. Her hand flew to her chest as she stopped abruptly shaking her head. Samadhi turned around noticing Jessie had stopped about to tumble down to the ground.

       "Rosie!" Mara called out noticing Jess had fallen to her knees. Samadhi was already at Jessie's side trying to help her get back up to her feet.

        Rosie had turned around halting in her steps stopping Newt who was holding onto her hand. Newt let go of Rosie putting his hands up to the sides of his mouth as he yelled for the rest, "Tommy! Minho! Stop!"

       The gladers turned around to figure out what was the reason for Newt to make them stop. Mara was on Jessie's other side trying her best to help her up but the curly headed girl had no energy to keep going. The two friends struggled to help their friend through the sand. Rosie ran to the three girls as the rest of the gladers rushed back to see how they could help the three girls.

       Minho and Newt where the first to reach them as Rosie took the backpack off Jessie's back putting it on herself. "Take this." Minho spoke to Newt as he handed him the backpack he took from the WICKED compound. "I can carry her."

       Mara and Samadhi turned to each other as they knew they couldn't move through the sand without someone else's help. But they were also hesitant handing their friend over to a stranger they hadn't met.

      "I'm okay," a quiet voice let out as Jess spoke still out of breath. "I can walk."

       They all knew she couldn't go on by herself. "Fine." Mara stated pointing a finger at the strong Minho. "But I swear to my life I will cut your throat if you even try to hurt her."

       Rosie shook her head as Minho glanced over to her swallowing a bit uncomfortable from the threat. "I can promise you, she's in good hands." Rosie explained looking over their shoulders noticing WICKED soldiers were getting closer. "Come on, we have to keep going."

       Mara and Samadhi helped Jess up on Minho's back as they started to run reaching the rest of the gladers. Jess could feel her tears starting to form as she didn't want this specific scenario to happen. The one where she'd feel like deadweight.

      The group stopped a few minutes after to hide behind a hill. Jess had sat down quietly thanking Minho who nodded with a soft, "no problem."

       Samadhi had crouched down next to her grabbing her arm trying to find a pulse with her two fingers. The girl counted the amount of beats she could feel in fifteen seconds reassuring Jess and herself that her pulse was at a normal rate considering the run. Everyone laid on their stomachs peeking through the top of the hill to see how far the soldiers were.

"They're getting closer." Winston informed next to Rosie as they shared a brief encouraging smile.

"We need to keep moving." Frypan advised to Thomas as the boy watched the soldiers on their bikes searching for them.

The boy nodded agreeing with Frypan before turning to look over at Jessie. "Are you able to keep going?"

Jessie turned to the young boy knowing he probably didn't remember who she was. But she knew him. "Yeah. I think I've rested enough."

"Are you sure?" Rosie questioned squeezed in between Newt and Winston. "Because we can wait a little bit more or someone can help you."

The curly headed girl shook her head, "that's alright, I can do it myself."

Thomas gave her a small smile before patting the boy next to him, "okay, come on, let's go. Make sure to stay low! Stay low!"

The group crawled down the hill to make sure the soldiers didn't get a view of them. Teresa getting the first down the hill, she didn't wait for the rest to get down. Rosie is the first to notice Teresa sprinting away from them.

"Teresa!" Rosie calls after her as Thomas turned realizing Teresa had kept running. The girl questioned Teresa's motive thinking she was trying to get away from them.

Thomas ran to her hoping that the Gladers followed him. "Teresa! Hang on! We gotta stay together!"

The two girls made sure Jessie was capable of running by herself as they ran to catch up to the group. "I think we lost them." Winston yelled through the storm.

"Let's go! Come on!" Thomas exclaimed slipping almost tumbling down.

"Watch out." Minho insisted following Teresa who was yards away from them. "Where are we even going?"

Newt stayed close to Rosie not wanting to get her out of his eyesight feeling guilty for the abuse she endured inside the compound. He wanted to keep her safe and out of danger but he felt she was always the one to keep him out of danger. The majority of times he wanted to be her hero and protect her from the cruel world.

It took him a while to realize that she didn't need him for protection. She didn't need any man to protect her. Rosie could protect herself. Newt struggled with this new idea because a lot of the times he found himself being protected by her. Not the other way around.

He wasn't the hero. She was.

The group reached Teresa who was at an entrance to a dark building. "Come on!" Teresa stated entering in the dark building.

"Teresa!" Minho exclaimed trying to grab her but was too late as she had entered in. "Don't go in there!"

"Get down here!" Teresa yelled from the inside as the rest of the group looked around for a different option.

Minho was hesitant but the second to go in before Rosie and Newt who went in after him. "Get inside! Get inside!" Thomas exclaimed making sure all of the group followed suit.

Rosie slid down the sand hill as Minho grabbed the flashlight inside the backpack he had. He flashed it around the room as the three girls had just slid down the hill. The lighting from the flashlight was able to capture Rosie's bruises for a brief second which was seen by Newt.

"Where the hell are we?" Minho questioned as he handed Rosie an extra flashlight as she turned it on.

Newt didn't know what to focus on. He didn't know if to help the rest figure out where they were or question Rosie more about the interrogation.

"We gotta go." Thomas demanded everyone motioning with his hands to follow him as the Gladers started to follow him before being stopped by Teresa.

"No." She interjected causing everyone to stop walking.

Thomas shook his head repeating himself, "we gotta go!"

Teresa raised her voice stopping Thomas from walking any further as Newt grabbed ahold of Rosie stopping her. The two latched onto each other linking their arms together. "No, Thomas stop! Tell me what's going on."

The boy walked back to her to explain the situation. "It's WICKED." Thomas revealed. "It's WICKED. They lied to us. We never escaped. Me, Aris, Rosie and Mara," Thomas motions to the girl with the light brown hair almost blonde and green eyes. Teresa turned to glance over to her as Thomas continued, "we found bodies. Too many to count."

       Minho turned to him frightened, "what do you mean? Dead bodies?"

       "No, but they weren't alive either." Thomas shook his head confusing the group of friends. "They had them strung up with Tubes coming out of them. They were, they were being drained. There's something inside of us that wicked wants. Something in our blood. So we have to get away as far as possible."

         Everyone stayed quiet silently agreeing to follow Thomas. "Okay, so what's the plan?" Newt asked lifting his eyebrow noticing Thomas' silent response. Rosie turned to glance over at the three girls wondering if to tell the Gladers about the Right Arm. "You do have a plan right?"

      Rosie watched Winston move away from the conversation. "Yeah, I don't know." Thomas replied honestly.

       The British boy raised his eyebrows in devastation as he started to rant, "well, we followed you out here, Thomas! And, now you're saying you have no idea where we are going or what we are doing?" 

      Newt turned to Rosie hoping she was thinking the same as him. "Is he for real?" Newt muttered under his breath running his fingers through his hair frustrated. Rosie rubbed his arm for support trying to calm him down.

       The youngest of them all, Aris, interjected, "wait, Janson said something about people hiding in the mountains. Like some resistance or an army."

        "The Right Arm!" Thomas responded repeating himself, "the Right Arm. If they're really against WICKED then maybe they can help us."

       "People," Newt gritted his teeth annoyed, "in the mountains?" The boy looked back and forth Aris and Thomas, "mountain people? That's your plan?"

        Thomas shrugged his shoulders knowing the plan sounded ridiculous. "It's the only chance we have." Thomas rationalized before being saved by the three girls.

      Newt rubbed his face with his hand before turning to the three girls who spoke up. "They're an army who rescue people like us." Mara butted in grabbing everyone's attention, "they're who we were going to."

       Frypan grinned walking over to them asking full of hope, "so you can take us? You guys know where it is?"

        Samadhi shook her head looking through the backpack that Rosie gave back to them, "they don't have a specific place to find them. They're known to relocate very quickly. We don't find them, they find us."

        "Hey guys!" Winston interrupted the conversation, "check this out, Minho give me a light."

        The group walked over to where Winston was kneeled. "What's going on?"

       Winston guided the group of friends with his finger pointing at the footsteps ahead of them. "Someone's been down here."

       The group stared at the dark abyss before being brought back to the present moment by a noise behind them. The Gladers turned around to see Samadhi taking a knife out of her boot that had made unnecessary noise. Mara and Jess had their knives out as well.

       "What?" Samadhi questioned them, "better to be safe than dead. Your girl is also prepared."

       The boys turned to look at Rosie who also had a knife in her hand. Newt raised his eyebrow up not recognizing that knife. He could see the letter J peeking out from her grasp. The boy initially thought it belonged to Jessie until he glanced towards the knife that Jess was holding. Newt took notice of the carving spelling out jess. So he wondered who did the knife Rosie was holding belonged to.

         "Stay close." Thomas demanded as the group followed Minho who led the way with the flashlight. Newt wanted to hold Rosie's hand but noticed both of her hands were occupied. One held a flashlight and the other held a knife for protection.

        The group walked around looking through the halls skimming through the abandoned building. Minho flashed the light through a see through garage door noticing the useful materials. "Come on! Open it up!" Minho stated as Frypan and Winston helped lifted up.

       The sound of what seemed a coin falling caught Rosie's attention before entering in where the rest of the gladers were. Rosie looked around with her flashlight pointing it further down knowing it came from that way.  The girl had a bad feeling about this place but shrugged it off once Winston was calling for her.

       "Looks like people lived here." Winston spoke looking around the room.

       Newt stared at the items ahead of him as he asked the boy, "where are they now?"

        Everyone stayed quiet taking in Newt's question as they all thought about the different possibilities. "Let's pack some of this stuff up. Anything you thinking you might need. We'll split up. See what else we can find. We'll meet back here."

        "Wait, Thomas," Newt handed him a flashlight.

      Thomas smiled before turning it on, "Come on, let's go."

Rosie looked around the room putting her knife away before grabbing a backpack from the dusty ground and emptying it out on a table in front of her. She skimmed through the items grabbing whatever she thought would be useful.

        "Here." Mara spoke grabbing Rosie's attention by handing her an empty dark red canteen she had found. "I suggest you fill it with the water in the left gallon. It's the cleanest of the rest. The other ones have some dirt in it."

"Oh, thanks." Rosie replied not being able to say much as Newt approached the two girls standing on the other side of his girlfriend.

Newt grabbed a hold of the canteen asking, "you want me to fill it for you?"

Rosie raised her left eyebrow up in curiosity as she slowly nodded, "sure. Fill it with the gallon on the left. Please."

Newt nodded walking away with the canteen to fill with water. Mara pursed her lips watching the boy get farther away. The boy had this weird inkling when it came to Mara specifically. She felt like some sort of sneaky threat.

"I came to thank you." Mara began fiddling with her fingers as she wasn't very good at thanking people.

"For what?" Rosie asked packing a few bandages and a notepad.

"For not leaving us behind." She answered looking up from her hands to face Rosie. "I really thought you and your friends would leave us in the storm."

Mara rubbed the back of her neck as Rosie flashed her a small smile, "I wouldn't leave you guys behind. Especially not after you helped me escape. I should be thanking you."

         The green-eyed girl didn't know but her pupils had dilated enjoying the brief conversation with Rosie. Newt had watched them from afar noticing little details especially Mara unintentionally mirroring his girlfriend's body language. The boy didn't know what to do as thoughts came through his head about having to deal with another possible threat to their relationship. Especially since this one was a girl.

        Newt scratched the back of his head as he walked back to the two girls. "Here, love." Newt stated placing the canteen on the table next to the backpack Rosie found.

"Alright, I'm going to go find the girls." Mara spoke understanding that Newt wanted time with his girlfriend. Her hand briefly squeezed Rosie's shoulder before walking away.

        "You fancy a lil chat, my love?" Newt asked as he rocked back and forth on his feet watching Rosie pack the canteen inside the backpack.

       Rosie glanced up at the boy who had been wanting to speak to her the moment he saw her back inside the compound. The boy had stopped rocking himself back and forth straightening up and started to feel guilty for all of the cuts and bruises on her face. His left hand trailed up to her side of the face as she replied with a soft, "yeah, you alright?"

        "You mind if I help you clean up?" Newt motioned to her face with his hand as he avoided her question.

The girl brought her hand up to her face almost forgetting that she had cuts and bruises forming on her face until he mentioned it. She hadn't seen herself yet. Rosie looked down to the ground shaking her head. "I don't mind."

The pair walked further ahead finding a few rags inside a plastic bag. Newt grabbed a container of water placing it on the table next to the chair Rosie sat on. The two remained alone far from the rest. Before the boy started, he kissed the top of his girlfriend's head. He didn't want to question her about what she went through if she didn't want to talk about it. Newt didn't want to pressure her but at the same time he wanted to know why was she so important that WICKED wanted to get rid of her.

      "How's the arm?"

       Rosie raised her eyebrow realizing she hadn't felt much pain after Malakai injected her. "It doesn't hurt anymore." Rosie replied cutting open the bandage for Newt to inspect.

       "My love, it looks like it's healing quickly." Newt responded wondering how fast her infection was healing. "What'd you do?"

        The girl explained to him about the injection Malakai gave her specifically for her wound. "He said it's temporary so it most likely will come back. That's one of his experiments he hasn't shared with WICKED."

Newt nodded and tilted Rosie's chin up to get a better look at her face and the evidence of the beating she endured. He dipped a rag into the container of water before gently cleaning the streak of blood by her temple. Rosie could feel his shaky hand clean her cuts.

        After a brief silent pause, Rosie could feel her heart skip a nervous beat as Newt looked at her dead in the eyes. His voice quiet and tense, Newt's anger barely restrained, "why, you?"

       Rosie shrugged her shoulders not knowing how to answer his question. The girl shut her eyes closed remembering about a dream she had inside the facility. "I think I did something before the maze."

       "What do you mean?" Newt asked his tone calmer as he figured it was best to not get mad over problems Rosie didn't start.

The boy continued to clean the blood but was stopped as Rosie grabbed a hold of his wrist to get his attention before dropping it a few seconds later to avoid eye contact. "Newt, I need you to promise me that you won't think of me differently if I tell you."

       Newt crouched down to eye-level as his hands came up to caress her cheeks. "Rosie, we've been over this anything you say won't change my mind."

       The girl let out a small laugh before shaking her head knowing deep down that if she told him what truly was going through her mind, he would think of her differently. "Never mind. Maybe it's for the best I don't tell you."

"Why?" He questioned

"Because I know you." Rosie muttered getting up from the chair still avoiding eye-contact, "you would look at me differently."

Newt's hands flew up to her face, his hands almost trembling, "Rosie, I won't judge you for things you've done in your past to survive. It was necessary."

      Rosie reached for his hand pressing her lips momentarily on it before talking, "I'll tell you when I'm ready."

       ROSIE HEADED OFF by herself finding a police jacket she liked and decided to go look for the other girls. Her flashlight guided her way through the darkness as she looked at the abandoned materials. Guilt consumed her once again as Ander's death replayed in her mind over and over again. It was always either him or Gally. She hadn't had time to mourn them two specifically.

And all she wanted was to be in their embrace one last time.

To be sharing a hut with the most annoying yet most caring best friend a person could have ever asked for. The type who was always there for her no matter what. She missed his entire being. From the loud snores in the early mornings to the delicious meals to the midnight conversations. The way he risked himself to save her life. Rosie replayed the memory again and again. The blade that went through his chest and dragged him away from her.

She couldn't save Ander.

She couldn't save Gally.

She couldn't save Chuck.

Zart.

Jimmy.

Alby.

Ben.

Rosie could feel her eyes turn watery as she looked around hoping no one was near her. The girl dropped to the floor, her hand covering her mouth as she didn't want anyone to hear her cry. She didn't want to feel so weak. So worthless.

      Times like these she wondered what the hell she was still doing fighting. Was it really worth it to keep going? All of the people that have died trying, will it be worth it at the end? Will she truly ever find peace when all these people she loved died for her?

        Her lip trembled as the tears ran down her face because all she really wanted was for Gally to be by her side and tell her everything was going to be alright. She could imagine him saying, don't worry little one. you're safe with me.

        Rosie wanted his comfort. The warm feeling he always gave her making her feel so safe in his arms when he'd hug her. And Rosie cried harder knowing she'll never have that ever again. She'll never see Gally again. She'll never get to see Ander again.

        She'll never get to see them smile again.

         Rosie catched her breath remembering that it wasn't a good time to let herself cry. She needed to be focused and figure out what the hell they were going to do. Rosie lifted herself up from the ground wiping away the tears making sure to put a façade on. The girl took a few deep breaths before continuing her walk.

       "I need you to look at me, Samadhi." Rosie could hear Mara say from a distance. "I can't have you dissociate as well. I can't do this by myself."

       Rosie jogged over following Mara's voice to guide her. Jessie was on one side of an abandoned cot fully asleep as Samadhi tried to bring herself back. "What's going on?" Rosie asked getting the attention of Mara.

       Mara glanced behind herself spotting Rosie. The girl was slightly scared not knowing what was inside the building. Samadhi had already warned Jess and Mara that the whole group weren't the only ones inside the building. She just didn't know what she could sense really was.

"Sorry, Sam's just out of it again." Mara muttered as Rosie walked over to her asking her if she wanted any help. "No, it's just WICKED trying to take control."

The girl raised her eyebrow at Mara in curiosity, "what do you mean they're trying to take control of her? She's not some robot. How would they get control over her?"

Mara sighed when she glanced at Rosie as she needed to explain Samadhi's situation. "Samadhi's their favorite test subject, Rosie. Anything you think they haven't tested on her, they've probably have done it. They've heightened her senses but have also increased her paranoia."

Jessie had woken up hearing the conversation between the two girls. "It's hard for her to differentiate what's real and what's fake at times." Jessie added in before sitting up to rub her eyes. "That's how they're controlling her. When she's in these stages she remembers hazy things like the facility and thinks it's a safe place."

       "Someone else is here."

       Rosie looked back at Samadhi as she stared at the darkness ahead of her. Mara glanced to Jess before turning her attention back to Samadhi. "Yeah, Rosie's here—"

       The girl shook her head, "no. Someone else is here."

"Sweet," Mara spoke tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, "no one besides us are here. Look it's me, Jess, Rosie and you."

        Samadhi blinked a few times as she counted out loud pointing to each of them, "one, two, three, four," and stopped counting before turning to her right and pointed, "five."

       The three girls looked at one another before Rosie took out her knife as she headed over to inspect where Samadhi pointed. "Jess grab your backpack. Samadhi put yours on too." Mara demanded helping Sam put her backpack on.

       Rosie could feel her heart thumping faster every second she walked closer. She could hear a quiet sound but couldn't quite figure out what it was. Her flashlight tried to get a good look before Rosie tripped on something emitting a quiet growl from underneath her.

       The girl pointed her flashlight to the ground revealing a german shepherd. For a second Rosie thought the growl came from the dog until she made sure to scan the light around the dog noticing half of its body was missing. She moved her flashlight wanting to figure out where the growl came from and spotted the other half of the dog a few feet away with something attached to it.

       "What the!" Rosie screeched taking steps back with her eyes widen watching a person eat the dead dog's intestines. "Jess—"

        Before Rosie could say anything more, Mara came up behind her covering her mouth with her hand. She shushed the girl whispering in her ear, "don't make a sound."

        The lights from the building turned on one by one revealing what was among the four girls. "Holy fuck—" Jess covered her own mouth standing up from the cot making sure she had everything packed up.

The girl's eyes widen once she sees her canteen rolling off the cot. Jessie tried stopping the canteen from reaching the ground but was too late grabbing it after clashing to the floor and making a loud sound. The person attached to the dog looked up.

A loud screeching growl left it's lips before standing up charging towards Mara and Rosie. Before it could come close to them, Samadhi stuck her knife in between the person's shoulder blades making it fall to the ground. Soon after the girl placed her shoe on its neck putting enough pressure for it to stop breathing.

"What was that?" Rosie questioned wide eyed pointing at the dead body on the ground.

"They call it a crank." Samadhi explained taking the knife out of the person's shoulder blades. "They're far more dangerous than a Griever."

"We have to go!" Jess exclaimed looking around the hallways as the sound of running footsteps was heard from a distance.

"The lights are on," Mara informed as she made sure she had everything they needed. "It won't take long for this place to be invaded by them."

A screech from a few yards away was heard causing the four girls to turn spotting approximately four dozens of cranks arriving through the right entrance. Rosie's eyes widen as she felt her arm being pulled the opposite way of where the cranks were coming from.

"Come on!" Mara yelled pulling Rosie with her as Samadhi and Jess were ahead of them.

The girls run the opposite way trying to outrun the multiple cranks following them. Rosie could hear the distant yells from Thomas and Minho. "Run! Run!" It seemed as if they were on the other side of the building.

"Where the hell are your friends!?" Mara exclaimed as they went through different rooms to find the rest of the gladers.

Rosie couldn't show it but she was starting to panic. She didn't have any control about the situation. She didn't know what she was truly running away from. She had no clue where Newt was or where the rest of her friends were. All she knew was she was running away from mutated humans.

The girl's feet were tired from the constant running but hearing Thomas and Minho's voice more closer gave her more hope and adrenaline. "Hey! Run!" Thomas yelled at the group standing in the middle of the building wondering what the screams were about.

Newt turned with the rest noticing Thomas and Minho running away. His first thought was Rosie and why she wasn't by his side. Luckily for him, Rosie and the three girls appeared through one side catching up with Minho and Thomas.

"Go!" Thomas shouted

Mara screamed at the group about to reach them, "what are y'all waiting for! Run!"

"Oh shit!"

The group of friends ran through the building and up the abandoned escalators trying to find a way out of there. All of them following Thomas who was in the front turning a left before abruptly stopping. Samadhi had reached for the weapon she had before Aris grabbed his bat swinging it and hitting the crank.

The body fell in between the group creating an unintentional divide. Rosie grabbed a hold of her knife wishing she had something more to defend herself with. The group looked around for different paths as Thomas yelled, "go around!"

Cranks ran through the passage the Gladers had just come from scaring the friends. Rosie pulled Winston behind her as a crank tried to scratch him. "Go!" Rosie exclaimed, "Come on!"

The group rush to the other side trying to dodge whatever crank came at them. Frypan screamed as one came at him at a turn. The boy had been too stunned as he tried to push it off him. Before the crank could do any harm Mara had stuck her knife into the side of the crank's neck making it drop to the ground.

Frypan smiled happy that he was still alive as he thanked the girl. "Thanks!"

The girl flashed the boy a half smile before replying, "no worries."

Samadhi rolled her eyes before pushing them, "stop flirting and go!"

Rosie's eyes widened turning a corner that went up the escalators. From the corner of her eye, the girl could see the cranks catching up as she threw her knife not thinking about the direction it went. Minho felt his breath get caught in his throat when a knife flew past his shoulder. The boy turned around noticing a crank falling on the ground with a knife in the middle of its forehead as he pushed away another one. Not giving a second thought, Minho pulled out the knife out of the crank's forehead quickly catching up with the rest.

"Where are we going!?"

"We have to find a way out of here!"

The group run through the second or third floor of the building searching for an exit. Rosie followed the boys in the front trusting that they'll find somewhere safe to go. The sound of glass breaking grabbed everyone's attention as they turned back to look at what caused it.

       Rosie's eyes widened as she didn't hesitate to rush over as Newt was on the floor trying to stop a crank from biting him. Her chest felt heavy as she was far from him but Thomas was close enough to kick the crank away.

"Newt, you good?"

Thomas helps Newt up on his two feet as they notice the cranks getting closer. "Yeah, thanks Tommy."

"Come on guys! Through here! Through here!" Minho exclaimed finding a pathway the friends could go through.

"Get us out of here, Thomas!" The pathway was small and almost every door the gladers tried to open were locked. Thomas reached an accessible door they needed to use force to open. Minho and Thomas started pushing through trying to bust the lock open.

"I'll hold them back!" Winston stated turning around grabbing the gun he stole from the WICKED compound.

The sound of the first gunshot grabbed Rosie's attention realizing the boy was using an actual deadly weapon. "Holy fuck! Do you even know how to use that?!" Rosie questioned loudly wanting to take the gun away from his hands.

Winston ignored the girl frightened that the cranks kept getting closer. "Get the door open!"

"Go Frypan! Let's go!" Minho exclaimed as Frypan was able to bust the door open with his body. Newt made sure to grab ahold of Rosie before running out of the hallway with her.

The girl turned making sure everyone was out. Rosie's eyes widened when a crank threw themselves at the back of Winston's grabbing a hold of his backpack and dropping him to the ground. The girl rushed trying to grab a hold of the boy as the cranks tried pulling him back.

Samadhi pushed through being in the center trying to grab ahold of him by his chest as Rosie grabbed the knife in Samadhi's pocket. The girl made sure to aim at the crank's hands as they started to scratch into the boy's stomach. Newt and Frypan are able to pull Winston out putting his arms around their shoulders to carry him.

Samadhi stood up before feeling a hand grab onto her shoulder trying to pull her in. Rosie helps the girl not realizing the crank's nails had carved into the back of Samadhi's shoulder in time before she was able to get it off.

"Go! Go! Go!"

The rest of the gladers run as Thomas and Minho stay back to hold the door shut as long as they could. Rosie sprints catching up with the rest as she could hear Thomas and Minho, "Let's go! Let's go!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 3.5K 28
{Completed} One day while out running in the Maze you come across two mysterious boys who take you on something you had only dreamed about... an esca...
323K 10.3K 23
[the maze runner] i've been lost. but as i find him again, it feels like such a relief. a fresh breath of air. peace, at last. [newt x male!oc]
29.4K 1.4K 17
When you come back, you will not be you. And I will not be me. (Completed, Editing) Book One - ??? The Maze Runner / Thomas ยฉBOYSROT, 2023
558K 12.4K 69
"๐ข ๐›๐ž๐ญ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐›๐ž ๐ฌ๐ž๐ž๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐Ÿ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ, ๐๐š๐ซ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐ ." ๐ข๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก ๐ญ๐ฐ๐จ ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž๐ญ๐ž ๐จ๐ฉ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฌ๐ข๐ญ๐ž๐ฌ ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž ๏ฟฝ...