A Fox Surrounded in Darkness...

By kindheartedshutin

The Madrigals aren't the only family to be blessed with a gift in their Encanto. There is a second family nam... More

Character info
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Not a chapter
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Not a chapter
Chapter 9
Update-not a chapter
Chapter 10- The Rose-Red Tyrant
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Not a chapter
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Not a Chapter
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20- The Usurper from the Wilds
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Questions for the readers
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27- Beanfest
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30- The Merchant from the Depths
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Life update
Jump Scares
Chapter 36- Camp Vargas I
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40- Terror is Trending
Chapter 41- Camp Vargas II
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44- Terror is Trending (cont.)
Not a chapter
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47- Spectral Soiree
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50 (April Fools')
Chapter 50
Chapter 51

Chapter 3

2.9K 96 17
By kindheartedshutin

Your pov...

Italics- thoughts

Mr. Crowley and I were sitting in the library looking through a table full of books. He had asked me a bunch of questions about the Encanto and questions about my Gift. I tried to answer all the questions to the best of my ability, but I'm starting to think that there is no information in any of the books.

"Just as I'd suspected. Nothing," Mr. Crowley says as he puts down the book he was looking through. "Not only is your homeland not listed on any map from any point in history. Now, are you QUITE sure that you come from such a place? That wasn't some sort of lie or jape? Because if so, the only explanation is that you've come from another planet. Or perhaps you were summoned here from another dimension?"

"I thought I told you this during the orientation. Since I have no idea what this place is or what 'magic' is, I already made the conclusion of being from another world," I sigh and place my head on the table. "Do you really not listen to a word I say?"

"Show me everything that you brought here with you," Mr. Crowley demands and I turn my head to look at him blankly. "Do you have some form of identification, a driver's license perhaps? Or even a.. shoe? You do seem a tad bit... empty-handed."

"Oh, you don't say," I mumbled. Man, for a headmaster he sure is pretty stupid.

"Well, this is quite the predicament. I cannot have someone with no aptitude for magic bumbling about my magic academy, who is a female nonetheless. And yet, as an educator, I am loath to expel a young female without a cent to her name, or any ability to contact her guardian..." Mr. Crowley paused his rambling to think. "Truly, my grace is boundless. There is a vacant building on this campus. It was, in fact, used as a dorm a long time ago. With a proper cleaning, it should be habitable enough. Out of the profound kindness of my heart, I will allow you to live there for the time being. In the meantime, we will investigate other ways to send you home. Dear me, but I am a gracious man indeed! A model educator, one might say."

"Why must you say such strange things, crow man," I groaned. Mr. Crowley got up from his chair and ushered me to do the same.

"Well, then I shall take you to your dorm straight away. It is an older building, but it has plenty of... character, one might say," Mr. Crowley chuckles. Great and he laughs at his one 'jokes'. What a strange man.

As we head to the abandoned dorm, I decided to ask as many questions as I could to Mr. Crowley to understand this place better. I had never been to a school, for my parents say that my Gift was too dangerous to be allowed to around other people. They didn't mind me being with the Madrigals cause if anything happened, they could just be healed by Julieta's cooking. While walking, I notice the area getting less well kept and before I realized it, we were in front of a run down building.

"Ummm... ¿quieres que me quede aquí?" I look up at the building in confusion.

"Parden me," Mr. Crowley questions. Ah, forgot that I can't be using Spanish here.

"Right, sorry. So, you want me to stay here," I ask again but in English.

"Isn't it delightful," Mr. Crowley beams. He pushes me inside the building as I try to fight him. "Right, scoot inside now. There you go."

The inside of the building wasn't as bad as the outside. There were some holes in the ceiling and walls, loose floorboards, and broken furniture, but there was nothing a little ice and flame couldn't fix.

"This should keep the elements at bay for the time being," Mr. Crowley turns to leave. "Now, I should return to my research. Do try to find some way to busy yourself. But don't let me catch you wandering the campus! Ta!" So he's gone now. I look around the dorm to decide where to start cleaning first. Walking around, I find a huge room that seemed to be a bedroom. Guess, I'll start here.

"Now time to clean... FROZEN TUNDRA," I shout and ice covers the entire room. The ice starts to patch up holes in the walls and ceiling, and fixes the floor. As much as the think my Gift is dangerous, it is really useful for cleaning. I send out some black ice to fix the furniture in the room and stabilize the whole building. I allow the ice to serve out of the room to cover and fix the rest of the dorm's inside. For lighting, I use my ice to make chandeliers and make candle flames to give of light. Once the chandelier is lit in the room, it starts to light snow in the room. I'm so claiming this as my bedroom. I walk out of the bedroom to look at the rest of the dorm, now covered in ice, to see the repairs that the ice made. I find a window and look out of it. Huh, it's raining. So glad I fixed the ceiling. No getting rained on today!

As I make my way to the dorm's lounging area, my ears pick up a voice from inside. "GWAH! It's pourin' out there!" There's no way! It sounds like that cat from orientation.  I enter the lounge with a pissed off look and clear my throat to get the cat's attention.

"Bwahaha! That look on your face is priceless! Like a bat that got blasted by a water gun," the cat snickered.

"What are you doing here," I questioned. "Didn't you get kicked of campus?"

"As if i wouldn't just sneak back onto campus the second I escaped pryin' eyes. You all got no idea what I'm capable of," the cat smirked. "I ain't givin' up on goin' here just 'cause I got kicked out one measly ol' time. And if you think otherwise, you don't know Grim!"

"Me gustaría que el Señor Crowley te comiera para cenar," I sighed, then got an idea. "SECURITY!! SECURITY!! The cat came back and is begging to be tomorrow's dinner!"

"Hey! No! Bad human! BAD HUMAN," Grim shrieked. "Ain't you gonna ask what I'm doin' here? That's what you people do, right? Talk about feelings and stuff?"

"Huh? You people?! Talk it out?! Are you kidding me right now," I scream, pacing the room.

"Just what kinda human are ya, anyway? It wouldn't kill ya to listen to me! Right," Grim sobbed. I turned to look at him and he was in a corner growing mushrooms. Can cats even do that?

I sighed and took a deep breath, "fine... Why are you so determined to go to this school? Not like I care to begin with."

"Isn't it obvious," Grim perked up. "I was born to do this! I'm a magical prodigy who's got the makin's to become one of the greatest mages who ever lived!"

"I'm sorry I ever asked," I groaned. "I rather not hear your sob story or any story about yourself. For someone so small, you sure are annoying."

"Hey, that's a mean thing to say," Grim cried.

"No one said I was nice," I replied. I turn to leave the room.

"At least wait till I'm done," Grim wailed.

"Fine," I huffed and moved to sit down on the couch. I waved my hand at Grim. "Go on, finish what you were going on about."

"So I've been waitin' and waitin' for the black carriage to come for me," Grim continued. "And yet... Hrmph! That Dark Mirror's got no eye for talent! That's why I took the initiative and came here myself."

"Oh, so you're done," I ask and get up. "Imma leave now, I believe you can see yourself out."

"Huh?! No!! You humans don't understand what a mistake you're makin'! Not lettin' me in is a great loss to the world!" Why won't this cat shut up? Is this how Antonio feels when he's constantly surrounded by animals? I know some of them are nice, but others could be just like this cat. "Also, I ain't leavin', it's pourin' out there."

"That ain't my problem," I snarl. "LEAVE!"

"If I leave now while it's still pourin', my flamin' ears are gonna go out. They are like my trademark, y'know?" This cat is way too persistent. I don't have any energy for this. Using ice, flame, and black ice multiple times in one day is very exhausting. "Hey, how come it ain't rainin' in here? It's not like you have any magic. Pffft! Man, you're useless."

"I may not have magic but my Gift will turn you into a cat popsicle if you keep talking," I snap. "I bet my Gift is a lot more useful and more powerful then your pathetic magic!" I walk out of the room, not bothering to listen to Grim yell at me. In the hallway, my ears perk up. Is something there? Did someone else besides Grim enter the building? In front of me, three ghosts appear and I scream. The ghosts laugh.

"We haven't had visitors in ages!"

"Oh, I'm just itchin' for new friends!"

"So we can see ghosts in this world," I mutter to myself. I try to think of a way to handle the ghost without using too much energy. "Umm... pardon me, gentleghosts. I was not aware that you all were here. Mr. Crowley had permitted me to stay here, I hope we can all get along."

"Ah, such a polite young lady," the first ghost says. "If the headmaster let you say here, then we shall help you with whatever you need."

"I like what you've done with the place," says the second ghost. "If I had any bones though,  I bet this place is really cold with all the ice."

"Thank you for the compliment," I shyly say. "I'm more accustomed to living in the cold, so I figured that since I'm staying here, why not get comfortable." Small footsteps come down the hallway.

"Hey, why did you leave me," Grim demanded, then he turned to look at the ghosts. "AAAAAH! GHOSTS! GHOOOOOSTS!"

"I am right here, you don't need to shout," I hiss, covering my ears. The ghosts look at Grim.

"All the people who used ta live here got scared of us and ran away," the second ghost sighs.

"We just want a new ghost to play with! What do you say buddy," asks the third ghost.

"You can have the cat," I grin, looking at the scared shitless cat. "I don't want him."

"Huh?! No way," Grim protests. "I'm a master sorcerer! I ain't afraid of any dumb ghosts!" Grim uses his flames to set the hallway on fire. I wish I had a phone, instead of calling Ghost Busters, I rather call animal control... or maybe I can find that 'Riddle' guy and have him put back on the collar thing. Mr. Crowley did say that he didn't want me wandering the campus, but I don't really wanna use my Gift anymore... Eh, I'll let Grim handle this himself, I mean he did just try to attack ghosts.

"Yeah, so I'm leaving," I say then start to walk away. I'm not worried about my ice since it's a lot more stronger that Grim's flames.

"Nuh-uh. Not even close," taunts the first ghost.

"Over here! Over here! Ah ha ha ha," the third ghost laughs.

"Argh! They keep disappearing and reappearing," Grim states. He sees me walking away. "Oi, human... Don't walk away, help me!"

"Why? You're the one who wanted to fight the ghosts," I stopped walking and looked back. "I just talked to the ghosts."

"HUH?! So you talk to the ghosts, but you didn't wanna talk to me," Grim questioned sadly.

"The ghosts didn't try to steal my clothes and burn me alive when I first met them," I say, bluntly. "Also, quit using your flames in here, your gonna get the dorm ablaze."

"Shaddup," Grim growled. "I don't need any lip from you, human!"

"So let me get this straight," I mutter and moved to sit against the wall. "You snuck into a prodigious school, tried to steal a uniform, demand to be enrolled in said school, set students on fire, get kicked out, sneak back in, and try demanding ME around, and now is fighting with ghosts. Man, you are so stupid. No wonder why the mirror wanted nothing to do with you!" I watched Grim as he kept trying to hit the ghosts with his flames from the sideline and laughed everything he missed.

"Myah...?! Hmph... I'm Grim, Master Sorcerer! How come I can't even hit one of these little—" Grim stopped mid sentence and screamed. The ghosts had appeared in front of him. Man this cat, he's funny and annoying at the same time. "Hrmph! Ganging up on me... Yer a buncha cowards!"

"Big talk for someone who screams like a little girl," I laugh.

"Quit yer laughin' and help me out," Grim pleaded.

"No way," I responded. "You started it, so you finish it."

"Human, at least tell me which way the ghosts are," Grim begged.

"Maybe if you didn't close you eyes, you wouldn't need my help," I sighed. I just wanna go to sleep.

⦕Small time skip...⦖

It took some time for Grim to 'defeat' the ghosts. He didn't actually beat the ghost, I just got tired of the shenanigans so I asked the ghost to leave for a little while.

"H-huh?! Did we... win," Grim asked.

"Yeah, you sure showed those ghosts whose boss," I yawn.

"Aw, geez, I was scarred outta my—" Grim stopped to compose himself. "I mean, they didn't faze me one bit! Just a walk in the park for a mage of my caliber! Whaddaya got to say now, ghosties? That's right!" Grim carried on for a few more minutes, until I heard footsteps. I stood up and shush Grim. He gave me an irritated look. The footsteps got closer.

"Good evening. In another gesture of my immense kindness, I have brought you dinner." Oh, so it was just Mr. Crowley. Shit, what's gonna happen when he spots Grim? "Wait. That's the creature we ejected for causing trouble at orientation! What is it doing here?!"

"I guess I have to explain, don't I," I sighed. "So Grim broke in again."

"Huh," Grim gasps. "I had a good reason."

"Uh-huh, keep telling yourself that," I reply to Grim and continue the explanation. Once I explained everything that had occurred, Mr. Crowley looked at Grim.

"But you know, on that topic, I do seem to recall that this dorm had a mischievous ghost problem," Mr. Crowley says. "Ah, yes... That's why it was abandoned, in fact. The ghosts scared away all the students. Y/n, you said all you had to do was talk to the ghosts, correct?"

"Yeah, they weren't that bad," I said. "I think I was able to make friends with them."

"Interesting indeed," Mr. Crowley pauses to think before continuing. "I have never heard of making friends with ghosts before. The school's history sure is changing with you being here."

"It seems like your school is filled with stuck-up assholes," I grumbled.

"What was that," Mr. Crowley questions.

"Nothing," I reply.

A/n-

Me gustaría que el Señor Crowley te comiera para cenar-- I wish Mr. Crowley ate you for dinner

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 2.9K 20
Camilo x Fem!Reader "You know...you don't always have to pretend to be someone you're not. There's nothing wrong with being who you really are." "Wh...
4.5K 131 49
𝐴 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦 𝑎𝑏𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑎 𝑔𝑖𝑟𝑙 𝑡𝒉𝑎𝑡 𝑔𝑜𝑡 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑜 𝑎 𝑑𝑖𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑢𝑛𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑓𝑒𝑙𝑙 𝑖𝑛 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒?... 𝑅𝑒𝑎𝑑 𝑡𝑜...
15.3K 369 70
Alerie Lewyn known by others yet forgotten, wakes up in the coffin at the prestigious school Night Raven College in Twisted Wonderland with no memory...
4.9K 106 19
"Gift or no Gift, you are just as special as you are like the rest of your families. Remember, always support and love for your families and each oth...