๐‹๐€ ๐‹๐€ ๐‹๐€๐๐ƒ, j. b...

By -kaywritess

โ–๐€๐‹๐‹ ๐€๐Œ๐„๐‘๐ˆ๐‚๐€๐ ๐จ๐จ๐จ. ๐—น๐—ฎ ๐—น๐—ฎ ๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ โช สฐแต‰สธ แต‡แตƒแต‡สธ, สทแตƒหขแต—แต‰ สธแต’แต˜สณ แต—โฑแตแต‰ สทโฑแต—สฐ แตแต‰ โฑโฟ แถœแตƒหกโฑแถ แต’สณโฟโฑแตƒ โซ ยทหš เผ˜โ˜†... More

LA LA LAND
PLAYLIST
EPIGRAPH
BACKGROUND
ACT ONE
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twenty one.
twenty two.
twenty three.
ACT TWO
twenty four.
twenty five.
twenty six.
twenty seven.
twenty eight.
twenty nine.
thirty.
thirty one.
thirty two.
thirty three.
thirty four.
thirty five.
thirty six.
thirty seven.
thirty eight.
thirty nine.
forty.
AUTHOR'S NOTE
book two

eight.

3.2K 52 7
By -kaywritess

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩ LA LA LAND ✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

❝ block party from hell. ❞

THE FURTHER BEVERLY GOT INTO THE FOOTBALL SEASON, THE MORE ON EDGE THEY BECAME. Everyone who attended Beverly, and even those who didn't, saw the potential for them to make the playoffs, only it didn't seem like it would happen. Beverly struggled yet another loss the week before, and now they were losing to Culver City, the last-place team in the division, meaning if they lost this game, they had absolutely no chance.

Riley was on the edge of her seat as she watched the game. Not only did that girl have to worry about them winning for the school but also themselves. Riley knew how the players would get if they returned home with no win, making it even more stressful for them to win the game. Then, as Riley witnessed Spencer run the ball down the field until he reached the 20 yard line, she knew they were in good hands.

The play was over, and Spencer walked away, removing his helmet and mouth guard as he sent questioning eyes to Olivia, causing her to shake her head sadly.

"What was that about?" Layla asked the Baker girl causing Riley to tune into the conversation.

"His friend Coop was supposed to bet here." Olivia told them as she moved a few strands of hair out of her face.

"Oh, well, too bad she missed it. He looks good today." Layla whispered the last part to Olivia, causing her to groan while Riley laughed.

"Don't."

"What?"

"The last time you tried to play matchmaker, I ended up in a hotter with my almost brother." Olivia told Layla.

"In Layla's defense, she didn't know, and the only reason why he was you 'almost' brother is because you're brother is an idiot." Riley told Olivia.

"See, he's not your brother." Layla said.

"We both know that you trying to set me up with Spencer is more about you than it is about me." Olivia explained.

Riley went to convince Olivia otherwise, but was cut off by Layla's father walking up to them.

"Hey, princess." he told Layla.

"Hey, dad, you made it." she said as she stood up to give him a hug.

"Mm. How do you feel?" he asked.

"Good." Layla said, ecstatically.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." she told him finally as she sat down.

"Hey." he motioned for Olivia and Riley.

"Hi." Olivia and Riley said in unison.

"Hi, how you doing?" the girl behind Layla's father asked Layla.

"Hey." Layla said as she gave her a hug. "This is Riley and Olivia- Oh! You're gonna sit here. Cool."

Riley sent Layla a questioning look, causing her to just shake her head, shrugging it off. Riley nodded as she turned her attention back to the game.

Riley watched the play start and Asher catch the ball, seconds later getting knocked down by on of the opposing players, earning a groan from the crowd.

"Adams and Baker seem to be on opposite sides of the play book today." the play by play announcer said, causing Riley to mutter a small 'you think?' in frustration.

Riley knew how badly Beverly needed this win to make it to the playoffs, and she also knew how badly they wanted to make it to the playoffs.

Riley had no clue why there was so much tension between the two boys, but there definitely was, and it was costing the whole team.

Riley watched the game with intent when she was torn away by a phone's ringtone. Riley gazed over at Olivia, then to Layla, and so on down the line.

"It's the publicist, I got to take this." Layla's father told Layla as he stood up from his seat.

"I'm gonna, heh, I'm gonna go too." the girl next to her father said, getting up and following him.

"Okay, who the hell is that?" Riley asked as soon as they were out of audible distance.

"That was China." Layla said.

"And China is..." Riley trailed off.

"My dad's new client, and his girlfriend." Layla told her friend, annoyed.

"Girlfriend?" Riley asked, surprised, causing Layla to nod.

"And I'm guessing by that face, you don't like her?" Olivia asked.

"No. It's - she's- she's fine." Layla struggled out.

"Layla, you almost choked while saying that." Riley told her friend.

"I don't know. It's weird." Layla said, "She's not even his type. She's nothing like..."

"Your mom?" Olivia finished for the Keating girl.

Layla said nothing as she licked her lips and turned her attention back tot eh game, to see Coach Baker in the middle of a huddle between Beverly.

For the last two seconds of the game, Riley was on the edge of her seat, watching as Jordan adjusted his gear before getting into position to start the play.

The ball was hiked and Jordan caught it, pretending to give it to Spencer before working his way across the field, he got ready to throw it before someone came charging after him, Riley watched as he dodged them and ran the ball down the field, scoring the winning touchdown.

As soon as the whistle blew, signaling the touch down was good, Riley jumped out of her seat in excitement that, not only, did Beverly win the game, but Jordan scored the winning touchdown. Riley was the first up out of the crowd, but soon the rest of the crowd stood up and cheered on there team, then out came the players to cheer on Jordan, minus Asher, who Riley noticed was angry walking across the field.

"They won!" Riley shouted over to Olivia, who just laughed at the girl.

"I think they know!" Olivia shouted back.

Riley just laughed as she turned her attention back to the field and watched as the team made their way into the locker room.

"I'm going to go meet Jordan by the locker room, but you guys are going out later right?" Riley asked Olivia and Layla.

"Yeah." Olivia told her.

Layla nodded, "Yeah, my dad wants to have dinner with Ash."

Riley let out a small chuckle, "Good luck with that."

Layla laughed as she waved the girl off, "Thanks."

Riley laughed again before waving her friends goodbye and making her way down he bleachers and toward the locker room.

Riley waited for what seemed like forever until the team eventually walked out of the locker room door, waving to Riley as she waited for her boyfriend, who was the last one out.

When Jordan walked out, he was over joyed by the win, and so was Riley. It didn't matter whether they won to the worst team in the division or not, because Riley was willing to congratulate Jordan any chance she got.

"Well, what do we have here?" Riley asked, earning the attention of her boyfriend, "Looks like my boyfriend, and the guy to scored the winning touchdown!"

Jordan laughed as Riley launched her self into his arms, jumping up and wrapping her arms around his neck while her legs wrapped around his waist, "I'm so freaking proud of you!" Riley cheered as she placed small kisses all over Jordan's face.

Jordan just stood there laughing as he held the girl up by her thighs, "Thank you." he said as he managed to capture her lips in a kiss, only for it to be interrupted by Coach Baker, walking out of the locker room, clearing his throat.

Jordan quickly let Riley go, allowing her to stand as she fixed her hair and her shirt, "Hey, Coach Baker." she waved, awkwardly.

"Hey, Riley." Coach Baker told her.

"See you at home, dad." Jordan called out to his father.

Riley and Jordan both watched Coach Baker leave the premises before Jordan bursted out in laughter, causing Riley to hit his shoulder, "Shut up."

"I'm sorry, but that was hilarious." Jordan managed out between laughs.

"I'm pretty sure your dad hates me now." Riley told her boyfriend.

"He could never hate you." Jordan told her as he picked up his bag from the ground and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, "I'm pretty sure he liksd you more than me sometimes."

"Ha, ha. Real funny." Riley told him as she grabbed his hand that was resting around her shoulder.

"Oh, no." Jordan told her, "I'm serious."

༻༺━━━━⁎∗.*.∗⁎━━━━༻༺

Riley had gone out with her friends that night to celebrate Beverly's win, and watch JJ complete the Muy Fuego Wing Challenge, which he couldn't stop raving about.

"Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!" Everyone called out to JJ as he downed a whole pitcher full of lemonade.

Riley just watched her friend as she shook her head, laughing to herself at the boy's nature. Riley loved JJ as a brother, he was always there for her and never failed to make her laugh. He was more of a brother to her, sometimes, than Asher was. "You are an idiot, JJ Parker!" Riley called out to the boy.

"Only for you, Riley Adams!" JJ called back, sarcastically.

"Alright, man. I love you, but back off." Jordan told his friend, causing Riley to laugh as she rolled her eyes.

"Jordan Baker, don't you know." she told him as she leaned up to wrap her arms around his neck, "You are the only one for me."

"I hope so." Jordan told her as he connected their lips into a sweet kiss, before Riley pulled away.

Jordan looked down at the girl confused, "I'm going to go see how Layla's doing, her dad was having dinner with her and Asher."

Jordan winced, "Good luck."

"Not me you should be saying that too. Parent's love me." Riley told him.

"Not my dad after today-" Jordan got cut off by Riley sending a slap to his chest.

"You said he was cool!" Riley shouted at the boy.

"Ri, I was kidding." he told her as he rubbed his chest.

Riley huffed as she rolled her eyes and walked away, "I hate you!"

"I love you too!"

"How's dinner going with Asher?" Riley asked Layla, who was sitting next to Olivia.

"Horrible. I'm convinced my dad likes Spencer more than Asher." Layla told her.

"Everyone likes Spencer, Layla." Riley told her as she took a seat.

"Your dad doesn't like me. I'm taking off." Asher said as he approached the three girls.

"Okay, see you at home" Riley said, sarcastically.

Asher sent her an annoyed look before turning back to Layla. "Leaving in your private jet?" she asked.

Riley let out an all-too-loud laugh, "We can barely pay our rent and you said we have a private jet."

Layla grabbed Asher's hand and pulled him away from his sister, turning back to send her a look.

Riley shrugged in response as she turned to Olivia. "I think Asher is having a rough day."

Olivia almost chocked on her drink, "You think?"

"He's just been-" Riley cut herself off as Asher stormed out of the restaurant, "He's just been pissing me off."

"Me too." Layla said, returning to her friends.

Riley nodded as she stood up again, "Well, I'm going to go meet your brother, but you two have fun."

"Bye, Ri." Olivia called out, "Don't get an STD!"

Riley turned around and flipped Olivia the bird, causing her to laugh before Riley turned back around, making her way over to her boyfriend, who was talking to a few members of his team.

"There you are." Jordan said as he wrapped his arm around his girlfriend's shoulder again.

"Hey." she said, softly.

Jordan gazed down at her, "You okay?"

"Asher." Riley deadpanned, "Asher's getting on my nerves again."

Jordan laughed slightly as he unwrapped his arm around her shoulder, "Mine too."

Riley tilted her head to the side, "Huh?"

"Just stuff went down during the game." Jordan told her.

"Oh," she said softly, "Wanna talk about it? We can form an 'Asher Is Pissing Us Off' club."

Jordan laughed slightly, "Nah, I just wanna get out of here." he whispered in the girl's ear.

Riley giggled, "As much as I would love that, I am way too scared of your father to go over to your place right now, and I don't want you and Asher to get into a fight."

Jordan groaned, "Seriously?"

Riley shook her head as she reached up to pat his cheek, "Suck it up, lover boy. You'll live."

Jordan just rolled his eyes as he leaned down to place a kiss to her lips, "I'll see you tomorrow?"

Riley shrugged, "Possibly." she said as she walked out, leaving Jordan wanting more.

༻༺━━━━⁎∗.*.∗⁎━━━━༻༺

Riley originally had plans to meet up with Jordan the next day, but when he called her and said his father was taking him and Asher out as punishment for almost losing the game, Riley called Olivia, and luckily enough for her she was going down to Crenshaw for the block party, the one that Spencer was kind enough to invite her to volunteer at.

"Hi." Olivia said to the teenager boy that approached them at the water stand, "Would you like a water?"

"I'm actually here to volunteer." he informed her, "You guys need any help?"

Riley smiled before turning to Olivia, "The more the merrier."

"We're really only doing this because it keeps us in the shade." Olivia told him.

The boy laughed, "Well, I didn't mean to blow your cover." he turned to a few water bottles, "Let me give you a hand, here."

the boy grabbed the water bottles as Riley sent Olivia a knowing look, "How y'all doin'?" the boy asked the two girl that made their way over to the stand.

"Hi." Riley waved toward one of the girl's, who gladly waved back.

"Y'all stay hydrated, okay?" the boy said finally.

Riley watched the way Olivia looked at the boy and eventually the boy turned to Riley, "Riley, right?"

"Uh, yeah, nice to meet you." Riley said as she stuck her hand out for him to shake.

The boy laughed, "Uh, I'm Chris, we met at the cookout, at Spencer's."

Riley thought about it for a moment before it finally clicked, "Oh, my god. I am so sorry."

Chris laughed, "It's all good."

"I'm really bad with putting names to faces." Riley told the boy.

Olivia laughed as she nodded, "It's true. She is."

Chris motioned in-between the two, "Y'all know each other?"

"Fortunately, she's my best friend, who also happens to be my boyfriend's sister." Riley said, causing Chris to nod.

"Where if your boy, anyway?" Chris asked.

"Hell if I knew." Riley told him.

Chris nodded again, "Well, I'm Chris." the boy said, sticking his hand out for Olivia.

"Olivia." she said with a smile as she took it.

Chris nodded as he looked out toward the party, making eye contact with Spencer. To which, Olivia noticed.

"You know each other?" Olivia repeated the boy's questions earlier.

"We used to play ball together." he told Olivia, causing her to nod, "I'm the QB at South Crenshaw."

Olivia turned to Riley, who just nodded, "Oh, so you really know Spencer."

Chris nodded, "Yeah." he said, dragging out the end of it, "But I didn't walk all the  way across this hot-ass park to talk about Spencer. I came to talk to the beautiful girl standing here in there shade."

Riley's mouth dropped as she nodded, "I'm gonna let you guys talk." she said as she stepped away slightly, causing Olivia to turn to her with as frantic look on her face. "I'm just gonna take this," Riley said, holding up a water bottle, "And, uh, dip." she pointed toward Spencer before walking toward them. Riley turned around toward Olivia to still see her gazing her was with a frantic look, only for Riley to send her a thumbs up and a wink.

Riley made her way over to Layla as she came up behind her and wrapped and arm around her shoulder, "How are you doing today, beautiful?" Riley asked with a smile on her face.

"You're in a cheery mood." Layla laughed at the girl.

"I think we just found Olivia her new boo-thang." Riley told Layla, causing her to get excited.

"Where?" Layla asked.

Riley pointed toward the waster stand she was just at. "One there. His name's Chris, I met him when me and Jordan came down for the cookout."

"He's cute." Layla told Riley.

Riley nodded, "I know, and he used to play football with Spencer."

Layla's eyes went wide, "What?"

"South Crenshaw's QB." Riley told her.

"We're trying to get Olivia with Spencer and you hook her up with Spencer's old QB?" Layla asked.

"I didn't do anything." Riley told Layla, putting her hands in the air, "We walked over there himself to say hi to the 'beautiful girl.'"

Layla's mouth dropped open again, "Really?"

Riley nodded while smiling. "So, why are you handing out in the middle of the hot-ass park?"

"We're waiting for Coop." Layla informed.

"Why?" Riley asked.

"She's supposed to perform with China." Layla said, lowly.

Riley tilted her head, just as she did the night before, "China's performing?"

Layla shook her head as she waved the Adams girl off. "Long story."

Riley nodded as her eyes scanned the park, meeting Spencer in a heated conversation with Coop and someone else, "Coop's here."

"Where?"

"Over there." Riley pointed, "But don't interrupt. It seems pretty serious."

Layla nodded, "Well, then, let's get this show on the road." Riley nodded as she followed Layla backstage until she met Spencer.

"You go in, I'll stay here, with Spence." Riley said as she turned to Spencer, who just nodded.

"What you doin' here?" Spencer asked Riley, "I though you couldn't come."

"Well, I was originally supposed to hang out with Jordan, then Jordan cancelled and so I came here with Olivia, then she got swifted off her feet by that boy Chris, then-" Riley started before getting cut off.

"Wait, hold up. Chris?" Spencer asked, "What's he doin' with Olivia?"

Riley shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know. We were working the water stand then he came over and is like 'let me help you' then called Olivia beautiful and I pretty much left after that."

Spencer said nothing as he nodded, watching as Coop got the crowd riled up for China. Spencer smiled brightly as she waved Riley over toward him while he made his way to Coop.

"That was dope." Spencer told Coop as he dabbed her up, "I told you, you was fly on that mic."

Coop smiled at Spencer before noticing Riley making her way over to them, "What's up, blondie?"

"Hey Coop." Riley said as she pulled her in for a hug.

"What you doin' here?" Coop asked her.

Riley shugged her shoulders as she unscrewed the lid to her water bottle, "Oh, you know, just came to show my support."

Coop nodded, "We're glad you're here."

Riley smiled, "Me too."

Coop turned toward Spencer again while she noticed his smile fall and he gazed over to something. "What's up?"

Spencer nodded toward J.P. and another person, who Riley recognized from Spencer and Coop's fight earlier, "He's getting real close to J.P."

Coop turned to the two, who were taking pictured, "He's just doin' his thing, man."

"It was supposed to be your thing." Spencer told Coop.

"I thought this was supposed to be a community thing." Coop said.

Noticing that this conversation was definitely something Riley shouldn't be apart of the started to make her way bak toward where her and Spencer stood, waiting for the show to start. Riley planned on staying there for a while until Spencer turned behind him and motioned for Riley to follow, and she happily obliged, following him around like a lost puppy.

Eventually they made it to back stage, where they were met with China, who was getting ready and Layla, who was chatting with her.

"Coop, you were incredible today." Layla told Coop as they walked over to them.

China nodded, agreeing, "Yeah, you really know how to rock a house. I mean, I should take you on tour with me."

"Hey, listen, all you got to do is say the word, Alvin gonna have a Coop-shaped hole in his barber shop, I'm telling you." Coop said, causing everyone to laugh.

"Wait, so Alvin from Alvin's kids got a barber shop?" Chine asked.

"Yeah, but wait, ain't you from here?" Coop asked, confused.

"Come on, you know I'm just playing with you." China said before pointing behind her, "I'm gonna go get dressed."

Coop turned to Spencer as soon as China left, "Wait, what? How you from Crenshaw and you don't know Alvin?"

"For real." Spencer said.

Riley watched Layla's face fall as she came to a partial realization, causing Riley to walk over toward her and grab her hand in comfort. "You okay?"

Layla shook her head before nodding, "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine."

Riley sent her a look, "I'm serious. I'm fine."

Riley put her hand up in defense as she followed Coop and Spencer back out, "Okay. I'm gonna go out toward the front, but I'll see you after the show."

Layla nodded as she waved her friend goodbye.

It didn't take long after Riley made her way back to the stage for Coop to hype the crowd up. By the time China made her way on stage the crowd was shouting for her. China was a good performer, she knew how to keep the crowd entertained. The crowd was going wild for every second of the performance, that is until gunshot's were heard, sending everyone into a full-on panic.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 711 19
Olivia Baker is the only child and daughter of the head coach of an NFL team. Her dad's rules are clear, no relationships between her and any of the...
86.4K 2.1K 34
After a whirlwind summer of traveling the world with her mother. Evelyn hopes to return home to her boyfriend and expects things to fall back in plac...
23.9K 731 41
Olivia Baker is a single mother and one of the top sports agents at Kluth Sports Group in Los Angeles. Her daughter is everything to her and has to c...
198K 3.6K 53
JJ Parker (All American) Aaliyah Baker 1/3 of the Baker triplets. Living in Beverly Hills was anything but easygoing. When the new kid comes into her...