The Sweetest Devotion

By wheadee

An arranged marriage. An illicit affair. An unforgettable passion. A forbidden love... A spoiled socialite cl... More

๐’๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ฆ๐š๐ซ๐ฒ
๐ˆ.
๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐ˆ๐•.
๐•๐ˆ.
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐ˆ๐—.
๐—.
๐—๐ˆ.
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐ˆ๐•.
๐—๐•.
๐—๐•๐ˆ.
๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐ˆ๐—.
๐—๐—.
๐—๐—๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐•.
๐—๐—๐•.
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐—.
๐—๐—๐—.
๐—๐—๐—๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐—๐ˆ๐•.
๐—๐—๐—๐•.
๐—๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ.
๐—๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ.
๐“๐ก๐ž ๐’๐ฐ๐ž๐ž๐ญ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ƒ๐ž๐ฏ๐จ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐„๐ฑ๐ญ๐ซ๐š๐ฌ

๐•.

5.9K 310 456
By wheadee

My entire body was tender and throbbing as I showered at Jadyn's. Touching every ache brought on a new memory of what happened at the garage. Just thinking about it drove my hand between my thighs to relieve some of the pressure—as if I could do myself any justice after that.

    I was incredibly sore, standing proved to be just as challenging as walking, but yet mentally I was fully charged. I'd never been touched like that, and even if another round would surely break me, I wanted to do it again. Keith hadn't made love to me. He fucked me—hard, without restraint, and without an apology.

In the aftermath, I felt empty. His sex filled me and overwhelmed me as he took me on a journey I would never forget, bursting my expectations until I was seeing stars. The moment we separated I felt his absence and a blanket of coldness I couldn't shake.

Ruined. Just one taste of him and I felt ruined for other men. At least, I thought he was way better than my ex.

Keith was a stranger to me, but he'd left an imprint I felt in every step I took.

In hindsight, I was glad I hadn't kissed him. I would've left that garage without my soul intact, and I was going to cling to it while I still could before I handed it over to my future husband.

Okay, I was probably being extra dramatic about marrying Cain, but I deserved to be.

Had we been a real couple, then perhaps I would've considered my little liaison "adultery," but because my hand was forced, I didn't feel guilty at all. A part of me wanted to go and rub it in his face, but then I considered the darkness surrounding Cain's person and I didn't want to test him.

It all came crashing back to me, the engagement and the truth of what this was. My last night of freedom where I'd had a one-night stand with a stranger, but come morning, I'd have to face reality and the rest of my life.

I came out of the bathroom after my shower at Jadyn's place wearing a night shirt she'd lent me. Typically, we weren't the same size, due to Jay being five-one and all. Still, the shirt hung heavy on me, as she'd gotten it in two sizes too big for occasions like snuggling up on the couch or in bed.

I gathered my clothing and stuffed them in a plastic grocery bag. Mentally, I penciled in the idea of hitting the drycleaners as soon as possible. I may not have wanted to go to my engagement party, but I did love that dress.

Jadyn was out in the living room when I found her. Her house was small and intimate, the perfect size for her since she was single and childless. The most company Jay kept was the stray cats she often fed. She was a penchant for feeding the felines. Even more, when they became regulars, she'd name them. As of now, I recalled there was a Sylvester, a Greyer, a Midnight, and a Lionel. It was wholesome how she'd get excited about each visit from one of her furry friends and send me a photo of one eating from the paper bowls she'd set out her door.

That was one of the things that made me cling to Jadyn when I met her at UCLA. We'd both attempted to join a sorority and ended up being a sisterhood of two when we realized it wasn't for us. Right away I'd admired Jadyn's friendliness and kind heart. In the business world, there weren't many true friendships, and being the daughter of an elite, I never found any bonds with any of the girls and boys from my schooling.

Jadyn was different. She was from Bedford Heights and kept a glass-half-full persona that made me more grateful for what I had. Outside of her positivity, I loved her for her dreams. As I went and sat on the sofa beside her, I took in the blown-up movie posters from directors John Singleton and Gina Prince-Blythewood.

"It's always about boys in the hood, why not girls? And why not instead of a girl trying to make it out, she's trying to make it through and just live her ordinary day-to-day life? Girlhood or womanhood is just important a journey to follow than our counterparts," Jadyn had said to me when I'd asked her major or aspirations freshman year. Needless to say, she quickly became my favorite person and someone I looked up to.

I hadn't a clue what I wanted to do with my life. Hence my dropping out of school after my sophomore year.

Currently, Jadyn was going the starving artist route as she worked in collections for her day job while penning the perfect screenplay whenever she could get a minute.

I settled in beside her, making sure the large T-shirt covered me as I tucked my legs underneath myself. It had been over half an hour since I'd slept with Keith and still I felt unsteady, sensitive, and branded.

As if the act were a scarlet letter burned onto my chest, Jadyn was staring at me from her end of the couch, her big dark eyes eagerly awaiting my explanation.

"So," Jadyn said patiently. "What's got you walking funny? Or should I say who?"

My cheeks burned as I began to smile. There were no secrets or judgment between us. "Jay."

She leaned close, a lock of her blonde faux locs getting in her face. "Well?"

Ugh, there was no hiding the truth. I was walking different. "So, I was going to call, but I didn't want to chance my mom tracking my phone."

Jadyn's dark eyebrows teetered down as her brown features appeared confused. "Oh, yeah, you had that engagement announcement and party tonight." Suddenly, she lit up, her eyes tripling in size as she looked at my body and back at my face. "You fucked him, didn't you?"

Disgust bubbled in my belly at the thought. Wrinkling my nose, I quickly shot down that idea. "God, no. I took off. I ditched my phone and I ran out of there. I blew a tire on the way here and had to get a mechanic to tow me in."

Jadyn assessed me for damages as she again was perplexed. "So what happened?"

I sighed, lifting my gaze to the ceiling, searching for cliff notes on what I'd done this evening. "The mechanic brought me back to the shop...and one thing led to another and we...you know."

Jadyn blinked. "Damn."

"Yeah," I let out. I'd never been so brazen before in my life. I'd had a couple of meaningless hookups in college, but even then I'd known the guys. And then Gaius happened and I was all things monogamy with him. What happened with Keith was so unlike me, but I didn't regret it. He was good.

"This calls for wine!" Jadyn announced as she rushed to her feet to grab a bottle.

I gagged. "Ugh, pass."

"Girl, grow up already," Jadyn said as she often did of my not drinking. I didn't care for wine, beer, liquor or anything alcoholic. It just wasn't my taste. Occasionally, I'd celebrate an accomplishment with champagne if out at a brunch or party, but at home in my penthouse I kept it simple with water and my beloved strawberry-peach juice.

When I'd officially turned twenty-one and was vocal about my distaste for alcohol, my father made it a point to provide sparkling grape juice in champagne flutes at all the parties or dinners he and his company hosted, in my honor.

My mood sank. I did not want to think about him.

Jadyn came back from her kitchen holding a bottle of wine tucked under her arm, a wine glass in one hand, and a bottle of water in the other for me.

I accepted the water and watched as she went about pouring some of her wine.

"Please tell me it was worth it," Jadyn said as she gathered her glass.

It was complicated and messy, due to my fiancé, but god, I'd never had an orgasm like that. Everyone in my life, from the time I was a little girl, treated me like a princess, delicate, and fragile. Keith had done no such thing. He'd taken me brusquely. When he came, he'd grabbed a fistful of my hair, tilting my head back as his teeth grazed my neck. I shattered beneath him and thought nothing of him stepping all over the pieces.

He hadn't treated me like a lady, but like a good and hard fuck, and I liked it.

"That was probably the best I've ever had," I admitted.

"And you sure he had a job? The best dick I ever had was unemployed, but then again, he had somethin' to prove and was also hobosexual."

I was trying to be serious, but leave it to Jadyn to make me laugh. "Girl."

She threw a hand out in an innocent gesture. "Just sayin'. It look like he broke you off something good."

He had.

That dick tapped my soul.

I was still in my Valentino dress, wearing another man's ring, making the whole encounter dirty and illicit. I regretted nothing. "So good."

Jadyn chuckled. "Did you at least get his name? Or did you just pounce on him as soon as y'all pulled into the garage?"

"Keith," I spoke up. Keith Avery. A man with three first names, sexy tattoos, and a handsome face that had briefly broke out into the cutest smile when he'd laughed.

"Now that you got you a piece of the Heights in you, you ain't never going back to them pencil pushers in the Hills."

It all happened so fast, leaving me wondering if this was just a one-night stand, or if there was potential. I mean, I wouldn't have minded having another go at it with Keith.

If the circumstances were different.

I uncapped my water and took a hearty swig as my shoulders sagged. "Right, because now I have to go and face my maker."

Jadyn frowned. She reached out and squeezed my shoulder. "Right, your 'fiancé.' Was he weird? Was he the reason you ran off, besides the obvious?"

Cain hadn't said or did anything weird, but he was still odd. I'd turned him down and he went behind my back and manipulated my father into handing me over. He didn't even seem apologetic about it.

I set my water on the coffee table. "I ran because I didn't want to be there, because I don't want to be engaged to this man."

Jadyn picked up her cell phone. "What's his name again?"

"Cain Carter," I told her. "He's the newest CEO of the Cartier Casino. He's been on a few blogs, but he's super low key. No one knows a thing about him."

That was what made me uneasy about Cain. The very mystery of who he was and where'd he come from. The illegitimate heir to the late James Carter appeared like a ghost within thin air and he was causing a stir amongst the power circle of all of California and Nevada.

Jadyn began cyberstalking Cain as she sat up and scoured her phone.

"He looks good in a suit," she observed as she took in a photo of Cain standing outside the Cartier Casino.

"Not helping," I pointed out.

"You could have it a lot worse. I mean, they set you up with a fine ass fiancé at least," Jadyn said with a pitiful shrug.

On paper, Cain was immaculate, wealthy, attractive, quiet and reserved, but in reality, I wasn't buying it. "There's something off about him, Jay. Something...lethal."

I couldn't prove it, but I just knew.

Jadyn continued to scroll through her phone, disappointment soon covering her face. "He seems squeaky clean online." She flashed me yet another photo of Cain at the Cartier. In it, he was standing with some pop legend, one of the many performers who did residencies at their hotel and club.

Cain was about his business. No drama. No legal issues. No major headlines—outside our recent engagement.

By the looks of it, I would be nothing more than a trophy for Cain. A shiny object fit for his ego and image. Arm candy he got to fuck whenever he wanted.

I paused as I sank back against the sofa cushion.

Maybe, maybe I was writing Cain off too quickly. Keith had seemed scary, but then he wasn't.

God, he wasn't.

"At least you got options," Jadyn tried to reason.

Option #1: Put my foot down against this marriage, be disinherited, and be out on the street.

Option #2: Make nice with my parents and become betrothed to Vegas and LA's hottest eligible bachelor.

Option #3: Drink bleach.

Sure, my final option was purely over-the-top, but it sounded better than my alternatives. Really, I was still holding out I could talk my way out of this. That my parents would see the error in their decision. This alliance could be done without my hand in marriage.

"Yeah," I said hopefully.

"I mean, thinking positive, maybe he's not a horrible guy?" Jadyn tried to think on the bright side of things.

"Oh sure, this is a fairy tale all right. The one where the huntsman hands Little Red Riding Hood to the Big Bad Wolf instead of protecting her."

Jadyn laughed and took a sip of her wine. Soon, she pouted. "I want to be someone's Darling Nikki."

Confused, I scrunched up my face. "You want to be...caught self-loving in the lobby?"

Jadyn chuckled. "Okay, maybe not an exhibitionist, but I'd love to be this sexual oasis or goddess. Nikki owned her sexuality, and I just know she left a mark. Bet you this Keith guy remembers you."

I would remember this sex for the rest of my days. "What about you? Anything new and exciting in your life?"

Jadyn groaned. "Talking to new men is exhausting, Kenn. They're either too direct or too dry. There's never any middle."

I cringed, thinking of my time in the dating pool. "Know what my biggest pet peeve is with men?"

Jadyn turned, giving me her full attention. "What?"

"Dick pics," I confessed. "Like, I know it's for reference, but I still can't wrap my head around them sending pictures of their dicks next to household items like remotes and Febreze bottles."

Jadyn cackled as she drank more of her wine. "And you know they're not sanitizing that shit either when they're done. Bet you their families are always wondering why they keep gettin' pink eye."

I was laughing again, loosening up despite my ordeal.

But then, I decided to be realistic and come back to Earth. I shook off Jadyn's words and my pleasure. Keith and I had a simple fling. Nothing more and nothing less. My last hoorah before I spent the rest of my life in a loveless marriage.

In the morning, Jadyn dropped me off at Rod's Repair before heading off to work. She'd let me borrow some jeans she'd been meaning to return to the store. While they hadn't fit her, they clung to me like a glove. Her striped T-shirt she'd given me barely covered my stomach, but at least we were the same shoe size.

Note to self: next time you run away, make sure to pack a change of clothes.

"Go with the flow, and give me all the details!" Jadyn demanded after I'd climbed out of her Volkswagen.

Business was alive and well this Monday morning as I turned from Jadyn's exit and faced Rod's Repair. Several vehicles lined the parking lot and inside I could see people waiting around the lobby and some standing at the front counter.

This didn't have to be awkward. This semi-walk of shame could be casual, friendly.

After telling myself to believe that lie, I walked into the shop and threaded my fingers together as I approached the front counter. A female mechanic was just ushering an elderly couple towards the back of the shop that led out into the garage area. Nowhere in the vicinity did I see Keith.

The male receptionist was typing away at a laptop when I came over to the counter. "Just...a second." His eyes were glued to the screen and I took a moment to look around again for Keith. Nowhere.

There was a young mother and two of her kids seated on the chairs against the front windows in the waiting area. SpongeBob SquarePants was on and the little ones were engrossed as they looked up at the screen with snacks in their hands. Across from the family was an older man sitting back browsing a magazine.

Another man was standing by the vending machines debating on the options before him. Outside of the echoes of SpongeBob, the shop radio was on, creating a lively atmosphere.

"Can I help you?" The receptionist pulled my attention back towards him.

His nametag read Jake. His face said he was friendly, but also busy.

"Uh, yeah, I'm here for the Lexus...?" Why had I said it as a question? Now that I thought about it, I hadn't filled out any paperwork with Keith before we'd hooked up in the back office. I was sure he knew my full name now after bullshitting me about needing to see my license.

Jake's brows furrowed and he glanced down at the paperwork cluttering the desk behind the counter. He grabbed a clipboard and held it up, scanning for something. "Oh, yeah, Nichols, right?"

"Yes, Kennedy Nichols," I said. "Is Keith around?"

Jake shook his head as he was back to the laptop. "Busy, and does not want to be disturbed." His fast fingers danced across the keyboard in seconds. "All right, looks like he got you all set up. Let me pull up the invoice and we—"

"Excuse me?" I cut him off, not understanding what he meant by Keith being too busy to see me. "Where is he?"

Jake looked at me funny. "In the back, working on some reports. You're good to go. All you have to do is pay for the spare."

I didn't care about my Lexus. It sounded like Keith was blowing me off, or maybe he was busy and didn't want to be bothered. Still, he knew I was coming by.

"He's expecting me," I said.

Jake didn't look convinced. "Uh-huh, he fixed the car, and then he went into the back and said he didn't want to be bothered while he was back there."

Jake was only following orders, and judging by his demeanor, he didn't want to break them.

One thing about me, I tended to always get what I wanted. It wasn't often I was told no and it stayed that way.

So, I put on my charming I'm-a-princess-and-you'll-obey-me smile and attitude. "Jake, he knows I'm stopping by. If you let me go see him, I won't tell." I pressed my finger to my glossed lips. "It'll be our little secret. I promise."

Jake frowned, his eyes shooting to the people in the lobby and then towards the mechanics in the garage. He hung his head and shook it. "I didn't see you go back there. It's all on you."

Keith must've had him intimidated, because I was too tempted to laugh at the threat.

Feeling perky, I quickly settled the bill and handed over my debit card. It was a smoke signal for my parents on where I was, but I didn't care in the moment. I'd needed last night away from them and that party. I'd needed to clear my head. And while my head wasn't exactly clear or less anxiety riddled, I was ready to face them, and Cain.

I shoved my receipt in my clutch and made my way down the familiar corridor to the back office. Each step found my heart beating hard in my chest. Here it was, my return to the scene of the crime—quite an illustrious crime at that.

The hard part was over, we'd already seen each other naked. There was no reason for me to be so nervous as I gripped the doorknob and felt relief when I saw that it wasn't locked. I blew out a shaky breath and opened the door.

Puff Daddy and Mase's "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down" played through the shop's radio system. Keith was in the office bobbing his head to the classic late '90s song. He was caught up writing something in what looked like a ledger before he noticed me.

Today he was wearing glasses, an added bonus, because they only seemed to make him finer. The round gold frames complemented his skin tone and gorgeous face. Usually, I liked men clean shaven, but on Keith, I liked the scruff. I even kinda liked that he looked mean, the male version of Resting Bitch Face—or Resting Asshole Face. It worked for him, and facing him again after seeing him less than twenty-four hours ago, I now understood why Jake was intimidated by him. One thing evident about Keith's demeanor and energy, was that he wasn't to be played with.

Suddenly, I wasn't nervous. I almost felt playful when I thought about the way he hadn't done a thing about my changing his radio station in his tow truck.

"Kennedy." Keith placed the pen he'd been using in the spine of the ledger and stood to his feet. Like the other mechanics, he was sporting a dark gray short-sleeved work shirt and matching pants. His name was scrawled in cursive on a patch above his right pec.

He must've changed last night, as he'd been about to close up when I'd called.

Keith kept his distance, staying behind the desk as he took me in. "How are you?"

Formalities, huh? "Good. You?"

He shrugged, his face grim. "I'm okay. But I need to apologize for last night."

Apologize? "What for?"

Keith searched my gaze for something, determination etched across his face. "I crossed the line, in here, and I'm sorry."

"What? No, you didn't," I responded. Of all the scenarios I'd considered this morning when I was getting dressed to come here, I hadn't imagined him feeling remorseful.

"You sure?" Keith questioned. He rounded his desk and parked himself in front of it, still a safe space from me. He folded his arms and gestured at me with a tilt of his head. "A young woman from out of town stranded in the road, and here I was supposed to help you, and I ended up taking advantage."

Now was not the time for chivalry. "That's not what happened. I flirted with you. I wanted you. I had a good time last night, and now, I guess I'm the only one who did."

What a great way for my rebellion to blow up in my face.

"That's not what I said," Keith was quick to say.

Oh.

He was quiet as he began to scratch at his neck. A tick he seemed to have whenever he appeared thoughtful.

"You liked it," I said, needing to hear his confirmation.

Keith stared at me impassively. "I did."

We needed to work on his emotions, but I would take his enjoyment in what we'd done. "Good. So did I. Really, if my life wasn't so complicated right now I'd try to make a thing of this."

"And as flattered as I would be at the offer, I'd say no," Keith said matter-of-factly.

His words startled me. "What?"

Keith sighed and looked elsewhere around the room before coming back to me, lifting and dropping his shoulder lazily. "I was distracted last night, but ordinarily, I don't fuck with OPP."

OPP.

Other People's Pussy.

Crass, but I got his point. He'd noticed my ring. But how could he not with how huge the thing was?

I plucked the ring off my finger. As if it would rid me from the whole engagement. "It's not what it seems...exactly."

Keith folded his arms again, perking a brow as if to call bullshit. "I'll bite."

At least he was hearing me out. "I...I wasn't asked to be married in the normal way."

"Then why did you say yes?"

"I didn't," I clarified. "My father's a hotel tycoon. He's been trying to do business with this...asshole who runs a casino in Vegas for a while—or, before he got sick."

Sympathy crossed Keith's face. "What's wrong with him?"

I gazed at the floor. "He's got ALS."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Recognition set in Keith's eyes and I knew I didn't have to explain further the fatal disease stealing my father from me.

No matter how messed up things were now, I still felt tears prick my eyes at the looming inevitable. "This asshole turned my father and his co-CEO down a few times, until recently he decided he was all in on a joint hotel/casino."

"What changed his mind?" Keith asked.

I looked up at him. "My father's weakening and he got him where it hurts: me. He's asked me out twice before and I turned him down each time. Now, he said he'd agree to this business deal if he could have my hand in marriage."

Keith frowned. "Are you from a different culture...?"

I managed to snort at that. "No. Or maybe I am, because the culture of business and money can make people do some really fucked-up things."

Before me, Keith lost his resolve. "Kennedy..."

I waved him off, not wanting his pity. This was my life. "So, last night was our big engagement announcement and party. I got overwhelmed and fled. I didn't take my phone because I didn't want to chance my mom tracking me down. Not that I can stay away for too long."

"So what now, you're going to really marry some old geezer?"

"He's not that much older than me. He's very successful and attractive. A lot of women would kill to be in my position."

"So, outside of the whole 'asshole' thing, what's wrong with the guy?" Keith asked curiously.

I stood firm in my stance. "I said no, and that's all that matters. To go around me and force my father's hand is psychotic." And borderline controlling. "I don't know how, but I'm going to put my foot down and get out of this. I know what I want, and what I don't."

Keith nodded. "Amen to that. Taking advantage of your dad now that he's sick is some evil shit. And I know he's not well, but your dad really shouldn't put you in this position either."

It was true, and another point I would bring up when I got back to Hampton Hills. They could do their business whatever way they chose, without me.

Cain Carter could not have me.

I shook off my irritation and focused on Keith. "What about you?"

"What about me?" he asked.

He was attractive, clearly hard working, and a skilled lover. I hadn't thought to wonder if he were seeing anyone. "Are you single?"

"Of course," he said as if it should've been obvious. "I'm not that type of guy."

I liked this answer, as if the idea of cheating was just completely unacceptable to him. He was almost thirty, and it was clear he wasn't about to be one of those men who forever acted on impulses and behaved like a horny adolescent. Who "chased skirts" and broke hearts.

"So," I threw out. "I'm not a cheater, and you're single. No harm, no foul."

"No harm. No foul," Keith repeated with a bob of his head.

I liked the sight of him in glasses. The serious look on his handsome face. The way his muscles bulged in his arms when folded them. The way his tattoos complemented his skin and brawn.

Keith chuckled, a husky lullaby. "You keep looking at me like that, and you're asking for trouble."

I'd never been a rule breaker in my life, suddenly I was down for all delinquency. "I like trouble."

He tilted his head, studying me with pure amusement behind his glasses. "What you so far away for?" He gestured to the side. "C'mere."

I felt schoolgirl stupid just then. Too giddy to stop myself from obeying and crossing over and standing in front of him.

His manliness permeated the air. A heavy potion drawing me in and taking no prisoners. Keith was intoxicating.

A gleam hung in his eyes as he stared down at me. "You like trouble, huh?"

"Y-Yes," I breathed out, anticipating his next move.

His hand came down hard on my butt, sending my sex clenching, and a gasp out of my mouth.

Shit.

Why did that feel good?

What more, Keith slid something in my back pocket. "Well, if you're ever having car trouble, here's my card. Give me a ring or somehin'."

Or something.

"Okay," I said.

Keith looked at the clock on the wall and came back to me. "I'll walk you to your car."

"Oh, so there's the gentleman side you keep hidden away," I taunted.

This remark was rewarded with another smack to my butt.

The whole way out to the garage I contemplated saying something else wise and witty to be smacked again.

"All right, just so we're clear, a spare is only supposed to be temporary," Keith instructed as I climbed in behind my wheel. He hung in the window after I'd rolled it down, staring at me as he gave me the warning. "Make sure you get a new tire soon, and watch where you're drivin'."

I saluted him, being a pest. "Yes, sir."

He appeared to be fighting a smile as he stood back and gave me room to leave.

I pushed the Start button and my Lexus came to life. Almost immediately I was assaulted by the loud rap sounds of 21 Savage. I shot Keith a glare, only to find him not hiding his gorgeous smile.

Nice move, Keith, nice one.

The only reason I went to my parents' house right away was to get my cell phone. I also owed them a cursory acknowledgment that I was alive and well, but I wasn't ready to have it out with them on my engagement.

But they lived in a gated estate and there was no going about it without speaking to them regardless. One step in the door and my mother was already waiting for me in the foyer with her arms folded and disappointment teeming loudly from her person. Everything about her appearance was in place, her hair styled and held back in a clip, her outfit crisp and designer, meaning we had company of some sort over. Not that she was otherwise a slob, but these days, she didn't force it when all she wanted to do was be by my father's side.

"You have some nerve," her tone was dry and tired. We weren't about to argue, she'd had it with me.

I attempted to go by her to just get my phone and forgo this dramatic confrontation. "Can we do this later? I do need to talk to Daddy."

Her cold hand wrapped around my arm and pulled me back around to face her. "He's with a specialist up there right now. So whatever it is you want can wait."

My heart stung in my chest. This kept getting more real by the minute and I wasn't brave enough to pretend I didn't care. "Is he doing okay?"

My mother snorted, letting me go and shaking her head, causing her earrings to sway in her ears. "He's not too happy with you, Kennedy. Cain—"

"Mom," I cut in. "Is he okay with his health?"

She calmed down for just a moment. Her forehead creased as she looked down at the marble flooring. "He's slurring his words a little more. He's becoming frustrated with having to slow down and get his words out to speak."

I hugged myself as I felt angry inside at the illness claiming my father.

"The Residence at Cartier is a dream project for him," my mother went on, bringing up the joint collaboration Nichols & Wagner and Cain were creating here in Los Angeles. "I understand this is abrupt and hard for you, but couldn't you please just try to make his last days less complicated? Cain is incredibly accomplished for his age and he's respectful and reserved."

"He inherited the Casino. He didn't earn it like Daddy and Phil with Nichols & Wagner," I countered.

My mother shook her head. "He was upset when you disappeared on him. He wants to have lunch today to clear the air and smooth things over. So, please, go get dressed and meet with him."

I put my foot down. "I have to get my tire fixed. I'm riding on a spare."

She reached out and took my key fob from me. "I'll have it brought in. Oliver can drive you to the restaurant."

There was no pleading with her.

My hands were tied and I hated it. I didn't want to disappoint my father. I knew how much this deal had meant to him in the years he'd been campaigning for the Residence Hotel and Cartier Casino to create a new property here in California. If he were in better spirits, I knew he'd never put me in this predicament.

Maybe if I begged Cain himself he'd see he was being ridiculous.

"Fine," I said. "I'll go get ready."

My mother's cold palm cupped my cheek, bringing my vision to meet hers. "Just try to at least get to know him."

I wouldn't, I would go to this lunch aimed with a mission to convince him to drop this charade.

I dressed business casual in a white blouse, black slacks and my favorite pair of black heels. I styled my hair, put on a little makeup, and half an hour later I was sliding into the back of our family driver's town car. My phone was charged, finding missed calls and texts from my mother and Jadyn. Not to mention the influx of social media notifications and texts from casual acquaintances congratulating me on my engagement. The latest text from Jadyn was snooping on how things had gone when I'd seen Keith.

Oliver came to a stop and I put my night behind me as I faced the restaurant Cain had picked out. Etienne's. The sign out front said it held a wide array of famous French cuisine. By the valet taking people's cars in the lane around me, I just knew this was one of those obscenely fancy restaurants that gave guests large dinner plates with small servings along with decorative sauce on the side. Not my favorite, but Cain didn't know me. Yet.

Despite my gut telling me to flee, I got out of the car and went inside. I went over to the hostess and put on my best smile and pretended everything was okay. "Hi, party for Carter?"

She scanned her reservation book and faced me with a bright smile. "Right this way." She turned, preparing to lead me into the dining room, her braided ponytail swinging behind her.

It was almost noon and the restaurant was fairly full as we stepped into the left side of the establishment. The smell of sauce and herbs hung in the air as light classical music set the tone. People around me were eating and enjoying their dates or business meetings. No one took notice of the young woman preparing to share a meal with the devil.

Right away I noticed where Cain was already seated and waiting. Even more, he wasn't alone. Two of his men were at a table not too far from where Cain was sitting. One was scanning the room casually and the other, the tall and heavy-set one who couldn't dress to save his life, was on the phone.

Run! I told myself as my bravery evaporated.

It was too late.

Cain had spotted me and we were too close to the table to turn around. Where Cain was seated was in a lone corner of the restaurant, as only four tables were in the area around him. Outside of his men seated at a table behind him, no one was in this section.

"Here you are," the hostess said as she stood at the table and bestowed me with another big smile.

I tipped my head at her awkwardly before approaching a chair farthest from Cain at the square-shaped table. He'd stood up and appraised me, being a gentleman and waiting for me to sit before he did again.

I sat down and covered my lap with a tablecloth and tried to wipe my sweaty palms on it. Before, it was easy to form a plan to talk him out of this marriage. Now, being so close, recognizing that algid air around him, I could barely bring myself to look at him.

But I did. He was in another expensive suit—a suit he did wear well—as he sat across from me quietly.

"Good morning," I spoke up.

Cain glanced at the watch on his wrist and back to me. "Morning."

"Good morning!" A waiter came and interrupted us. A tall man with gold glasses that reminded me of the wrong person just then. Unlike Keith, our server, whose nametag read Max, appeared friendly. "Do you need more time to choose your meals? If so, what can we start you off with to drink?"

Cain had been here longer than me, he knew what he wanted. "Can you bring a bottle of your best red wine?" He glanced at me. "Do you like red?"

I shook my head. "I don't drink."

Cain returned to Max. "I'll take the wine, and she'll have whatever she likes."

In the end, I chose a simple glass of water with a lemon in it. By the time Max had swung back around with our drinks, I'd scoured the menu twice over in an effort to avoid talking to Cain.

Cain ordered the pan-seared Foie Gras, something that made my stomach lurch in guilt and disgust. I settled on a halibut dish and a side salad.

And then we were alone, awaiting our meals with nothing else to do but talk.

"Something came up," I started saying, waving my hand dismissively on my departure from our party. "An emergency with my friend."

Cain reached into his jacket. He brandished a small pad of paper and a pen and set it on the table. "Why don't we get to know each other a little more? Starting with you giving me your cell phone number so I can get a hold of you in cases of emergencies."

If he was calling me a liar, as at least he'd been polite about it.

Reluctantly, I recited my cell number as I squeezed my fists shut under the table.

Cain jotted it down quickly before looking over at me. "You ordered the halibut, are you a big seafood eater?"

"I'm a pescatarian," I told him.

He wrote this down. "I eat meat, will that be a major problem?" He almost seemed sincere.

I cleared my throat, brushing off falling for his tone. If he were sincere, he would've asked me to marry him face to face, or taken my rejection instead of this. "I'm not a fan of Foie Gras, but typically, meat eaters don't offend me." On a rare occasion, I'd eat chicken with Jadyn, but only rarely.

"Favorite snack?"

"Cotton candy grapes," I answered. "Which is ironic, since I don't like cotton candy or the flavor for candy."

Cain wrote all this down as if he were studying for an important test. One could argue at least he wanted to know things about me.

"Aren't you going to ask me questions, Kennedy?" Cain asked as he brought his attention from his pad to me.

I didn't want to get to know him, but if I were stuck in this, I supposed I should've tried to see if he weren't completely terrible. "Why did you bring me into this deal with my dad?"

"I like turning nos into yes," Cain said simply. "I'm not a fan of asking for things, but if I'm approached on something, I want it worth my while."

"I'm not a piece of stock," I snapped.

My attitude didn't deter Cain. His dark empty eyes took me in, examining me. "No, you're not. Next question."

In another moment, we were joined by his heavier associate.

"Ay, yo, Dice, man, Huffman said he can't pay you in full," the man said as he leaned down towards Cain's ear.

Cain blinked, but no emotion came to his face. "We gave him a lot of...chips. Tell him I want all that they're worth."

The man accepted this. "And if he can't bring it in?"

Cain traced his finger along the rim of his wine glass, face a blank canvas. "Then I hope infant-size coffins are cheap."

I choked on my air, unable to play off my blatant fear.

There it was. That darkness I'd sensed about him from the moment I first met him. He was a killer. A coldblooded one at that.

We were at a public restaurant, not within earshot but he still spoke of taking a life as if he were debating an Armani suit versus Tom Ford.

Cain peered at me. He lifted his hand, releasing his worker. "Beans? Don't interrupt my meal again."

Beans took a look at me and nodded his head before returning to his own table.

Cain's gaze was cast on me. "I'm sorry about that. I won't make it a habit to discuss business during dinner or when we're together."

"W-What do you do?" I stammered to ask.

Cain almost grinned it seemed. "I run a casino, Kennedy."

I wasn't that naïve. "And...?"

"And that's all I'm going to say on that," Cain said as he gathered his wine and took a sip.

He wasn't just a casino owner. I should've left well enough alone, but if I was stuck with him, I wasn't going to be kept in the dark. "Do you really have to be so..."

"So what?" he demanded to know curiously.

"Ruthless?" I asked. "Are you really going to kill..." I couldn't say what he'd alluded to.

A corner of Cain's mouth quirked up. "It's elementary to believe kindness makes the world go 'round."

"And it's pessimistic to believe it won't help it," I shot back.

That smile twitched again. "Next question."

It was clear he wasn't about to discuss his secular business ventures with me. And just then I didn't want to pry any further. Didn't want to get soot under my nails just talking about it. "Why do they call you Dice?"

Cain didn't mind answering this. He leaned over on his hip and dug into his pocket and soon pulled out a set of clear red rolling dice. He set them on the table in front of me. "Wanna give 'em a roll?"

I declined to touch them. "No."

Cain shrugged and put them away. "I'm a gambling man, it's in my blood. The name comes with the territory."

"Were you close with your father?" I dared to ask.

Cain shook away the slight gentleness his face once held. "My father and I met for a very short time."

"Long enough for him to make you heir."

He thudded his finger onto the tabletop. "I deserved it."

Touchy. James Carter was a sore subject. "Will I be meeting your mother, then?"

Cain eased back in his chair. "My mother is deceased."

"Any other family?"

Cain looked over at Beans and the other associate before returning to me. "I don't have any."

The air was thick and uncomfortable. I didn't feel safe. All my suspicions had been confirmed and he sat before me so nonchalant. I couldn't focus, let alone eat. Not even ten minutes later when our food arrived.

The halibut looked so good and delicious, as did the asparagus and potato it came with.

"Why didn't you marry that football player?" Cain wanted to know as he cut into his Foie-Gras. He noticed my watching and frowned just a little. "I won't order this again in front of you."

How nice. A murderer had a conscience for his dates. "I was twenty-two and overwhelmed. It was my first ever real relationship. Guy's a sweetheart, but I wasn't ready to be so wrapped up then."

Gaius was young too, and I guessed I feared he'd somehow get caught up in the fame of being a new and highly admired NFL player. That he'd get bored with me. I loved him, I did, but when things got too heavy, I ran.

"Do you like the Sharks?" I poked at my halibut, wondering if Cain was even into sports.

"No, I prefer the Raiders," he said.

Of course.

"Are you from Las Vegas?" I attempted to eat a piece of my fish, to distract myself. The dish was tasty, but I hadn't a true appetite to enjoy it.

Cain's finger tapped on the table as he pondered over my question. I could tell my line of inquisition wasn't his favorite. His short and simple answers a pure testament.

"No," he said after a long pause.

I moved some asparagus around my plate. "Interesting."

"Is that so?" he challenged.

I gathered my water and took a drink. "It's going to be a fun year getting to know you, Cain. I can just tell." Controlling, and invasive yet secretive? Oh, I pictured a great time ahead.

His finger tapped against the table once more. He shook his head, heaving a sigh as he traced his fingers around the rim of his mouth. "I know what you're doing, holding off the wedding like this. I'm not stupid. Just don't embarrass me."

"Embarrass you?" I felt bold enough to laugh at him. "God, as if you shouldn't be embarrassed already after forcing this on me. Because your ego was bruised."

"Careful," Cain warned.

"Or what?"

Cain went back to his plate. He meticulously cut up his Foie Gras like the psychopath he was. "Be nice, and I'll make it worth it."

There was nothing in the world he could buy me to make a marriage worth it. To make twisting my father's arm okay.

"You're a bastard," I declared.

Cain shrugged as if it the insult were nothing. "I've been called worse."

Why did he want me? Was this really some power play? A show he could have anything he set his mind to?

"The reason I bring up the athlete, is because I'm curious," Cain began speaking after a few bites into his meal. "Has he been in contact with you since news broke of the engagement?"

I thought back to getting my phone and sifting through my messages. Gaius had sent me a text.

Gaius: Wow. I know we haven't spoken in a while, but I'm in shock right now, Kenn. Regardless, I'm happy for you. I'll always have love for you, no matter what. Congrats on the engagement! G.

He'd been heartbroken when I broke up with him. Unlike Cain, Gaius would never force me to do anything I didn't want. He was good to spoil me and treat me like a princess.

"Yes," I admitted. "He congratulated me."

Cain took a drink of his wine, humming at the news. "I'm going to be straightforward on this. If you're seeing someone else, I sincerely hope he's bulletproof."

Time stopped all around me as his threat froze me in my chair. I didn't dare ask him to repeat himself, he'd looked me right in the eye and said it plainly and clearly. He would kill a man I was cheating on him with. Which left me asking, "A-And me?"

Cain frowned. "I'll keep you barefoot and pregnant, and then you'll be too busy to think of someone else."

"I'm on the pill."

"I'll crush every one."

"I'll get an IUD."

"I'll rip it out."

A sob escaped from my mouth as my vision blurred. He was a monster. I couldn't. I couldn't go through with this.

Cain stood to his feet and came and sat in the chair closest to me.

"Stop crying," he demanded, watching me blankly. "I told you not to embarrass me."

His cruelty drove the tears faster down my face.

Cain was so close to me I began to shake as I attempted to clean up. All the while he watched me.

    "Where is your ring, Kennedy?" He'd noticed I wasn't wearing it.

    Honestly, I should've chucked the thing out the window when I was on the highway.

    "I-In my purse at home," I said.

    There his finger went tapping the tabletop again. "The next time I see you, I want you wearing it."

    It wasn't my style or desired type of ring. "And if I don't, you'll break my fingers?"

    He chuckled and examined my hand until I snatched it away. "That would be a pity, wouldn't it?"

"Abuse isn't love," I mumbled.

He reached out and touched my cheek. "You should write Hallmark cards."

I closed my eyes at his sarcasm and bit back another cry. He wouldn't get away with this. "My father will never let you hurt me."

Cain barely registered the comment as he angled his head to regard me. "You mean the one that's bedridden and dying? Stop, you're scaring me."

I glared at Cain, hating him more than I'd ever hated anyone in my entire life.

"Don't pout, Wife," he said dryly.

"I'm not your wife," I ground out.

He smirked, a ghost of a smile on his face. Soon, he was leaning close, his dark eyes boring into me. "In case I haven't made myself clear, you belong to me." He rose from his seat and lifted his hand, signaling for Beans and the other man to get up as he stared down at me. "I intended to be good to you, you're making this hard." He straightened out his suit and tossed me a pitying look. "Save your tears. I fucking hate seeing women cry."

Without another word, he walked away with his demons trailing behind.

____________________
Side to Side 💍 Ariana Grande ft. Nicki Minaj

Please Excuse my Hands 💍 Plies ft. Jamie Foxx + The-Dream

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 3.4K 43
๐Œ๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐š ๐’๐จ๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐ž The billionaires daughter's dreams and fantasies of marrying for love crushed within a second as she finds herself helping...
70.7K 2K 28
An arranged marriage. An unexpected love story. ~~~ To her, happy ever afters only exist in books, and she believes that dreams are inevitable, but...
31.1K 625 16
He shouldn't want her.. She's nothing but trouble with a capital T. But after one steamy drunken night he can't help himself. But that is where the f...
221K 6.1K 28
Mafia, lies, money, betrayals. #1 in bwwwm #1 in white male #41 in forbidden #241 in couple #84 in blackwomen #112 in Italian #15 in mafia romance ...