๐๐ˆ๐„๐‘๐‚๐„๐ƒ // ๐‡.๐’.

By tpwkmila

in which joelle d'amore is completing her final semester of university in the grand city of los angeles, cali... More

๐๐ˆ๐„๐‘๐‚๐„๐ƒ // ๐‡.๐’.
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
09.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18!
19!
20!
21.
22.
23!
24.
25!
26.
27.
28.
29.
30!
31!
32.
33!
34!
35.
36.
37!
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45!
46.
47!
48!
49.
50.
51!
52.
53!
54.
55!
56.
57!
58.
59.
60.
61!
63.
64!
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
epilogue | just like heaven.
author's note.

62.

23.3K 580 1.2K
By tpwkmila

Chapter 62

I avoided the ticking time bomb in my hands, in hopes it wouldn't blow up in my face. I think my blind optimism has failed me again and I'm left to curse myself for letting it get to this point.

I never allowed myself to think of what would happen if they were to ever find out. Maybe because the thought scared me. Maybe because if anything were to ever happen to him, I'd never forgive myself.

There was a string of silence in the room when I couldn't answer Eileen. My lips parted to speak, but nothing came out after she searched for the truth.

I watched her eyes fall from mine to look at the floor. She might feel betrayed and it's because I lied to her. I never saw her in a more serious state when she looked at Harry and told him, "Get the fuck up. Now. You're going to follow me."

Watching Harry comply, I tried to block the door. I tried to tell her that we could talk it out without going anywhere, but she ignored me and shoved right past me.

I felt my lip quiver out of frustration. I couldn't read her mind. I couldn't tell where she was leading Harry to. My mind, on fire, led to the worst, and figured she would out him to the rest of the Angelos. From there, I wouldn't know what to do.

But Eileen headed for an empty room. One that looked like an interrogation room, almost. Except, there was only a chair and a single light fixture that flickered above it.

"Eileen," I say her name again when I enter the room with them.

"Either close the damn door or get the fuck out," she bitterly snaps at me, giving me attention after purposely ignoring me. Then, she looks at Harry. "And you, sit the fuck down."

Harry and I share a look as the both of us don't see where this is going, but we do what she says.

Eileen scoffs under her breath as she heads for a red cabinet tucked in the corner of the room. She also mutters something, but I can't make it out. She then turns and I see she holds a zip tie. She makes her way to Harry.

"Eileen, we can explain everything," I say, hoping she wouldn't tie him. Though, ignoring me again, she roughly gathers his arms and ties his wrists together behind the chair.

"I- We never meant to lie," I begin as she walks to stand in front of Harry. Just as I'm about to explain further, she fishes a knife from her pocket and flips the blade. "Eileen!"

After ensuing a brief panic in me, she only uses it to cut through his sweatshirt in the place where his tattoo is. On his right rib cage where he's permanently marked, she takes another look as if she hoped it wouldn't be there anymore.

Her eyes lift, looking right into Harry's when she asks, "Who are you?"

"My name is-" He pauses only to swallow a lump in his throat. "Harry. I've been with the Infernos for almost seven years and I was Dante's right-hand man."

At the truth, Eileen frowns. "Was?"

He sits up, but it's difficult when his hands are tied behind his back. "Yeah, was. Meaning, I'm not anymore. I fled from the Infernos after-"

When he pauses again, Eileen impatiently shouts, "After what?!"

"After Dante found out about Jo. After he tried to fucking use her as part of a vendetta against Angelo Veca. You want the whole truth? I didn't meet Jo in Mexico. I met her here in LA in a tattoo shop I ran as a front for Dante. I met her around the time Dante was discovering that the Angelos were back. He put me on a mission to find out how it was possible and to kill the Veca bloodline. Except, I couldn't do that. Then, I had this plan to lie to him. I figured if I told him I was out killing Angelos and the Veca bloodline, he would lay off."

She's pouting as if she's fighting the urge to believe him.

"Eileen, it's true," I add. "But Dante found out he was lying. We shouldn't even be in LA right now because he's looking for Harry. He's looking for me, too."

"How do I know that isn't a lie? How do I know you aren't going to run to that son of a bitch and tell him about this place? He will burn it, burn us, just like he did with the safe house Angelo Veca ran!" She breathes heavily over the possibility that brings her fear.

I feel my lip quiver again and my throat tighten when it's the first I hear of Dante's mass murder.

Harry doesn't say anything. It's as if he's struggling to find reasons for her to trust his word.

"I trusted you." She's looking at Harry. "I let you come in here and you just— You come and talk to me and you make me think you're pretty fucking decent and... You." She then points to me. "Why would you do that to me?"

I look down immediately with shame. I don't know how much it would help if I were to argue I had no choice.

"I just have to know," she whispers and when I lift my head, she's squatting down to Harry's level for the chance to look him in the eye again. "Did you... After Angelo's death, who killed my dad? He was Angelo's best friend, Mauro."

With more silence in the air, Harry remains collected, or at least, it's how he tries to come off. "I, um... I could've been the one that killed him, to tell you the truth."

That's when Eileen breaks into a whimpered sob. "Could've been? Are you telling me you're not fucking sure?!"

She stands up and turns away and I feel like I have to carefully watch her when she turns frantic very quickly. But I break my sight of her to look at Harry when I wonder why he would say that to her when it doesn't help us.

"I'm not," adds Harry when she begins to pace with a muffled sob. "That's the thing. He made me do things. Countless times, he's made me hurt people. He made me hurt Jo and when I thought she would never forgive me—"

"Shut up," Eileen interrupts when she stops pacing and reaches behind her. "For fucks sake, shut up! You aren't going to talk your way out of this because I've dreamed of this. I've dreamed of coming face to face with the one who took my dad away from me."

She draws a gun, but before she even points it to Harry's head I step in front of the barrel. It came as an instinct—even when it's aimed right at my chest. "No," I simply say as I try not to let my emotions get the best of me. "You're not going to kill him, because if you kill him then you kill me. Eileen, I know you're angry and upset—maybe you even feel betrayed... but this won't fix anything."

She's holding back another sob as I note how shaky she is. She hasn't lowered the gun and she isn't able to look me in the eye either. It's like she's avoiding it.

"I'm sorry," I say to her. "For keeping this from you, but also... I'm not sorry." I'm not helping us either.

"Jo, just get out of the way," Eileen mutters. She then adds, "Please."

"You kill him and then what?" I have to swallow down the ache that comes with that thought. "He's not the enemy here, Eileen. If you're going to be angry at someone so bad that you want to fucking kill them, then be mad at the person who sent your dad to be killed."

This time, she stays quiet.

"Lower the gun," I say. She doesn't. "Eileen, lower the gun. I am not fucking around! You're not going to kill him because an oath is an oath, remember?"

That's when she frowns. "But that- that doesn't apply to him!"

"It does because I already told you, if he dies, I die. If I die, it means you failed to protect me. So put the gun down, now!"

I hadn't realized how loud I'd been until I saw her flinch. With hesitance, she finally puts the gun down. A breath, a big one, escapes me when I feel nothing but relieved.

She then meets my eyes for the first time since she's learned of our deceit and she's crying all over again. Before she can choke on her tears in front of us, she turns away then runs out of the room.

The moment the door slams shut on her way out, I finally feel the ache in my chest begin to consume me. It's crushing and I almost forget how to breathe to think of how badly this could've turned. I finally turn around to look at Harry.

"God, are you okay?" I whisper when I begin to well up. I then drop onto my knees and I take his cheeks into my hands. He's red in the face and in the eyes, too.

"I told you." It's the first thing he mutters to me. "I told you to never step in front of a gun for me before."

I release a shaky breath, caressing his cheeks. "You're insane if you think I wouldn't," I whisper and I sniffle when the tears spill out of me. Then I shake my head. "I wasn't going to let her hurt you."

"No, you're insane. You're fucking insane... I told you, you can't fucking step in front of a gun and hope it won't go off."

Even though he's angry, I find myself slipping out a laugh through my tears. "Yes, I can," I then argue back. "I don't think you understand, Harry, that I would die for you, too. So you can stay mad at me for however long you want, but just know that I'm so fucking relieved you're alright." I then hug his body, even as he remains tied.

I feel his chin touch the top of my head as if he gives in and forgives me. I sniffle again as the tears don't stop coming. I then hear his heartbeat as I have my ear pressed against his chest. It's going a little too fast, but I love the sound of it.

"Me, too," he then whispers.

"Fuck... How did this even happen?" I whisper.

"She didn't knock. She was looking for you and then she saw-" he pauses with a sigh. "My Elle, there's a knife in the pocket of my pants. Cut my hands free, yeah? So I can hold you."

I pull away to do just as he'd asked. After gathering the pocket knife he referred to, I stand up on my feet to head behind him. I cut him free out of the zip tie and when I drop the knife, he stands up and pulls me into his body.

I tremble when I'm engulfed by his arms. As my hands meet behind his neck, he lifts me and I freely lift my legs to cling onto him. "I don't want to lose you. I'm so so sorry I brought you here," I then break further.

He strokes my back and I hear him sniffle. "Hey, I'm fine. Because of you, I'm fine, my angel."

I think my tears get smeared in the crook of his neck, but he doesn't care. "I don't know what I'd do if she would've-" He squeezes me. "I-I almost failed you."

"What? You could never fail me," he whispers and he holds me for a bit longer when I feel like I'm choking.

Slowly, my legs fall from around his hips and the tip of my toes touch the floor first. "You say that now, but-" I pause when a hiccup takes over. Out of frustration, I roughly wipe my tears away.

"But what?"

With the sleeves of my top, I tug them over my fists and look away when the guilt settles. "I don't know," I whisper. "If Eileen tells the other Angelos, Harry, I'm afraid they won't be understanding. Which is why I think you should go."

Even when I avoid eye contact, his hands remain on my waist. He's still, far too frozen. I almost have to look to check if he's processed what I suggested. Then, he says, "Yeah, we should probably get out of this room."

He gets me to look at him when I think he purposefully misunderstood what I meant. With a hard swallow, I avoid the pain that comes with it. "Harry... I mean, you should get out of this safe house."

He begins to shake his head.

"Yes, Harry, please... I think it'll be a better idea if you go to Paris. I'll meet you there. Maybe you can call Finny again and—"

"No. Finn hasn't even called me back and no. Just no."

"You can't be here," I say quietly.

"I can't be without you. I already said no and that's the end of it. I don't give a fuck if she tells everyone. I'm not going anywhere," he makes it clear with a stern look in his eye.

"But—"

"I'm going to pretend you never suggested I'd leave without you." Harry tugs me back into his arms without letting me convince him any further. When he squeezes me tightly, I surrender.

"I'm sorry."

"You should be," he whispers, but he caresses my cheek to get me to look up at him. When I do, he softly kisses my lips.

"I just... The thought of you getting hurt— I want to keep you safe—"

He kisses me again to prevent me from rambling on. "Angel girl, enough. I'm fine and you're fine. S'all that should matter." After a third kiss, he then mumbles, "But I do think you should talk to her."

I open my eyes when I don't get to feel his lips anymore. I then softly frown. It's as if he knows that a part of me also feels bad for Eileen.

"I'll be okay," he then assures when he sees my hesitance to agree. "I'll go back to our room and lock the door this time. I'll make sure no one else points a gun to my head, too."

When I look at him again, he has a small grin. I shake my head so he knows that his joke is not funny. "Don't come out of there," I warn.

"Yes, boss." Then, he plants one more final kiss on my mouth.

I watch him as he covers the rip on his sweatshirt that Eileen made while he heads for the door. I follow him out of the room and into the hall just to keep my eye on him. But by the doorway, I remain still.

I hug myself when I feel much colder now that Harry isn't near me. I knew he wouldn't get up and leave no matter if I begged him to. Although the thought of him being so far away from me was beginning to sound like my worst nightmare, I felt as if it were the only option left.

I push myself to move when I realize that I'm only wasting time. The more time I spend smothered with anxiety, the less I have to keep Eileen from telling anyone about Harry being an Inferno.

It doesn't take long for me to find her. The door of her office is open and when I peek inside, Eileen is sunk into the couch on the left side of the room. She almost doesn't notice me with the photo album she once showed me on her lap and with a drink in her hand. Instead of acknowledging me, she drinks her liquor down.

I invite myself into the room and slowly shut the door to hold some privacy.

"Joelle D'Amore, can I ask you something?" She finally talks to me.

"Sure."

"Why are you defending him? No one who has sided with Dante for that long should get away with it."

I approach her, making my way to sit next to her on the couch. I can understand her feelings towards Harry, but she doesn't know him like I do. "Because he made a mistake. I bet we can sit here and argue about the weight of his mistake. I know some things are unforgivable."

"He might've killed my dad. You want to tell me that's forgivable?"

I look down at my hands then I look over at the photo album she's staring down at. I can recognize the child to be Eileen in the picture. I assume the one holding her is Mauro. "I'm sorry," I whisper.

"Are you apologizing for him?" She lifts her eyes then turns to me.

"No. I'm apologizing for your loss." I know how much that hurts.

She closes the photo album and tosses it onto the coffee table in front of us. It creates a loud smack and the bottle of liquor shakes before she picks it up to refill her glass. "Alex—" she then pauses. "No, Harry... came by to talk to me the other day. I think I'm mostly angry because I didn't figure it out myself. You know, that he's an Inferno."

I chew on the inside of my lip when I learn of Harry privately talking to her. I watch Eileen drink.

She then chuckles over the recent memory she plays in her head. "I told him that I didn't care about revenge like the other Angelos. The only thing I care about is this place."

"Hey, no one is touching this place," I then assure. "Harry wouldn't ever tell Dante about this safe house."

She shrugs and turns quiet. After a minute or two of silence, I hear her gulp then softly groan over the burn of her drink. "I don't trust him," she whispers and looks me in the eye again. "I don't think I ever will, knowing who he really is."

My chest hurts. As I play with the string of my bracelet again, I then say, "I'm not asking you to—"

"But you are," she interrupts me. "I know where this is going, Jo. You're going to ask me not to tell anyone that he's an Inferno."

I release a sigh when I decide to be forward with her. "You're right, because... what good would that do?"

As if she has several answers to my question, she scoffs but doesn't say anything. She takes a long pause. "You want to know what's funny?" Eileen puts her glass down then shifts to sit up.

"Hm?"

"Every time I felt sad, I would think about that girl who walked into my bar. I would wonder what she was up to because Lord knows I couldn't stop thinking of her ever since." She's looking at me as she recalls how when we met. "But I can't do that anymore so..."

I stay quiet when I don't know what to say to that. I never thought the way we met stuck with her when I was only a stranger then.

"I'm not going to tell anyone," she then whispers, breaking our silence. "About Harry, I mean. Only because something has happened and it would blow everything up if the other Angelos found out."

I raise an eyebrow at her. "What?" I ask.

"I busted into your room only to tell you the news."

Then, she makes me nervous. "What news?"

"Your mom was taken from her home shortly after we spotted the Infernos. The Angelos lost them in a car chase."

"No," I whisper, feeling my body want to shut down. I then lean forward, planting my elbows on top of my knees as my head falls forward. I'm out of tears to cry at the disaster I'm just hearing about. "How did this happen?" I ask.

Eileen stands up and fixes her composure. She tries to beat the alcohol in her system. "I don't know, but they have her."

I then make myself stand up. "My dad? What about my dad? Was he home when they—"

"Your dad wasn't home. That's all I know. Maybe you should call him, but, um... we need to figure out a plan. I'm going to gather the Angelos."

I begin to nod. "You do that."

"Give me a few. I'll meet you in the room where I introduced you to them the first time."

"Okay, I'm going to go tell Harry," I say, already heading out the door. I leave her behind, finding myself racing down the hall because I don't think I could waste any more time.

I knock on our door when it's locked this time around. When I announce that it's me, Harry opens the door. He seems to read my face well when he asks, "What happened?"

"They took her," I say, walking past him. "Harry, they took her. That's what Eileen was coming to tell me."

When he shuts the door, he makes his way to me in the middle of the room. He takes my hands and I notice he's changed out of his torn sweatshirt and into a new one. "Fuck," he mumbles my exact thoughts.

"Baby, do you have any idea where they're taking my mom? Because I'm really scared and if she gets hurt, then it'll be my fault," I say, heading for a ramble.

"My Elle," he tries to soothe while squeezing my hands. "I know you're scared, but I need you to breathe. Can you do that?"

I nod and mimic the way he takes a breath.

"Listen, I don't know where they plan to take her. I wish I could tell you exactly, but I can find out."

"How?"

"Zayn."

"No," I instantly say. "He's helped us enough already. I don't want him or Sutton getting burned because of me, too."

"We don't have many other options." He brushes his thumbs across my set of knuckles, continuing to soothe my evident nerves.

But I shake my head. "I don't want to get them involved, okay?" I then look up at him, lifting my hand just to touch his cheek. "You almost got hurt today because of me and my mom was taken because of me."

"None of this is your fault," he tries to convince me.

"When it hurts this much, it feels like it is," I say and in response, he falls quiet. "Right now I have to talk to the Angelos and I want you to come with me."

"Sure," he whispers.

"Just so you know, Eileen said she won't tell anyone about you."

As if he's shocked by it, he raises an eyebrow. "How come?"

"I think it's because she knows the Angelos wouldn't help me save my mom. They'd be upset and I can see that."

I feel him tug at my shirt as a way to pull me into a hug. I then close my eyes to take this moment to squeeze him tightly. "Let's go then, my angel girl. I'll be right there with you."

"Okay," I whisper but hold onto him for a bit longer. When he rubs my back, I finally get enough courage to pull away but my hand searches for his to hold.

I lead the way, keeping Harry close to me as my free hand hugs his arm. This day has been draining, but I don't think I could ever rest until I find my mom.

The doors to the large room where most Angelo meetings are held are wide open. I hear chatter from the hall. It all dies down the moment I step into the room.

My squeeze on Harry's hand loosens, but my fingers hook around his pinky as I make my way towards the small stage.

Immediately I see Paco and a few other familiar faces at the very front. Eileen also stands with them, but she's the only one staring at her feet. Then, she clears her throat and steps up onto the stage to gather everyone's attention. "Thanks for gathering as quickly as you did," she talks to the Angelos.

My fingers slip from Harry's to step up onto the stage next to Eileen. "Yes, thank you," I add as I look at all the faces looking back at me. "You're here because... something terrible has happened. My mom—who I know hasn't had the greatest track record with the Angelos—was taken from her home. Dante came for her and it's all my fault because I led him right to her."

"It's not your fault," Paco then says. "The Angelos in Seattle were supposed to prevent this from happening."

"Don't worry about that," I say with a headshake. "It happened and now they have her. My only concern now is if I can save her."

Silence follows. I chew on the inside of my lip when I don't know if I can verbally ask for their help. Asking them to help me bring her back home is a lot when it puts so much on the line.

"You mean... how we can save her," Eileen corrects as she stands a few feet to my right.

"Yes, Joelle D'Amore, just tell us a plan and we can save her," an Angelo says and then I hear murmurs of agreement.

I feel my heart race. Maybe it feels overwhelmed just like every other inch of me. Looking around the room again, I can't believe they're willing to help me. The last time I stood up here, it didn't go well. "You do realize what's at stake, right?" I ask them because their lives shouldn't be taken lightly.

"Boss, we're the Angelos," Paco says. "We protect each other. We save each other. We risk our lives for each other. It's what we do, so don't be afraid. Just tell us what to do."

"We're going to need a plan," Harry then speaks up and my eyes meet his comforting ones. It's like he's urging me to take the help that's being offered to me.

"I say we find out where they're gathered and wipe all those Infernos out... like they did to us and our families," says another Angelo in the room and just like that, my hope to save my mother begins to fade.

"No," I say to quickly shut that kind of plan down. "What I don't want is violence."

"But boss... how else are we supposed to get your mom out?" Paco raises an eyebrow at me.

"I just don't want us to be like the Infernos," I say and just as I'm about to continue talking, Eileen excuses herself. I bite my bottom lip when she hops off the platform then leaves the room in a rush again. Maybe the Inferno talk was too much now that she knows Harry's part in it. Though, not wanting to draw any attention, I then continue, "I don't have a plan, yet. In fact, I don't know how to make a plan but we have this safe house to think about. Just remember that."

"No, she's right," Paco then agrees and he looks at the other Angelos. "We can't attack. Most likely, they will attack us and we can't risk this place."

"Exactly." I look around again. "Do you guys have emergency protocols in this place?"

"We do, boss. Once a month, we go over it with everyone just in case something happens."

"Good. As much as my mom's safety is important to me, so is the safety of everyone here. And if you're willing to help me save her somehow then thank you."

"You don't have to thank us," Paco speaks for everyone.

"I do," I say and I look down at my nervous fingers as I pick at my nails. "The only thing I can ask from you guys right now is to lay low until I figure out what to do."

"We'll keep off the streets, boss. Is that all?"

"Yeah, thanks," I say before eventually realizing Paco hasn't stopped calling me boss. I don't think I like it. Before I can tell him, however, he dismisses everyone and I watch them all head out the doors.

Harry puts a hand out for me to take. He helps me off of the platform and I thank him for it. "How do you feel?" he asks, being quick to check in on me.

"I can't lie to you, I feel sick."

"Do you want to go lie down, my angel? I can take care of you," he then suggests, pulling me into his arms again and I can't resist letting him hold me.

"I know you can." I softly kiss his cheek when I push up on my toes. "But I have to do something."

"What is it?"

"Do you still have the phone?"

"Yeah, I was able to charge it in the library. Why?"

"I want to call my dad," I explain and let my hands glide off his shoulders. "He's going to freak out and... I just have to tell him."

He supports me with a head nod. He then glances down, reaching it to the pocket of his pants before handing the phone to me.

I take a small step back to let myself sit above the low stage I stood on. When I sit criss-cross, Harry sits next to me and all I can do is stare at the screen.

I go over what I'm going to tell him, but the more I rehearse my words, the more I forget them.

"My Elle?" He notices how still I am as my thumb hovers over the buttons.

"Sorry," I mumble myself out of a trance as I then begin to dial my dad.

With the phone pressed to my ear, I stare ahead at the open doors ahead and I count each ring until I get an answer.

"Who's this?" My dad is the first to ask.

"Dad, it's me."

With a breath of relief escaping him, it then takes him a while to say something. I frown, recognizing his distress. He must already know my mom has been taken.

"Dad?"

"Are you okay, Jo?"

"Yeah, are you okay?"

He then sighs through the line. "Jo," he then says my name as if he's about to break the bad news I already know. "I don't want you to worry but something has happened to your mother."

I swallow the lump in my throat as my eyes drift onto my lap. When Harry slips his hand onto my thigh, I feel the comfort he gives. "Dad, I know," I whisper. "Mom was taken."

"I see that," he mumbles, but his voice tells me he's in disbelief. "But how do you know that? I'm home and I can't find your mother. The place is a mess and there's a knife on the floor and blood on the carpet. Jo, what the hell happened? Where are you?!"

I cover my mouth when he paints a vision in my head. I close my eyes and I convince myself that the blood my dad refers to isn't hers. I want to think she put up a fight rather than her being seriously hurt. "I'm in LA because I wanted to look for the Angelos," I begin.

He listens even when I pause for a breath.

"I looked for them because I was worried Dante would come for her. It's such a long story, Dad, but I got the Angelos to watch for Mom in Seattle. They tried to protect her but Dante's men got to her first. They took her and now I'm trying to get her back. I don't know how yet, but I'm going to get her back."

I can hear my dad swallow through the line. "Sunshine, I don't want you getting hurt," he says to me and it makes me lean into Harry's body. I begin to sniffle and Harry warmly takes me into his arms. My dad then continues, "I was about to call the police."

"Dad, no... They won't do anything," I convince. "The Angelos are going to help me. I trust that we'll save Mom."

He sighs again. "Well, I can't just sit around and... Jo, what can I do?"

I contemplate what he asks. "You can-" I pause when a sudden idea leaves me hesitant to suggest.

"I can—what?"

"You can come here," I say and it comes as a whisper. I then sniffle again. "I'm currently in a safe house and it's underground. There's a lot of people in here and there's an infirmary but with no doctor. And if we save Mom, there's a terrible chance other people will get hurt. Please, if you can... I need you, Dad."

I shut my eyes when I prepare for rejection. I can already imagine my father telling me how illegal or career-jeopardizing the idea sounds. I can imagine him telling me to come home instead and to let the police deal with finding my mom.

"Okay," he says instead.

"Really?" I pull from Harry's arms and my breath hitches from the way I begin to cry.

"If you need me, sunshine, then okay. Just tell me where and I'll catch a flight tonight."

"Oh, good," I say with tears in my eyes. "Just book the flight and call me back with the time you land. I love you... I love you so much and thank you."

"I love you more," he says and I think he's crying, too. I hear it in his voice. "I'm going to see you soon."

"Yeah, okay!" I wipe my tears. "Please be safe."

I meet Harry's eyes as he waits through a round of goodbyes. When I finally hang up the phone, he turns his body to me. "Your dad's coming?"

I nod. "I didn't plan to ask him," I explain but my hiccup causes me to pause.

"I think it's a good idea, my girl," he assures, lifting his hand to touch my cheek. He's soft with a thumb stroke. "but tell me, why are you crying?"

"Because... I thought he would say no. I was so sure of it, but I asked anyway. But when he said okay—I don't know. I think it was the first time I've ever truly felt supported by him."

Harry hums as he uses his thumb to tuck my hair behind my ear. "You deserve the world, you know that?" he then says out loud.

He gets the corner of my mouth to lift. I sniffle one last time, wiping my cheek with my sleeve again.

"I mean it." He looks at me. "So I'm gonna give it to you."

When a small laugh leaves me, I ask, "You're going to give me the world?"

"Yes," he says as if he's entirely sure. "You have my support, all of it, my beautiful girl. When all of this is over, I'm going to give you the kind of life you deserve."

Deciding to take a break from the chaos happening around me, I stare into Harry's pretty eyes and I let myself smile. "What kind of life is that?"

"The kind of life where you have someone to rely on. The kind where you wake up to coffee every morning. My girl, when we settle down, I'm going to make sure you have three new books after every one you finish because I know you like to read."

"But where am I going to put them?" I lightly tease. "I read a lot."

"I'll build you a fucking library."

I laugh again. "When you say 'settle down', do you mean... live together?"

"Obviously."

"I think I missed the part where you asked me to move in with you." My cheeks now hurt from the way he has me grinning.

"Well, shit. I skipped that part, didn't I?"

I nod. "But that's okay," I whisper. "I'll just have you know when we live together, I'm going to need room for all my clothes."

He grins with me. "I'll build you a fucking closet, too. When we live together, I'm going to make sure the fridge is always stocked with your favorite coffee creamer. I don't care if it's one in the fucking morning, I'll run out to get you some if we run out."

"You don't have to do that."

"But I will," he whispers. "I'm going to make you so happy, angel. I mean it when I say I'm going to give you the world. I'm going to give you all the babies you want, too."

I want to cry again, but in the best way possible. "What if I want six?"

"Then we should get to work," he teases me as he tugs me towards him by the neck.

"I'm kidding!" I say, but he kisses my mouth.

"I'm not," he mumbles.

With a soft hum, I then ask, "What do you think about adopting?"

That's when he parts, just to look at me. "You mean give kids with shitty parents the kind of parents they  actually deserve?"

I nod.

"That's never off the table," he says. "I think that would make me happy since... I never got that."

This time, I kiss him. "I hope you know I'm also going to give you the world—everything good that's in it."

"As long as I have you," he whispers. "I'll be just fine."

I hug him once more as we're alone. As my heart wildly beats in my chest, I recognize just how lucky I am to have him.

As long as I have him, I'll be just fine, too.

hello! thank you for two million reads! that's like... a lot. i still can't process it but i'm forever grateful for each of you!!!

<3,
mila!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 19.2K 77
*MATURE CONTENT* (18+) PLEASE DON'T COPYRIGHT "Go fuck yourself Harry! this conversation is over you need to leave" I hate him so much, but I seem t...
228K 4.8K 49
They've known each other since they were eleven, inseparable best friends for as long as they can remember, but long distance and spotty behavior cau...
50K 932 30
WHEN POWER MEETS INNOCENCES Harry styles a mafia king, Louis a innocent boy who has suffered dearly at his fathers hands, what happens when the all...
48.9K 1.3K 53
*this story contains mature and explicit content.* [on going] rules, secrets, and lies all get uncovered eventually. and then what remains is the b...