π“ˆŠ A Poppy By Any Other Name

By bumblvee

*COMPLETED* γ€Œ"What are you doing?" Joel laughed at the awkward sight of Jimmy staring blankly down the hallwa... More

Act I
Act II
Act III
Act IV
Act V
Cutscene: April Fools
Act VI
Act VII
Cutscene II: Plastic Is Worth Diamonds When It's Easter
Act VIII
Act IX
Act XI
Act XII
Act XIII
Act XIV
Act XV
Act XVI
Act XVII
Act XVIII
Act XIX
Act XX
Act XXI
Act XXII
Act XXIII
Act XXIV
Act XXV
Act XXVI
Act XXVII
Cutscene III: Tendencies of Responsibility
Act XXVIII
Act XXIX
Act XXX
Act XXXI
APBAON Q&A!
Fanart!!
Act XXXII
Act XXXIII
Act XXXIV
Act XXXV
Act XXXVI
Act XXXVII
Act XXXVIII
Act XXXIX
Cutscene IV: Grian's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Act XL
Act XLI
Act XLII
ACT XLIII
Act XLIV
Epilogue [Petal's Diary Teaser]
β™‘Β°β€’β˜…~Thanks for Readingβ˜…~β€’Β°β™‘

Act X

1.5K 79 58
By bumblvee

Jimmy was still unsure how he'd survived his second period by the time drama club had reared its near unnerving head, but he'd done it. He'd gotten lucky when the teacher had told them they could choose their own partners instead of just pairing with whoever sat next to them, saving Jimmy from having to talk to Scott.

But now, Jimmy was sat in the row behind Scott and Zach, who wouldn't stop talking, during rehearsal. Fortunately, however, Fwhip had forgotten about the incident at the mall completely and now sat next to Jimmy, thankfully distracting him from the couple just a few seats away.

"Sheesh, the choreography for that fight scene..." Fwhip sighed. "That is not it."

Jimmy snorted. "Mr. Harding's going to have your head on a silver platter if he hears you said that."

Fwhip shrugged in response. "So? Harding isn't that scary." He glanced over to Grian and Joel, who sat a couple seats down from Fwhip. "Those two, though, are complete menaces."

Grian and Joel had been spending the whole time whispering amongst themselves and glaring at Scott and Zach.

"What if you take Zach and I take Scott?" Joel said suddenly, and Grian whipped his head around with an incredulous look on his face.

"Wha- what?"

Joel rolled his eyes, adjusting his sitting position. "Like, we could grab the prop swords, and-"

Grian snorted. "You realize thoss things are plastic, right?" he pointed out, and Joel rolled his eyes in response.

"Okay, but listen," Joel began. "If we whack them on the head with the swords-"

"They're plastic," Grian repeated.

Joel scoffed. "I know they're plastic! They can still hurt, though." He smirked in Scott's and Zach's direction. "And they can hurt a certain two assholes over there."

Grian sighed. "Joel," he said, sounding almost disappointed. "The prop swords are plastic. They can literally do no damage to anyone or anything."

"Oh, hush with your technicalities, and let a guy dream, would ya?" Joel snapped, a bit too loud.

Mr. Harding turned around from his place in front of the stage. "Boys," he said sternly. "Do you mind?"

Joel and Grian stopped talking after that.

It wasn't long before Mr. Harding and Ms. Gold had agreed on moving on from the fight choreography for the day. They called up the four boys, plus Mumbo, Lizzie, Cleo, BigB, and Joey, to work on the next scene, starting with Grian's entering line.

"Part, fools," Grian recited, barely looking at his script. "Put up your swords, for you know not what you are doing."

Martyn, Impulse, Ren, and Tango all laid their props on the ground before Mr. Harding directed, "Tybalt enters," as a cue for Fwhip.

"What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?" Fwhip read aloud.

"I do but keep the peace," Grian replied, now stealing a quick glance at his booklet. "Put up thy sword, or manage to part these men with me."

"What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, as I hate Hell, all Montagues, and thee. Have at me, coward!"

The students paused for a moment before looking to the drama teachers, as the script indicates another fighting scene between the servants of the Capulets and Monatgues.

Harding sighed. "We'll work on the choreo another time," he decided before nodding at Mumbo. "Citizen One, go on."

Mumbo nodded. "Clubs, bills, and partisans, strike and beat them down!" he read. "Down with the Capulets, and down with the Montagues!"

"Lord Capulet," Ms. Gold cued BigB, who cleared his throat quite vigorously, making Cleo giggle.

"What noise is this?" BigB recited. "Bring forth my long sword, quick!"

"A crutch," Cleo responded. "Why must you call for a sword?"

"My sword, I say! An old Montague is to come, and flourishes his blade in spite of me."

"Montague," Harding said, flipping the page of his booklet.

Joel stepped forward, not bothering to look at his script. "Thou villain, you Capulet," he said enthusiastically. "Hold me not and let me go."

Lizzie stepped forward as well, though only because she hated being blocked from the audience by Joel's cockiness. "Thou shalt not stir a foot to seek a foe."

"Enter the Prince," said Ms. Gold.

Joey began his long line, but Jimmy zoned out as his gaze drifted over to where Scott and Zach sat in the audience. Jimmy had told himself to forget about Scott, but the day had already proven that to be far more difficult than he imagined it would have been. Now, as he stared longingly at the cyanette, his chest ached more than it had that morning.

As Joey finished his paragraph and Grian and Joel began their scripted conversation, Jimmy found that Scott's eyes met his own, but only for a brief moment. The second blue met hazel, Scott tore his attention away to smile at Zach again.

Ouch.

Not only did that one time hurt, but it continued to be painful as Scott had looked back and forth several times, each time growing the now dull ache deep in Jimmy's chest.

"Romeo," Mr. Harding called out, startling Jimmy. "Earth to Romeo."

Jimmy blinked and shook his head, confused and almost dazed for a moment. "Right, sorry, uh-" His eyes darted over the page as Ms. Gold asked Grian to read his line again.

"Good morrow, coz," Grian recited.

Jimmy cleared his throat. "Is the day so yo-"

"Louder," Harding demanded, and Jimmy straightened his posture.

"Is the day so young?" Jimmy said again, projecting much better this time. He couldn't help but notice the amused grin on Grian's face.

"But new struck nine," Grian said, bringing his script down as he'd already memorized this set of lines. He looked thoroughly entertained while he and Jimmy went back and forth, though also a bit surprised at how familiar Jimmy was with this part now.

"Woe is me, for sad hours seem so long," Jimmy said. "Was that my father that went hence so fast?"

Grian nodded and said, "It was. What sadness lengthens dear Romeo's hours?"

"Not having which, what having, makes them shorter."

"In love?"

"Out-"

"Of love?"

Jimmy's chest tightened as he spoke his next line, "Out of her favor, where I am in love."

It would've been almost funny how similar Jimmy's situation seemed to be to Romeo's in the first scene of Act I if Jimmy didn't want to cry over the hurt and uneasiness that now began to drop into his stomach.

"Alas, that love, so gentle in his view," Grian continued, "should be so tyrannous and rough in proof."

Jimmy sighed. "Alas, that love, whose view is muffled still," he said, replicating the way he'd heard Scott read these lines before, "should, without eyes, see pathways to his will. Where shall we dine?

"O me! What fray was here? Yet tell me not, for I have heard it all. Here's much to do with hate, but more with love. Why, then, O brawling love and O loving hate! O any thing, of nothing first create! O heavy lightness and serious vanity! Mis-shapen chaos of well-seeming forms, feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, and sick health. In still-waking sleep, that is not what it is! This love that feel I, that feel no love in this." Jimmy paused, nearly out of breath. "Dost thou not laugh, my kin?"

Grian smiled a bit more before saying, "No, coz, I'd rather weep."

"Oh, good heart, at what?"

"At thy good heart's oppression."

"Why, such is love's transgression! Griefs of mine own lie heavy in my heart, which thou wilt propagate, to have it prest with more of thine. This love that thou hast shown do add more grief to too much of mine own." Though Elizabethan English was a bit more than difficult for Jimmy to understand, the bits and pieces that he could figure out seemed a little too perfectly fitting that he would play Romeo. "Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs; purged in a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes; vexed in a sea nourished with young lovers' tears. What is it else? A madness most discreet is a choking gall and a preserving sweet.
Farewell, my coz."

Grian's smile dropped a bit. "Soft, I will come along," he said a bit hesitantly. "And if you do leave me so, you do me wrong."

"I have lost myself," Jimmy read, gluing his eyes to the paper. It was easier to not stare at Scott that way. "I am not here, and I am not Romeo. He is some else where."

"Tell me in sadness who it is you love."

Scott, it's Scott-

Not again-

"What? Shall I groan and tell thee?" said Jimmy as he gripped his script harder than he should have. Not again, please not again-

"Groan? Why, no, of course not! But do tell who."

Jimmy steadied himself a moment by taking a bit of a deeper breath than normal. "Bid a sick man in sadness make his will," he said now. He hated how suddenly small his voice sounded. "Oh, word ill urged to one that is so ill! In sadness, cousin... I do l-love-" He cut himself off with a small choked sound somewhere between a gasp and a cry. He shook his head furiously. "S-sorry, I-"

Ms. Gold stepped forward. "Hey, it's okay," she said gently, prying the booklet from a shaking Jimmy's hands. She gave him a sympathetic smile and framed his cheek with her hand. "How about we take a little break? Relax a little."

Nodding, the blonde wrapped his arms around himself in attempt to calm down a bit. "Okay," he breathed. He wasn't quite crying (not yet, at least) but his face was red enough that it was near plausible.

Everyone seemed to disperse as soon as the word "break" left Ms. Gold's lips, but a good lot of the boys were disappointed when Harding called them back onto the stage to continue rehersing choreo while Ms. Gold led Jimmy out of the theater.

"Are you all right?" the drama teacher asked softly once in the hallway.

Jimmy almost couldn't decide between shaking or nodding his head, but shook it and responded with "I'm fine," anyway.

Ms. Gold gave him another sympathy-laced smile. "You sure?" she pressed gently. "Seems to me like you're pretty worked up about something." She paused, waiting for Jimmy to answer, but sighed and continued when he didn't respond. "Is Mr. Harding putting too much pressure on you?"

Shaking his head again, Jimmy tried to steady his staggered breathing. "No, I just-" He huffed. "I'm fine, Ms. Gold. Really. I've just been distracted."

She nodded. "Right. You know you can talk to me, right? We might just be getting used to one another, but I'm here to help you, you know. Don't be afraid to talk to me if you need to, okay?"

Jimmy nodded, and Ms. Gold's smile widened a bit.

"Alright. Let's try to get through the rest of rehersal."

Again, the boy nodded and followed Ms. Gold as she walked back into the theater.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...
22K 739 19
Scott is on the hunt for a Queen in order for him to take over Rivendell as King...Or so he was meant to be. He hadn't come out to his family yet, bu...
15.2K 720 13
Scott was a cold-hearted elf who cared about no one but himself, not even the Codfather, in fact, he hated Jimmy for his attempts at trying to become...
3.4K 110 25
[DISCONTINUED] Warning, this book contains: -Character death -Swearing -Violence -Torture -Suicide - An awful lot of chapters before the action actua...