The Rise of the Blue Phoenix

By RubyRose226

Ashley Romanova. The adopted daughter of Natasha, an Avenger since she was only the mere age of 12. After th... More

A/n
Chapter 1: The True Hero of Endgame
Chapter 2: Chaos
Chapter 3: Jean Grey
Chapter 4: Mutants
Chapter 5: History
Chapter 6: Jean Attacks the School
Chapter 7: Training with Magicians
Chapter 8: Memories
Chapter 9: Fighting Mutants
Chapter 10: An Unforgettable Encounter
Chapter 12: A Bittersweet Ending/Little Talks

Chapter 11: Rise in Blue Flames

10 0 0
By RubyRose226

 Ashley stood with the rest, trying to find out where Jean was and what she was doing. Ororo with a frown stared at the screen, dreading the moment that was nearing. After all, Jean was her good friend.

But this isn't the Jean Grey she knew anymore. This was the Dark Phoenix.

Meanwhile Ashley forced herself to go harder, harsher, more painful than ever. She strived to be better than her best. Everyone noticed this when they saw her train.

But they failed to notice how she was slowly breaking by the second.

Ashley felt more emotionally drained. She was petrified for this fight, but she refused to tell anyone how she felt. She couldn't burden anyone. She wouldn't.

Not again.

"We're getting closer to finding Jean," Ashley announced. Bucky cast a worried glance in her direction. "Ash, are you sure you're up for this?"

"Yes, Bucky," Ashley replied, crossing her arms over her chest, taking her bottom lip between her teeth as she anxiously chewed on it. "No one else can defeat the Dark Phoenix except for Logan Howlett, who — by the way —is still missing."

"You still haven't found him?" Ororo asked worriedly. Ashley lowered her face, a shadow casting over her features. "There's not a single trail left from him. He's just disappeared. As if he had vanished into thin air."

Silence was spread throughout the room. Ashley then heard a ping from her device. "We've narrowed down Jean," She said. She felt her hairs all stand on end, the goosebumps covering her entire body as if she just had an ice cube placed on her stomach underneath a blanket whilst sleeping. Ashley muttered, "I've got this."

"You're not alone," Ororo told her. "Let us come with you."

Ashley shook her head, "You're all staying here. No arguments-"

"But Romanova-" Rogue spoke up.

"No arguments," Ashley concluded. "I'm not letting you all get hurt or killed like the other mutants! You're all staying here! Only I can face Jean."

No one said another word as they watched Ashley walk out the room.

She was brave. She has got this, and she will succeed. I've got this.

Ashley turned around and walked through the corridors. She had plugged in an earpiece and swirled her hand around, letting herself get engulfed by blue flames as she was in her super suit. She walked past her room as she grabbed her prosthetic, attaching it to her now covered stump as she gently massaged the muscles. Ashley slowly breathed in once more before she finally left the facility, knowing Bucky and Wong were not that far behind. Her blue coat trailed behind her as she made her way to the center of the beloved city. She then turned to face the two men behind her. "Wong, can you help?"

And that is what Wong did. He created a portal and brought them all to the part of the city where Jean currently was. Jean was burning, as if her entire being was godly, but Ashley knew better-it was only the Phoenix Force. And as long as she didn't fear it, she would be okay. She would have to be okay. But she still couldn't completely get rid of the fear clawing at her throat.

With newfound confidence, Ashley walked towards the mutant that stood before her, all powerful. "Jean!"

Jean redirected her attention from a school building to Ashley, not moving a finger, only glaring at Ashley with eyes filled with blackness, hate clouding her judgment. "The mortal Jean Grey is no more."

Ashley's breath hitched.

"I am fire-made flesh," 'Jean' continued, "I am...the Dark Phoenix!"

And the flames surrounded both daughter and mother. Ashley felt the world around her changing. She instead focused on her own powers. "Jean! Please listen to me! You can't let the Phoenix control you!"

"Jean Grey can hear nothing! Speak only to the Phoenix!"

Ashley gritted her teeth, trying to release the complete tension in her body as she looked around, but her eyes finally landed right back on Jean, the full fury and might of the Dark Phoenix being exposed. The young teen didn't give up, and through the flames, she attempted to reach Jean's mind, clouded by such hate and anger, such fury and power. So much raw power, but trying to get in her head without a good way of defense was a bad idea, as Ashley was nearly blasted by a fireball hurling her way. She rolled out of the way and was beside a fire hydrant. Her eyes widened, getting back on her feet as another fireball was blasted at her, only it never reached Ashley, as the water surrounding her protected her.

Jean didn't react, instead, on the surface of a broken building, without lifting a finger, she brought up a lamppost, breaking it down to its molecular components and turned it into a large spear, launching it at Ashley.

"Oh you gotta be shi–"

She was cut off as she rolled out of the way, raising her hands, her palms facing Jean as the water was surrounding Jean at an extreme velocity. Jean extended her hand, redirecting the path and flow of the water. Ashley cursed in her head, now praying that she could overpower Jean. The air felt heavier, Ashley, with fire at her feet, was now in the air, attacking Jean with all she had. If she could get close, maybe she could save Jean. She would save Jean.

All the power that burned through her muscles was escaping her, weakening as she brought back the spear that was stabbed into the ground, using it against Jean. Jean didn't need anything else to show she was pissed except for the scowl on her face, looked at the spear and made it turn to dust. Ashley then launched herself at Jean but was quickly blown out of the way. Ashley fell into the debris, the wires scratching through her suit and leaving her in cuts. A groan passed through her lips, her arm instinctively going over her abdomen, hissing in pain. Slowly and painfully, she climbed back on her feet, creating small beams of energy, the spheres floating in her palms and slowly growing bigger as they gathered and attracted more energy. Ashley, now in a distance, threw both spheres, even creating an energy shield to block even more debris from falling on her. "I should've forced Steve to teach me how to use that shield, shit."

Jean opened her hands and absorbed the energy spheres, creating a giant energy blast and attacking Ashley, letting her fly back a distance but also grab her last second, nearly giving Ashley a whiplash. The energy was crushing, and it hurt almost as much as the Infinity Stones. It absorbed her very life force, the screams Ashley let out were blood-tingling, gut-wrenching and painful. She tried looking for any help, the extreme pain making her shut her eyes, but she felt it right there.

Power. She had barely reached power before, but here it was, and even with her hands bound, she grabbed the purple chain around her wrists, and tugged, pulling at it before it snapped. She screamed as she grabbed the chain and snapped it. She realized it was never chain for the infinity stone to unlock, no, she was breaking free from her fear, her own bounds. She opened her eyes in desperation, only to see Bucky and Wong attacking Jean. Jean let go of Ashley only to reflect the bullets and sword/magic and slam them back.

Ashley screamed in fury, making a building fall on Jean.

It was quiet for merely a second before an energy blasted through, strong enough for Ashley to fall off of the broken building.

Her eyes were wide, she couldn't scream from the shock as her view was covered by fire, buildings and the cries of her name.

She didn't remember when she had opened her eyes once more, but when she did, she was surrounded by white. Her eyes widened, "Woah, did I just die?"

No, you're still alive.

Ashley turned around and saw a large flaming bird, entirely made up of blue flames. She felt like she was imagining things, she had to be, right?

No, you're not imagining things. I live within your soul.

"So I'm guessing you're the Phoenix Force? The one that exists within me?"
Yes, I am the Phoenix Force, and yes, you are my current host. We must make this quickly, Ashley Romanova, because you may be breathing, you're dying from the impact of the fall. Let me help you.

"Why should I?" Ashley called out, "Because of you I murdered an entire city block when I was ten!"

Would you really like seeing me go mad? Phoenix asked her, I am a being of order, and if contained for far too long, I will go mad. It's like a prison if I don't surface too long. Ashley, I am asking you this: Let me save you, let go of your fear, let me help you, I will lend you my powers and strength as long as you help me find the order in the universe.

"What if I lose control?"

I would never choose a weak host, Ashley, Phoenix replied, You are possibly one of the strongest mentally people in this universe, and it is a good thing that Jean came here, in this universe and left you to the assassin.

Ashley stared at the Phoenix. "I will accept you on one condition: We work together, we will bring order, but together. You will not take over my life, and you will exist within me. I will allow you control especially over the enemies we face, but I will never let you corrupt me. Do you understand?"

A sound similar to a chuckle escaped the Phoenix. No one has ever dared to speak with me like that, youngling. Fine, I accept your proposal and shall follow what you say, but know this: I am a being, a living being just as you are.

"I know," Ashley said, "And that's what worries me."

The Phoenix then seemed to spin her around, and the sight before her got Ashley weak in her knees, a lump in her throat forming. She felt the air getting knocked out of her lungs as she saw her.

Natasha smiled as she saw her daughter, opening her arms as she hugged the young girl. Ashley couldn't believe her eyes. This wasn't real, this wasn't real. It was all in her head. Something was messing with her.

But she was real. She was standing before her, hugging her. Kissing the top of her head. Her mother was here. Ashley didn't hold back the tears that streamed down her cheeks. Natasha was back, she was here. She was as real as the sobs that tore out of Ashley's throat as she cried and cried. She hugged her so tight, afraid that if she were to let go, it would be for good. "Mom! I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I'm not the strongest girl you wanted! I'm so sorry!" She sobbed. Natasha soothingly rubbed her back, whispering to her gentle compliments, "You're my strong firebird, you're my little gem. There's nothing to apologize for, sweetheart. I'm the one who should be apologizing, because I left without saying goodbye."

"You didn't know what would happen it's–"

"I still should have said it, Ash, and I'm so sorry."

The hug was still as tight as ever, Ashley still sobbing into her mother's shoulder. It was calm, for now, until Natasha had to whisper something in Ashley's ear. "There's someone else here to see you."

Ashley felt Natasha wipe away the young girl's tears, stepping aside and revealing a man. He had red glasses, but still stared at her worried. Ashley knew who this was.

"Scott Summers," she greeted, a small smile over her lips. He returned her smile, his hand twitching as if he wanted to hug her, to be there for his daughter. Ashley could see the regret in his eyes, but this wasn't his choice. She knew it well.

The girl extended her hand, enough to give a handshake, but when he grabbed her hand, she hugged him, one of reassurance, one of understanding. His breath hitched, but he gratefully hugged back. He missed her entire life until now, so he would make the most of it. "I'm sorry," he said, not letting go of her. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, it's not your fault," Ashley reassured.The hug was cut short when she spun around and faced the larger flames that stood before her. "What's that?"

"It's you, Ashley," Natalia replied, and she was right. In the fire was a powerful version of Ashley, completely made up of flames, but in control. Letting go of the emotion. Fearless.

"You've been forcing yourself to feel nothing for so long, it's time you let go of all that emotion, Ash."

"But–NO. I can't do it! I can't risk hurting anyone! Not again!"
"But you can only defeat Jean if you let go of that fear. As long as you are steady minded, let go of that guilt, as long as you are brave, let go of that fear, all that negativity, please, Ashley," Natalia said, caressing her daughter's cheek. "You won't hurt anyone if you remember that you are in control."

"It's what corrupted Jean," Scott intervened, "The fear she had, and the fear the others had too. The fear from the Phoenix Force, but as long as you show you're strong-willed, you can keep control, I know you can."

Ashley saw his hand go through her, "Wait, what's going on?"

"You're waking up, Ash," Natalia said, a small, bittersweet smile on her face. Scott's green eyes looked at her, finally releasing his own guilt as Natalia was beside him. He spoke up, "You got this, Ashley."

They both faded away, Ashley running after them, but it was as pointless as running after clouds. The tears were warm and fresh, streaming down her cheeks. She then was face to face with the Phoenix Force itself, and she knew what the path ahead led to.

She would wake up, charged up with new, raw power, and she would be forced to fight Jean.

Ashley took a deep breath, and ran forward, her left hand still extended as she felt herself getting engulfed by the light.

And when she opened her eyes, she was met by the collapsing buildings. She got up, watching Wong and Bucky fight Jean.

Ashley extended a hand towards the skies. Her vision getting clearer, and she willed for the strength to get up, and the power to stop Jean.

Suddenly, a large column of blue flames came crashing down to her. She was swallowed by the fire, and she felt her strength return, and her power restore. She felt herself floating as her suit slowly burned into a less-torn version, and her wounds were healed up, clean and gone.

Every person was caught by the attention of the pillar of blue, even Jean and Wong. Bucky smiled, muttering the name under his breath. "Ashley."

At this moment, everyone can confirm that a person had arisen from the blue flames.

Ashley landed between Jean and Bucky, walking forward to stand ahead of Wong, fire trailing after her as she had a ball of blazing heat floating in her palm. Ashley stared at Jean, and then called the power that flowed within her flames. Her brown hair was gathered up around her, creating a fiery image behind Ashley.

Jean launched several pillars, breaking them down to create new objects from the molecules. Ashley burned them, calling upon the water from the fire hydrants and using it and the hydrants themselves against Jean, who only threw them aside like ragdolls. Ashley knew she had to find a weakness, and quickly. The young girl felt herself get flung off the building, but she caught herself and flew up, finally using everything she could. Phoenix Force in by itself could be impossible to defeat, but what about–

The host, the Phoenix spoke, Jean Grey is vulnerable. Hurt her, let her give over the Dark Phoenix, or let me rid her of the Dark Phoenix.

"Together, Phoenix," Ashley said, "Together."

Ashley got back up, and fought with Jean, fire flying all over the place, until Jean shot a glance at Bucky, sending fire his way. Ashley diverted it, but was caught by Jean, pulling her limbs apart in all directions. She'd never felt such immense pain before, crying from it, feeling herself being pulled in all directions, about to be torn. Her gaze met Wong and Bucky. She felt herself filled with fear, and the tears rolled down even faster with every cry.

Ashley let out a scream and fought against the restraints, her heart pumping blood even faster.

'But you can only defeat Jean if you let go of that fear. As long as you are steady minded, let go of that guilt, as long as you are brave, let go of that fear, all that negativity.'

It was easier said than done, but she tried, she tried so damn hard to forgive herself. To let go of her guilt. She had the memories of her mother, everything replaying to the last few seconds she had. Running after her, hugging her, dancing, karaoke nights, first crushes, her first sign of maturity, everything.

She had to let go of the guilt. The immense desire to give up on life, she had to release it. To release her fear, to face it.

She had to face her fears.

And that's what she did. With the thought of protecting others, Ashley screams echoed through the entire area, mixing up with an eagle's screech, the fire dripping from her eyes as she fought through the restraints, floating off the ground.

She felt herself get engulfed by the Phoenix, and all she saw was fire. Burning nothing, only Jean. Blue fire was seen as clear as day, and her power was bursting everywhere, but unlike before, she felt, she saw, she heard everything and for the first time ever, she felt in control.

She felt the heat surrounding them, gathering various items, breaking them down and creating sharp weapons out of them, her hand open and raised up to her head level, flames engulfing the metal.

She was breathing heavily, but she saw Jean limp upwards, the dark in her eyes only spreading, but Ashley was ready, launching everything and letting the Phoenix deliver the finishing attack. A form of a phoenix appeared behind Ashley, and charged at Jean, surrounding her enough to confuse her, trapping her, weakening her, and Ashley watched the power drain from Jean. Ashlety walked forwards, dropping her hand but still letting it hold the scorching heat.

Jean cried out as she felt her energy drain. When everything fell on Jean, Ashley knew this was the end for the Dark Phoenix, as it had been officially ripped out of Jean, and Ashley ran towards her. She blinked away her flames, and her heart had urged her to see the fallen Jean Grey. She lifted everything when she saw no movement, seeing the scarlet red contrasting the gray. Ashley ran beside her, getting on her knees, smiling sadly as she saw Jean gasp. "I'm sorry, sweetheart."

Ashley felt her eyes sting, but she fought hard to not let them fall for this woman. "It's okay. I only wish I got to meet you, when you weren't controlled."

Jean smiled, "One day, Ashley. My beautiful feather."

Ashley saw Jean close her eyes as she took her last breath. Ashley let a single tear fall down her cheek, and she found herself holding on tightly to Jean. Bucky came from behind her, walking next to her and helping her up. "I can't leave her here like this."

"Ashley, you need to get out of here, news reporters are coming. Wong!"
A portal appeared, and Ashley was dragged through it, the sight of Jean's body disappearing from her view, being replaced with the walls of the Avengers' Facility, and Bucky's face.

She wrapped her arms tightly around him, hugging him close.

Finally, there was peace. For Bucky, for the mutants, for Jean, for Scott, for Natasha, for Wong, and most importantly, for herself. She couldn't help the sobs that escaped her lips. It hurt, oh so badly, and she only wished one day, her life would change, for the better.

And from those sobs, she felt herself get dizzy and her sight grew black.

"Not again."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

270K 6.6K 41
"So after getting shot, your main priority was getting a sandwich instead of getting help" "Hey, they've got the best ones in Queens!" When the aveng...
108K 2.8K 47
MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON MY ENEMIES CAUSE' I WON'T. It was only very recently that young Annabelle learned of her true parentage. Thought to be killed i...
15.9K 555 25
It's an Avengers x female reader story. (this takes place in the first Avengers) Left behind by her birth parents and in the care of an elderly man...
87K 2.2K 57
THIS STORY HAS MOVED TO TUMBLR! Details given in the latest update. A story in which America's favorite Captain gives a new life and family to a five...