Labyrinth: Saving the Fallen...

By Jcross99

***This is a Labyrinth Fanfic. I bellieve you will be able to follow the... More

Uncontrollable
Fallen City
Discoveries and Injuries
The Danger of Beauty
Master Unleashed
Before I Go On
Vitera
Bound
When I Fall
Breaking Out
Root of All Problems
Sand Dwellers
Through the Boundary
Sina
A Promise to Keep
Warriors Among Us
A Much Needed Rest
Unhelpful Hands
Preparing for War
The Rift
Deep in Mud
Fight or Flight
Last Breath
The Glow of Edoneon
Walking on Clouds
Who I've Become
Into the War
Discovered
Chained
When Dreams Die
Revelation
Seeing is Believing
A Promise Kept
Finding Me
With You
Epilogue
Summary
It's Up!!
Surprise!!
So Much Trouble
Warm Rocks
Heartbeats
Next up
Partner
Summary of New Book
Two Sides of the Forest Preview
Two Sides of the Forest Prologue
Chapter One: Bloma
Chapter Two: Night Worth Celebrating
Chapter Four: The Land of the Forgotten

Caught in a Dream

2K 96 7
By Jcross99

The kingdom grew closer and closer as Desben led me down the middle path. Breeze swirled around my dress and I closed my eyes. “Are you alright?” Desben asked me. “Yes, just embracing the calm and peace I had been denied for so long” I said. Desben grunted and continued down the path. When we reached the outskirts of the city Desben stopped his movement and turned to me. “Would you like to walk alone?” He asked. “I would prefer the company if you don’t mind” I replied. Desben bowed his head slightly. I refused to admit that I asked him to come because I wasn’t sure what was to happen in the kingdom.

               The small buildings lined the dirt streets. The old, sturdy, wooden buildings were surrounded with life of plants and creatures. Fae walked around with a certain glow about them. I studied their elegant movement and how the interacted. The fae looked a great deal like humans but they had smaller frames and their skin, although they varied in color, were pale. Sun reflected from their skin and their hair took on such vivid color that I wasn’t even aware of such rich color. Their faces held sharp angles that their long hair couldn’t even cover up. Most of the fae had pointed noses and thin eyebrows.

               One fae in particular caught my attention. She was smaller than me but her long green dress made her seemingly uncommon fire red hair stand out. A male fae appeared beside her. He was quite a bit taller than her. He smiled to her and took her hand. She smiled as here twirled her in a circle to see her entire dress. Bending down, he kissed her hand and refused to let go. The girl, a little surprised, stood still until a large smile spread over her face. The boy offered her something that I couldn’t see. She nodded and took the object. The two ran to a house and ran inside.

               “Bunch of childish nonsense” Desben muttered bitterly. “What happened?” I asked him. “When a male fae is young he must choose a female fae to be what you say in your terms a wife. When he approaches and offers the girl his most prized possession, she can accept and agree to bind themselves for marriage when they come of age, or she can refuse. Normally, the female doesn’t refuse because the male must come to her earlier and start the bond by understanding her. They go to the kingdom counsel and test to see if they deserve each other. Fae bond for life, so the decision to bond is stressed greatly to be equally desired. Should the two be deemed unfit for the benefit of the kingdom they will be separated. To a female, to be chosen early is an honor. Creating a family is a high honor” He stated.

                “Why is it such a high honor to have a family? Wouldn’t overpopulation become an issue because of your immortality?” I asked. “For fae, conceiving a child is very hard. Not enough can accomplish having a child, so when they do, it is said to be an honor. Fae are immortal to an extent. We can live forever but that does not limit us to being killed” He said. I nodded and looked behind me at the house that the couple had run in. “Does everyone follow the guideline of the bond?” I asked. “For the most part yes, some choose unwise decisions such as running off and when their bond proves weak, they are disgraced from their family because a fae only bonds once” He said.

               “What happens when they decide to complete their bond?” I asked as we continued down the street. Fae started to become more abundant as we neared the center of the city. “They propose it to the families one last time for their blessing. Tonight I suppose will be a celebration for the bonding of the two fae. When they reached the age of complete bonding, they will hold an even grander celebration to show the kingdom their bond and that they are submitting themselves to the Underground as adults. Even though you are considered an adult after maturity, to bond is the final step” Desben explained as yelling of sales people and wild laughter of others reached my ears.

               The center of the kingdom was a market place. Mostly fae were all around yelling from their set up stores. Other creatures walked around among te faes. Some of the items being sold were strange looking food, alcohol, beautiful jewelry, elegant dresses and clothes, and crafted wood work like furniture. Desben strode through the market with ease because of his sheer size. I bumped into the fae and had to push through others. Desben looked behind him to me and recognized my struggle. He pulled me up beside him and made sure I didn’t fall behind. We wondered around the market for a while watching the fae hurry around with overflowing arms.

               I was drawn by the smell of something sweet. My nose guided my feet and I was in front of a woman’s stand. Desben followed my sudden change of direction. He eyed the stand suspiciously and gave a short nod to allow me to continue with my pursuit of what I wanted. The woman smiled at me and held up a rounded golden piece of what I imagined to be their candy. “This is the best treat in the entire kingdom miss. Would you like to try one?” She asked. I nodded eagerly and she handed the candy to me. When I took it from her, the golden candy felt soft.

               I imagined it would taste like a donut, but when I took a small bite, my taste buds exploded in the flavor and I closed my eyes. The outside of the candy folded into inside which had a silky texture. “This is simply indescribable. What is it made from?” I asked finishing it off quickly. “It’s a family secret passed down from generations ago” She winked. “It’s simply lovely” I said in adoration. “I will give you a small basket for three pieces of gold” She said holding up a small basket with about nine pieces of the rounded dessert pieces. “Oh, I-” “Here” Desben said handing the woman three gold coins and taking the basket. “Thank you; make sure to come back for more! I make them fresh every three days” She said flashing a smile in our direction.

               “Desben, you didn’t have to do that” I said. “I know, but its gold coins from the Queen and she demanded that we spend it. We have a couple more coins” He explained. I nodded and we continued to walk. We came upon a store inside a house with beautiful wood work. I began to walk towards the shop when Desben pulled my arm. “I don’t think we should go there” He said. “Why not?” I asked. “The woman in there is up to no good” He replied. “You sound like you speak from personal experience” I joked. “I’ve heard bad things about this place” He said standing firm before finally giving in.

               I walked into the store and a woman from behind a bookshelf walked out. “Good day” She said as I looked over some wooden jewelry boxes. “Are you interested in any particular style?” She asked. “No, I’m just looking” I said and turned back to the boxes. “Come with me, I think I have something that you will like” She said holing her arm out to the back room. “I believe it’s getting dark, we should probably start to make our way home” Desben said sternly. I bit my lip but knew I would get nowhere even if I tried to go against Desben.

               “How much longer until we are to return?” I asked. Desben looked to the sun and back to me. “We have a couple more hours” He said. “Is there any place we could go to rest without returning to the castle? I don’t want to go back but I want to just rest” I said. Desben’s face clouded over as he thought for a moment then nodded. “I have a place. It is just before the woods” He said.

               We made our way through the city and I took in all the sights. The buildings where the fae lived stood with life coming from everywhere including the slightest splinter of wood. The fae that stood outside their house moved their eyes to me in curiosity. I looked to Desben and his pace quickened. “Will your disguise to work. You’re flickering” He said. I thought about being fae and acting like them. I got an approving nod from Desben after a second and the attention from the fae ceased.

               We walked down more streets with other buildings and buzzing creatures of all kind. When we broke free of the kingdom and to the woods Desben relaxed. His shoulders sagged slightly and his walk became more natural. “Its right over here” he said leading me to a small open area. It was a space where a break in the trees allowed sunlight to meet the ground. I walked over to a tree in the light and sat down. I placed the basket of desserts next to my dress. I looked back up to Desben and he looked at me like I was insane. “Well? Are you going to join me or just stand there for hours?” I asked. “I’m supposed to be protecting you not having a picnic with you” He said intending the sting. “Ouch, well, I think you’ll do a lot better if you’re relaxed. Please, come sit or something because you’re making me uncomfortable” I said throwing a dessert in my mouth.

               He grunted and leaned on a tree next to me. “Why did you agree to guard me today?” I asked. “The king asked me to. I don’t defy my king” He said pulling out a knife and cleaning it. “Did Jareth ask you?” I asked him when I immediately recognized his words. “If he did, I wouldn’t tell you. Being the head Warrior entitles me to secrets” He said paying more attention to his knife. “Let me guess, you have so many secrets you’re drowning. I’d say this power is driving you crazy. The idea of secrets can be consuming and dangerous” I said throwing another dessert in my mouth and smirking at him. “What makes you think I’m consumed?” He asked looking at me for the first time. “I’m not saying we have a girl talk, but I’m not stupid.”Desben sat there watching me lounge on the tree and he muttered something. “Come again?” I asked. “I said you remind me of someone I know” He repeated. “Care to share? Or is it another secret?” I asked.

               “Press me and I’ll bring you back to the castle right now” He said angrily. The big man puffed out his chest. “Alright, but answer me this. What makes you think you can take me back without my own choice?” I asked. “I’d say that my strength can withstand your own” He answered. “There’s the point I wanted to get to!” I said but only got a blank stare in reply. “Teach me to protect myself” I stated already starting to rise. “Why would I do that?” He asked. “Because I know you don’t like babysitting. If I learn to protect myself, I won’t have to always be the one to be protected. I don’t like being protected all the time” I explained. “I learn the ways of the Warriors. You Sarah are not a Warrior” He said. “I may not be but please show me something. I’ll be off your back and you can go about your business” I said. Desben gave a short nod and approached me. He snatched my hands and pinned me to a tree. “Let’s begin.”

               I fell to the ground after hours of practicing self defense with Desben. He stood with his arms crossed watching me catching my breath on the ground. “What if I want to attack someone?” I asked looking up at him. He contemplated what to say and let out an exasperated sigh. “This is the last thing I will show you” He answered. Desben pulled out a knife and threw it next to my head. I gasped but he stood emotionless. “First…” He started and I listened intently. He told me what to do and I carried the attack out. “Good enough for today” He said holding out his hand and I handed his knife back.

               We walked back through the kingdom and to the castle without problem. The sun had gone down and the moon had risen. The creatures retreated to their houses and only the drunk few remained on the streets in front of the closed taverns. I held the basket with six desserts left. Desben opened the castle door and allowed me in. “Thank you” I said to him before turning and walking down the long hallway. I walked through the corridors exhausted. When I reached my bed, I fell on top and closed my eyes.

               I sat in a darkened room. I turned in a circle to find a way out but all around me was immovable black stone. Above my head, the ceiling was dark water. My curiosity took over and I got to my feet. I stood as high as I could on my tip toes reaching for the water. The dark liquid was just inches from my finger. I stretched my arm out further but couldn’t reach it. Suddenly, the floor shook and began to move towards the ceiling. I didn’t pay it any attention as my fingertip caused the water to ripple.

               On the other side of the ceiling something caught my attention. Another hand was reaching to mine. My eyes strained to see who was on the other side. The finger touched my own sending a shiver down my spine. The person looked into my eyes and I felt like my throat was being crushed. Jareth stared deeply into my eyes from the other side of the water. He was standing on a rock floor like me with his hand outstretched to mine. He gazed into me and his eyes flashed.

               Jareth was no loner Jareth. He had turned into Kilton. He smiled at me with a wicked grin and looked at my glowing wrists. The face on the other side of the dark water changed again and it was once more Jareth. He reached out and snatched my hand. With a sharp tug, he pulled me towards the water and I looked at him in fear. I tried to pull back but his strength was greater than my own. Then he switched back to Kilton and he pulled me to my shoulders into the water. “No!” I cried trying to pull myself out but soon my head was almost to the water.

               “I won’t let you take me” I said and pulled back. One of the two held onto me and I pulled myself out. The other hand was holding tightly to mine, not to pull me in, but to come with me. The arm pulled at my wrist and with fear in my gut I pulled them. The body emerged from the dark liquid and crashed down by my own. My wrists began to glow and burn then. I held my wrists with tears rolling down my cheeks. “No, no, no” I said trying to stop the pain.

               My head lifted from my pillow urgently and my face was soaked with tears. My mind flashed to the faces I just saw and I stood. I was confused and knew I had to do something. I rushed from the room with no clear plan. I was on the back, open corridor where the lake climbed the stairs and I began to run. I ran to look in each glass door until I finally stopped at the right one. My racing heart slowed as I quietly opened the glass door and stepped in. I didn’t know what I was going to do. I felt like I had no control of my body. I tried to turn back but some force stopped me and threw me forwards.

               I tackled the body out of the bed and we both crashed to the floor. Strong hands wrapped around my waist as my own hands wrapped around his strong neck. I pushed my thumbs down into his throat but as soon as I did, Jareth rolled over and forced my hands to the side. I tried to claw at him to let me  up but he held tight. Out of nowhere, I blinked rapidly until I regained all of my senses. I looked up at Jareth in horror. I was suddenly completely aware of my surroundings and looked to Jareth. He wore pants to sleep in and no shirt. His necklace hung from his neck and grazed my dress.

                He breathed deeply from the sudden movement and when he saw my recognition of what I tried to do he smirked. “You’re no match for me Sarah. We’ve been over this before” He said leaning down finishing the sentence in a whisper. I pushed at his hold but he held me firm. “No, I think I’m going to keep you here. Who knows what you’ll do if I let you go” He said. I pulled at hands again mortified and then pain set in. My wrists began to glow and I gasped. The burning sensation radiated up my arm and throughout my body. “Jareth” I gasped. He looked down at my wrists and pulled me up. I sat beside him on his mattress as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and held my wrists to absorbed some of the heat. We sat there until my eyes began to flutter closed from the exhausting tension in my wrists. I fell limp against Jareth's shoulder. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 187 33
Seaquil to Sarahs Return To The Labyrinth Sooner Than You Might Think. Co-written by KatarinaTheSaiyan. I suppose you dont necessarily have to read K...
132K 6.2K 38
Oh dear, the impossible has happened. I, the incredibly level headed ruler of darkness, have written a fanfic. Oh no. The world that you thought you...
3.4K 129 34
The 3rd book in my series with Roselea! The Labyrinth is in trouble again and Jareth has no control. He had no choice but to transport Roselea to the...
1.9K 108 15
Ten years after that night in the Labyrinth, she has made amends to her fractured life. Or has she? When Sarah Williams talks to creatures in her mir...