The Woman at The End of The W...

By VRLove7

Vanessa Taylor, a sassy blue haired, tattooed cosmetologist with a mouth of a sailor was born and raised in O... More

authors note
prologue.
new message.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
twenty.
twentyone.
twentytwo.
twentythree.
twentyfour.
twentyfive.
twentysix.
twentyseven.
twentyeight.
twentynine.
thirty.
thirtyone.
thirtytwo.
intermission.
thirtythree.
thirtyfour.
thirtyfive.
thirtysix.
thirtyseven.
thirtyeight.
thirtynine.
forty.
fortyone.
fortytwo.
fortythree.
fortyfour.
fortyfive.
fortysix.
fortyseven.
fortyeight.
fortynine.
fifty.
fiftyone.
fiftytwo.
fiftythree.
fiftyfour.
fiftyfive.
fiftysix.
fiftyseven.
fiftyeight.
fiftynine.
sixty.
sixtyone.
sixtytwo.
sixtythree.
sixtyfour.
intermission 2.0
sixtyfive.
sixtysix.
sixtyseven.
sixtyeight.
sixtynine.
seventy.
seventyone.
seventytwo.
seventythree.
seventyfour.
seventyfive.
seventysix.
seventyseven.
seventyeight.
seventynine.
eighty.
eightyone.
eightytwo.
eightythree
eightyfour.
eightyfive.
eightysix.
eightyseven.
eightyeight.
eightynine.
ninety.
ninetyone.
ninetytwo.
ninetythree.
ninetyfour.
ninetyfive.
ninetysix.
ninetyseven.
ninetyeight.
ninetynine.
intermission 3.0
onehundred.
onehundredone.
onehundredtwo.
onehundredthree.
onehundredfour.
onehundredfive.
onehundredsix.
onehundredseven.
onehundredeight.
onehundrednine.

nineteen.

1.7K 50 9
By VRLove7

It's been a month since we brought the citizens of Woodbury back to the prison. During that time, Daryl, Kelly, and I would bring back anyone we discovered on our runs. The three of us go out twice a week, scavenging, and scouting people out. I was glad to be back out in the field. Though, I still feel the threat of the Governor looming over our heads. It's not over. I can feel it in my soul.

Speaking of Daryl, things seem to be back to normal between us, for the most part. We had our long-promised talk and worked things out. Not long after, he moved his stuff into my cell now that we have more foot traffic through the prison. Some nights he takes the floor, but on the harder nights, he crawls into bed next to me.

Kelly and Charlee found their own cell. Their reason being, "the lovebirds could use their own room." I still view Daryl as a friend, but once or twice a day, someone has made a similar comment about us being in a relationship. Awkward, am I right?

Kelly had started seeing one of our newbies; her name is Isabella. She's a beautiful blonde hair, green eyed sweetheart. In my opinion, she brings out some of his better qualities. Maybe he finally found someone who can battle and conquer his demons with him. Charlee has become quite smitten by someone we brought in last week. Like her, Ezra has black hair that kisses his shoulders, and a tattoo sleeve that's dedicated to horror movie icons. I couldn't be happier for the both of them.

Rick started a farm to feed our ever-growing company. I found him a few weeks ago, asking if I'm able to start my own garden for herbs. I pointed out a small section I could weed out, and fence around, so people would know it's not part of the food. He gave me a very knowing look when he agreed. Much like Hershel, my own practice is very important to me.

I've spent more time with Carl, Maggie and Glenn. Even taking over with helping Carol and Beth care for Judith. It took me awhile to step up, given the whole Sophia thing and losing my own little Luna. Carol understood my deposition. At first, I struggled with my mixed feelings. As a woman, I had to talk my ovaries down. Though, I know it would be next to impossible to have a small human, thanks to Owen. Eventually, I won, and am able to hold and feed her without getting that wretched baby fever. Motherhood is not made for me in this world, anyway.

I stalk across the storefronts, finding one of the metaphysical sorts. Before I get too excited, I study from the outside, watching for any movement of the undead kind. Once I determine it's clear, I motion to Daryl and Kelly that I'm going in.

Sure, this isn't on the list of needs; I decide upon finding this that it's on mine. It's time to check something off my bucket list. We got everything else we needed for everyone else back home at the prison.

"Give me a minute." I mouth to them. I watch as they lean against Kelly's black truck. He found one that caught his eyes during a run from a few weeks ago. He got tired of riding bitch between Daryl and me.

I kick the door down, crouching down behind the wall, waiting just in case I didn't see any of the dead that could've been hidden deep inside the store. Only one stumbles out, I jump up, cutting it down with my knife. I step over the body, walking inside the store. Thankful I had decided to grab two of my bags, I start putting seeds, crystals, incense, candles and anything else that catches my attention in my bag as I walk the isles.

I pocket a few coins and a plastic bag from behind the register. I strut back over to the candles, stuffing the left over black and purple ones in the bag I took a second ago. I tie the bag close, wrapping it around my sword.

Once I'm done, I saunter out, handing my bag over to Kelly so he can put it in the passenger seat of his truck.

I shrug when Daryl's eyes find mine. "The world is gone to shit," I point to the store now behind me, "and those places are expensive as fuck. I always wanted to raid one. Now we have to find a bookstore someday." I grin as he chuckles, shaking his head.

"Maybe we should find a sex shop, next." Kelly shares a cheeky smirk with me while Daryl's face becomes a bright red. He brings his hands up, hiding. Too late, we already saw it.

It was my turn to blush remembering how he found me when The Governor had kidnapped me. I wince at the memory. I wasn't exactly feeling the need to cover up; I was more worried about making it out alive.

"I have one more stop before I head back home. You can come with me if you want, or I can meet you back at the prison." I offer, wanting desperately to change the subject.

"Where?" Kelly asks as he starts the truck. "The sex shop?" He giggles, "when was the last time you got laid anyway?"

"You." I run my hand through my hair, not wanting to go down memory lane. Kelly would bring that up in the worst possible moment.

"That's -" Daryl runs his hands along his face, not wanting to listen to this. "Wait, over two years ago?! No wonder ya mean."

He did the math? I whirl on him, cocking my head. "Maybe, what's your excuse?"

He sputters at my sudden attention, "I -"

"I think y'all need to fix that." Kelly interrupts.

We both spin around, balking at Kelly, "man, shut the fuck up!"

Shaking my head, "anyway, I'm going to visit an old friend we buried a long time ago." I kick my feet over, turning my bike on. Daryl's motorcycle purrs a second later. I pull out heading out to a familiar destination, with my boys behind me.

I carefully pull into the farm, keeping my eye out for any stragglers from the night we got forced out. Upon my inspection, it's clear. I bring my bike to it's old spot. I get off, not waiting for Daryl or Kelly. I find Dale and Sophia's grave. Untying the bag, I place a black candle on both sites, lighting both of them.

"Mother Goddess, I release myself from those who left this plane, and let them walk the blessed gardens of summer land." I pray, on my knees. First at Dale's grave, then again at Sophias. When I'm done, I place the coins as an offering for Hades.

While the candles burn, I return to Dale. "I miss you, old man. I hope I'm making you proud." I wipe a stray tear that starts to fall.

"He asked me what my plans with ya were." Daryl's voice comes from behind me.

I laugh, "what did you say?"

"'I don't know.' He always saw shit no one else seen." He wraps his arms around my shoulders, bringing me closer.

Andrea's last words to Daryl and I replay in my head ,"you were made for each other." My heart sinks further, remembering another fallen friend.

"I barely considered you a friend, you know." I choke, "yet somehow, I trusted you almost as much as I trusted Dale."

"I know. I think he saw ya as a daughter. Andrea, too. Hershel sees ya as one of his girls now." He continues at my silence, "he'd be proud. Ya came a long way. I'm proud."

"You did, too, Dare." I whisper. I pull our attention skeleton I see a few yards away. "That's Shane. We can't bury him. Can you burn him?"

"Why?"

"He was still one of us. He was still part of the group who saved me. Its my way of making peace." I hand him some coins. "Place these on him before setting him on fire." I'm not angry anymore.

He nods, understanding in his eyes, walking off towards the remains that were once Shane. I spin on my heels, heading for the farmhouse. Thankful to see it's still standing. I motion for Kelly to follow me.

I open the door, walking in like I had so many times before. My soul hurts. This was a simpler time compared to what we faced with the Governor. We only had to worry about Shane becoming unhinged. I laugh, realizing he and the Governor probably would've been the best of buddies, bonding in their hate for our Rick.

"That room over there has medical supplies and machines we might need, can you grab them?" He stalks off. I turn, heading for the bedrooms, finding sentimental items I heard the family speak about. I grab them, a few pictures and various objects. I riffle about, finding a bag. I move everything into a bag.

After an hour, I walk out, closing the door behind me. I make my way to the truck, setting everything in the passenger side floor. I don't want these blowing away or getting broken.

I get back on my bike, sending the farm one last look. I kick off, heading back home.

Glenn opens the gates at our arrival. I pull in, with Daryl and Kelly behind me. I turn off the engine to my baby, strutting over to the truck. I open the door, grabbing my bags.

"Where's Hershel?" I question Rick when he comes over to greet us.

After he points me in the correct direction, I stalk inside, meandering my way until I spot the older man. He's sitting with Beth and Maggie, doing their weekly bible reading.

"Hey guys, don't mean to interrupt. I come bearing gifts." I set the bag down on the table in front of them. "I stopped by the farm." I look down, not wanting to see their reactions. "I grabbed some stuff I thought had some value to your family... thought you might want it."

Maggie starts rifling through the bag, "you didn't have to..."

"I know... I wanted to. I wanted to see Dale, anyway. I figured that while I was there..." I motion to the backpack in front of us.

"Thank you, Vanessa." Hershel stands, dragging me into a hug.

I nod, stepping away a few seconds later. "Beth, when you're done, I have seeds I want to plant. You're welcome to join. I could use some company that isn't full of testosterone." She smiles, accepting my offer.

I've been weeding out the small section of the yard over the last few weeks. Daryl helped me create the gate; he gifted me a small sign that reads "Vanessa's Witch Garden" once the project was done. He kept an eye out with me during our runs for what I needed. Thankfully, today had that and so much more in store for me. Rick lent me his trowel, so I could get the seeds in the ground.

The packets of rosemary, thyme, lavender, sage, mint, basil, and parsley sit off the side as I begin to shift through the soil; realizing I have no idea what I'm doing. I run a dirty hand through my hair, growing frustrated.

"Hey girl." I call over my shoulder at Beth's approach.

"You really have all of our steps memorized?" She asks, coming to kneel next to me.

"But Daryl's. He's too quiet." I peer over at her, "Owen would come home in a rage sometimes, I taught myself to tell the difference of when he was angry, or in an alright mood. It was my way of trying to survive." I shrug, "it's a habit now."

"I'm sorry," she offers. "You and Daryl are quite close. I'm glad y'all are back together."

"Back together? You mean friends again?"

She smiles, "oh I just thought! You guys are great together."

I laugh, "everyone seems to think so."

"You don't?"

I sit back for a second, watching the beautiful girl next to me. "I don't know. I don't think I'm the type to find love in this world."

"My sister did, with Glenn. I did with Zach." She hesitates, "you like him, don't you?"

I nod, reluctantly.

"So tell him!" She throws dirt at me, grinning.

"I don't know, Beth. I don't want to ruin our friendship. Feelings and I don't really get along."

"You won't. Everyone sees it, you know. I have a feeling you won't regret it."

We make small talk over the next hour as we work diligently in the Georgia heat. Soon, Hershel limps over, letting Beth know it's her turn to take over baby duty, giving Carol a break.

At her departure, he asks about the benefits of each herb I'm planting.

"Thank you, by the way." I place the trowel down, glancing up at him, "I've met a lot of people of god that looked down their nose at me."

"It's the end of times; we find in comfort in our own beliefs. Yours might be different than mine, but I can still respect it." At that, he leaves.

I return to my task at hand, finding peace in the tedious work. I sit back once I'm done. Movement in the tree line catches my attention. I shield the sun out of my eyes, peering over in the direction. It's probably a walker, I thought to myself. I take closer look; a decision that causes my blood to run cold.

The Governor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

240K 5.2K 96
(Currently under rewriting so certain parts of the story may not make sense.) "My name is Lydia Nicole Dixon I grew up in the state of Atlanta with m...
223K 4.7K 72
" Children shouldn't play with guns." " Who said I was playing ?" Maya Rosewood was twelve years old when the turn happen. Dead rose to eat the livi...
29 0 10
A girl who waited her whole life for this moment was met with a cold reality check. In this story Natasha wished something more would come out of her...
315K 9.3K 104
[seasons 4 - 11 ] STRANGERS TO FAMILY, 𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙖 𝙜𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙥 𝙤𝙛 𝙨𝙪𝙧𝙫𝙞𝙫𝙤𝙧𝙨 𝙖𝙢𝙤𝙣𝙜𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙢𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙞𝙧 𝙬𝙖�...