Now You See Me | Thomas Shelby

By AngeleParker

And now you see me, in all my glory. Without the cover of darkness, I am what I am- you are who you are. PEAK... More

cast and dedications
playlist
act one
one; a glimpse of the future
two; suits and armour
four; bloody noses
five; mothers intuition
six; whiskey skies
seven; expect the unexpected
eight; polly gray, gypsy extraordinaire

three; cakes and amber-jack

654 23 17
By AngeleParker

When Polly-Anna had asked Thomas Shelby for a hand, she hadn't expected him to agree. On both Friday and Saturday, he said he was free to make sure Amber-Jack didn't get into any trouble, and whether or not she trusted the man-- well... she'd just have to wait and find out.

Friday had gone by smoother then she had originally expected.

Having spent the previous night cooking and baking in small batches, from Shepard's pie to soups— and the Shelby's cake that Amber had been badgering on about for weeks, Anna was tired.

It, the Shelby's cake, wasn't much of a cake, a small one tiered round little thing- vanilla since chocolate was still too far out of the Wallace's budget- but it made the whole house smell of what she thought the rich smelled every waking moment. If she could, Polly-Anna would have the house smelling like that every day of the year. Not only was it pleasant, but it made her feel... happy? Uncontrollably happy.

Uncharacteristically happy. Even the sisters mother noticed the change in emotions from the eldest girl, not that she'd be around much to see it though. No, in fact, the very second Ester Wallace saw her daughter and stepdaughters happy faces, she sulked back off into the back room. Pretending that neither of them existed.

The baked good smell lasted all the way through to the afternoon, when Polly-Anna had to leave for school collection. Having left in the morning to drop Amber off and start work, the smell had clung to their clothing, only wearing off as they walked through the windy streets. The same couldn't be said about the return trip, though. Despite it lingering in their home, sadly the smell of slightly burnt vanilla could no longer engulf Polly-Anna as she walked.

Arriving early, Polly-Anna found herself a little wall to sit on, none of the three school bells had rang yet- too many people were still around for that, but it was... nice to see so many new faces. So many new faces she wouldn't be seeing again.

Whilst waiting for her class to pile into the playground, she had failed to notice the Shelby boys- two, approaching her. For a moment, she had played it off, ignoring their incoming presence into her space, until the older one began to speak.

"You Anna?" His gruff voice broke the silence that she didn't really want broken.

She shrugged, turning slowly on the balls of her heels. For a teenager, he sure had quite some stubble growing on his face- there was no way he was anywhere near her age! Maybe it was his cousin, or-- God forbid, his father.

"Yes, or no, lady." He added, brows beginning to knit together.

A short burst of uncontrollable laughter rippled through her body. Thomas struggled to keep a scowl on his face like his brother, who probably thought the girl had just escaped the local institution.

"This is Arthur, he's my older brother." Thomas spoke, knocking Arthur gently on the back.

Based off of first impressions, those two couldn't have been more dissimilar. Arthur looked older, more stern— but like he hadn't an idea of how the world was going to form around him. Whilst Thomas looked like a child, who had the world already sussed out— like he was the one to rule the world, no matter what was thrown at him. A psychic or something.

"Then sure, I'm Polly-Anna."

For a moment, Arthur's face contorted into a look of frustration. He hadn't asked her if she was Polly-Anna, he had asked her if she was Anna. His mind hadn't quite made the conclusion that Anna was merely a nickname.

"That's her whole name, Arf. I just call her Anna because Aunt Pol asked me why I was talking about her like she wasn't in the room." Thomas interjected, making Arthur nod his head in understanding.

"... so why are we looking after this kid then, if she's about?" Arthur added, attempting to whisper but failing.

Polly-Anna bit her tongue, her hands clenched into closed fists, knuckles burning white.

Forgive me father, for I wish to bash this mans head with a cake tin, she thought as she watched Thomas clap the side of his head with a light, flexible book. Thank you, God, she added onto that, maybe wishes do come true.

"I've got to work, if you really have to know. Heard your lot are going to a christening and if you want your mother walking through church with a half assembled garment then I'll take Amber-Jack home with me now." Though she had intended the sour tone in her voice, she hadn't intended to snap at either of them.

It wasn't their fault, or hers— it wasn't anyone's fault, really. Life was just easier for some and harder for others.

"Sorry—"
"Nah, don't you apologise... shoulda' just kept me trap shut."

"No harm done, Arthur—" before Polly-Anna could continue, the sound of a herd of angry elephants became ever louder.

Said elephants could be no other than Amber-Jack and her new lifelong friend, John Shelby. Yet another reason for the two families to become intertwined in fates line of succession.

John Shelby looked similar to the elder two male Shelbys, but just as different too. Those blue eyes were clearly the dominant strain, and the boyish smile too. But, not a single one had the same hair colour- Arthur's was a reddish brown, Thomas's was almost black and John? Could've been mistaken for a Wallace with those blonde tufts that grew from atop his head.

"Heard you've got us cake, Miss Anna!" Little John piped up, almost spear tackling the unsuspecting Thomas to the ground.

Polly-Anna shot a glare to her little sister, but not an instance did that glare hold anything negative. The cake was supposed to be their knowledge when the Wallace Sisters showed up at their door- not in the middle of the playground.

"It was an apology cake, but big mouth over there had to take the fun of surprising you together." For once, her tone was light- and an almost joking tone could be detected.

Almost.

"I just got excited! He's my friend now—"

For a moment, Polly-Anna had hoped for something less than friendship between the two but she knew in the long run that it'd be good for Amber to know others her age. She seemed smitten with the young Shelby boy, maybe they'd be making mud pies near the cut when it rains, or getting themselves into fights they can't get out of outside the Garrison.

"Right, you two. Off we go!" The oldest of the bunch ordered but neither of them listened, not until Polly-Anna cleared her throat.

Arthur didn't know how she did it. She reeked of maternal energy, she had such a way of getting people to do what was needed in order for the operation to run smoothly— it was almost like she had a lifetime of experience.

But of course, what did Arthur Shelby know.

The group of five began to walk, Amber throwing her book bag into Polly-Anna's arms, allowing herself to run forward with the ever so energetic John. Arthur sulked behind, wondering how he had gotten himself roped into this whole thing, and Thomas? He was wondering why Polly-Anna didn't dare call him anything other than his full name.

"Who woulda' thought! Three Shelby boys and the two mysterious Wallace girls, walking together— in harmony!" Arthur called out, causing no one to turn around, or laugh- so he walked even slower.

Though, his eyes were constantly walking away to stare at a pretty red-headed girl he had only ever seen in passing. A girl who didn't even know he existed. Polly though, she knew all about her. Too much, actually. The girl wasn't a good person, a toxic soul but her intentions weren't always dipped in poison. She did, once, save a cat from a tree... which wasn't necessary- the three was barely three feet off of the ground.

The walk was quicker than Polly-Anna had anticipated, but once they reached the Shelby residence, her bag was handed over to Thomas- along with the cake and another Tupperware container of some sort of mystery meal.

"It's her supper, in case I'm not finished at the tailors... but! No later than nine, I'll be here and if you need me, I'm just down the road— Amber-Jack, you be good or I'll have to get Arthur to eat your slice of cake, alright?"

The girl ran circles around her older sister before disappearing with John into an unknown area of the house. Thomas nodded along as she spoke, taking note of everything he deemed important.

"Don't you worry, Anna— I can call you Anna, right?"

"Yeah- no- yeah, of course you can. You're literally saving my life right now, you can call me Shelley if you really wanted to."

Why did she just say that? Why did I just say that?!? Thomas had a way of making her brain and mouth lose signal and all that could be heard was the dial tone. It was as irritating as it sounded, but fate was a wicked being.

"She's safe with me, alright? Go work, we'll be here when you're done."

There was something about Thomas's tone that settled the ever growing pit in her stomach. It had been the first time she had left Amber-Jack with anyone but a neighbour and she wasn't sure if she should. But— the dress and suit needed to be done by Saturday night, no exceptions.

As the door closed, and Polly-Anna had her back towards the door- Thomas was stood in the exact same position. Both their hands rested on their hips, exhaling heavily.

"Right, Amber! You ready for a wonderful experience?" Thomas asked, walking towards where the two youngest had disappeared to.

"Right, Anna— let's get this dress finished." Polly spoke to herself, slowly making her way from where she had been glued to the tailors.

What could possibly go wrong?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

825K 22.2K 53
In which Thomas Shelby draws up an alliance between his family and that of his rival, not knowing that it's to have far more complications than he th...
2M 47.1K 51
Because every girl needs their own prince charming, but some girls need their own birmingham gangster. •BOOK ONE COMPLETED• •SEASON ONE- SEASON TWO...
569K 19.1K 56
After an unexplainable accident Annabelle finds herself hundred years in the past. In the boom of the 1920s, the era of Jazz and bootleggers. But it'...
748K 21.1K 50
Dorothy Monroe is a petite woman with a heart too big for her chest. She's pure, kind, she looked at the world and determined all the colours of natu...